Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,989 members, 7,810,756 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:43 PM

I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie (22527 Views)

US Ambassador, Stuart, Speaks On Nigerian Elections 2019 / "Those Behind June 12 Annulment Angry With Buhari" - Garba Shehu / Man Who Participated In June 12 Annulment Protest Now Limps (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by peekspot(m): 10:56am On Aug 08, 2023
Pete Edochie says he gave up on Nigerian elections after the annulment of the June 12 1993 polls.

The actor, in an interview, said he has no lust for partaking in political discussions because they give him no hope.

He told Chude Jideonwo, the media entrepreneur, that the annulled poll is the only credible one Nigeria has had.

Nigeria held a presidential election on June 12, 1993, the first since the 1983 coup ended the second republic.

The election was the outcome of a transition to civilian rule spearheaded by the military ruler Ibrahim Babangida.

The unofficial result of the election, although it wasn’t declared, indicated a victory for Moshood Abiola of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) who defeated Bashir Tofa of the National Republican Convention (NRC).

But the winner was never announced as the election was annulled by Babangida who cited electoral irregularities.

The annulment led to protests, political unrest, Bababagida’s resignation, the emergence of a weak interim civilian government, and the ultimate continuation of military rule in the country with Sani Abacha as the head of state.

Edochie said the annulled 1993 poll never saw electoral irregularities as Babangida’s government had suggested.

That election was the freest and the best election we have had in this country. I am 76, so, if I’m not saying it with fear of contradiction, I am saying it with plenty of authority and with plenty of conviction,” the veteran actors said.

You didn’t see people snatching ballot boxes, creating problems, shooting around and scaring people. That election was cancelled, and I lost hope. Ever since, we have never had a free and fair election.”

The actor likened the annulled 1993 polls to that of 2023 which saw Bola Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress (APC) defeat the populist Peter Obi of the Labour Party (LP), which is still in court, to be elected as the president.

“A lot of people say that history repeats itself because we learn nothing from history itself. History offers us a lot of lessons, but we prefer to ignore those lessons and keep repeating our mistakes,” Edochie added.

“Each time we have an election, there’s always chaos, consequent upon it, because somehow there is this element of criminal ingenuity in our constitution. We want to find a quick fix for something which is not necessarily right.

“You find old politicians (septuagenarian, octogenarian politicians), who have little, or nothing left to offer the country. But they want to remain there till infinity. That’s not in the interest of the country.

“The youths of this country have been insulted. Their sensitivity is brutalized. Their aspirations asphyxiated. 2023 comes and what do you see? You have to pay a hundred million to purchase a declaration of intent form.

“How many youngsters are going to come out and do that just so they can take part in politics? Again, it is the hand of the octogenarian political journeyman that we see in play and that’s not very good.”

https://lifestyle.thecable.ng/pete-edochie-i-gave-up-on-nigerian-elections-after-june-12-annulment/

73 Likes 13 Shares

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by immortalcrown(m): 10:57am On Aug 08, 2023
I laugh in Spanish.

You gave up on Nigerian elections but you still believe Nigeria is redeemable. Whoever gave up on Nigerian elections is expected to give up on Nigeria itself.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by LagosFirstSon: 11:00am On Aug 08, 2023
MKO abiola couldn't become president because of the curse that late chief obafemi awolowo cursed him for betraying him..

39 Likes 9 Shares

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by Alchemy528: 11:13am On Aug 08, 2023
The young shall grow but the old are still ruling

Contact me for your academic assignment thesis,power point presentation, proposal, article, available for any field of writing using Turnitin provide quality works just WhatsApp me below

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by article1: 11:34am On Aug 08, 2023
LagosFirstSon:
MKO abiola couldn't become president because of the curse that late chief obafemi awolowo cursed him for betraying him..
And what was the curse; what was the nature of offence he committed sir?

66 Likes 10 Shares

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by T9ksy(m): 12:58pm On Aug 08, 2023
peekspot:

The unofficial result of the election, although it wasn’t declared, indicated a victory for Moshood Abiola of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) who defeated Bashir Tofa of the National Republican Convention (NRC).

But the winner was never announced as the election was annulled by Babangida who cited electoral irregularities.

