Stats: 3,150,924 members, 7,810,539 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:49 AM

Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity (23995 Views)

DSS Stops Sowore From Addressing The Press, Grabs Him (Video) / Court Stops El-Rufai From Licensing Pastors, Imams In Kaduna / Stop Buhari From Addressing 73rd General Assembly, Frank Writes UN (2) (3) (4)

Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by gmo10(m): 6:06pm On Aug 01, 2023
The former Kaduna State Governor was one of the 28-man ministerial nominees of President Bola Tinubu

Senate President Godswill Akpabio, on Tuesday, stopped former Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai, from addressing a “strong petition” cited against him on the floor of the Senate during his ministerial screening exercise.

El-Rufai, who was Kaduna governor from May 2015 to May 2023, made the 28-man ministerial list of President Bola Tinubu.

Like other nominees being screened, El-Rufai was in the red chamber for confirmation today (Tuesday), and upon entering the hallowed chambers, he shared his resume from the lawmakers.

The 63-year-old told the Senators that it is his second time in the hallowed chamber having been screened and confirmed as Federal Capital Territory minister 20 years ago.

Senator Abdulaziz Yari from Zamfara West Senatorial District thereafter asked El-Rufai to share his plan on how to increase Nigeria’s electricity generation and distribution if made the power minister.

However, Senator Ibrahim Khalid from Kaduna North Senatorial District quickly urged his colleagues to allow El-Rufai take a bow without further questioning just as the upper chamber allowed ex-Governors Nyesom Wike (Rivers) and Dave Umahi (Ebonyi) to do during appearances and ministerial screenings.

Senator Karimi Sunday from Kogi West Senatorial District subsequently took over the floor and raised a “very strong petition” against El-Rufai that bothered on insecurity, unity and national cohesion.

Sunday, who praised El-Rufai’s performance as Kaduna governor and FCT minister said, “but I have a very strong petition against you that bothers on security, unity and cohesiveness of the Nigerian nation and I think that petition has to be considered along this screening exercise”.

Sunday’s statement did not go down well with most of the lawmakers and Senator Muhammad Sani from Niger East Senatorial District told his colleagues to allow El-Rufai “take a bow and go” like other ex-governors.

But responding to Yari’s question, El-Rufai said amendments to the Electricity Act 2023 and the Petroleum Industry Act 2021 may be necessary to bring desired changes to the power sector.

The Kaduna ex-governor later moved to respond to Sunday’s comment on the petition against him.

“Distinguished Senate President, I would like to say one or two words before I leave. The distinguished Senator from Kogi talked about a petition against me,” El-Rufai said at the tail end of his appearance.

There was, however, a loud resistance from the Senators against the subject and the Senate President intervened saying, “Distinguished colleagues, perhaps I should inform you that I have received petitions from many other people in respect of other nominees but this is not where we are to deal with petitions. Our job here is to screen and of course, we can refer petitions to where petitions would be dealt with.

“These are the nominees of Mr President. If it is something that is a formal petition before the Senate, we will look at it formally but there are certain petitions that we have to refer to the Presidency or security agencies to look at and that has nothing to do with us.

“I think by the time we are going with the issue of confirmation and approval, we will so advise. So, I will want to plead with my brother (El-Rufai) to take a bow. So, don’t bother about (addressing the petition). Thank you.”

El-Rufai took a bow afterward and left the red chambers.

Kaduna, one of the seven states in North West Nigeria, is one of the most hit by killings and kidnappings in the last four years. Officials data from the state government with El-Rufai as governor showed that bandits, terrorists, and armed men killed 1,192 residents and kidnapped over 3,000 innocent persons in the state in 2021.

Also, in 2022, the state government confirmed that 1,052 people were killed, 4,227 were abducted and 648 were injured.

Aside from the killings recorded in the state, especially in Southern Kaduna, the state has recorded some of the most dastard terrorist attacks in the country including a March 28, 2022, terrorist attack on a moving passenger AK9 train and insurgent attack on the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) on August 24, 2021.

https://www.channelstv.com/2023/08/01/ministerial-screening-akpabio-stops-el-rufai-from-addressing-strong-petition-on-kaduna-insecurity/amp/

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by BOSSkesh(m): 6:08pm On Aug 01, 2023
Y
Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by BOSSkesh(m): 6:09pm On Aug 01, 2023
Elrufai should take a bow and go
He is already a minister
God punish anybody that wants to stand in your way

30 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by Zionmdde: 6:12pm On Aug 01, 2023
BOSSkesh:
He is already a minister
And what are you in life?

233 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by Zionmdde: 6:14pm On Aug 01, 2023
Why the screening in the first place?
There was no need for it. They don't need to give any reason or explain what they intend to do as ministers. They have paid their dues by helping out in elections. Just give them their rewards and let everyone move on

The greatest idiots are the ones here who won't smell any dividends of the party to stay here day and night worshipping

157 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by leanonme82: 6:14pm On Aug 01, 2023
Hahahaaa! This is so funny.

