Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,677 members, 7,831,101 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States (7135 Views)

BIAFRA: Igbo’s Decisive Day As S.east Govs,leaders,others Meet / S-east Govs Divided Over Pro-biafra Struggle - Vanguard / Fashola Rejects Creation Of Additional States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by Oba234: 2:42pm On Oct 10, 2011
The SE should not have any more state. We can't keep comparing southeast to the north. The north has la arge land mass. The SE lacks land which is why so many Igbo people live in other parts of the country. The SE cannot contain them alone and now they want to divide the little they have into smaller pieces
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by jason123: 2:47pm On Oct 10, 2011
Oba234:

The SE should not have any more state. We can't keep comparing southeast to the north. The north has la arge land mass. The SE lacks land which is why so many Igbo people live in other parts of the country. The SE cannot contain them alone and now they want to divide the little they have into smaller pieces

Land is not the only criteria for state creation. Viability should be the MAIN criteria. Look, if Anoima is viable, then let them have it. How can one region (NW) get more political power than any other region?? Why should one region have 7 while the other have 5. That is cheating in my opinion.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by odumchi: 2:51pm On Oct 10, 2011
South East wants to remain an "Igbo" zone. Adding Cross River would also divide the Ibibio-Efik people and soon they will start clamouring. Best option is to add Rivers into SE and create Anioma state by slicing of the Northern part of Delta.

GAR3TH:

Instead of creating pointless states why not just move the boundaries of the Geo-political zones. we have 36 states and 6 Geo-political zone so 6 states should be in each zone.

But instead we have these ediots calming they want another state in the already small & cramped south east. Obviously they are just in it for themselves so they can create pointless government positions for their brothers in the new state.

Why arent they proposing to rearrange the already existing boundaries? Why not move cross rivers state to the south-east then move ondo state to the south-south then move kwara state to the south-west and then move kaduna to the north-central.

Its simply and not hard but instead they are choosing and advocating for something as ridiculous as an extra state when we already have 36 states and 6 geopolitical zones.

Or do these ediots believe that the south-east geopolitical zone equals igbos? Because it doesn't. Is that why they want to create an extra state instead of just moving the boundaries.

I seriously hope not because if thats the case then they will go down in history as the dumbest most ethnocentric move in Nigeria's history.

Problem solved

Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by jason123: 2:53pm On Oct 10, 2011
odumchi:

South East wants to remain an "Igbo" zone. Adding Cross River would also divide the Ibibio-Efik people and soon they will start clamouring. Best option is to [b]add Rivers into SE [/b]and create Anioma state by slicing of the Northern part of Delta.

Can you see the contradiction?
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by odumchi: 2:55pm On Oct 10, 2011
Stop drawing us into stale conversations. It's been explained several times that Rivers is a majority Igbo state. Now let's move on.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by Chyz2: 3:04pm On Oct 10, 2011
Oba234:

@ bolded,

You've totally got it wrong. SE is a geo-political zone, so what does the "lack of land" have to do with it?. If for instance they were to add Akwa Ibom and Benue states to the SE wouldn't that alone defeat ur whole "lack of land" argument? They asked for extra states they never said those states had to be solely from within the zone. Anioma is not in the SE, yet and still, they want to join the SE. Again your point is thin.

About your argument of Igbos  living in other parts of the country because of the "lack of land", are you saying that it is because of the "lack of land" that Yorubas live in other parts of  the country, Hausas, Fulanis also?

About the SE not containing the states they have now, Imo, Enugu, and Anambra are being contained very well at this time. This is something we all know. Ebonyi could do way better but it is managed fairly ok too. The only state in the SE thats in shambles is Abia, at that is because of a visionless governor. WIth all that said, your claim makes no sense.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by kingjoe(m): 4:20pm On Oct 10, 2011
please south east needs more states.as smone earlier said it should be equal among all zones.if we are to hv 6states in each zones let it be uniform. the way our country is going everything is shared using federal character. lets take for example the new universities that were introduced .it was based o those states that dont have federal universities.more universities, more possibility of indigenes to get access to education,, more jobs. more money from ETF which into billions and subsequently more development and better quality of life.another example is in having representatives,at the national, ministers and so on.until nigeria stops sharing money in abuja to states,but reverses it this rancour will continue.my 2 kobo
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by musiwa48: 4:30pm On Oct 10, 2011
People make me laugh, there was no time in nigeria history when 6 zone was created. So it does not make sense. if people want equity , it mean we need to create 9 state in the old bendle state to equal the eastern region.

look the old bendle state(edo and delta state) was 1 , while the old eastern region is now 9 states.

