Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,416 members, 7,815,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:33 PM

Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation (3368 Views)

War On Niger Republic Will Be War On Northern Nigeria - Usman Yusuf / Should East Dam River Niger / Northerners Begin Diversion Of Food Items To Niger And Cameroon. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by Alusiizizi(m): 2:17pm On Aug 09, 2023
ivolt:

Here is an article:
https://www.barrons.com/news/niger-speeds-up-efforts-to-build-first-hydroelectric-dam-01632497409

No, Nigeria is not in trouble.
This is not the 1950s, Kanji dam as at today provides about 20% of Nigeria's electricity,
a substantial part of which is already exported.

It will have an effect but not something we can't handle.

Last time I checked, Nigeria produces 3000MW of power, producing the epileptic power that we've grown so used to. Remove 20 percent from that figure and tell me again that we don't have a serious problem.
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by ivolt: 2:24pm On Aug 09, 2023
Alusiizizi:

Last time I checked, Nigeria produces 3000MW of power, producing the epileptic power that we've grown so used to. Remove 20 percent from that figure and tell me again that we don't have a serious problem.
Noper, the percentage is based on maximum output 5000MW.
Remember that the only thing that matters is critical sectors and businesses getting electricity, not residential homes
since we don't have winter over here.
Moreover, Niger dam will only reduce not eliminate Kanji.
Shiroro will also come on board.
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by Alusiizizi(m): 2:49pm On Aug 09, 2023
ivolt:

Noper, the percentage is based on maximum output 5000MW.
Remember that the only thing that matters is critical sectors and businesses getting electricity, not residential homes
since we don't have winter over here.

Definitely not true. Residential homes matter a lot, and if you look deeper, you will find that your classes of "businesses" depend heavily on these residential homes, and in many cases, they are inseparable. When residential homes don't get electricity, they go out to buy petrol for those pass-my-neighbors, an inherently inefficient system. Such a setup constitute waste, which moves to increase the price of things in general. Residential blackouts translate to reduced work-hours. I can go on and on here, the bottom line is that all sectors matter when it comes to steady electric power supply.

ivolt:

Moreover, Niger dam will only reduce not eliminate Kanji.

Yes, Niger dam will only reduce the Kainji output, but it will reduce up to a point that will affect the Nigeria economy in a fundamental way.

ivolt:

Shiroro will also come on board.

I am assuming that "Shiroro" is yet another Genco(a.k.a. White elephant) that will be built with some untold billions of Naira and end not producing anything worth talking about.
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by Perfectbeing(m): 3:24pm On Aug 09, 2023
Horus:

Niger military deployed their anti aircraft defence system and threatened to shoot down any aircraft entering Niger airspace.
Niger's military junta had sent out the NOTAM (Notice to Air Missions) that the country's airspace had closed, impact immediate.
Any attempts to fly over the country would be met with an “energetic and immediate response.”
Let lies nor kill you Obid!ots

Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by Horus(m): 4:10pm On Aug 09, 2023
Christistruth03:

Let them build it
Nigeria has ability to blow up any Niger Dam without even leaving Nigeria

By the Way Majority of the SW Rivers do not have their sources from the Niger

Kwara will be affected but Lokoja Area also has the River Benue

How will you blow up any Niger Dam without even leaving Nigeria?, By using Juju? grin

1 Like

Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by Horus(m): 4:20pm On Aug 09, 2023
Perfectbeing:
Let lies nor kill you

The Niger Army use the same exact anti aircraft defence system. This picture was simply for illustration purpose
Take a plane and try to enter Niger airspace to see what will happen to you grin
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by gebest: 4:20pm On Aug 09, 2023
If the river is dammed, that means Niger is in big trouble of flooding that was why they didn't dammed it in the first place.
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by Christistruth03: 4:33pm On Aug 09, 2023
Horus:

How will you blow up any Niger Dam without even leaving Nigeria?, By using Juju? grin

Nigerian has Aircraft Capable of Shooting Targets 300 Km away
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by JagabanB: 6:12pm On Aug 09, 2023
Alusiizizi:

It seems that you need some brush-up lessons in physics, specifically, the difference between potential/kinetic energy and their conservation. If that river is dammed in the Niger then the available energy in the Kainji dam is much more reduced, which means much lower electricity output, along with all the attendant economic issues.

Sounds like pork to me.

This has nothing to do with Obi or the Obidient movement for that matter but rather why a sitting president would breath "military intervention" out loud without being absolutely sure that he can sustain such.

