Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,252 members, 7,811,695 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:28 PM

I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre (58831 Views)

Falcons Player, Ashleigh Plumptre Joins Al-Ittihad In Saudi Arabia. / Ashleigh Plumptre Switches Nationality To Nigeria / Leicester City Ashleigh Plumptre Trained With Super Falcons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by FreeStuffsNG: 9:27am On Jul 31, 2023
Ashleigh Plumptre, born on 8 May 1998 in Leicester, is a professional footballer who currently represents the Nigeria national team, the Super Falcons which today play ousted Ireland in the last group game of the ongoing FIFA Women World Cup.

The Super Falcons defender recently decided to part ways with English Super League side Leicester City. The departure of Plumptre was officially announced by the Foxes in a statement confirming that the talented defender left the club after her contract expired at the King Power Stadium.

With a diverse background and a passion for the sport, Plumptre has made a name for herself in the footballing world.

Early life

Growing up in Melton Mowbray, Plumptre attended primary school there. Her journey in football began at the age of four when she joined Asfordby Amateurs.

Recognising her talent and dedication, she joined the Leicester City Centre of Excellence at the age of eight and spent seven years with the club, progressing from under-10 to under-15 level.

In 2013, she made a move to Birmingham City’s under-17 team, where she had the opportunity to train with the senior WSL 1 team. During that time, she briefly joined Derby County’s Centre of Excellence, a third-tier FA Women’s Premier League side.

Growing up in Melton Mowbray, a short 30-minute drive from the city, Plumptre’s affinity for football led her to join Leicester City’s centre of excellence at a young age.

From the age of eight to 14, she honed her skills within the club’s youth system, having already started playing for a local girls’ team a few years prior.

Reflecting on her childhood, Plumptre describes herself as a child who always craved physical activity.

After returning home from school, she would promptly drop off her bags and head outside to play football until her mother called her in for dinner.

This unwavering dedication to the sport was a testament to her passion and drive, even at a young age.

“I was one of those kids that just always wanted to be active,” Plumptre said.

Although she temporarily left Leicester City during her teenage years, fate would bring her back to the club where she would eventually sign her first professional contract.

“[It] meant a lot to me to sign for Leicester because it was the club I’ve always supported and I grew up here,” she divulged.

Education

In pursuit of her dreams, Plumptre moved to the United States in 2016 to pursue a scholarship at the University of Southern California.

There, she majored in human biology and also played for the university’s football team. In her first year, the team won the National Championship and were even invited to the White House to celebrate their achievement.

“It influenced so many things in my life, and not just football, I found out more about myself, what I’m passionate about,” she reflected.

Family

Ashleigh Plumptre comes from a mixed heritage. Her father is of Nigerian descent, specifically from Lagos State, and belongs to the Yoruba tribe. Her mother is English.

‘’My grandfather from dad’s side is a Nigerian from Lagos state. He is of Yoruba descent. My younger sister Bayleigh, is called by Yoruba name, Bisi. She is a drummer.

International Career

Plumptre’s connection to her Nigerian roots played a significant role in her decision to represent the Nigeria national team.

She spoke about her purpose and how it has evolved over time, emphasising her desire to delve into her heritage and represent the people she is familiar with.

Plumptre values the impact she can have as both a player and an individual, bringing her jovial and free-spirited personality to the game while also embracing her physical side, which she refers to as her “Nigerian side.”

“As much as I love playing football, I like to play for a purpose and a reason. I know the impact I can have by delving into my heritage more and representing the people I am always familiar with”.

Plumptre began exploring her Nigerian heritage during the COVID-19 lockdowns. Discussing her background with her sister, who identifies as black while Plumptre identifies as mixed heritage, she felt compelled to connect with her roots.

“Even though we have the same dad, we both have a Nigerian dad and a white mum, she looks a little different to me and has experienced things in school that I never had,” she says. “Most people just assume that I’m white. I identify as being mixed heritage. But my sister … she identifies as being black.”

As a result, Plumptre switched her international allegiance from England to Nigeria, aiming to experience the culture and educate her sister about their heritage.

She says: “That’s where I’m like: ‘OK, Nigeria would be good for me to do because then I can experience the culture more, I can come back and teach her about our heritage. That was the trigger for me.”

“I love the culture, I honestly love everything about being in Nigeria,” she says. She has also “realised how lucky I’ve been to just have been born in this country, the opportunities that I’ve been blessed with”. She adds: “My Nigerian teammates, for example, they’ve worked so hard but sometimes they don’t get the same opportunities based upon the teams that they’re playing in, the lack of exposure that they have. It’s a privilege to play with them.”

Career honours

Throughout her career, Plumptre has achieved several notable honours. While playing for Notts County, she was a Women’s FA Cup runner-up in 2015 and a FA Women’s League Cup runner-up in the same year.

During her time at the University of Southern California, she won the NCAA Division I Women’s Soccer Championship in 2016.

In 2019, with LA Galaxy OC, Plumptre claimed the UWS Championship. More recently, she contributed to Leicester City’s success, helping them win the FA Women’s Championship in the 2020-21 season.

Net worth

With her impressive performances on the field and her dedication to making a difference both as a player and as an individual, Ashleigh Megan Plumptre has become a highly respected figure in the world of women’s football.

Her net worth is estimated to be $1.5 million, primarily derived from her appearances as a professional footballer.