So in other to have equity it means the old bendle state must have equal number of state as the former eastern region.  

It is unfair that the old bendle state have 2 state while the east have 9 states.

let remove ethnic bias and ethnics hate, there is nothing morally right to still allow akwa ibom to have 30 local govt after we have seen the satellite picture.

And there is something moral wrong to continue to give Abia state Oil derivation when abia state have no oil.

How do you create state, Oyo state is at least 20 times the population of Bayelsa state. Do you create 20 state in oyo state. Look the only solution is to remove edo,delta and Yorubas from nigeria.

The day they create 6 zone is the last day Nigeria will cease to exist. Look no single of them will remain governor if you know Nigeria. Look they will execute Jonathan Goodluck the day he dare try that. this is what they history of nigeria tell you. That is the day governor will go and join his grandfather. They know that, so are they creating more problem.

The only solution is to remove Edo,delta and Yoruba out of Nigeria. They know this.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by LordNaya: 4:47pm On Oct 10, 2011
All de imebecilic Idiots abusing de south east govs becos they call for de equalisation of states in nigeria shud go & jump in the river niger. Nonsence!!! If they are against justice, fairness nd equity, i wonder the type of God they worship because the God, Allah and all de holy men in de bible nd quran are in support of the above listed. The kind of abusive words use against de SE Govs made me wonda if dis people went 2 church yesterday or if they said their muslim prayers 2day. Na wa oh!! As 4 those saying dat anioma shouldnt be in de SE or we aniomas are not Igbos, I can only laugh becos we the real aniomas know who we are nd where we come from and it's undisputable.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by Onlytruth(m): 4:48pm On Oct 10, 2011
This issue won't go away until it is resolved. I really think that the Ndigbo want the geopolitical zones to have equal number of states. I don't think they care about the number of states in each zone; just let it be equal. For those who want to be honest, the reason is self evident.
If not for the GEJ presidency, Ndigbo, (thanks to Obasanjo's evil plans) would not be among the top 6 political positions in Nigeria. But the God of Igbos intervened on time, and turned the table on Obasanjo and his folks who ended up falling into the same pit they dug for Ndigbo. They are crying marginalization today. undecided

Also, Ndigbo may not necessarily want an "Igbo only" geopolitical zone. However I am sure that we would only want to share a zone with groups who are confident of working with us and not start accusing us of things later.

So, the governors are very much on track, and have the support of people from the zone.  cool
Ideally, this is a purely political problem that needs a political solution.
Anyone who thinks that Ndigbo would continue to be cheated in Nigeria is gravely mistaken.  cool
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by Abagworo(m): 4:56pm On Oct 10, 2011
@musiwa,you have resurrected the classic nigeria1/becomerich whom we archives have missed a lot.I think Abia State has more oil than credited to it and Oyo State is not 20 times Bayelsa.

I have never supported division but merger.The former 21 States structure plus Bayelsa is the perfect for Nigeria.There has to be more than 6 zones.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by odumchi: 5:18pm On Oct 10, 2011
So according to you the population of Oyo state is atleast 40 million ?

musiwa.,.:

People make me laugh, there was no time in nigeria history when 6 zone was created. So it does not make sense. if people want equity , it mean we need to create 9 state in the old bendle state to equal the eastern region.

look the old bendle state(edo and delta state) was 1 , while the old eastern region is now 9 states.

So in other to have equity it means the old bendle state must have equal number of state as the former eastern region.  

It is unfair that the old bendle state have 2 state while the east have 9 states.

let remove ethnic bias and ethnics hate, there is nothing morally right to still allow akwa ibom to have 30 local govt after we have seen the satellite picture.

And there is something moral wrong to continue to give Abia state Oil derivation when abia state have no oil.

How do you create state, Oyo state is at least 20 times the population of Bayelsa state. Do you create 20 state in oyo state. Look the only solution is to remove edo,delta and Yorubas from nigeria.

The day they create 6 zone is the last day Nigeria will cease to exist. Look no single of them will remain governor if you know Nigeria. Look they will execute Jonathan Goodluck the day he dare try that. this is what they history of nigeria tell you. That is the day governor will go and join his grandfather. They know that, so are they creating more problem.