Actually we are not hoping for Nigeria to fall. We are hoping for a Nigeria where presidential elections are not determined by "Ghana must go", Bullion vans or a plate of indomie and a crummy tee shirt.

We are hoping for a Nigeria where it is impossible for a single individual to override the will of millions of citizens, selecting his choice of candidate as president instead.

We are hoping for a Nigeria where competent leaders that truly care for the progress of Nigeria are elected and not for the selection of one whose only ambition is to loot the national treasury dry, right before selling the entire country to western actors.

So you see, we are in fact hoping for the same Nigeria that you are hoping for.

P.S. We are working harder, in fact we have worked so hard that even your champion international motor-mouth put himself in a fix with his "military intervention" in some deluded notion that such an intervention would cement his shaky position as president.
1. Maybe u should attend a class on real life happenings before u talk about physics.
River don't have only one dame across it, your shallow physics just faiIed.
Niger has been building a dam across the river for years now.
2. Tinubu spoke as ECOWAS head, but seems this is rocket science for Obi supporters and saying every means possible means every means possible including military interventions, if u are so fixated on military interventions, maybe u should attend a language class not physics class.
3. If u are hoping for a Nîgerià where single individual cañ't override millions then you shouldn't be having an election or a president.
4. If u want a leader with competent leaders who truly care for the progress of Nigeria are elected then u shouldn't be supporting Obi.
A governor who is competent and wants the progress of the country should first and foremost follow the constitution by electing the third tier of government and that tier should operate fully as stipulated by the constitution, under Obi, LG leadership was not even existing before we talk about their functions, no competent leadership erase the third tier of government.
Competent leaders who love the people provide clean tap water for his people, we didn't see it with Obi.
Competent leaders provide good schools with very affordable and cheap fees, the opposite is the case with Obi.
Competent leaders build good roads, something we didn't see with Obi.
Competent leaders provide very affordable world class health systems for the people with Obi, it was not so.
Competent leaders don't let doctors strike for over a year.
Most importantly, a competent leader who loves his people lives with the people he leads not run away after spending 8 years in office because u can't live in ur incompetent work.
Referring to Peter Obi as a competent is a grave insult on the word "competent" and an aggressive abuse of same word.
A leader who loves the progress of his people don't import goods in large quantities but rather invest heavily in production of goods and services among the people he claims he love, with Obi, opposite is the case.
PS: 2027 will come and we will boot Obi out again.
U cañ't lie ur way into governance, u lied ur way into governance in Anambra for 8 years, u can't lie ur way into the presidency, even when u want to lie, doñ't lie to us like we are compound f00Is.
Obi is complete opposite of his campaign manifesto yet religîóus and tribàI foIks are trying to sell the Iie to satisfy religîón and tribàI inclination and all of a sudden, dress Obi in a robe he didn't earn in the 8 years he govèrñed Nigèria.
You Obi boys are making a huge mistake, same way Buhari campaigned in 2015 is same way Obi is campaigning, for the case of Buhari, most of the voters couldn't look back on his 2 year military rule for comparison, as for Obi, we can easily look back on his 8 years as a coIIosaI in Anambra which is evident in his inability to live in Anambra.
Obi and his followers will keep talking about "shaky position" till another election will come.

1 Like

Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by Cromagnon: 7:29pm On Aug 09, 2023
ivolt:

Here is an article:
https://www.barrons.com/news/niger-speeds-up-efforts-to-build-first-hydroelectric-dam-01632497409

No, Nigeria is not in trouble.
This is not the 1950s, Kanji dam as at today provides about 20% of Nigeria's electricity,
a substantial part of which is already exported.

It will have an effect but not something we can't handle.
what about water table ish
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by Horus(m): 10:23pm On Aug 09, 2023
Christistruth03:

Nigerian has Aircraft Capable of Shooting Targets 300 Km away

And you naively believe that the Niger Army is not equipped with MAWS to detects all types of incoming missiles?
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by bhella10: 10:29pm On Aug 09, 2023
BLACKPRIEST:
The masquerade is yet to dance in the square. If things do not take a different turn, the real issues will play out after the dust is calm.

Firstly, BOLA Ahmed Tinubu took a thoughtless decision to cut electricity supply to Niger Republic, breaking the 1960 pact between the two countries. A forward thinking leadership will plan for the possibility of a retaliation from Niger Republic. But, it looks like the man is busy trying to make name for himself.

