Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,992 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:59 AM

Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? (14118 Views)

15 Reasons You Should Be Proud To Be A Nigerian(pics) / Nigerian Pidgin English And Their Meanings / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by chima2011: 10:10pm On Sep 20, 2011
With launching of pidgin-based radio stations like wazobia FM and pidgin English social networking website like www.naweown.com and, the language is beginning to get international recognition.

For me, I'm very proud of pidgin English because pidgin na the only thing wey be we own for this naija. Oyinbo no be we own, hoha!
wetin you think?
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by Beaf: 10:33pm On Sep 20, 2011
Pidgin English should be Nigeria's only official language.

The choice of language for learning and communicating can greatly affect a nations economic and developmental standing. Most Nigerians can express themselves more clearly and naturally in Pidgin English than in Queens English, this is because its structure is very similar to our mother tongues. It is proven science that learning in ones mother tongue produces quantifiably better results than learning in a foreign tongue.

If we are serious about development, we would look to standardise and adopt Pidgin English as our national tongue.

1 Like

Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by Rhino5dm: 11:15pm On Sep 20, 2011
^ so where you go keep this your big big grammer if we adopt Pidgin?. . .I prefer making Yoruba official language cool cool.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by chima2011: 12:52am On Sep 21, 2011
Beaf:

The choice of language for learning and communicating can greatly affect a nations economic and developmental standing. Most Nigerians can express themselves more clearly and naturally in Pidgin English than in Queens English, this is because its structure is very similar to our mother tongues. It is proven science that learning in ones mother tongue produces quantifiably better results than learning in a foreign tongue.

If we are serious about development, we would look to standardise and adopt Pidgin English as our national tongue.

GBAM! Bros your talk make sense. And I go still talk am WAZOBIA FM and www.naweown.com na the 2 best things wey don ever happen to pidgin language for Naija
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by okadaman2: 1:21am On Sep 21, 2011
^

Bros nothing do you. I dey see your format wink
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by emofine(f): 6:44am On Sep 21, 2011
Beaf:

Oga you too make sense sha but I don't think pidgin should be Nigeria's only official language . . . . that is all.

Rhino.5dm:

^ so where you go keep this your big big grammer if we adopt Pidgin?. . .

hehe tongue
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by emofine(f): 6:50am On Sep 21, 2011
@ topic

Should Nigeria be proud of speaking Pidgin? hehe nufin do us abeg we send dem before so wetin na. . . I speak it for entertainment and it's much more easy to express myself in pigin than a stiff-necked language such as english tongue and personally to tell you the truth I don't find pride in speaking another man's language, I just speak english out of necessity . . . sha I gbadun pigin wella because e don domesticate this foreigner called english language and mould am into our own pattern plus each and every tribe's language DNA exists in pidgin . . . it unites us somewhat . . . that is my opinion sha.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by Nobody: 7:18am On Sep 21, 2011
Nigerians should be proud of speaking their indigenious languages !
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by ASANIGBO(m): 7:33am On Sep 21, 2011
IS

NOT

OUR

LANGUAGE

1 Like

Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by Rgp92: 7:39am On Sep 21, 2011
No!

1 Like

Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by hassymo5(m): 7:53am On Sep 21, 2011
i LOVE PIDGIN ENGLISH ESPECIALLY THE ONE FROM WARRI!!!!!
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by antonion(m): 7:55am On Sep 21, 2011
chima2011:

With launching of pidgin-based radio stations like wazobia FM and pidgin English social networking website like www.naweown.com and, the language is beginning to get international recognition.

For me, I'm very proud of pidgin English because pidgin na the only thing wey be we own for this naija. Oyinbo no be we own, hoha!
wetin you think?

I thinks the way Nigeria speaks English its infuenced by the home language , that's a Nigerian Accents even the Italian they spek English that's infuenced by their Italian Language,

I'm South African and I speak with South African Accent.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by Nobody: 8:04am On Sep 21, 2011
Yes, we should be proud jareh!.
Really, i love it when i listen to people converse in conc. Pidgin English. (kudos to NAIJA FM). Their Warri style is still the best! Lol
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by obelisk(m): 8:05am On Sep 21, 2011
Our linguists and literary giants should come together and give the language some structure.Pidgin is the most widely accepted and understood language in Nigeria.Now the telecom companies have keyed into it as a mode of customer care.It is quite expressive and adaptable to all dialects.
I like the language well well. grin
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by phreakabit(m): 8:11am On Sep 21, 2011
antonion:

I thinks the way Nigeria speaks English its infuenced by the home language , that's a Nigerian Accents even the Italian they spek English that's infuenced by their Italian Language,

I'm South African and I speak with South African Accent.

