Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,032 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

Indian Vs Nigerian University Grading System - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Indian Vs Nigerian University Grading System (1949 Views)

JAMB 2024 Marking Scheme: Verify The JAMB Grading System Right Now / Benue State University Closed As Students Protest New CGPA Grading / Nigerian Universities To Revert To Five Point Scale Of Grading System - NUC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Indian Vs Nigerian University Grading System by Nobody: 2:27pm On Aug 04, 2023
This is intended to be a reference for Nigerian universities and company HR to understand the difference between both grading systems.

In India, there is no second (2nd) class upper or 2:1, what they have instead, are 2 different types of 1st class degrees:
1. First class with distinction, which is the real 1st class, i.e. performance of 70-100 (A grades in Nigeria).
2. First class/ First Division - this is usually gotten with a performance of 60-69 (B grades in Nigeria), this is similar to Nigeria's second class upper grade or 2:1.

This grading system is said to be replaced by a grade point system in India nowadays, but still, it's important to ask for transcripts in order to understand the grading system.

Attached is the grading system in India, as seen on a UK university's (University of Reading) website. This is the reason why foreign universities demand for transcripts instead of just certificates. That your 2:1 or 2:2 might be equivalent to another country's 1st class.

PS: The aim of this post is to create awareness and not to degrade the competency of Indian graduates or Nigerians who studied in India.

1 Like

Re: Indian Vs Nigerian University Grading System by QGist(m): 2:33pm On Aug 04, 2023
Can we see a picture of a typical Nigerian University Transcript?

1 Like

Re: Indian Vs Nigerian University Grading System by Nobody: 2:42pm On Aug 04, 2023
QGist:
Can we see a picture of a typical Nigerian University Transcript?

Attached below.

2 Likes

Re: Indian Vs Nigerian University Grading System by Ay04z(m): 9:14pm On Aug 04, 2023
U go explain tire.... grin
Re: Indian Vs Nigerian University Grading System by Nobody: 10:38pm On Aug 04, 2023
Ay04z:
U go explain tire.... grin

The post is for those who passed through a university, so just focus on your NIN printing business. ✌🏾

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Indian Vs Nigerian University Grading System by MrsTwrite(f): 2:23am On Aug 05, 2023
You're very correct, Nigerians are really intelligent! As for the university of Ibadan, I think they're doing too much.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Indian Vs Nigerian University Grading System by Nobody: 2:52am On Aug 05, 2023
MrsTwrite:
You're very correct, Nigerians are really intelligent! As for the university of Ibadan, I think they're doing too much.

University of Ibadan is actually the school where you can get the easiest 1st class in Nigeria.

6.0 of 7.0 is 85.7%. Other schools like Unilag, Lasu, ABU etc use 5.0 scale and you need a minimum of 4.5 of 5.0 to have a 1st class, which means you need 90%.
Re: Indian Vs Nigerian University Grading System by MrsTwrite(f): 2:57am On Aug 05, 2023
bigadler:

University of Ibadan is actually the school where you can get the easiest 1st class in Nigeria.

6.0 of 7.0 is 85.7%. Other schools like Unilag, Lasu, ABU etc use 5.0 scale and you need a minimum of 4.5 of 5.0 to have a 1st class, which means you need 90%.

Well, I came across a student from this same school, he told that it's hard to achieve first class.
Re: Indian Vs Nigerian University Grading System by Nobody: 3:01am On Aug 05, 2023
MrsTwrite:

Well, I came across a student from this same school, he told that it's hard to achieve first class.

By all means, first class is not an easy grade to achieve in any university, it also depends on the department, but you must be ready to stay consistent.

If Nigeria used the Indian grading system, graduates with 4.0 CGPA and above would would have a 'first class'. We have 2 different second class grades (i.e. upper and lower), while India has 2 different first class grades (1st class with distinction & 1st class). I think it has really helped their citizens get jobs abroad cos most HR and companies don't know this. grin

1 Like

Re: Indian Vs Nigerian University Grading System by MrsTwrite(f): 3:11am On Aug 05, 2023
bigadler:

By all means, first class is not an easy grade to achieve in any university, it also depends on the department, but you must be ready to stay consistent.

If Nigeria used the Indian grading system, graduates with 4.0 CGPA and above would would have a 'first class'. We have 2 different second class grades (i.e. upper and lower), while India has 2 different first class grades (1st class with distinction & 1st class). I think it has really helped their citizens get jobs abroad cos most HR and companies don't know this. grin

I know everything about the grading system sir, I graduated with a second class upper. The bad side of graduating with good result here in Nigeria is that, once you're seeking for employment, these so called managers, after screening and interviewing you, might just decide to ghost you simply because they cannot see you taking thier positions.
A graduate with a good result really find it hard to get a good job.
Unlike the western world, they're blessed with sense, they appreciate good things.
Re: Indian Vs Nigerian University Grading System by Nobody: 3:17am On Aug 05, 2023
MrsTwrite:

I know everything about the grading system sir, I graduated with a second class upper. The bad side of graduating with good result here in Nigeria is that, once you're seeking for employment, these so called managers, after screening and interviewing you, might just decide to ghost you simply because they cannot see you taking thier positions.
Unlike the western world, they're blessed with sense, they appreciate good things.

The fact is that there aren't enough companies in Nigeria. Entrepreneurship is the solution to all the job search. We need more people to create jobs cos even the so called "corporate" entities aren't ready to pay well. When you eventually get the job, you must be patient cos of office politics and what not.

