Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,959 members, 7,817,817 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:19 PM

Starting My Alx Journey - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Starting My Alx Journey (494 Views)

My ALX Data Science & Data Analytics Journey / I Just Quit ALX Programme / My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting My Alx Journey by sanmisamuel: 9:55am On Aug 05, 2023
Introduction

My name is Sanmi, and I just finished the third month of my software engineering program at ALX School. I manage a small business that helps people renew their car documents from the comfort of their homes. I started my business with WordPress and used plugins to offer different services, but I quickly realized that I needed more control. I wanted to build my business the way I wanted to, so I began learning to code.

What I've Learned About the Program

Alx is not your typical four-year college program. It's a fast-paced, demanding program that requires you to understand concepts and solve problems in a short amount of time. You're expected to work for at least seven hours a day, and you'll need to be self-motivated and disciplined in order to succeed.

One of the most important things I've learned in the program is the importance of mindset. You need to be determined and willing to work hard if you want to succeed. You also need to be open to feedback and be willing to learn from your mistakes.

Another important thing I've learned is the importance of community. The Alx community is very supportive, and there are always people willing to help you if you're stuck. I've found that joining peer learning groups and reaching out to mentors have been invaluable resources.

Asking for Help

One of the best things you can do in the Alx program is to ask for help when you need it. There are many resources available to you, so don't be afraid to reach out. I've found that Stack Overflow has been a great resource for finding answers to my questions.

Conclusion

Alx is a challenging program, but it's also very rewarding. If you're willing to put in the work, you can learn a lot and build a strong foundation in software engineering. I'm excited to continue my journey in the program, and I know that I'll be a better software engineer because of it.

Additional Thoughts

In addition to the things I've already mentioned, here are a few other thoughts I have about the Alx program:

It's a great way to learn the fundamentals of software engineering.
It's a challenging program, but it's also very rewarding.
The community is very supportive.
There are a lot of resources available to you.
If you're interested in learning software engineering, I highly recommend the Alx program. It's a great way to get started in the field and build a strong foundation in the fundamentals.

Thank you for reading!
Re: Starting My Alx Journey by Maxxim: 10:42am On Aug 05, 2023
Alx ain't free anymore, $300 for starters
Re: Starting My Alx Journey by Godfullsam(m): 7:24pm On Aug 05, 2023
Few questions pls

What is the cost? Someone just said it cost 300$, how true is it?

What computer spec is good for learning software engineering conveniently?

I just purchased a fairly used HP Elitebook laptop. 8gig ram, 6th generation, 256SSD, coore15 less than 1 gig dedicated graphic with 12.5 screen size. Am I good to go?

Is the program flexible for someone doing 9am - 5pm job?
Re: Starting My Alx Journey by Edipet(m): 10:24pm On Aug 05, 2023
Maxxim:
Alx ain't free anymore, $300 for starters
wow? Do you mean it?
Re: Starting My Alx Journey by Maxxim: 10:52pm On Aug 05, 2023
Edipet:
wow? Do you mean it?
I'm serious boss
Re: Starting My Alx Journey by sanmisamuel: 9:20am On Aug 06, 2023
Godfullsam:

What is the cost? Someone just said it cost 300$, how true is it?
i just noticed the cost is now $400 admin fee(for entry).

thats on the high side for an average nigerian. i recommended it because of the program is actually better than a lot of this other bootcamps.
I've spent 3 months with them and i appreciate the program a lot.

Godfullsam:

What computer spec is good for learning software engineering conveniently?
i can't actually recommend a spec. i've seen people run the program with just there phones(although it's not recommended)
but getting a laptop with good battery and can run a linux os would help you. an average laptop would do the work.

Godfullsam:

I just purchased a fairly used HP Elitebook laptop. 8gig ram, 6th generation, 256SSD, coore15 less than 1 gig dedicated graphic with 12.5 screen size. Am I good to go?
Perfect.

Godfullsam:

Is the program flexible for someone doing 9am - 5pm job?
it is very demanding. my first attempt at the program. i couldn't keep up.
Task where dropping practically everyday. The pressure is also much. when you see people completing task you're struggling with.

if your job is demanding. you may find it hard. as you may be tired at the end of the day. the task need a lot of focus for beginnners.
Re: Starting My Alx Journey by Nteogwuija(m): 8:56pm On Aug 06, 2023
Hi guys, I'm looking for some accountability partners and study buddy(ies). I just picked up Python and would want to learn together with someone or a group so we can keep each other motivated.

My WhatsApp is 070 three 8 zero 2 three eight zero 9.

Looking for to our success together.
Re: Starting My Alx Journey by sanmisamuel: 11:31am On Aug 07, 2023
Nteogwuija:
Hi guys, I'm looking for some accountability partners and study buddy(ies). I just picked up Python and would want to learn together with someone or a group so we can keep each other motivated.

My WhatsApp is 070 three 8 zero 2 three eight zero 9.

Looking for to our success together.

https://chat .whatsapp .com/Bg7tFWIag9L2D79CGdQAoX
you can find people here, they are currently in the alx program and the current language they are learning is python.
Re: Starting My Alx Journey by Nteogwuija(m): 3:06pm On Aug 07, 2023
sanmisamuel:

https://chat .whatsapp .com/Bg7tFWIag9L2D79CGdQAoX
you can find people here, they are currently in the alx program and the current language they are learning is python.

Thanks alot

(1) (Reply)

Remita Api Integration With Django / Are You Looking For Ios App Development Company ? / Win On Upwork As A Freelancer...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.