Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,336 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:14 AM

(UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard (2379 Views)

Why Former Emir Sanusi’s Portrait Was Reintroduced At Coronation Hall / Update: My Prediction By Region (2023 Elections) / CBN urged to Dismissed WEMA BANK CEO,over alleged Fraud with Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

(UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by ibinaboonline: 12:37pm On Aug 03, 2023
I have an update for this post.

So, Wema Bank finally got back to me this Saturday evening. They says they'd fixed the issue with my card and apologized for the inconveniences. Although it took almost five days to get a response from them, I'm glad they actually replied with a solution instead of the usual gaslighting you typically get from Nigerian banks. Yes, it's working now!! The monthly limit is $500, but I don't mind. Who even get thousands of dollars to spend these days😄? So, yes, Wema Bank's naira Mastercard works!

So, the news broke about three weeks ago that Wema Bank has brought back the naira Visa and Mastercard. It was the best news I've heard in a year as I look forward to a hassle-free transactions, especially to pay for my website's SEO support.

So, I waited a week to see if other banks will follow suit. I was pretty sure Wema is just the first, and that offer banks like First Bank and Zenith (where I already have accounts) will make their own announcements in the following week. Wrong.

Other banks will probably join Wema in this aspect, but I couldn't wait anymore. So, I headed into a Wema Bank branch last week Wednesday and opened a savings account. I asked about the Mastercard availability before even filling the account opening form. They assured me the thing is real. Me equals very happy.

I returned to the bank on Tuesday this week to get the card. Me equals happiness again the moment I was handed the purple card with Mastercard's logo at the bottom right and my name on the left. Will it work for online transactions? Wilco, they assured me.

Back home, it was time to experience something I've missed since Buhari's administration. I waited till the next day, though. My first attempt with my shiny newly acquired Mastercard was to pay for a diib subscription to support my website. My heart skipped a beat when the otp landed in my phone. Sadly, the transaction ended with: "your card has been declined."

Note: I have more than enough balance in my account. My heart sank. It just reminded me that most of these naira MasterCards were just in name and not function even before the ban. For example, I had FCMB and Ecobank Mastercards that never worked. Only my First Bank Mastercard worked like a charm back then.

Well, I've emailed Wema Bank requesting an explanation. That was yesterday; still awaiting their reply.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by doggedfighter(f): 12:40pm On Aug 03, 2023
Wema got my attention during the cash crunch time.

This is because they were the only bank that provided decent chairs and shade for their customers.

Even when other bank customers were having it tough and rough under the sun. Theirs were comfortably seated.

The just opened a new branch shortly at New market road shortly before they crisis started.

And their customers said as much as possible they made cash available.

I want to believe they will come through in this master card issue too.

1 Like

Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by OneCandleAway(f): 12:41pm On Aug 03, 2023
Just use chipper cash if its urgent and a small transaction
Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by Nobody: 12:41pm On Aug 03, 2023
Interesting...

Sorry about that

2 Likes

Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by abhosts(m): 12:42pm On Aug 03, 2023
My Wema Naira MasterCard works fine for dollar transactions but the rate is too high.

₦913/$

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by ibinaboonline: 12:42pm On Aug 03, 2023
Na full stop you take book space? 😐
doggedfighter:
Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by ibinaboonline: 12:44pm On Aug 03, 2023
What I experienced with PayDay and Cardify, I'll never for the life of me dabble with their likes again. The only exception would be if Opay offered dollar cards too.
OneCandleAway:
Just use chipper cash if its urgent and a small transaction

1 Like

Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by ibinaboonline: 12:45pm On Aug 03, 2023
Wow. $913!!!. Omo, na serious business dem dey o. Mine is not working at all though.
abhosts:
My Wema Naira MasterCard works fine for dollar transactions but the rate is too high.

₦913/$
Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by doggedfighter(f): 12:51pm On Aug 03, 2023
ibinaboonline:
Na full stop you take book space? 😐

Ibinabo grin

Let me breef..
Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by ibinaboonline: 12:54pm On Aug 03, 2023
Breef o. We all need ventilators these days.
doggedfighter:

Ibinabo grin

Let me breef..

