Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,781 members, 7,837,839 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 11:28 AM

Pidgin English Vs Queen's English. Which Is More Popular In Nigeria? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Pidgin English Vs Queen's English. Which Is More Popular In Nigeria? (2384 Views)

Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / Nigerian Pidgin English And Their Meanings / Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pidgin English Vs Queen's English. Which Is More Popular In Nigeria? by chima2011: 1:32am On Oct 11, 2011
Pidgin English vs Queens English. which is more popular in Nigeria

To me in terms of spoken English, Pidgin English beat queen's English hands down in Nigeria because most folks just prefer to speak pidgin.

But in writing, I think people are just used to normal English. It is even evident online where communication is virtually via writing except in few cases such as www.naweown.com (a pidgin English social networking site) where people are allowed or expected to communicate strictly in pidgin
Re: Pidgin English Vs Queen's English. Which Is More Popular In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 4:36am On Oct 11, 2011
This is not a contest. Pidgin is more widely spoken than English not to talk of Queens English. How many people speak queens english in Nigeria gan self.
Re: Pidgin English Vs Queen's English. Which Is More Popular In Nigeria? by aljharem3: 4:55am On Oct 11, 2011
Pigin english is what Unite us Nigerians. That is why it is more popular than Queens English

In fact you would be the laughing stock on the street if you speak "Queens English"
Re: Pidgin English Vs Queen's English. Which Is More Popular In Nigeria? by anonymous6(f): 2:22pm On Oct 11, 2011
I don't know about other parts of Nigeria but in Yorubaland it is proper English(not Shakespearean English though) or the few that are uneducated will speak broken English(not pigeon though). However Yoruba language is number one amongst Yoruba's then English comes after but Pigeon English was not invented by Yoruba's any way; that doesn't mean they don't engage in speaking it but I have noticed Yoruba's respect proper English over pigeon English. Yoruba's tend to speak pigeon when they are engaging in conversation with eastern tribes of Nigeria but when they are speaking with non-eastern tribes they tend to just speak regular English.
Re: Pidgin English Vs Queen's English. Which Is More Popular In Nigeria? by DaRapture: 5:22am On Oct 17, 2011
anonymous6:

I don't know about other parts of Nigeria but in Yorubaland it is proper English(not Shakespearean English though) or the few that are uneducated will speak broken English(not pigeon though). However Yoruba language is number one amongst Yoruba's then English comes after but Pigeon English was not invented by Yoruba's any way; that doesn't mean they don't engage in speaking it but I have noticed Yoruba's respect proper English over pigeon English. Yoruba's tend to speak pigeon when they are engaging in conversation with eastern tribes of Nigeria but when they are speaking with non-eastern tribes they tend to just speak regular English.

The FEW that are uneducated? LOL! According to statistics most are uneducated. LOL are you attempting to sugar ish. cheesy
Re: Pidgin English Vs Queen's English. Which Is More Popular In Nigeria? by emofine(f): 10:00am On Oct 17, 2011
Pijin sweet pass kween english abeg tongue any mata for ground wey man wan yan pijin get am pass for many levelz. . . sha na additional entertainment e come bring - the way pesin come arrange dem display anyhow bi lyk say pijin na art form.

I believe Pidgin is more popular in certain regions however as I doubt people in Borno state (for example) communicate in the lingo.

You may have a point about not as many people who speak pidgin write in pidgin, but talking and writing na different mata nau. . . some people sabi speak am pass writing sef as for me I no sabi fit to form na pijin I dey gbadun, no lele.
Re: Pidgin English Vs Queen's English. Which Is More Popular In Nigeria? by anonymous6(f): 1:15pm On Oct 18, 2011
DaRapture:

The FEW that are uneducated? LOL! According to statistics most are uneducated. LOL are you attempting to sugar ish.  cheesy

Statistics from western media right? Yeah there are many uneducated Nigerians in Nigeria but "most of them" as you say are uneducated are not in southern Nigeria, do you even know where the large percentage of where most of them are? hmmm I guess you don't know the answer. Most of the uneducated in Nigeria are from Northern Nigeria(which is a Hausa region & of majority Islamic religion) because western influenced education is not as important to them Compared to the other tribe's in Nigeria. At least in Lagos education is free(which is in Yorubaland). Plus Yorubaland is the land I was talking about.

I don't know what you are trying prove in this discussion, you are even african american so how would you know anything pass those general statistics
Re: Pidgin English Vs Queen's English. Which Is More Popular In Nigeria? by ezeagu(m): 9:41pm On Oct 18, 2011
No one speaks "Queens English" in the queens land talkless of Nigeria.
Re: Pidgin English Vs Queen's English. Which Is More Popular In Nigeria? by iice(f): 3:35pm On Oct 20, 2011
Pidgin
Re: Pidgin English Vs Queen's English. Which Is More Popular In Nigeria? by Agnesqueen(f): 2:26am On Oct 21, 2011
In most professional settings, the queen's english prevails but in the streets and in gatherings, na pidgin. I just went back to Nigeria and saw it.
Re: Pidgin English Vs Queen's English. Which Is More Popular In Nigeria? by kistehsia(f): 4:13am On Oct 23, 2011
I would like to learn Nigerian Pidgin, if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you in advance, kistehsia

(1) (Reply)

A Growing 'Nigerianisation' Of Ghanaian Society? / Original Human Hair at Affordable Prices.... / IGBO AMAKA! This 5 Photos Will Make You Fall In Love With Igbo Culture. (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.