As she continues to make strides in her career, Plumptre’s impact both on and off the field .is sure to leave a lasting legacy.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/im-yoruba-they-only-see-me-as-white-falcons-ashleigh-plumptre/

80 Likes 10 Shares

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by FreeStuffsNG: 9:27am On Jul 31, 2023
Ashleigh Plumptre comes from a mixed heritage. Her father is of Nigerian descent, specifically from Lagos State, and belongs to the Yoruba tribe. Her mother is English.

‘’My grandfather from dad’s side is a Nigerian from Lagos state. He is of Yoruba descent. My younger sister Bayleigh, is called by Yoruba name, Bisi. She is a drummer.

Omoluabi, you're doing well.
From your character alone, we know that you are Yoruba.

I remember those days of growing up with family friends who are Plumptres , it's embarrassing seeing even otherwise educated folks struggle with the pronunciation of Lagos families surnames like Plumptre, Vaughan, Audiffren, Payne, Petgrave, Sawyerr, Bickerstheth, Willoughby, Egerton,Boyle, Verissimo etc and then ask if they are Nigerians.smh
Awon ti Ebute meta and Olowogbowo will understand wink Check my signature for free stuffs!

188 Likes 23 Shares

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by Ikaeniyan0: 9:28am On Jul 31, 2023
The Australian player that was attacking from Ashleigh Plumptre position was just passing through her with ease

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by Dotherightthing: 9:31am On Jul 31, 2023
She could easily pass for white but a child always wants to belong to their father's side no matter what.

Is her father also Plumptre

116 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by Made2Last: 9:32am On Jul 31, 2023
Some people will not like this now

78 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by Curse777: 9:32am On Jul 31, 2023
Omoluabi

79 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by Corn247: 9:34am On Jul 31, 2023
Omoluabi, we are proud to have you!

96 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by Sirbruno3000(m): 9:35am On Jul 31, 2023
Is she single?

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by illicit(m): 9:38am On Jul 31, 2023
Kare.... Omo daadaa

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by dododawa1: 9:42am On Jul 31, 2023
Yoruba are GREAT
Onlke
Tribe.

72 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by saintkel(m): 9:43am On Jul 31, 2023
DomPerignon:

Okoro, the one drop rule applies only if mixed with heebo.

She isn't tainted with 0su blood so she's good to go.
una no d tire for tribal sentiment?.....must it always be Igbos who go against Yorubas or disagrees?.....

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by tollyboy5(m): 9:45am On Jul 31, 2023
Dotherightthing:
She could easily pass for white but a child always wants to belong to their father's side no matter what.

Is her father also Plumptre
I cant say, Many lagos natives have British name. That's not new.

So she and oshoala are lagosians. nice one!

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by tollyboy5(m): 9:48am On Jul 31, 2023
Those people up there will not let simple and innocent thread stand alone.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by Goodlady(f): 9:54am On Jul 31, 2023
Love you babygirl. Hope you spend some weeks in Nigeria after we v won the cup.
SpatialKing:
Yorubas will never accept you as their own or one of them...
Shebi you saw Saka in Lagos. You eyes won't be blind when Ashley steps into lag to see her folks.

73 Likes 11 Shares

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by LivingSage: 9:54am On Jul 31, 2023
Omo wa ni.

Omoluabi Pataki

45 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by datola: 9:55am On Jul 31, 2023
o
Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by YourNextLevel(m): 9:55am On Jul 31, 2023
Where is your sister let me check something.

She's married ?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by SpatialKing(m): 9:55am On Jul 31, 2023
DomPerignon:

Okoro, the one drop rule applies only if mixed with heebo.

She isn't tainted with 0su blood so she's good to go.

Of course

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by Heroicvic(m): 9:55am On Jul 31, 2023
She go explain tire 😂
No evidence 😭

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by datola: 9:55am On Jul 31, 2023
Omoluabi!

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by orohbiro(f): 9:55am On Jul 31, 2023
When it come to white racism give it to Nigerians some are praying we should even loose just to get this coach sack

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by IbrahimSkiba(f): 9:56am On Jul 31, 2023
Damn

She's beautiful

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by MySexyMoni(f): 9:56am On Jul 31, 2023
Really?
Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by AntiChristian: 9:56am On Jul 31, 2023
Omo Yoruba Karo ojiire!

Oduduwa nation (in Igboho's tongue)!

But why do these people like Identification?

Someone can identify as a White despite being Dark in complexion!

Someone can identify as a kid despite being in an adult!

Someone can identify as a man despite being a woman!

Someone can identify as a dog despite being clearly human!

*2SLGTBQIA+ is an acronym for Two-Spirit, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and/or Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, and the plus reflects the countless affirmative ways in which people choose to self-identify.

This identification is anti-Yoruba!
Let us ban it before our kids embrace them here!

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by STEWpid(f): 9:57am On Jul 31, 2023
Chai..

Lady yen ti Ronu.

No matter who you are, there's nothing bigger than your identity.

Lobarton.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I’m Yoruba, They Only See Me As White —Falcons’ Ashleigh Plumptre by Gdammiy: 9:57am On Jul 31, 2023
Ur mama blood sharp wella

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Look Luxembourg Players Gave Ronaldo (Photos) / Matthew Wolff: Meet The Designer Of Super Eagles New Jerseys / Formiga Become The Oldest Player In Women's World Cup History. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.