The only solution is to remove Edo,delta and Yoruba out of Nigeria. They know this.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by SouthEast1: 5:38pm On Oct 10, 2011
Not just the SE need states:
SW needs one state
SS one state
NC One state
NE One state
SE two states
NW 0 state
That way, every zone will have state equality = 7 states
I have overflogged this issue here on NL for a long time
Otherwise, abrogate all the states and let's make do with regions alone
I support that Igbos stay away from constitutional amendments if this simple  and fair request is not to be met.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by aribisala0(m): 5:40pm On Oct 10, 2011
odumchi:

Stop drawing us into stale conversations. It's been explained several times that Rivers is a majority Igbo state. Now let's move on.

it has been contradicted as many times as it has been explained.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by 9javoice1(m): 7:08pm On Oct 10, 2011
Some ppl will like to go hungry if that will make their neighbour live without food. "that is wickedness"
live and let live is a word for pple with consciense.

today southeast is complaning and asking for fairness, but their voices is landing on a deaf ears,
tomorrow its gona be another pple.remember "the wheel of furtune keeps turning"

lets learn to do the right thing no matter who benefits from it. is there anything bad for se request,
if we say no to them today.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by OkparaIgbo: 8:23pm On Oct 10, 2011
Abeg all them morons that are saying Nigeria has too many states or that the SE shouldnt get more states, how about you go and lie in the middle of the road or drink conc acid. When your silly brother was giving you guys more states, you didnt know we didnt need more. Abeg Kudos to the SE Governors who are fighting for this. Enough of this trash from the North and West.  angry angry angry
We are going to get more states and depopulate lagos and the north and build up the SE lets show this Eiidiots what we are made of and that could be the first step towards the full greatness of the BLESSED NDI-IGBO. cheesy cheesy wink wink
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by aribisala0(m): 8:34pm On Oct 10, 2011
no need to abuse your family.
truth is it WILL NEVER happen that they create new states in the south east alone.

why??

it has to pass in 24 states  houses of assembly
and right now the SE has 5 1/2  grin
where are the other 19 states that will vote to create 2 states in the SE and NOT increase their own.
ordinary local government created in lagos has NOT passed even with supreme court decision

in fact if they create 2 in the SE they will create 2 in kano alone so bring it on. .
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by Onlytruth(m): 9:17pm On Oct 10, 2011
Posted by: aribisala0

no need to abuse your family.
truth is it WILL NEVER happen that they create new states in the south east alone.

why??

it has to pass in 24 states houses of assembly and right now the SE has 5 1/2

where are the other 19 states that will vote to create 2 states in the SE and NOT increase their own.
ordinary local government created in lagos has NOT passed even with supreme court decision

in fact if they create 2 in the SE they will create 2 in kano alone so bring it on. .

Never say never in Nigeria! That is one lesson I need you to learn and bear in mind.
The SE governors said that SE would not support ANY constitutional amendment if the zones are not equalized.
I believe that is the FIRST salvo. More is coming. Some of you think you have monopoly of treachery.
I'm really loving the new emerging Nigeria. Just don't cry tomorrow. LOL. cool
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by udezue(m): 9:57pm On Oct 10, 2011
2 more state is extremely fair. Every zone deserves equal and fair treatment. If you there are too many states in Nigeria then have ur region dissolve at least 1 or two states to bring eacjh zone down to 5 states each.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by LordNaya: 10:05pm On Oct 10, 2011
THEY WILL SURELY EQUAL THE STATES IN THE SOUTH EAST WITH OTHER ZONES IN NIGERIA BY GOD'S GRACE. AMEN. Anioma will be among the states that will be created for the south east. So i advice all the unwise, unfair and unjust to go rest becos the EQUALISATION WILL SURELY HAPPEN!!
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by LordNaya: 10:06pm On Oct 10, 2011
THEY WILL SURELY EQUAL THE STATES IN THE SOUTH EAST WITH OTHER ZONES IN NIGERIA BY GOD'S GRACE. AMEN. Anioma will be among the states that will be created for the south east. So i advice all the unwise, unfair and unjust to go rest becos the EQUALISATION WILL SURELY HAPPEN!!
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by aribisala0(m): 10:08pm On Oct 10, 2011
firstly i agree with the aspiration in principle but this zone thing is already a short change. nigeria came to independence as 3 regions now we are talking of 3 zones in the north. funny.
we in the west do not see why the north should have 3 zones what is the basis for that?? if there are 19 states in the north then there should be 19 in the west. so this geopolitical zone is meaningless

i don't think threatening to veto will achieve anything. that assumes that  other constitutional changes are to the benefit of other regions or that they have more to lose.
if we continue with the status quo who benefits ; the north.

