Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,951 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans (744 Views)

Why Nigerian Guys Are Refusing To Marry / Swiss Woman Married To A Nigerian Thought She Would Never Have Children (Photos) / Woman Married To Dead Man For 5 Years - The Sun (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans by Professor822714: 9:18pm On Jul 27, 2023
In the next few days, i will be dropping some tips on the following Differences as they manifest in relationships between Nugerian guys and AA women:
1.Differences in culture
2. Differences in family values
3. Differences in relationships with the opposite sex
4. Differences in hygienic standards
5. Differences in spousal roles.
6. Differences in settling masters/issues
7. Differences in finances

Re: Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans by Eriggs: 9:32pm On Jul 27, 2023
Interesting.
Btw, are you married to one?

Re: Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans by otipoju(m): 9:33pm On Jul 27, 2023
No go area for me.

I value my peace of my mind and tranquility.

Re: Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans by cococandy(f): 2:47am On Jul 28, 2023
otipoju:
No go area for me.

Then the thread is not for you?

Re: Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans by armyofone(m): 3:39am On Jul 28, 2023
Let me carry chair come.
Re: Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans by Professor822714: 7:05am On Jul 28, 2023
Yes i am o. 4 years lol
Eriggs:
Interesting.
Btw, are you married to one?
Re: Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans by Professor822714: 7:05am On Jul 28, 2023
Haha. Why do you say so?
otipoju:
No go area for me.

Re: Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans by Professor822714: 7:49am On Jul 28, 2023
So as promised here we go:
1.Differences in culture: in marriage at least from my experience, they would want you to take them out for dinner, beach, sight seeing after marriage o! So don't expect to fashi those things after dating. Dressing is also a factor, if you guys are going out especially to naija function, you need to school her on greeting ( formal rather than informal) for elders- no mummy hi tinz! Also if you guys are expecting kids, you need to be firm in standing for your values in terms of naming the child and whatever things you want done in that regard.
2. Differences in family values: As a naija guy, you need to bring your strong family values to create an atmosphere of order. A sizeable number of AA ladies didn't grow up with a father figure ( lemme speak for my case only sha), so being able to get that strong male figure in the house is something they value a lot. Some had runaway dads and abusive uncles, so there might be a lot to unpack and you could sometimes feel like a therapist. Cooking is a big issue- so for us Nigerians- there's foods from west, east, north, south-south, middle belt,etc. For them, it appears it's just soul food and fast food (I may be wrong). So if you're waiting for that pounded yam and egusi, broda wa gbo bi Galilee because it's not gonna happen. Some might take the initiative to learn some naija meals but be prepared for some coaching in the kitchen to explain the consistency of iyan vs mashed potatoes.
Finally, insist on repect! Their culture has lost a lot of respect for elders, women and even sacred things. Put your foot down as the head of the home and earn, maintain and uphold your respect by being a man- no cheating, gimmicks and funny games. Be open and honest always and support her in everything.
3. Differences in relationships with the opposite sex: If you're the type that has naija besties, I have bad news for you-it won't work cos the word on the street is every African man has a wife back home, so that bestie falls bang into that category and you either have to hide the friendship or get rid of it otherwise there will be noise.
4. Differences in hygienic standards: This is a tough one. Basically, as an African guy cleaning up the house is a daily affair, however depending on who you've got, that might be a tall order. Some people believe in showers certain number of times a week. I'll leave that there for now....
5. Differences in spousal roles: You will face the 304 giant and God help you here. In my opinion decide on the bills early on. Don't allow her to make you think cos you're am immigrant and maybe working a mid level job, it's ok she pays the bills, NO. Insist on paying a significant amount even if it's hard cos on the day there is yawa- she will finish you on this one! If it's a rental property, decide on the % to pay. If it's a mortgage same too. On the other hand you could foot the utilities while she pays the Mortgage.
6. Differences in settling masters/issues: Wisdom.is key in this one. AA"s believe in noise ( remember Davido's case). So guard your family people especially the close ones cos when her noise gets to them it will appear like you broke bottle on her head- meanwhile it was just a plate you broke in the kitchen! In this area it's very annoying and you need to understand that the way they handle their matters is very different from us naijas. The noise they will make over a small matter is amazing!
I know there's a lot I can still add, plus others will still add theirs too, hopefully.
Overall, there's no way to change people like we all know but there's ways to adapt to different cultures and situations and make something out of them.
Responses welcome !