These guys are so loyal dem be like mafia gang. I love it. grin

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by OneCandleAway(f): 6:16pm On Aug 01, 2023
BOSSkesh:
He is already a minister

May the blood of the dead southern Kaduna people be on you and el Rufai head

116 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by leanonme82: 6:18pm On Aug 01, 2023
OneCandleAway:

May the blood of the dead southern Kaduna people be on you and el Rufai head

Na so.

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by leanonme82: 6:20pm On Aug 01, 2023
Zionmdde:
There was no need for it. They don't need to give any reason or explain what they intend to do as ministers. They have paid their dues by helping out in elections. Just give them their rewards and let everyone move on

The greatest idiots are the ones here who won't smell any dividends of the party to stay here day and night worshipping

STFU Loser. None of ur backward SE Governors including Obi achieved 5% of what Akpabio and Elrufai did in their states as governors.

Fake ass proselytizers

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by ozo13(m): 6:34pm On Aug 01, 2023
Zionmdde:

In some sensitive issue,high level of maturity is needed.Do you expect the Senate president to allow such sensitive and divisive issues be discuss in the open.i don't think it is wise.
For example do u think it will be cool to ask peter Obi in the same situation about the audio leak of call he had with a "pastor" where he talked about "election bn a war" .Am sure the Senate president will not allow such a divisive question to be answered by peter Obi even if he is innocent of the accusation.My Observation Sha.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by John4B: 6:40pm On Aug 01, 2023
I'm not even expecting anybody to be disqualified in this exercise. Those men hv paid their dues.

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by Zionmdde: 8:35pm On Aug 01, 2023
ozo13:
In some sensitive issue,high level of maturity is needed.Do you expect the Senate president to allow such sensitive and divisive issues be discuss in the open.i don't think it is wise.
For example do u think it will be cool to ask peter Obi in the same situation about the audio leak of call he had with a "pastor" where he talked about "election bn a war" .Am sure the Senate president will not allow such a divisive question to be answered by peter Obi even if he is innocent of the accusation.My Observation Sha.
So they shouldn't as him how he handled security issues in kaduna, it's sensitive because your loved one was amongst those killed.
And why mention Obi? I am not a worshipper of any politician. I don't judge right or wrong on the basis of personality. For u guys as long as it's APC everything is correct
Sensitive issue indeed

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by Zionmdde: 8:40pm On Aug 01, 2023
leanonme82:

STFU Loser. None of ur backward SE Governors including Obi achieved 5% of what Akpabio and Elrufai did in their states as governors.

Fake ass proselytizers
Tribal bigots are very stupid in my eyes. They are actually idiots to me. See you boasting of akpabio and elrufai. What us your surname again?
And wats my business about any SE governor. I don't asslick politicians, I don't care where they are from

Loser? Lol. Ok winner go and shake hands with ur political gods na. Like find where they are meeting and try to gain entrance. Bigots always reasoning like animals

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by yarimo(m): 8:41pm On Aug 01, 2023
The bribe taking Christian association of Nigeria CAN with their unserious petition . El RUFAI next minister of defense

45 Likes

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by wegevv: 9:03pm On Aug 01, 2023
yarimo:
The bribe taking Christian association of Nigeria CAN with their unserious petition . El RUFAI next minister of defense

Why isn’t their ministerial position public knowledge yet? What’s the point of screening without knowing where they’re going?

And why isn’t the second batch of ministers released yet? Is there more than one deadline?

cc Garfield1

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by Shinjawestern: 9:04pm On Aug 01, 2023
yarimo:

When will u get a job?

Always online

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by ambale(m): 9:09pm On Aug 01, 2023
Does screening have another meaning?

Cos im not getting this bow and go, these guys just dey show up like say they are working. 🤔

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by ozo13(m): 9:46pm On Aug 01, 2023
Zionmdde:

So they shouldn't as him how he handled security issues in kaduna, it's sensitive because your loved one was amongst those killed.
And why mention Obi? I am not a worshipper of any politician. I don't judge right or wrong on the basis of personality. For u guys as long as it's APC everything is correct
Sensitive issue indeed
please who did he kill for God sake.u can see the reason such issues are sensitive and must be avoided as much as we can.He was even ready to speak Abt the clarification he was asked to make but most of the lawmakers elected by the citizens of the country don't see it a wise decision to allow him speak on such sensitive issues.
Its not about me loosing someone or not.I know Kaduna to an extent.infact na there my sister build her house despite the fact she and her husband are not from kaduna.
I pray and hope the current governor will be able to unite both side because I saw alot of disturbing videos before the conclusion of the last gubernatorial election and all I saw was division and serious hate from both side.
When you talking about the architect of modern FCT, Before you mention 3 names , am sure El Rufai name will be among them.Same thing in kaduna.i went there and saw things myself and hear people speak about issues too.Infact I dey some kaduna Whatsapp group to to be current Abt happenings there.I was even to marry there but it didn't later work.
Like I said earlier, I hope the current governor unite both side in equity, peace and Justice for the progress of the state the exact same way we want in other part of the country where there is serious political and religious division.
We no fit dey suffer economically and still be killing ourselves in the name of tribe, politics and religion

