Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,143 members, 7,815,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:32 AM

Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday (17410 Views)

Satguru MaharajJi: EFCC, ICPC Should Screen Ministerial Nominees / Senate Postpones Annual Recess To Screen Ministerial Nominees / We Are Ready To Screen Ministerial Nominees After Our Recess, Senators Say (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by Bobloco: 4:12am On Jul 28, 2023
The Senate has set aside its own rules to pave the way for Monday, July 31, to commence the screening of the 28 ministerial nominees submitted by President Bola Tinubu.

By the provisions of the Senate Rules, the senators are not supposed to sit on Mondays.
Chairman of the Senate Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Senator Yemi Adaramodu, who dropped the hint while briefing journalists after the plenary, said there’s going to be thorough screening for each of the nominees.

He said the Red Chamber had to postpone its annual long recess, which ought to have started on Thursday, to enable lawmakers to screen the nominees for as long as the exercise would take them.

The spokesman ruled out the tradition of automatic “bow and go” for any of the nominees, except where necessary, assuring that the 10th Senate would not disappoint Nigerians.

He said the screening exercise this time around will be thorough and it will not be just ‘bow and go’.

According to him, “The 10th Senate will scrutinise the character, personality and the ability of every nominee.

“Thorough screening for anybody who will be minister entails he/she must have ideas about everything, but in core specialties like health, judiciary, yes, the minister must be a professional.

“The character of the nominees must carry the resume, but we will not manufacture questions and allegations against anyone.”

Senator Adaramodu advised that now that the names of the nominees have been read out, anyone who has anything against them, like petitions, can channel such to the right quarters in the Senate.

On the fraud allegations against some nominees, like former governors, by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, he said all the nominees have gone through security screening checks from the executive.

He said: “However, if there is any red flag raised, we will look into it, re-emphasising that Nigerians will never be disappointed by the Senate as “the team will bring oxygen”.

The spokesman said, “Although the Senate is not supposed to sit on Mondays, but because of the importance attached to this national assignment, we have suspended all our rules for them to commence the exercise next Monday.”

https://dailypost.ng/2023/07/27/senate-bends-rules-to-screen-ministerial-nominees-monday/

6 Likes

Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by helinues: 4:18am On Jul 28, 2023
They can set their own rules in matter of urgency

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by Aufbauh(m): 4:18am On Jul 28, 2023
The only Person I've eagerly wanted to see his name in the ministerial list and I wasn't disappointed is Comrade Nyesome Wike.

The man that logistically promised to deliver Obi but ended up delivering Jagaban realistically.
If he wasn't in the list the Obidenses would have gone to town by now, mocking and taunting their silent nemesis.

46 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by HitRun(m): 4:19am On Jul 28, 2023
Why the hurry to sit on Monday? What is wrong with Tuesday? Why is this even news as if it is important. Mtcheew!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by inoki247: 4:36am On Jul 28, 2023
Lol So Senator they always du Monday Sit at Home....

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by helinues: 4:38am On Jul 28, 2023
Aufbauh:
The only Person I've eagerly wanted to see his name in the ministerial list and I wasn't disappointed is Comrade Nyesome Wike.

The man that logistically promised to deliver Obi but ended up delivering Jagaban realistically.
If he wasn't in the list the Obidenses would have gone to town by now, mocking and taunting their silent nemesis.

Meanwhile, Pdp are crying profusely

grin

10 Likes

Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by Praxis758: 4:40am On Jul 28, 2023
Any law that forbids people from working on Mondays is counter productive. Monday is the start of working days, so why should our parliamentarians be barred from sitting on Mondays.

I disagree with this.

Mr president should have attacked the assigned ministries to his ministerial nominees.

6 Likes

Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by Bobloco: 7:18am On Jul 28, 2023
Aufbauh:

Being in the list, how can it uplift the living standard of poor Nigerians who aren't not allowed to breath......who are being suffocated

16 Likes

Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by Godfullsam(m): 7:35am On Jul 28, 2023
inoki247:
Lol So Senator they always du Monday Sit at Home....

grin the thing tire me o shocked

Maybe the Senate are taking instructions from Simon Ekpa grin

8 Likes

Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by Godfullsam(m): 7:38am On Jul 28, 2023
Praxis758:
Any law that forbids people from working on Mondays is counter productive. Monday is the start of working days, so why should our parliamentarians be barred from sitting on Mondays.