Re: Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans by Lungdick: 7:54am On Jul 28, 2023
fp material!
nice write-up OP lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans by ghettochild(m): 11:13am On Jul 28, 2023
You see that part u mentioned about them making a mountain out of a mole hill..
Got me laughing.
Anyways one has to be patient with em while still standing the manly ground....
And on issue of bills
They have to both come to an agreement on how it's been split...
The older ones are more understanding than the younger AAs.

Re: Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans by austine4real(m): 11:58am On Jul 28, 2023

I wan go amelika who go help me

Re: Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans by fyzaila: 12:05pm On Jul 28, 2023
Is it that there aren't calm and peaceful ones? It seems all of them have this inbuilt loud attribute.

Re: Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans by Professor822714: 6:55pm On Jul 28, 2023
I guess its a form of adaptation to Americn racism and police brutality? Rap music didn't sem to help, plus broken homes.
fyzaila:
Is it that there aren't calm and peaceful ones? It seems all of them have this inbuilt loud attribute.

Re: Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans by fyzaila: 7:48pm On Jul 28, 2023
Professor822714:
I guess its a form of adaptation to Americn racism and police brutality? Rap music didn't sem to help, plus broken homes.

You're right there.

Re: Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans by bukatyne(f): 8:37pm On Jul 28, 2023
austine4real:

I wan go amelika who go help me

Picture quote is quite funny 😁 😂 😀 😄 😆 🤣 😁
Re: Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans by austine4real(m): 9:26pm On Jul 28, 2023
bukatyne:

Picture quote is quite funny 😁 😂 😀 😄 😆 🤣 😁

When you dey go carry me for booth grin

Re: Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans by Kemadealadire(f): 10:09pm On Jul 28, 2023
Avoid cheating, they aren't like the average Nigerian woman who will tolerate and take nonsense because of what other people will say.

Re: Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans by Professor822714: 10:51pm On Jul 28, 2023
100% right. They will bring the house down...literally. Thats if they dont have a firearm to boot. I guess thats always a culture shock for naija dudes that are fond of playing games with the ladies with zero consequences.
Kemadealadire:
Avoid cheating, they aren't like the average Nigerian woman who will tolerate and take nonsense because of what other people will say.
Re: Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jul 29, 2023
Kemadealadire:
Naija men are aware of this,that is why they insist of naija wives at the end of the day.

Despite their poverty -induced ranting daily about our women. They know we are still the best. That makes them still fly back to naija to get a wife even after escapades with other women.

Because,who will be aware of your several side chicks and even know them physically yet still stay?
Or suddenly find his love child on your doorstep but still stay?
Or be aware that you grope the house maid or secretary but instead of leaving initiate the dismissal of such staff?

Even the ones swearing they will not tolerate it will do that but they only way to balance it is to bill him to his nose as compensation for your predestined ordeals

Re: Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans by ideamonster: 2:48pm On Jul 29, 2023
grin great one op
Re: Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans by Aaaaarghmed(m): 3:58pm On Jul 29, 2023
CuriousStudent:

Naija men are aware of this,that is why they insist of naija wives at the end of the day.

Despite their poverty -induced ranting daily about our women. They know we are still the best. That makes them still fly back to naija to get a wife even after escapades with other women.

Because,who will be aware of your several side chicks and even know them physically yet still stay?
Or suddenly find his love child on your doorstep but still stay?
Or be aware that you grope the house maid or secretary but instead of leaving initiate the dismissal of such staff?

