Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,766 members, 7,817,113 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:13 AM

Thread For Those Seeking To Obey Jesus According To The New Testament... - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Thread For Those Seeking To Obey Jesus According To The New Testament... (307 Views)

What's The Difference Between Demons And Christians Who Don't Obey Jesus? / Abaddon/apollyon: Demon Or Jesus According To Jehovah Witnesses / Are We Truly Not To Obey The Old Testament Laws Anymore? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thread For Those Seeking To Obey Jesus According To The New Testament... by anu3: 10:01pm On Jul 29, 2023
Comment below if it's appropriate...

God bless...

1 Like

Re: Thread For Those Seeking To Obey Jesus According To The New Testament... by Kobojunkie: 10:25pm On Jul 29, 2023
anu3:
Comment below if it's appropriate... God bless...
You cannot obey your pastor and at the same time obey Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ said it is impossible to serve two masters/Heads/authorities/Teachers/shepherds, etc., in the Kingdom of God. undecided
Re: Thread For Those Seeking To Obey Jesus According To The New Testament... by ChukwukaEze: 11:26pm On Jul 29, 2023
Kobojunkie:
You cannot obey your pastor and at the same time obey Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ said it is impossible to serve two masters/Heads/authorities/Teachers/shepherds, etc., in the Kingdom of God. undecided
How can one obey Jesus christ?
Re: Thread For Those Seeking To Obey Jesus According To The New Testament... by Kobojunkie: 11:27pm On Jul 29, 2023
ChukwukaEze:
How can one obey Jesus christ?
Simple.... You read what Jesus Christ said or taught directly in the Gospels and you obey His Words as given there. That is what it means to accept and obey His teachings. undecided
Re: Thread For Those Seeking To Obey Jesus According To The New Testament... by ChukwukaEze: 11:44pm On Jul 29, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Simple.... You read what Jesus Christ said or taught directly in the Gospels and you obey His Words as given there. That is what it means to accept and obey His teachings. undecided
Reading and understanding are different things o. 1 verse can mean 10 things to 10 people
Re: Thread For Those Seeking To Obey Jesus According To The New Testament... by Kobojunkie: 12:08am On Jul 30, 2023
ChukwukaEze:
Reading and understanding are different things o. 1 verse can mean 10 things to 10 people
Wrong! No verse has multiple meanings to it as the only valid meaning is the meaning intended by the writer. Unless your intention was never to allow the verse to speak for itself in the first place, there is no reason why you would believe a verse would have different meanings. Take the following passage for example. To accept and obey Jesus Christ would mean .....

5 “When you pray, don’t be like the hypocrites. They love to stand in the synagogues and on the street corners and pray loudly. They want people to see them. The truth is, that’s all the reward they will get.
6 But when you pray, you should go into your room and close the door. Then pray to your Father. He is there in that private place. He can see what is done in private, and he will reward you.
7 “And when you pray, don’t be like the people who don’t know God. They say the same things again and again. They think that if they say it enough, their god will hear them.
8 Don’t be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
9 So this is how you should pray:
‘Our Father in heaven, we pray that your name will always be kept holy.
10 We pray that your kingdom will come—
that what you want will be done here on earth, the same as in heaven.
11 Give us the food we need for today.
12 Forgive our sins, just as we have forgiven those who did wrong to us.
13 Don’t let us be tempted, but save us from the Evil One.’

14 Yes, if you forgive others for the wrongs they do to you, then your Father in heaven will also forgive your wrongs.
15 But if you don’t forgive others, then your Father in heaven will not forgive the wrongs you do. - Matthew 6 vs 5 - 15
▢ You absolutely always pray in secret and hiding where no other human being can see or hear you praying to God
▢ When you pray, you do not embellish in any way
▢ Whenever you wish to pray to God, you say the Lord's prayer is written— not the embellished version that is typically taught to most.
▢ Always forgive everyone no matter what the wrong.

Any meaning different from that presented in the context of the passage itself is a lie. And any attempt to minimize the impact of the statement is a lie. To accept and obey Jesus Christ means to do as He has said, not as some other person has said. This is the way to attain holiness — absolute compliance with the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ. undecided
Re: Thread For Those Seeking To Obey Jesus According To The New Testament... by anu3: 12:22pm On Jul 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:

Well, I didn't tell you whether I had one or not...
Re: Thread For Those Seeking To Obey Jesus According To The New Testament... by ChukwukaEze: 3:38pm On Jul 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Only Jesus and only the gospel, kwo?
Re: Thread For Those Seeking To Obey Jesus According To The New Testament... by Kobojunkie: 3:45pm On Jul 30, 2023
ChukwukaEze:
Only Jesus and only the gospel, kwo?
Ofcourse, If He is to be master over you, then you must absolutely obey Him and Him alone. undecided
Re: Thread For Those Seeking To Obey Jesus According To The New Testament... by ChukwukaEze: 4:02pm On Jul 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Ofcourse, If He is to be master over you, then you must absolutely obey Him and Him alone. undecided
What is the difference between the teachings of Jesus and the 'points' expressed in the supposedly old laws, when Jesus said that no detail of those laws will be done away with? If those before Jesus attained righteousness by obeying some laws won't the same set of laws make one righteous in this day?
Re: Thread For Those Seeking To Obey Jesus According To The New Testament... by Kobojunkie: 4:13pm On Jul 30, 2023
ChukwukaEze:
What is the difference between the teachings of Jesus and the 'points' expressed in the supposedly old laws, when Jesus said that no detail of those laws will be done away with?
■ If those before Jesus attained righteousness by obeying some laws won't the same set of laws make one righteous in this day?
The Old Law of Moses is the Constitutional Law of God in the Land of Canaan whereas Jesus Christ's Gospel is the Constitutional Law of God in the Kingdom of God. Two different Laws for two different Nations. One nation, Israel, is of this world whereas the second is not of this world. undecided

Both Laws are everlasting Laws, even as they remain different and separate. undecided

2. To belong to Jesus Christ, one first has to abandon the Old Law and its fountain of Living water in order to belong to and partake of the New Law and its fountain of Living waters --- Born of water. undecided

Just as Jesus Christ warned, you should not attempt to mix Old wine and New wine together as the consequences will be disastrous for those who do. undecided

By the way, God already passed judgment against all of Israel over 1900 years ago meaning all sinners are cursed and condemned without redemption under the Old Law so there is no righteousness to be obtained by following the Old Law today. undecided
Re: Thread For Those Seeking To Obey Jesus According To The New Testament... by ChukwukaEze: 4:39pm On Jul 30, 2023
Nothing written in the old law is deceptive, nor would led one astray. If the system in which the old law operated is demolished; 1 what is its significance today 2 why did Jesus associate it with his own teaching when he said he has to bring them to fulfilment
Re: Thread For Those Seeking To Obey Jesus According To The New Testament... by Kobojunkie: 5:05pm On Jul 30, 2023
ChukwukaEze:
▢ Nothing written in the old law is deceptive, nor would led one astray. If the system in which the old law operated is demolished; 1 what is its significance today 2 why did Jesus associate it with his own teaching when he said he has to bring them to fulfilment
▢ Jesus Christ lived His life on earth in continuous submission and obedience to the Old Law of Moses, the National Constitution of the Nation of Israel in the Land of Canaan. He told you this when He made clear that He obeyed the Will aka Law of His Father. undecided

▢ Jesus Christ did not associate His teachings to the Old Law since it is against God to add, change or remove from any of His Laws/Covenants/Wills. Rather, Jesus Christ came to bring a New Law — a lighter yoke and easy burden— to those who would become His followers. undecided
Re: Thread For Those Seeking To Obey Jesus According To The New Testament... by ChukwukaEze: 5:36pm On Jul 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:
▢ Jesus Christ lived His life on earth in continuous submission and obedience to the Old Law of Moses, the National Constitution of the Nation of Israel in the Land of Canaan. He told you this when He made clear that He obeyed the Will aka Law of His Father. undecided

▢ Jesus Christ did not associate His teachings to the Old Law since it is against God to add, change or remove from any of His Laws/Covenants/Wills. Rather, Jesus Christ came to bring a New Law — a lighter yoke and easy burden— to those who would become His followers. undecided
Does it mean that Jesus followed a different constitution from the one he taught?

If one was to copy the life of Christ which constitution would he heed- the one Jesus obeyed or the one he taught- since he obeyed the constitution of Israel in the land of canaan and taught the constitution of God in the Kingdom of God?
Re: Thread For Those Seeking To Obey Jesus According To The New Testament... by Kobojunkie: 5:42pm On Jul 30, 2023
ChukwukaEze:
■ Does it mean that Jesus followed a different constitution from the one he taught?
■ If one was to copy the life of Christ which constitution would he heed- the one Jesus obeyed or the one he taught- since he obeyed the constitution of Israel in the land of canaan and taught the constitution of God in the Kingdom of God?
1. Yes! undecided

2. Jesus Christ did not ask you to copy His Life though. Rather, He explicitly said you are to obey His commandments and teachings - John 14 vs 15 - 23 & John 15 vs 14. If you, against, Jesus Christ, choose to copy his life, you would end up with nothing since it is impossible to gain the Kingdom of God through disobedience or rejection of the mandate that was given by Jesus Christ. (The mandate is obedience by the way.)
Re: Thread For Those Seeking To Obey Jesus According To The New Testament... by ChukwukaEze: 6:24pm On Jul 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. Yes! undecided