LOL. . . . . Pidgin English isn't English per se, its basically our Slang lingo. Kinda like the coolest thing ever. Also @ OP, nice way to promote your site. I like it when people actually make a cool thread and kind of use it to their advantage in a nice and civilized manner unlike many of the trolls and spammers do here. Great contribution.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by oakcha(m): 8:13am On Sep 21, 2011
Shame to bad people, who talk say Pidgin nor go be our official langauge make he come out make Diplomatic OPJ flog am, i be warri pikin 'no lele' we rule,
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by nasoeb: 8:18am On Sep 21, 2011
Ahh Pidgin na the koko anytime

notin fit b like am

i dey sure sey Nigerians go all get a cens of belonging and wannes if we adopt pidjin as awar language becus everybody go fit talk am as e dey pain nam without any abiration becus sey em no fit speak oyibo wella
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by Ifecotag: 8:26am On Sep 21, 2011
Of course we should be PROUD because it is homegrown and initiated by us. It is a language that is spoken fluently and understood easily by almost every Niajan regardless of tribe. It is the original LINGUA FRANCA in Naija and not the 'Queens English'. Our linguists and literally scholars should work towards structuring better for academic usage.

Language is a form of communication. If you don't or can't speak the language one understands very well, you are not communicating. And the person is not understanding fully. Which leads to limited information and knowledge being transmitted.

If you take a look at many countries, especially better developed ones. You will notice that they do almost everything in their native languages including teaching at schools from kindergarten to university level. But in Nigeria, students struggle to understand basic concepts at school due to the lack of good command of the foreign language 'English' we exalt.

Come to think of it, even countries like China, India, Brazil and many European countries teach their students in their native languages. Some people in Naija will even mock you, that you cannot even speak "Good English". Do not get me wrong. I think English should be taught as a second language for business usage worldwide. But English text books for our schools should be correctly translated into PIDGIN for students in Niaja to easily grasp the CONCEPT of the subject matter.

na wetin me think be dat.

Do you think academic performance will improve should textbooks be written and lectures be held in our "pidgin or native languages" which everyone understands better ?

1 Like

Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by Bestglo(f): 8:37am On Sep 21, 2011
i loff pidgin,it enables one to express himself the real way (the way e dey do am) and the listener can just get the message
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by Lilnikee(m): 8:46am On Sep 21, 2011
Why not!!!
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by ajalio(f): 9:08am On Sep 21, 2011
Standardise Nigerian-English Movement (SNEM) Ltd.
"To bring Nigerian English up to International Standard"

http://snem.art.officelive.com/default.aspx

Most of the Pidgin English words have now entered into the Nigerian English. You may have a view of the compilation of the online copy of a Nigerian English dictionary from the link below.

[url]http://www.rogerblench.info/Language%20data/Africa/Nigeria/NE%20Dictionary%20draft.pdf[/url]
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by OmoTier1(m): 9:14am On Sep 21, 2011
@Poster,
nothing do you! Silencer no burn your mouth, priest pikin, i shift sansa for u oh!cheesy cheesy cheesy

Do tey wey me dey yana make FG declare Pigin - Warri version as official tori tori language, nothing do you

Area!, make unah no vess, thing be say waffi no dey carry last, abi no be for enereh junction for Waffi dem for born Pidgin?

Abeg, dat wole brother wey dey sey make dem bring professor lingo ( abi nah wetin him call am?) kom structure our pidgin, ebi like sey u no know sey 9ja pidgin na freelancer! na so structure structure u na sa bi, you be brick leya sef?

You yan, I yan, nothing do you, God no go vess, nah only brown peper oyinbo go declare lingo war!