Even the ones swearing they will not tolerate it will do that but they only way to balance it is to bill him to his nose as compensation for your predestined ordeals
no be everybody dey insist on NAija wife.
Re: Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans by XAUBulls: 10:35pm On Sep 13, 2023
Professor822714:
In the next few days, i will be dropping some tips on the following Differences as they manifest in relationships between Nugerian guys and AA women:
1.Differences in culture
2. Differences in family values
3. Differences in relationships with the opposite sex
4. Differences in hygienic standards
5. Differences in spousal roles.
6. Differences in settling masters/issues
7. Differences in finances
Re: Tips For Nigerian Guys Married To African Americans by XAUBulls: 10:42pm On Sep 13, 2023
Professor822714:
So as promised here we go:
1.Differences in culture: in marriage at least from my experience, they would want you to take them out for dinner, beach, sight seeing after marriage o! So don't expect to fashi those things after dating. Dressing is also a factor, if you guys are going out especially to naija function, you need to school her on greeting ( formal rather than informal) for elders- no mummy hi tinz! Also if you guys are expecting kids, you need to be firm in standing for your values in terms of naming the child and whatever things you want done in that regard.
2. Differences in family values: As a naija guy, you need to bring your strong family values to create an atmosphere of order. A sizeable number of AA ladies didn't grow up with a father figure ( lemme speak for my case only sha), so being able to get that strong male figure in the house is something they value a lot. Some had runaway dads and abusive uncles, so there might be a lot to unpack and you could sometimes feel like a therapist. Cooking is a big issue- so for us Nigerians- there's foods from west, east, north, south-south, middle belt,etc. For them, it appears it's just soul food and fast food (I may be wrong). So if you're waiting for that pounded yam and egusi, broda wa gbo bi Galilee because it's not gonna happen. Some might take the initiative to learn some naija meals but be prepared for some coaching in the kitchen to explain the consistency of iyan vs mashed potatoes.
Finally, insist on repect! Their culture has lost a lot of respect for elders, women and even sacred things. Put your foot down as the head of the home and earn, maintain and uphold your respect by being a man- no cheating, gimmicks and funny games. Be open and honest always and support her in everything.
3. Differences in relationships with the opposite sex: If you're the type that has naija besties, I have bad news for you-it won't work cos the word on the street is every African man has a wife back home, so that bestie falls bang into that category and you either have to hide the friendship or get rid of it otherwise there will be noise.
4. Differences in hygienic standards: This is a tough one. Basically, as an African guy cleaning up the house is a daily affair, however depending on who you've got, that might be a tall order. Some people believe in showers certain number of times a week. I'll leave that there for now....
5. Differences in spousal roles: You will face the 304 giant and God help you here. In my opinion decide on the bills early on. Don't allow her to make you think cos you're am immigrant and maybe working a mid level job, it's ok she pays the bills, NO. Insist on paying a significant amount even if it's hard cos on the day there is yawa- she will finish you on this one! If it's a rental property, decide on the % to pay. If it's a mortgage same too. On the other hand you could foot the utilities while she pays the Mortgage.
6. Differences in settling masters/issues: Wisdom.is key in this one. AA"s believe in noise ( remember Davido's case). So guard your family people especially the close ones cos when her noise gets to them it will appear like you broke bottle on her head- meanwhile it was just a plate you broke in the kitchen! In this area it's very annoying and you need to understand that the way they handle their matters is very different from us naijas. The noise they will make over a small matter is amazing!
I know there's a lot I can still add, plus others will still add theirs too, hopefully.
Overall, there's no way to change people like we all know but there's ways to adapt to different cultures and situations and make something out of them.
Responses welcome !
True that.

Neatly Used House Hold Items For Sale In Sangotedo - Lagos / My Wife Sleeps With A Tipper Driver - Man Cries Out As He Divorce His Wife / How My Son Transformed From Left Hand To Ambidextrous