If the other country eventually decides to build a dam over the River Niger, it will have noticeable socio-economic impact on Nigeria.

Secondly, If Tinubu does not execute his treat of invasion, there will, undeniable, be a serious dent on his capacity, further diminishing the perceived image of Nigeria as the African giant. Also, this will also establish the narrative on the international scene that ECOWAS is a puppet of the west.
Go and dam it Ode!
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by Christistruth03: 11:25pm On Aug 09, 2023
Horus:

And you naively believe that the Niger Army is not equipped with MAWS to detects all types of incoming missiles?

So you think Niger has a.serious Air force
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by Horus(m): 12:17am On Aug 10, 2023
Christistruth03:

So you think Niger has a.serious Air force

If you think that Niger Military is not equipped why do you want to Shoot Targets from 300 Km away?. Instead, you should come very close
to the target if you believe that Niger Military do not have radar system to detects aircrafts, or any other objects entering their airspace
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by Perfectbeing(m): 7:35am On Aug 10, 2023
Horus:

The Niger Army use the same exact anti aircraft defence system. This picture was simply for illustration purpose
Take a plane and try to enter Niger airspace to see what will happen to you grin
Caught in the web of lies, e don change mouth.😂

You people will cheer Niger to extinction. Continue..
You're cheering a landlocked country to blockade their own country..😂
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by BLACKPRIEST: 12:21pm On Aug 10, 2023
ivolt:
Niger republic is already damning the river.
The project started in 2021!
Not everything you post without verification.

You're embarrassingly wrong about the highlighted. That date you're referring to is probably when Shehu Garba explained to Nigerians, through the media, the importance of that Nigeria-Niger electricity pact.

The Kandadji dam started in 2019 and is projected to end in 2026. The ousted president hasn't done much in this regard beyond visiting the project site; hence, It hasn't progressed.

Niger's civil government has, in the past, had meetings and discussions with a previous Nigeria minister of power on how to handle issues that concerning the project. I know about one of the meetings.

Because of Tinubu's carelessness, Niger's new government may not hold discussions. I'm concerned about the implications for us. I'm from a region of the country that'll likely be affected.

You're lucky I answered you.

Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by BLACKPRIEST: 12:28pm On Aug 10, 2023
Obiedun:
Where will she get the money to do it?

Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by ImperialYoruba: 12:31pm On Aug 10, 2023
BLACKPRIEST:
The masquerade is yet to dance in the square. If things do not take a different turn, the real issues will play out after the dust is calm.

Firstly, BOLA Ahmed Tinubu took a thoughtless decision to cut electricity supply to Niger Republic, breaking the 1960 pact between the two countries. A forward thinking leadership will plan for the possibility of a retaliation from Niger Republic. But, it looks like the man is busy trying to make name for himself.

If the other country eventually decides to build a dam over the River Niger, it will have noticeable socio-economic impact on Nigeria.

Secondly, If Tinubu does not execute his treat of invasion, there will, undeniable, be a serious dent on his capacity, further diminishing the perceived image of Nigeria as the African giant. Also, this will also establish the narrative on the international scene that ECOWAS is a puppet of the west.

MODIFIED: After reading comments, I'll reply a couple. I'll be very hard on the brain dead, caustic and uncouth individuals who chose to abandon civility in their comments, but I'll reply reasonable comments with urbanity.

For those like Stoplying who misunderstood the, I partly take responsibility for clarity, but I expect such persons to read and understand the context.

A useless and incoherent writeup.

Currently, beside the dam in Kainji, there is no dam on the upstream river. Dam is a very heavy infrastructure and the technology is outdated. If Niger wishes to build one it will need financing and manpower for such huge scale project. Because it is under sanctions, even if it wants to, Niger is currently incapacitated and disabled from using water flow to pivot against Nigerian interest.

Op has not done his home work before posting this fantasy out of his @ss
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by BLACKPRIEST: 12:48pm On Aug 10, 2023
Stoplying:

So according to your logic, if Nigeria doesn't fight against Niger Republic for the west, then Nigeria would be seen as a western puppet ? What type of mad man logic is this ?
And since when is Nigeria the "giant of Africa", what does that even mean ? And why in hell should we give a fvck ?
And you are suggesting we go and die for mere Ego? Tell the west to leave Niger Republic alone, they have broken free from slavery ! They will sell their uranium at market value from now on, and to the highest bidder.

You're the one who didn't understand me. Kindly reread the post. I do not support Bola's thoughtless decision. I also don't think Nigeria is gaint of Africa. It just perceived.