2. Jesus Christ did not ask you to copy His Life though. Rather, He explicitly said you are to obey His commandments and teachings - John 14 vs 15 - 23 & John 15 vs 14. If you, against, Jesus Christ, choose to copy his life, you would end up with nothing since it is impossible to gain the Kingdom of God through disobedience or rejection of the mandate that was given by Jesus Christ. (The mandate is obedience by the way.)
This is getting windy! Did Jesus not condemm the pharisees for encouraging the people to follow their teachings and not their lives, and paul not encourage the corinthians to imitate him as he imitates Christ? Why then do you say the life of the son of God is not to be copied?
Re: Thread For Those Seeking To Obey Jesus According To The New Testament... by Kobojunkie: 6:47pm On Jul 30, 2023
ChukwukaEze:
■ This is getting windy! Did Jesus not condemm the pharisees for encouraging the people to follow their teachings and not their lives,
■ and paul not encourage the corinthians to imitate him as he imitates Christ?
■ Why then do you say the life of the son of God is not to be copied?
You seem to have it all wrong there. Jesus Christ instead called them — along with everyone else who lives as they did hypocrites for reasons detailed in the passage below including Mark 7 vs 1 - 13
1 Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus. They came from Jerusalem and asked him,
2 “Why do your followers not obey the traditions we have from our great leaders who lived long ago? Your followers don’t wash their hands before they eat!”
3 Jesus answered, “And why do you refuse to obey God’s command so that you can follow those traditions you have?
4 God said, ‘You must respect your father and mother.’[a] And God also said, ‘Whoever says anything bad to their father or mother must be killed.’
5 But you teach that a person can say to their father or mother, ‘I have something I could use to help you. But I will not use it for you. I will give it to God.’
6 You are teaching them not to respect their father. So you are teaching that it is not important to do what God said. You think it is more important to follow those traditions you have.
7 You are hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he spoke for God about you:
8 These people honor me with their words, but I am not really important to them.
9 Their worship of me is worthless. The things they teach are only human rules.’” - Matthew 15 vs 1 - 9
■ do not obey God's Commandments and also teach people not to follow God's commandments
■ teach lies — doctrines and traditions of men — in place of God's commandments and teachings
■ honor God with their words but their deeds do not reflect God's very commandments and teachings
■ do not consider God of importance in their hearts even though they lace everything they say with the many mentions of the name of God.

2. Literally imitating Paul would amount to making the servant greater than the master, would it not? This would imply placing the servant's word as Law over oneself hence making the servant a master over one, and even Paul would have told you that is unacceptable given the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ Himself which state the following
A. Servants are not greater than their master
18 “If the world hates you, remember that they hated me first.
19 If you belonged to the world, the world would love you as it loves its own people. But I have chosen you to be different from those in the world. So you don’t belong to the world, and that is why the world hates you.
20 “Remember the lesson I told you: Servants are not greater than their master. If people treated me badly, they will treat you badly too. And if they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours too.
21 They will do to you whatever they did to me, because you belong to me. They don’t know the one who sent me.
22 If I had not come and spoken to the people of the world, they would not be guilty of sin. But now I have spoken to them. So they have no excuse for their sin. - John 15 vs 18 - 22
B. Students are not better than their teacher
24 Students are not better than their teacher. Servants are not better than their masters.
25 Students should be happy to be treated the same as their teacher. And servants should be happy to be treated the same as their masters. If those people call me ‘the ruler of demons,’ and I am the head of the family, then it is even more certain that they will insult you, the members of the family! - Matthew 10 vs 24 - 25
39 Jesus told them this story: “Can a blind man lead another blind man? No. Both of them will fall into a ditch.
40 Students are not better than their teacher. But when they have been fully taught, they will be like their teacher. - Luke 6 vs 39 -40
C. Servants who are sent to do something are not greater than those who sent them.
15 I did this as an example for you. So you should serve each other just as I served you.
16 Believe me, servants are not greater than their master. Those who are sent to do something are not greater than the one who sent them.
17 If you know these things, great blessings will be yours if you do them. - John 13 vs 15 - 17
D. You cannot serve two masters at the same time
24 “You cannot serve two masters at the same time. You will hate one and love the other, or you will be loyal to one and not care about the other. You cannot serve God and Money at the same time.- Matthew 6 vs 24
13 “You cannot serve two masters at the same time. You will hate one master and love the other. Or you will be loyal to one and not care about the other. You cannot serve God and Money at the same time.” - Luke 16 vs 13
... So, it is my understanding that Paul did not invite you or anything to literally imitate him. Rather, Paul called on others to obey the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ just as he, Paul also did. undecided

3. The Son of God said those who love Him are those who obey His teachings and commandments. He said. "His friends are those who do as He says." What this means is that there is no other part to partaking of that which the Son of God had brought except the path which He has made clear, and that path is through acceptance and obedience of His every teaching and commandment — God's Law in the Kingdom of God. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Allah NEVER Commanded Satan to Prostrate to Adam! / Dream Meaning Of Window / Dream Meaning Of Plantain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.