Area!!, na una broda wey get oyinbo face dey sign out from him 9ja holiday cool joint!, I thro wey salaute oh! Tortise no dey carry last for race, him dey waka him journey,
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by Jimbaz7(m): 9:18am On Sep 21, 2011
obelisk:

Our linguists and literary giants should come together and give the language some structure.Pidgin is the most widely accepted and understood language in Nigeria.Now the telecom companies have keyed into it as a mode of customer care.It is quite expressive and adaptable to all dialects.
The only problem wey I see be say you still Dey yan grammar otherwise you Don talk wetin ey my minD
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by OmoTier1(m): 9:24am On Sep 21, 2011
☻ajali☺:

Standardise Nigerian-English Movement (SNEM) Ltd.
"To bring Nigerian English up to International Standard"

http://snem.art.officelive.com/default.aspx

Most of the Pidgin English words have now entered into the Nigerian English. You may have a view of the compilation of the online copy of a Nigerian English dictionary from the link below.

[url]http://www.rogerblench.info/Language%20data/Africa/Nigeria/NE%20Dictionary%20draft.pdf[/url
Bros eyi, abeg no vess oh,  wich one be standard 9ja inglish again?

9ja pidgin nah free style,  him dey radiate with the happenings for area! 9ja pidgin for KD and Lasgidi no be de same thing nah,  area influence na him dey ruff fix pidgin, abeg make una forget this standardization abi nah wetin u call am?  

me see this one sey na monkey chop i chop activity unah dey do so oh !
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by Mortiple(m): 9:44am On Sep 21, 2011
~Bluetooth:

End of discussion!!!
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by ajalio(f): 9:50am On Sep 21, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Mortiple:

End of discussion!!!

Omo_Tier1:

Bros eyi, abeg no vess oh,  wich one be standard 9ja inglish again?

9ja pidgin nah free style,  him dey radiate with the happenings for area! 9ja pidgin for KD and Lasgidi no be de same thing nah,  area influence na him dey ruff fix pidgin, abeg make una forget this standardization abi nah wetin u call am?  

me see this one sey na monkey chop i chop activity unah dey do so oh !

The language of any individual is an important expression of his/her cultural and personal identity and needs to be well-kept, no doubt,  even the various Pidgin slangs.

But in an area where different people with different languages meet each other a second chosen common language is surely a necessity not only to comunicate but also to build a shared identity.
In case of Nigeria a common language like Pidgin English, which I prefer, is an important step on building a shared identity, though just one out of many,
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by sebastinta(m): 10:22am On Sep 21, 2011
y cant we use a native language, pidgin is nt even originated from 9ja, even countries like ghana nd benin speak pidgin, abeg tell me smthn else joor
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by daywatcher: 10:33am On Sep 21, 2011
we def should be proud of pidging as it was made by us.

Something to confuse the oyinbos with just like dey do to us with their own.

Even gan, change the whole NASS to pidgin, but rethink, do they speak pidgin in the North?
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by wilxz(m): 10:38am On Sep 21, 2011
The problem be say, which of the pigins wey we wan use as official language, If 9ja wan use pigin dey communicate, the way, wey i take dey yarn my own no be the wey u take dey yarn ur own. so which common ground we go meet, to take centralize the whole thing. Anyboby fit come up with one slang, call am pigin English. As terry G come name him hair style 'Swagalazito', that one don turn name of hair style like that.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by blakmonsta: 10:42am On Sep 21, 2011
whats wrong with us here pidgin is a simplified version of a foreign language created to distinguish lower classes and poor people from the upper classes!

this is nonsense! our indigenous languages give us more identity than this horrific creation of colonial masters!

if you truly want to surpass the colonials you must master their language and elevate your own! not adopting a condescending, simplistic slave dialect as your NATIONAL TONGUE!!!!
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by member479760: 11:14am On Sep 21, 2011
correct, for us to move in development direction we got to use our own language.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Proud Of Speaking Pidgin English? by Egbagirl(f): 11:19am On Sep 21, 2011
☻ajali☺:

[url]http://www.rogerblench.info/Language%20data/Africa/Nigeria/NE%20Dictionary%20draft.pdf[/url]

Thanks for the link! at least now i can refer to it when all my oyinbo friends are asking me what these words mean.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? / Google In Igbo Language / Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.