Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,250 members, 7,825,979 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? (48776 Views)

At What Age Should An Adult Leave Their Parents’ House? / Photos Of 6 Girls Who Lost Their Parents Under 1 Year / Brother & Sister Recreate Childhood Photos For Their Parents’ 30th Anniversary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by AreaFada2: 4:48pm On Aug 07, 2023
SamWales:
Hey guys, I've been wondering, why is it that most people don't renovate their house in the village till their old parents are dead?

Is not like they don't have the money to do this, but they will rather wait till the old parents drop dead. Immediately, they will start rebuilding the house trying to complete a 1 month construction project in just 1 week before performing the burial.

Is it that the old parents doesn't merit a good house? Apart from impressing the guests that will attend the burial, do you know of any other reason why people do this?
What is your opinion?

Good question. I always made sure village house was impeccable, at least in the years before dad's demise as I visited more often and could see first hand any deterioration. When he passed on, we literally didn't paint a single wall. Only a couple of light sockets needed fixing. Thank God dad always looked after village house well, I only kept it that way as he got much older.

Parents should have the same comfort they have in the city whenever they go to the village.

Having to be doing massive renovation after death is very strange to me. Why not do so earlier if you can afford it? shocked shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by AutoManual: 4:49pm On Aug 07, 2023
Nigeria is a poor country. Those big perty you are seeing is not as a result of wealth. But loans as they believe its one day thing. You don’t expect them to burial the dead like rat. Even people will curse them. So they go out of there way to do it and that one of the bad culture we have.

Its not only the dead. If the president of the country or your pastor is to pay you visit. Believe me you will go out of ur way ti fix your house in order to look good and entertaining . That’s simple

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by bassdow: 4:50pm On Aug 07, 2023
easzypeaszy:
You kw say Igbo no get sense grin grin grin grin
... don't want to say anything about those who would sell their parents House together with the GRAVE join
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by juman(m): 4:57pm On Aug 07, 2023
Many borrowed money to do that.
I remember that the villagers gave tuface that condition before he could go home to bury his father.
No completed house, no burial.
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Benrosaria(m): 5:00pm On Aug 07, 2023
Mentality that has transcended from heartless souls
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Obascoetubi: 5:01pm On Aug 07, 2023
Bideni:
Please if anybody can help me with any little amount to eat I will be very happy. Feeding is a big problem for me and my family please no matter how small. I havent eaten anything since yesterday in the morning pls. My dad is a retired teacher and my mom is late. Am a single mother with my own son mouth to feed, the little money i make have use it to cater for my dad illness and pay house rent but his health is getting worst. Now we can't even eat or buy water to drink. Please if you're reading this message pls come to our aid, no matter how small it will go a long way pls. May God meet you at the point of your need as you have show us mercy
Acct num:
G.TBank Angela Oyom
U KEEP DROPPING LIES? WELL GO TO FATHER OF UR CHILD
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by juman(m): 5:02pm On Aug 07, 2023
Do not borrow money to bury your dead.

You dont need any validation from anybody.
Bury your dead in peace.
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by AnthonyAk(m): 5:07pm On Aug 07, 2023
Can’t Nigerian parents dislike then the dynamics have been reversed. Battling with my parents to allow me to renovate their house.

Worst case will just do my side but damn
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by dalass(f): 5:11pm On Aug 07, 2023
Nazgul:
In Igboland, parents are buried by their children in their house. So it would be disgraceful to the children of all the guests arrive and the house is looking like something that barely made it out the Biafran war. That's why they try to renovate it and upgrade the look.

Well, it's more disgraceful that such parents lived poorly in uncompleted or unbefitting houses, not enjoying as much as their dead bodies are now enjoying...

If na SW, God help those children if na those older priests come to do burial rites, he will lambast them, even those friends they're trying to impress will carch shame for them.

Lesson. Let parents enjoy you while they are still alive oh
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Dagenius53: 5:20pm On Aug 07, 2023
Only in the east I guess, and I'm sure you are from the east.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Psoul(m): 5:27pm On Aug 07, 2023
SamWales:
Hey guys, I've been wondering, why is it that most people don't renovate their house in the village till their old parents are dead?

Is not like they don't have the money to do this, but they will rather wait till the old parents drop dead. Immediately, they will start rebuilding the house trying to complete a 1 month construction project in just 1 week before performing the burial.

Is it that the old parents doesn't merit a good house? Apart from impressing the guests that will attend the burial, do you know of any other reason why people do this?
What is your opinion?