1 Like

Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by OneCandleAway(f): 1:23pm On Aug 03, 2023
ibinaboonline:
What I experienced with PayDay and Cardify, I'll never for the life of me dabble with their likes again. The only exception would be if Opay offered dollar cards too.

Chipper is good, just expensive exchange rate but works fine
Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by Grit2943(m): 1:29pm On Aug 03, 2023
I used mine last week but the rate is high
$1=#910

1 Like

Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by gr8ofnnetwork(m): 1:32pm On Aug 03, 2023
WemaBank is gradually becoming the real digital bank we need.
Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by CodeTemplar: 1:45pm On Aug 03, 2023
abhosts:

₦913/$
Sad. One thing I realize is, there will always be a black market as long as the I&E window doesn't cater for all forex needs and that market is bound to be slightly higher so privileged hoarders from I&E can resell for a profit as usual.

1 Like

Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by ibinaboonline: 8:11pm On Aug 03, 2023
Okay o.
OneCandleAway:

Chipper is good, just expensive exchange rate but works fine
Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by frikalone: 11:44am On Aug 04, 2023
I am sure you will get a positive response. I have someone who recently used the master. Their limit is $500.
ibinaboonline:
So, the news broke about three weeks ago that Wema Bank has brought back the naira Visa and Mastercard. It was the best news I've heard in a year as I look forward to a hassle-free transactions, especially to pay for my website's SEO support.

So, I waited a week to see if other banks will follow suit. I was pretty sure Wema is just the first, and that offer banks like First Bank and Zenith (where I already have accounts) will make their own announcements in the following week. Wrong.

Other banks will probably join Wema in this aspect, but I couldn't wait anymore. So, I headed into a Wema Bank branch last week Wednesday and opened a savings account. I asked about the Mastercard availability before even filling the account opening form. They assured me the thing is real. Me equals very happy.

I returned to the bank on Tuesday this week to get the card. Me equals happiness again the moment I was handed the purple card with Mastercard's logo at the bottom right and my name on the left. Will it work for online transactions? Wilco, they assured me.

Back home, it was time to experience something I've missed since Buhari's administration. I waited till the next day, though. My first attempt with my shiny newly acquired Mastercard was to pay for a diib subscription to support my website. My heart skipped a beat when the otp landed in my phone. Sadly, the transaction ended with: "your card has been declined."

Note: I have more than enough balance in my account. My heart sank. It just reminded me that most of these naira MasterCards were just in name and not function even before the ban. For example, I had FCMB and Ecobank Mastercards that never worked. Only my First Bank Mastercard worked like a charm back then.

Well, I've emailed Wema Bank requesting an explanation. That was yesterday; still awaiting their reply.
Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by nairajotter: 12:11pm On Aug 04, 2023
Wema bank master card works though I know a number of guys who have used it since they launched it, yours might just be a minor case of one of those verification issues. Don't forget to drop update here when you get sorted so some pple can be guided.
ibinaboonline:

1 Like

Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by ibinaboonline: 2:06pm On Aug 04, 2023
Okay, I will. I haven't even heard back from the customer service since two days. That's part of the problem. This country tires you from every corner.
nairajotter:
Wema bank master card works though I know a number of guys who have used it since they launched it, yours might just be a minor case of one of those verification issues. Don't forget to drop update here when you get sorted so some pple can be guided.
Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by ibinaboonline: 2:08pm On Aug 04, 2023
I'm glad to hear that. I was just going to pay for $7.99 subscription, which is way below the $500 limit.
frikalone:
I am sure you will get a positive response. I have someone who recently used the master. Their limit is $500.
Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by ivolt: 2:09pm On Aug 04, 2023
You don't even need to go to the bank to get the card.
Just create a virtual card in the alat app and you get it in seconds.

I have used the virtual card on Facebook, Google, and Paypal with no issue.

