Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,159 members, 7,811,342 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:45 AM

My Take On Societal Norms - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Take On Societal Norms (98 Views)

The Real Situation In Nigeria Is More Of Societal Than Government Woes-sarrki / August Meeting: Ugwuanyi's Wife Tasks Women On Societal Roles / Pen Robbery: A Societal Evil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Take On Societal Norms by STRI1: 5:43am On Jul 28, 2023
I personally do not support any persecution of any religion. How about we look at it this way, you know a society is made of people and what those people accept and stand for. Ilorin for long is known for being Muslim and not accepting idolatry that's what took them out of Yoruba powers of old Oyo empire. Ilorin however isn't saying they shouldn't practise their beliefs but not to the community.

No one takes Oro curfew to Hausa or Igbo land, if a community just like any other says, they don't want something, so be it. You can kill as much beef in Nigeria but you didn't try it in India or else you get lynched. That's society and what's acceptable.

Muslims pray in mosque, christians in church. Why should traditionalist declare lockdown upon other religions because of Oro. Or why should they use their worship to affect community water. That water feeds that entire community why should you put whatever in it because you want to worship? Or beating passerby for practising your belief.
Re: My Take On Societal Norms by theophorus(m): 5:52am On Jul 28, 2023
All these accusations and counter accusations don too dey plenty. Abeg make una dead this matter.

1 Like

Re: My Take On Societal Norms by nairalanda1(m): 6:34am On Jul 28, 2023
Hmm, this one is opposing traditionalists right to practice their religion because it isn't his religion...Islam.

At the end of the day, you must learn to tolerate all religions. You live in a secular country, not a Muslim or even for that matter Christian country. So, until Ilorin becomes an independent muslim country, you have to tolerate the religion of the traditonalists too...just as many traditionalists have tolerated Islam and christianity over the years in this country, Muslims even tolerate christianity in their region and christians tolerate mosques.

Anyway, I don't have a dog in the fight.
Re: My Take On Societal Norms by CodeTemplar: 9:20am On Jul 28, 2023
nairalanda1:
Hmm, this one is opposing traditionalists right to practice their religion because it isn't his religion...Islam.

At the end of the day, you must learn to tolerate all religions. You live in a secular country, not a Muslim or even for that matter Christian country. So, until Ilorin becomes an independent muslim country, you have to tolerate the religion of the traditonalists too...just as many traditionalists have tolerated Islam and christianity over the years in this country, Muslims even tolerate christianity in their region and christians tolerate mosques.

Anyway, I don't have a dog in the fight.
there is nothing like a christian or Muslim country. Countries don't have mind of their own individuals do. Calling a country Muslim or Christian connotes intolerance and suppression of personal conviction of people who don't share that belief. The issues with religion is when people go beyond gathering together to worship among themselves to trying to claim public spaces they share with those who don't share their believes.
This has led to a mob of thieves and killers holding key aspect of national life to ransom. They (extremists) think their goal is to project their religion above other religion materially. It is about your spirit and soul which outlives this material world.
That's why it is wrong to have a country tagged Muslim or Christian one.

(1) (Reply)

APC Nat'l Chair: Hamisu Drums Support For Ganduje, Calls On Bola To Appoint Him / Eastern Obolo Council Boss Lauds Gov Eno On Ibom Dialogue, Arise Agenda, Ors / Titbits Africa With Ayo Dawson New Episode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.