what is being suggested is that the north give back the advantage they gained through military rule. a perfectly reasonable but naive request. why should they??

the restructuring nigeria needs can only come through a constitutional conference which is not going to happen unless it is forced by insurgency or civil unrest.

the question is this are the SE governors going to insist that 2 states are created in the SE and then say no to the clamour for Ijebu state and Lagoon State and expect to get 24 states of assembly to pass that.  
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by SouthEast1: 10:16pm On Oct 10, 2011
aribisala0:

firstly i agree with the aspiration in principle but this zone thing is already a short change. nigeria came to independence as 3 regions now we are talking of 3 zones in the north. funny.
we in the west do not see why the north should have 3 zones what is the basis for that?? if there are 19 states in the north then there should be 19 in the west. so this geopolitical zone is meaningless

i don't think threatening to veto will achieve anything. that assumes that  other constitutional changes are to the benefit of other regions or that they have more to lose.
if we continue with the status quo who benefits ; the north.

what is being suggested is that the north give back the advantage they gained through military rule. a perfectly reasonable but naive request. why should they??

the restructuring nigeria needs can only come through a constitutional conference which is not going to happen unless it is forced by insurgency or civil unrest.

the question is this are the SE governors going to insist that 2 states are created in the SE and then say no to the clamour for Ijebu state and Lagoon State and expect to get 24 states of assembly to pass that.  

Not just the SE need states:
SW needs one state
SS one state
NC One state
NE One state
SE two states
NW 0 state
That way, every zone will have state equality = 7 states
I have overflogged this issue here on NL for a long time
Otherwise, abrogate all the states and let's make do with regions alone
I support that Igbos stay away from constitutional amendments if this simple and fair request is not to be met.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by udezue(m): 10:18pm On Oct 10, 2011
The SE govs should stick to their guns. If the North and West aren't ready to budge then they should veto and destroy whatever bill they see in sight. You clowns have been dragging us back for years in the name of one Nigeria so if u are not ready to do the right thing we will drag u down as well. No restructuring. Let's continue to be dominated by the North all because u love to see the Eastern region and SE in particular short-changed.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by aribisala0(m): 10:19pm On Oct 10, 2011
i do not believe that these so called geopolitical zones are equal. i do not mean to disrespect anyone but if the SE needs 2 states so does lagos state
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by SouthEast1: 10:19pm On Oct 10, 2011
The SE has the Deputy Senate President and the Deputy Speaker
These two individuals are by law responsible for organizing any constitutional changes
If they wil be there and not lobby their colleagues where necessary
If they will be there and not ensure that all zones are equal in states
Then it is bye bye to the whole thing
This may well be the only opportunity the SE has
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by LordNaya: 10:21pm On Oct 10, 2011
THE EQUALISATION OF STATES IN THE SOUTH EAST WITH THOSE OF OTHER ZONES IN NIGERIA WILL SURELY HAPPEN, BY GOD'S GRACE. AMEN. Anioma will be among the new states to be created for the south east by God's grace. So i advice all the unwise, unfair and unjust people to go and rest because the EQUALISATION OF STATES IN THE SE WILL SURELY HAPPEN whether you guys like or not.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by igbo2011(m): 10:21pm On Oct 10, 2011
They need lesss states not more :' More states means less for each state and more money to steal.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by aribisala0(m): 10:22pm On Oct 10, 2011
we are quite relaxed about it in the west. we know that our salvation does not lie in abuja or with state creation
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by SouthEast1: 10:22pm On Oct 10, 2011
aribisala0:

i do not believe that these so called geopolitical zones are equal. i do not mean to disrespect anyone but if the SE needs 2 states so does lagos state

How many states do you want to make from the SW? Lagos needs increased fed allocation to cater for the huge population, not an additional state. The SW should support state equality and in reciprocation, the SE will support enhanced allocation for Lagos. That is fair enough, I guess.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by Onlytruth(m): 10:22pm On Oct 10, 2011
Posted by: igbo2011

They need lesss states not more :' More states means less for each state and more money to steal.

If you meant less states for EVERYBODY and equal number for each zone, then you are right. Else bullocks.
Re: South East Govs Demand For 2 Additional States by aribisala0(m): 10:27pm On Oct 10, 2011
when did this term zone enter our national lexicon. that is PDP terminology. we do not recognize it in the west.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Picture Of Military Machines Arriving Today From Port / See The Dead Body Of Notorious Militant, Don Waney Killed By Soldiers (photo) / How Chiwetalu Agu piss on his trousers very funny - Ijelespeaks mocks him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.