2 Likes

Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by ibinaboonline: 2:21pm On Aug 04, 2023
That's really something. I really hope Nigerians will never again experience what we went through that time. Wema seems to be rolling out innovative products these days. Well, I hope my card issue is resolved and timely. I still haven't heard back.

By the way, I've just realized this space booking thing is real. You booked with a period yesterday 😄
doggedfighter:
Wema got my attention during the cash crunch time.

This is because they were the only bank that provided decent chairs and shade for their customers.

Even when other bank customers were having it tough and rough under the sun. Theirs were comfortably seated.

The just opened a new branch shortly at New market road shortly before they crisis started.

And their customers said as much as possible they made cash available.

I want to believe they will come through in this master card issue too.

1 Like

Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by olowofariwo(m): 2:22pm On Aug 04, 2023
You can chat them on Twitter or Facebook messenger
Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by ibinaboonline: 2:22pm On Aug 04, 2023
They're cashing out, obviously. Can we blame them?
Grit2943:
I used mine last week but the rate is high
$1=#910
Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by ibinaboonline: 2:22pm On Aug 04, 2023
It's looking that way.
gr8ofnnetwork:
WemaBank is gradually becoming the real digital bank we need.
Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by ibinaboonline: 2:24pm On Aug 04, 2023
Good to know.
ivolt:

You don't even need to go to the bank to get the card.
Just create a virtual card in the alat app and you get it in seconds.

I have used the virtual card on Facebook, Google, and Paypal with no issue.
Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by citygarden(m): 2:33pm On Aug 04, 2023
I believe that the only MasterCard working is the domiciled account but banks are now operating like Obaki exchange because they want to make more profit. All this other fintech app are not reliable. Especially payday they are the worst
Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by HAminat(f): 2:42pm On Aug 04, 2023
ibinaboonline:

At Cardify, we take pride in an active nairaland support, kindly help with the issue you faced so we could resolve, that's if it's yet to be resolved already anyway.
Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by ibinaboonline: 2:46pm On Aug 04, 2023
I believe that the only MasterCard working is the domiciled account
Not really. You can see the Naira logo at the top left of the card.

... banks are now operating like Obaki exchange because they want to make more profit.

That much is true. People are saying Wema Bank's rate exceeds 900 naira. Go figure.

All this other fintech app are not reliable. Especially payday they are the worst

I can't agree more. Speaking from experience. I think Opay would've been far better than these lots if it offered dollar cards.

citygarden:
I believe that the only MasterCard working is the domiciled account but banks are now operating like Obaki exchange because they want to make more profit. All this other fintech app are not reliable. Especially payday they are the worst
Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by ibinaboonline: 2:48pm On Aug 04, 2023
Unfortunately, I already moved on since during the cash mop up. It's a bad experience I don't wish to revisit. I didn't know you guys were on Nairaland though. I would've tabled the matter here.
HAminat:

At Cardify, we take pride in an active nairaland support, kindly help with the issue you faced so we could resolve, that's if it's yet to be resolved already anyway.
Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by Dejiz: 3:25pm On Aug 05, 2023
You don't mean it, i did my subscription successfully without hassles yesterday. This must not happen to meeee OOOO @ wema bank. what can you say to this? Guy retry the transaction again and show them the exact error you got, the bank has been very responsive these days.
Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by ibinaboonline: 8:18pm On Aug 05, 2023
I already tried again with no luck. I'll probably have to go back to the bank in person. I haven't received a reply to the email I sent them like four days ago. I even reached out to their WhatsApp line this morning but they're taking forever to respond too.
Dejiz:
You don't mean it, i did my subscription successfully without hassles yesterday. This must not happen to meeee OOOO @ wema bank. what can you say to this? Guy retry the transaction again and show them the exact error you got, the bank has been very responsive these days.
you dey do @Wema bank for Nairaland 😄
Re: (UPDATE) My Experience Using Wema Bank's Newly Reintroduced Mastercard by ibinaboonline: 11:39pm On Aug 05, 2023
They fixed it. It's working now.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

David Hundeyin Committed Treason / Why Saharareports Was Shutdown / Imo State Shuts Down As Women Protest Okorocha’s Intimidation By Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.