I disagree with this.

Mr president should have attacked the assigned ministries to his ministerial nominees.

You want ipob to invade the national assembly?

Simon Ekpa is not joking o!

5 Likes

Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by Smithkafors(m): 7:39am On Jul 28, 2023
Aufbauh:

By rigging election for a ministerial post. Una funny.
This man was former minister for education for state with nothing to show.

Una never get sense!. Everything is tribalism’s mocking others. You guys are not interested in electing people with calibre into government.

Na unaself una dey d

12 Likes

Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by kokoA(m): 7:40am On Jul 28, 2023
Is the screening really necessary? We already know they will approve all the names.

5 Likes

Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by Throwback: 7:45am On Jul 28, 2023
Imagine what happens when a government is not serious enough to send the ministerial nominations well in time within the deadline.

Now the Legislature will bear the brunt of the indecision and inefficiency at the Executive/Presidency.

2 Likes

Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by Throwback: 7:47am On Jul 28, 2023
Praxis758:

I disagree with this.

They are not barred, but already overdue for recess and have now been futher delayed by an unserious government that needed all of the days that Buhari's law allowed for the nominations of Ministers.

2 Likes

Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by JAMO84: 8:03am On Jul 28, 2023
So the developers actually learn Monday sit at home from the Senate

2 Likes

Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by omoredia: 8:32am On Jul 28, 2023
Pls lets be careful with our movement around Falomo. My friend entered one chance this morning on his way to see me to give me documents to sign. Lets be careful

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by slawomir: 8:32am On Jul 28, 2023
Damnnn niggar

Recycling and compensation of cronies
Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by victornwaru(m): 8:32am On Jul 28, 2023
kiss
Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by MorataFC: 8:33am On Jul 28, 2023
Ok
Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by marvellous2222: 8:33am On Jul 28, 2023
Favouritism and nepotism that is what you should expect from them
Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by Jalaw: 8:33am On Jul 28, 2023
I think they should just go ahead and resume at their respective ministries.
What they termed as "screening" is nothing but formality and deception.
Screening my foot.

3 Likes

Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by Mozegee: 8:34am On Jul 28, 2023
Aufbauh:

As you saw his name on the list dud u it put food on your table

4 Likes

Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by Zupay: 8:34am On Jul 28, 2023
It is high time it is passed into law at both state and national levels, when the names of commissioner and ministerial nominees are forwarded, the ministries they would be heading should be attached, so that their competence on heading that particular ministry would be drilled.

We have had someone whose background is in nursing but have been made minister of state for water resources states and also minister of youth development.

2 Likes

Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by opalu: 8:35am On Jul 28, 2023
Iron Bender
Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by marlow1962(m): 8:35am On Jul 28, 2023
Ok
Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by anungangampu: 8:35am On Jul 28, 2023
Mediocrity then Chaos. It's so Unfair, Southerners boasted of Merit and qualifications since the days of independence but as soon power entered so-called educated part of the South, all I can see is mediocrity.

I will be so eager to see how this ends.

1 Like

Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by akpaulite(m): 8:36am On Jul 28, 2023
Jagaban effect

1 Like

Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by Fryzi(m): 8:36am On Jul 28, 2023
My own be sey, any where belle face FFK and Panya Barr. Keyamo no make the list?

2 Likes

Re: Senate ‘Bends’ Rules To Screen Ministerial Nominees On Monday by oluseyiforjesus(m): 8:37am On Jul 28, 2023
Akpabio as d senate president will make ds Senate the most ever corrupt senate in Nigeria.........
B4 u quote me wrong ask how he led nddc

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Appeal Court Sacks Reps Member: Isaac Kwallu (PDP), Affirms John Dafaan (APC) / I Was Criticized During The Civil War But I Succeeded - Gowon Encourages Tinubu / What If The North Wins The 2015 Election? What Will Happen?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.