There are some dead sectors in Nigeria that would have provided jobs for graduates but the government is sleeping. Transport sector alone, if run efficiently, would provide so many jobs that even Nigerians would need extra hands to fill positions. But they've left that in the hands of illiterates and political thugs... At this stage in Nigeria, we have no business using danfo buses.

My advice to anyone seeking a job in Nigeria is to have a side stuff, just in case the search doesn't work out.

1 Like

Re: Indian Vs Nigerian University Grading System by MrsTwrite(f): 3:20am On Aug 05, 2023
bigadler:

The fact is that there aren't enough companies in Nigeria. Entrepreneurship is the solution to all the job search. We need more people to create jobs cos even the so called "corporate" entities aren't ready to pay well. When you eventually get the job, you must be patient cos of office politics and what not.

There are some dead sectors in Nigeria that would have provided jobs for graduates but the government is sleeping. Transport sector alone, if run efficiently, would provide so many jobs that even Nigerians would need extra hands to fill positions. But they've left that in the hands of illiterates and political thugs... At this stage in Nigeria, we have no business using danfo buses.

My advice to anyone seeking a job in Nigeria is to have a side stuff, just in case the search doesn't work out.

You're right tho but the government should be 90% responsible for creating job opportunities.
Re: Indian Vs Nigerian University Grading System by Nobody: 3:29am On Aug 05, 2023
MrsTwrite:

You're right tho but the government should be 90% responsible for creating job opportunities.

Not really... SMEs actually account for some of the most jobs created in capitalist coutries. But you have a point, that was why I highlighted the case of our transport sector. Even though they're reviving rail transport, it's really not efficient yet.

They just need to create an enabling environment so that young people can stop running away from Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Indian Vs Nigerian University Grading System by MrsTwrite(f): 3:33am On Aug 05, 2023
bigadler:

Not really... SMEs actually account for some of the most jobs created in capitalist coutries. But you have a point, that was why I highlighted the case of our transport sector. Even though they're reviving rail transport, it's really not efficient yet.

They just need to create an enabling environment so that young people can stop running away from Nigeria.

Alright!

1 Like

Re: Indian Vs Nigerian University Grading System by Acidosis(m): 4:26am On Aug 05, 2023
bigadler:

Beyond getting jobs, the grading system also helps them mentally.

The second class thing sounds like "slavery". Imagine someone saying that you're a second class citizen and you carry that certificate (mentality) everywhere you go.

Then imagine defining a 3.49 CGPA as "second class" "LOWER". The degree will mess with your mentality at some point. Is it even fair? 3.49/5.00 is 69%. So a man who scores a cumulative 69% at the end of a four year programme is a second class lower citizen of the university? Pathetic!
Re: Indian Vs Nigerian University Grading System by samuelpeters(m): 7:13am On Aug 05, 2023
Acidosis:

Beyond getting jobs, the grading system also helps them mentally.

The second class thing sounds like "slavery". Imagine someone saying that you're a second class citizen and you carry that certificate (mentality) everywhere you go.

Then imagine defining a 3.49 CGPA as "second class" "LOWER". The degree will mess with your mentality at some point. Is it even fair? 3.49/5.00 is 69%. So a man who scores a cumulative 69% at the end of a four year programme is a second class lower citizen of the university? Pathetic!
I feel borderline CGPA like 4.49,3.49,2.49 e.t.c. should be adjusted to the next class of degree.

It's really crazy graduating with this kind of CGPA.
Re: Indian Vs Nigerian University Grading System by samuelpeters(m): 7:17am On Aug 05, 2023
MrsTwrite:

I don't entirely support the idea that employers are afraid of graduates that know their onion.

Having a good result is one thing. Knowing the field and what it's all about is another thing.
Re: Indian Vs Nigerian University Grading System by wentroublecomes: 9:28am On Aug 05, 2023
During my HND at the fed polytechnic Ado, they use a scale of 4.00
75-100 = 4.00
70-74 = 3.5
65 - 69 = 3.25
60 - 64 = 3.00
55 - 59 = 2.75
50 - 54 = 2.50
45 - 49 = 2.25
40 - 44 = 2.00
00 - 39 = Fail

3.5 - 4.00 = Distinction
3.00 - 3.49 = Upper Credit
2.50 - 2.99 = Lower Credit
2.00 - 2.49 = Pass
Less than 2.00 = Fail
Re: Indian Vs Nigerian University Grading System by christejames(m): 9:45am On Aug 05, 2023
Interesting, we learn everyday!
Re: Indian Vs Nigerian University Grading System by Ay04z(m): 11:01am On Aug 05, 2023
bigadler:

The post is for those who passed through a university, so just focus on your NIN printing business. ✌🏾
lol. Certificate dey anyway u fit d. M make i snap for u for whatsapps..... Playing in my wardrobe grin
Re: Indian Vs Nigerian University Grading System by Nobody: 11:09am On Aug 05, 2023
Ay04z:
lol. Certificate dey anyway u fit d. M make i snap for u for whatsapps..... Playing in my wardrobe grin

Ok. Keep your WAEC and OND certificates. Nobody is interested. This isn't a post for funny exchanges, it's not everything you play with.

(1) (Reply)

Supllementary List For The University Of Ibadan And Resumption Date / Yabatech Post Ume Result Is Out: / If You Want To Be Rich And Happy, Don't Go To School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.