The annulment led to protests, political unrest, Bababagida’s resignation, the emergence of a weak interim civilian government, and the ultimate continuation of military rule in the country with Sani Abacha as the head of state.

Edochie said the annulled 1993 poll never saw electoral irregularities as Babangida’s government had suggested.

“That election was the freest and the best election we have had in this country. I am 76, so, if I’m not saying it with fear of contradiction, I am saying it with plenty of authority and with plenty of conviction,” the veteran actors said.

Exactly! That was why I advised my people not to bother themselves in their sham election. I have NEVER voted in Nigeria' S/election Processes 'cause I can smell the coffee ☕!

By voting, you are just validating their selection process but obidients thought, this time it will be different. Oh well, shebi you are awaiting their court decision. Una go wait, tire.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by LegendHero(m): 1:10pm On Aug 08, 2023
Lol 😂 this old man and lies.

You gave up on election since 1993 but yet you endorsed and voted Peter Obi in the last election.

When they lose, they come out to start lying. Even in the said 1993, this man would have voted Tofa but he is here doing like he like Abiola.

Update!!! To the people disturbing my mention about what I said, hear this one. Pete Edochie is a classless liar and a confused old man. He will soon start crying about lost mandate like his lunatic brother Peter Obi. Keep the tears coming.

117 Likes 15 Shares

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 2:46pm On Aug 08, 2023
LagosFirstSon:

Any evidence to this your claim?

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by gidgiddy: 2:55pm On Aug 08, 2023
Funny, I have never seen a Yoruba man curse Babangida for annulling the 1993 elections

I have never seen a Yoruba man curse Abacha for arresting and detaining Abiola to the point of death

Had either Babangida or Abacha been Igbo, we no for hear word from then till now and forever

124 Likes 13 Shares

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by Stillkrug: 3:01pm On Aug 08, 2023
gidgiddy:
Funny, I have never seen a Yoruba man curse Babangida for annulling the 1993 elections

I have never seen a Yoruba man curse Abacha for arresting and detaining Abiola

Had either Babangida or Abacha been Igbo, we no for hear word since then till now
they are slaves to thier master have you ever see a slave cursing his master

104 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by clearcrystal: 3:03pm On Aug 08, 2023
Mr Edochie, we gave up on your after your son chase out his legal wife and elope with his concubine under your watch.

3 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by FairlyUSEDpussy: 3:08pm On Aug 08, 2023
gidgiddy:

Had either Babangida or Abacha been Igbo, we no for hear word since then till now

Mumu.......
Yorubas r too enlightened to know curses don't work...........u dat has been laying curses all yo life to what effect is that to u........ aarindin

53 Likes 11 Shares

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by KwuoteYourFada: 3:10pm On Aug 08, 2023
FairlyUSEDpussy:

Mumu.......
Yorubas r too enlightened to know curses don't work...........u dat has been laying curses all yo life to what effect is that to u........ aarindin
this one don dey change goal post grin
You clowns even started attacking Igbos 93

Hateful and slanderous people

75 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by T9ksy(m): 5:13pm On Aug 08, 2023
KwuoteYourFada:
this one don dey change goal post grin
You clowns even started attacking Igbos 93

Hateful and slanderous people

No one attacked ibos in 1993. Get your fact, right. Rather, you cowards thought there's going to be a war between yoruba and the north, so you japa back to Enugu before you become collateral damages.

32 Likes 10 Shares

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by KwuoteYourFada: 5:14pm On Aug 08, 2023
T9ksy:

No one attacked ibos in 1993. Get your fact, right. Rather, you cowards thought there's going to be a war between yoruba and the north, so you japa back to Enugu before you become collateral damages.

Stfu
How old were you then? This one don go check google

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by T9ksy(m): 5:21pm On Aug 08, 2023
Stillkrug:

Yeah? And you igbos are free-born in Nigeria? How many years now, since you have been fighting and dying for your d.u.mb Biafra?

How market?

29 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by T9ksy(m): 5:25pm On Aug 08, 2023
KwuoteYourFada:

Stfu
How old were you then? This one don go check google

What's my age got to do with truth? I know you guys are genetically allergic to fact instead you relish falsehoods.

Did you fathers, uncles, brothers ati bebelo not japa from yorubaland in 1993, after the annulment? Yes or No?

