Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,828 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:07 PM

We've Been Married For Years. How Do We Get A Marriage Certificate - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / We've Been Married For Years. How Do We Get A Marriage Certificate (480 Views)

Couple, Both Aged 100, Married For 79 years, Die Hours Apart (Photos) / Blind Couple Who Have Been Married For 40 Years Tell Their Love Story / Couple Who Have Been Married For 65 Years Share A Kiss In Beautiful Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We've Been Married For Years. How Do We Get A Marriage Certificate by DivergentThinka(m): 3:33pm On Aug 08, 2023
Hello everyone. My spouse and I have been married for years, but we only did it traditionally and in the church .

Does anyone please know how we can obtain a marriage certificate(legally) without actually going through the process of a court wedding ?
We would be needing it for international passport .

Thanks, I would really appreciate your responses.
Re: We've Been Married For Years. How Do We Get A Marriage Certificate by Nbote(m): 3:37pm On Aug 08, 2023
DivergentThinka:
Hello everyone. My spouse and I have been married for years, but we only did it traditionally and in the church .

Does anyone please know how we can obtain a marriage certificate(legally) without actually going through the process of a court wedding ?

Thanks, I would really appreciate your responses.
Here is a link to the Ministry of Interior's website on how to go about it.

https://ecitibiz.interior.gov.ng/marriage/requirements
Re: We've Been Married For Years. How Do We Get A Marriage Certificate by DivergentThinka(m): 3:50pm On Aug 08, 2023
Nbote:

Here is a link to the Ministry of Interior's website on how to go about it.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. I have gone through the site before, but some things are not clear .

The goal is to obtain the certificate, or some sort of certification without having to go through the process of doing the "court wedding" .

Am I correct to assume that on the website, this is what's called "ATTESTATION OF MARITAL STATUS" .

If it is, do you have any idea what documents would be given ? . A certificate ?

Thank you again .
Re: We've Been Married For Years. How Do We Get A Marriage Certificate by Okikiola914(m): 7:51pm On Aug 08, 2023
You will still have to go to court. You can't have original marriage certificate without court. Go there and explain to them. It can be at least 4 ppl that will attend the court. U, ur spouse and 2 other ppl to sign for you. I did the same thing. No paparazzi, no dancing, no snapping. Just sign and collect the certificate. We spent less than 10 minutes.

1 Like

Re: We've Been Married For Years. How Do We Get A Marriage Certificate by DivergentThinka(m): 9:17pm On Aug 08, 2023
Okikiola914:
You will still have to go to court. You can't have original marriage certificate without court. Go there and explain to them. It can be at least 4 ppl that will attend the court. U, ur spouse and 2 other ppl to sign for you. I did the same thing. No paparazzi, no dancing, no snapping. Just sign and collect the certificate. We spent less than 10 minutes.

Thank you for your honest feedback .

I am just curious if there is any form of other document I can use to represent evidence of marriage, for international passport, its kind of urgent . If I have to go the marriage court route, the entire process would take at least a month.

I know this section of Nairaland, is filled with married people. I am confident this issue isn't peculiar to me, someone here might have had this issue and solved it . I would really appreciate if anyone who has faced something similar can recommend the best approach, especially with the urgency.
Re: We've Been Married For Years. How Do We Get A Marriage Certificate by Kobojunkie: 1:45am On Aug 09, 2023
DivergentThinka:
Hello everyone. My spouse and I have been married for years, but we only did it traditionally and in the church.
Thanks, I would really appreciate your responses
If your marriage was never registered before now then it is as though you were never married to begin with. undecided
Re: We've Been Married For Years. How Do We Get A Marriage Certificate by candyguyofficia(m): 6:00am On Aug 09, 2023
Kobojunkie:
If your marriage was never registered before now then it is as though you were never married to begin with. undecided

Don't confidently talk about what you don't know about. Customary Law marriage is a valid form of marriage.

1 Like

Re: We've Been Married For Years. How Do We Get A Marriage Certificate by Kobojunkie: 6:04am On Aug 09, 2023
candyguyofficia:
■ Don't confidently talk about what you don't know about. Customary Law marriage is a valid form of marriage.
Well, what OP has is customary marriage agreement and is now looking for something more official. Go argue your claims with him instead. undecided

(1) (Reply)

My Landlord’s Dog Won’t Let Me Sleep In Peace!!!! / Get These Items At Giveaway Prices. / Matured Advice Needed Please ! Should I Give Her The Money Or Not

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.