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by Wutinky: 9:52pm On Aug 01, 2023
ozo13:
please who did he kill for God sake.u can see the reason such issues are sensitive and must be avoided as much as we can.He was even ready to speak Abt the clarification he was asked to make but most of the lawmakers elected by the citizens of the country don't see it a wise decision to allow him speak on such sensitive issues.
Its not about me loosing someone or not.I know Kaduna to an extent.infact na there my sister build her house despite the fact she and her husband are not from kaduna.
I pray and hope the current governor will be able to unite both side because I saw alot of disturbing videos before the conclusion of the last gubernatorial election.
When you talking about the architect of modern FCT, Before you mention 3 names , am sure El Rufai name will be among them.Same thing in kaduna.i went there and saw things myself and hear people speak about issues too.Infact I dey some kaduna Whatsapp group to to be current Abt happenings there.I was even to marry there but it didn't later work.
Like I said earlier, I hope the current governor unite both side in equity, peace and Justice for the progress of the state the exact same way we want in other part of the country where there is serious political and religious division.
We no fit dey suffer economically and still be killing ourselves in the name of tribe, politics and religion

Confused mofo what do you know about his question when you don't have sense? family must be celebrating we have raised our son to men level without knowing he is fool and waste of space.

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by ozo13(m): 9:53pm On Aug 01, 2023
Wutinky:

Confused mofo what do you know about his question when you don't have sense? family must be celebrating we have raised our son to men level without knowing he is fool and waste of space.
speak about issues.i don't have time for anything hate.You are here complaining on social media and your representative ask him to take a bow and leave

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by yarimo(m): 11:24pm On Aug 01, 2023
Shinjawestern:

When will u get a job?

Always online
Hehe that means you are also online grin grin

45 Likes

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by Zionmdde: 4:10am On Aug 02, 2023
ozo13:
I pray and hope the current governor will be able to unite both side because I saw alot of disturbing videos before the conclusion of the last gubernatorial election and all I saw was division and serious hate from both side.
He was the governor of a state where people died in their hundreds without any reasonable government intervention. I am not a preacher of love, if u are given a job, do it. If u can't do it, step down.
If an engineer is expected to deliver a job in the midst of impossible constraints, if professionals can be prosecuted for their failures on the job, why can't we hold political office holders responsible for the job they are supposed to do.

Why do we resort to prayers when it gets to politicians?

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by ozo13(m): 5:42am On Aug 02, 2023
Zionmdde:

He was the governor of a state where people died in their hundreds without any reasonable government intervention. I am not a preacher of love, if u are given a job, do it. If u can't do it, step down.
If an engineer is expected to deliver a job in the midst of impossible constraints, if professionals can be prosecuted for their failures on the job, why can't we hold political office holders responsible for the job they are supposed to do.

Why do we resort to prayers when it gets to politicians?
u have a good point my brother.He complained as well and even profer solution to the FG then but noting was done.You and I knew how Buhari was slow to act then nah.Am sure the new chief of defense staff who is from southern kaduna will do the needful.Thanks Boss

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by MrALIVE: 6:26am On Aug 02, 2023
BOSSkesh:
He is already a minister
By the time Tinubu finishes 4 years, electric wire will be fatter than you.

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by benjackugo: 6:59am On Aug 02, 2023
See the full video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPqJjzaCG9E

Seun Lalasticlala Mynd44 nlfpmod mukina2
Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by kabillionaire(m): 7:31am On Aug 02, 2023
No problem!
Hope military intervention is drawing near?

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by Penguin2: 7:56am On Aug 02, 2023
It doesn’t matter if it’s today or tomorrow or next, but Elrufai shall answer for his crimes eventually.

For relegating Christians in Kaduna.

For enthroning Islamic jingoism in Kaduna.

For the incessant massacre of the people of Southern Kaduna.

Obadiah Mailafiah told us and the world that a northern governor was the commander of Boko Haram and we know who our prime suspect is.

That Akpabio stupid him from answering those questions today doesn’t mean he has escaped justice. Osama Biladen didn’t get served Justice the day he bombed the World Trade Centre, but he got served eventually.

Death to all terrorists and their supporters!

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by AmadeGTG: 9:03am On Aug 02, 2023
K
Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by Racoon(m): 9:04am On Aug 02, 2023
Tyrannical people everywhere in government

Re: Akpabio Stops El-Rufai From Addressing ‘Strong Petition’ On Kaduna Insecurity by watersideboys: 9:04am On Aug 02, 2023
Obi is coming . No need for this 😆

Tinubu Appoints Tunji Olaopa Chairman Civil Service Commission / Buhari’s Integrity Increases Power Supply, Says APC: Punch / Obasa Approved N40M For Feeding Less Than 40 Muslim Lawmakers - SaharaReporters

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59