25 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by KwuoteYourFada: 5:29pm On Aug 08, 2023
T9ksy:

What's my age got to do with truth? I know you guys are genetically allergic to fact instead you relish falsehoods.

Did you fathers, uncles, brothers ati bebelo not japa from yorubaland in 1993, after the annulment? Yes or No?

They left after you started attacking them .

Your stupid coward uncles left Babangida that arested abiola and started being hostile to Igbos

Las Las mko still die like chicken 🐔

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by nkemoma(m): 5:45pm On Aug 08, 2023
Ronu people will call him a wailer too.

Ndi ara

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by NaughtyBrainiac: 5:45pm On Aug 08, 2023
Okay

1 Like

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by updatechange(m): 5:46pm On Aug 08, 2023
Hmm
Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by saphiere(f): 5:46pm On Aug 08, 2023
Dear Nairalander moderators stop bringing rubbish to front page.
An ediot made a thread to ridicule women and tell them how worthless they are and you brought it to front page?
What a stupid advice he gave to women.

5 Likes

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by Nobody: 5:46pm On Aug 08, 2023
No giving up
Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by raskymonojendor: 5:46pm On Aug 08, 2023
One of my favourite actors since the days of things fall apart.

But your people are very hateful sha, and like a curse, thats why IPOB are busy killing their fellow ibos in the SE. Law of Karma.

Stillkrug:
they are slaves to thier master. have you ever see a slave cursing his master

Ibos Talking about slaves is mehhh. Look at my 2nd picture. Look at your Eze and red cap chiefs sitting down on the floor infront of their Hausa owners.

21 Likes 9 Shares

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by Stevenson20: 5:46pm On Aug 08, 2023
I gave up after Manhood did his abracadabra with the help of Buhari the con man

If you have any means to japa, don't even think about having double mind, just do it.
Nigeria is irredeemable; youths are the problem, not the leaders

1 Like

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by SAMBARRY: 5:46pm On Aug 08, 2023
Hmnnnn
Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by Ategberoson(m): 5:47pm On Aug 08, 2023
gidgiddy:

Babangida's annulment, Abiola played in the hands of military gang, Abiola should have traveled abroad and be using rugged people as proxy on protest then against the junta, how can a civilian who have no securities power fight military men?

now compare it to your kinsmen killed Yoruba leaders and didn't touched theirs?

think about it

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by Meti99(m): 5:47pm On Aug 08, 2023
Some people don't have power but they know how to use it, some others have power but don't know how to use it..
Tinubu has power but don't know what to do with it..

We northerners are counting down for power to come back to us because we know exactly what to use it for and how to use it.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by Wisereborn: 5:47pm On Aug 08, 2023
Where are those that said Igbos never voted MKO Abiola

They kept changing statistics just to create division for their own selfish gains

Years later, we can see those that genuinely and are still mourning the injustice meted to him undecided

Rest on MKO!!!

6 Likes

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by Guyman01: 5:47pm On Aug 08, 2023
And we want to give democracy to Niger when we have been having civilian coup called elections that brings no hope to our citizens.
All the national conferences organised for us to define how we want to live in Nigeria by competent elder statemen were dumped under the carpet from Obasanjo to Jonathan who handed over what he refused to implement to Buhari who refused to look at the document for 8 years.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by Xwizard: 5:48pm On Aug 08, 2023
Well I gave up 2015

*Clean Nigerian Used Red Toyota Camry 2007.*

Repainted.
Fabric interior.
Sound 4plug engine.
Ac working fine.
In a good working condition.

*Price - 3.1m Last.*
*Location - Ketu, Lagos.*
Re: I Gave Up On Nigerian Elections After June 12 Annulment - Pete Edochie by Ategberoson(m): 5:48pm On Aug 08, 2023
Stillkrug:

just as you fools are slaves to simon ekpa or how do we explained obeying order of someone thousands kilometers away from East on compulsory sit at home against you forest monkeys will?

17 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2015: PDP Welcomes Buhari, Urges Him To Engage In Issue- Based Campaign / Buhari: Nigeria Needs Loans For Roads, Rail, Power / Oshiomhole Replies Jonathan Over Flight Delay.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.