Why do u do extra cleaning in your house when you're expecting visitors?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by BirtherOfKings(f): 5:27pm On Aug 07, 2023
Thanks for this topic
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by kestolove95(m): 5:32pm On Aug 07, 2023
It's iyamiri people that does that

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by InvertedHammer: 5:38pm On Aug 07, 2023
SamWales:

What is your opinion?
/
Not as bad as those who start digging foundation and building a befitting house to match their status before fixing the burial date of their parents. After the ceremony, the house remains mostly on lock. Ridiculous!

It gets worse. Some pay millions to Apams for funeral rites of their parents that died in poverty. cool

/

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by OyinO: 5:55pm On Aug 07, 2023
Wickedness, foolishness and vanity.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Mom007(f): 6:28pm On Aug 07, 2023
blaquemyc:
But it's not disgraceful for their parents to live in a house looking like something that barely made it out of the Biafran war until their death right?
You talk like a child. Old people are like children. They need and love familiar things around them. Things they are used to. By the time they are old, they rely mostly on other senses to move around as their eyesight has failed or is failing already. Even if you come and change their old house to an ultra modern structure, one, they will not see it. Two, they cannot appreciate it. Three, its a hazard to them as the new unfamiliar surrounding is different from what they are used to and can make them depressed and accident prone. Don't use your old parents to do experiment op unless you want to hasten their journey to the grave. There are other ways you can make their last few years on earth comfortable. Visit them more often. Give them quality time with their grandchildren, not once in 3yrs visit. Make time to take them for medical checks regularly and make sure they get nutritious age appropriate foods. They will appreciate these more than all this you are saying.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Tunde835(m): 6:29pm On Aug 07, 2023
Nazgul:

Why are you directing your anger towards me, did I tell you that my parents are living in an uncompleted building and I'm waiting for them to die before renovating it?

I only answered the question that was asked, cos it's common with most average and below average Igbos.

And would you blame them, most of them are struggling to cater for their families in the city, so renovating a property they might not visit for years might be a waste of resources to the considering how the economy is.

If you want to singlehandedly renovate your parents house, no one is stopping you. But passing judgement on others for not doing so without knowing if they can afford to do it is very wrong. Besides as a parent, it's myopic for your retirement plan to be your children. Cos they too might have their own responsibilities that's weighing them down.
I thought all Igbos were rich na grin
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by MrJames007: 6:34pm On Aug 07, 2023
Nazgul:

Why are you directing your anger towards me, did I tell you that my parents are living in an uncompleted building and I'm waiting for them to die before renovating it?

I only answered the question that was asked, cos it's common with most average and below average Igbos.

And would you blame them, most of them are struggling to cater for their families in the city, so renovating a property they might not visit for years might be a waste of resources to the considering how the economy is.

If you want to singlehandedly renovate your parents house, no one is stopping you. But passing judgement on others for not doing so without knowing if they can afford to do it is very wrong. Besides as a parent, it's myopic for your retirement plan to be your children. Cos they too might have their own responsibilities that's weighing them down.
lol

grin
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by bunnae(f): 6:35pm On Aug 07, 2023
Nazgul:
In Igboland, parents are buried by their children in their house. So it would be disgraceful to the children of all the guests arrive and the house is looking like something that barely made it out the Biafran war. That's why they try to renovate it and upgrade the look.
But their parents nor deserve to live in the good house before death abi. Expensive clout chasing from them
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by colizee(m): 6:41pm On Aug 07, 2023
You no go understand.
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by blaquemyc: 7:01pm On Aug 07, 2023
Mom007:

You talk like a child. Old people are like children. They need and love familiar things around them. Things they are used to. By the time they are old, they rely mostly on other senses to move around as their eyesight has failed or is failing already. Even if you come and change their old house to an ultra modern structure, one, they will not see it. Two, they cannot appreciate it. Three, its a hazard to them as the new unfamiliar surrounding is different from what they are used to and can make them depressed and accident prone. Don't use your old parents to do experiment op unless you want to hasten their journey to the grave. There are other ways you can make their last few years on earth comfortable. Visit them more often. Give them quality time with their grandchildren, not once in 3yrs visit. Make time to take them for medical checks regularly and make sure they get nutritious age appropriate foods. They will appreciate these more than all this you are saying.
If you cannot be proud or comfortable in the kinda house your parents live in, then there's a probability you are not taking care of them.
Leave thrash for lawma biko
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by toyorlee: 7:33pm On Aug 07, 2023
It’s happening in my apartment now
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by vicfajeze: 7:34pm On Aug 07, 2023
Dats d norm in yorubaland
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Pardubice: 7:42pm On Aug 07, 2023
blaquemyc:
But it's not disgraceful for their parents to live in a house looking like something that barely made it out of the Biafran war until their death right?
Ask them oooo.
Evidence of fake lifestyle..

U can't renovate it when ur parents are alive for them to enjoy but,when they are gone abi?
U want to impress the visitors?
Fake you
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Shikena(m): 8:04pm On Aug 07, 2023
Let's not generalize. It is true some people are guilty of this but there are other cases too:

1. Parents who vigorously oppose any renovation while alive for various reasons best known to them. You know those disciplinarian retired teachers, and those that are scared of their own shadows thinking village people would kill their children.

2. Parents who were never responsible. They got their retirement packages but squandered it. They got money for home renovation, they squandered it. They violently rebuff any renovation attempt that does not have them as project manager in charge of funds & decisions.

Irresponsible youths will become irresponsible old men. Make amends now before it is too late.
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by ShedrachU(m): 8:22pm On Aug 07, 2023
The AfganEastern's culture grin
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by seniorkachion(m): 8:50pm On Aug 07, 2023
blaquemyc:

How are you going to renovate it with them living in the house? Will you tell them to go and take shelter somewhere while you do the renovations? Most renovations in Igbo land involves complete re roofing, re designing the front veranda with modern pillars etc.
Rarely will you see see renovations involving painting the house only.
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Patode: 9:12pm On Aug 07, 2023
" Let us encourage befitting living, instead of befitting burial".
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by tunjijones(m): 9:13pm On Aug 07, 2023
SamWales:

What is your opinion?

This is done mostly in the east
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by Mom007(f): 9:16pm On Aug 07, 2023
blaquemyc:
If you cannot be proud or comfortable in the kinda house your parents live in, then there's a probability you are not taking care of them.
Leave thrash for lawma biko
Its 'I too know' that is doing you Mr man. We know your type very well. You attack everyone that has anything contrary to what you want to hear but I maintain my point, while i am by no means advocating that ones parents should be left to rot in squalor in a village somewhere,there is more to quality of life than fancy houses.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by phemmyfour: 9:51pm On Aug 07, 2023
SamWales:

What is your opinion?
They have no affiliation with the village. It's difficult to invest in a place where you don't feel connected to
Re: Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? by netmillionaires(m): 10:08pm On Aug 07, 2023
Taking care of people is an everyday thing while burial is a one time event. If you send money to some parents, they will spend it anyhow not minding how you got the money. Nobody wants to borrow money to send to their parents when they know that the money will not be well managed. But when it is burial, they won't mind borrowing the money since they will do it just once.

For example, a dad I know don't think about building his own house. Instead he spend it on his own brothers and sisters family. If you send him 100k for the month, he should think about saving part of the money towards acquiring a land and building his house. He will instead prefer to spend it on people who are already building theirs or have built their and and then hope on his children to build him one. When the money is exhausted, he will call his own children to send more thinking the children are minting money in their house.

I have a friend that when I give him 50k, he can exhaust it in 5 days while I sometimes manage that for 3 weeks. When he is done spending the money, he will call again to complain that he is broke. These frienda use how easy you doled out the money to measure your pocket. They believe if they as for 5k and you give them 20k instead, then your pocket must be deep. So they continue to ask for more until you start to avoid them. While you only gave them more than they ask for because you want them to have enough to live on for a while.

I learnt one thing in the process. When people ask me for money, I will delay for a while and promise to give them a week later even when I have hundred times the money they seek unless it is an emergency. When the due date come,I will tell them to give me two more days because I wasn't able to get the money I was expecting and then give them the money few days later. That way, they will believe I struggled to get the money and not spend it anyhow because they are not sure when I will be buoyant enough to give them again.

inoki247:
Lol na wen people die People dey get more value now if you call someone now that you've not eaten for 1yr everybody will say they're broke die first they will be the one to contribute money for your Burial Buy Cow still buy cloth....

In this part of the world we prefer spending Money when people die than spending it on them when they're still alive.....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Delta Man Cries Out For Help Over Wife Allegedly Assaulting Him Repeatedly / She Forgive Her Rapist But Cannot Forgive Her Husband. / Ebhohimen Innocent Lists His 2018 Achievements, To Inspire Others (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.