Many Nigerians, including me, sincerely desire the prosperity of Nigeria. It's disheartening the polical class are toying with the country and it's people.
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by BLACKPRIEST: 1:01pm On Aug 10, 2023
JagabanB:

U don't build a dam by making nóísé online, a river that's dammed at one point can still be dammed at another point.
Moreover Tinubu said they will explore every means possible to restore democracy to Niger even military interventions.
How u Obi supporters turned it to a wàr event every blessed day is baffling.
U are all hoping and praying that Nigèria faiIs terribly then come 2027 u will tell us u want Nigèria to prosper, let's vote ur governor that can't live in the state he govèrñed.
U guys need to work harder.

The highlighted is the only useful part of your comment.

Sincerely, no! I and, I believe, many other Nigerians do not desire that our country fails because we have children.

I'm truly praying that Tinubu succeeds.
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by BLACKPRIEST: 1:05pm On Aug 10, 2023
Justiceleague1:
Coneheaded structures will soon attack op and tag him Ipob grin

Thank you @justiceleague1.

You're so correct, and sincerely I'm not. I'm geographically and culturally far from the Igbos.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by Horus(m): 1:06pm On Aug 10, 2023
Perfectbeing:
Caught in the web of lies, e don change mouth.😂

You people will cheer Niger to extinction. Continue..
You're cheering a landlocked country to blockade their own country..😂

I am cheering only Peace while you are a pathetic warmonger
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by Alusiizizi(m): 1:31pm On Aug 10, 2023
JagabanB:

1. Maybe u should attend a class on real life happenings before u talk about physics.
River don't have only one dame across it, your shallow physics just faiIed.

I cut the rest of your crap after reading these statements. At any rate, no point in arguing with an agbado munching baboon. Would be like reasoning with a brick wall. By the way, good luck with that 30k that you're being paid to promote your balabalu bruva motormouth.
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by Goke7: 1:34pm On Aug 10, 2023
This is a dumb post. Nigeria currently generates more of it's electricity from gas than hydro
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by ivolt: 2:23pm On Aug 10, 2023
BLACKPRIEST:

You're embarrassingly wrong about the highlighted. That date you're referring to is probably when Shehu Garba explained to Nigerians, through the media, the importance of that Nigeria-Niger electricity pact.

The Kandadji dam started in 2019 and is projected to end in 2026. The ousted president hasn't done much in this regard beyond visiting the project site; hence, It hasn't progressed.

Niger's civil government has, in the past, had meetings and discussions with a previous Nigeria minister of power on how to handle issues that concerning the project. I know about one of the meetings.

Because of Tinubu's carelessness, Niger's new government may not hold discussions. I'm concerned about the implications for us. I'm from a region of the country that'll likely be affected.

You're lucky I answered you.
This thread is a misinformation thread aim to arrogate some leverage to the junta which they don't have.
My response merely demonstrate that damning the river predates any move of the coup plotter.

Let me make it simpler for you.

This is just like threatening to jail someone who is already serving a life sentence.
Does it make sense to you to start nitpicking about whether the person has spent
2 years or 4 years in jail?

All things being equal, Niger will not stop constructing the dam, coup or no coup.

If Nigeria really don't want the damn constructed, there are subversive methods to halt the project
indefinitely.

Next time, read to understand so you don't embarrass yourself.
BTW, you are not special!
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by BLACKPRIEST: 2:56pm On Aug 10, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

Guinea is already building its dam at the beginning of the river and Niger dam will be useless and probably suspended because the funding will no longer be provided.

Nigeria, unlike Niger, that is landlocked like our Southeast, still has river Benue to supply our tributaries to the delta and direct access to the Atlantic in Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Rivers, Delta, Akwa Ibom, Cross River and Bayelsa states. Check my signature for free stuffs!

You're not looking at the issues from the right perspectives I'm afraid.

1. Regarding funding, there are new interest blocks in Niger's issue. You didn't consider that.

2. Regarding Nigeria having options, I laugh at your ignorance. Why has the electricity debacle lingered for more than 40 years? Nigeria currently requires 30,000MW of electricity to meet national residential and industrial power demand. Your country's operational generation capacity is less than 5000MW out of the 22,000MW installed capacity. You don't even want to talk about the corruption in transmission.

Those options you enumerated plus solar, wind and coal can give Nigeria way more than 50,000MW. Despite these, why are we still doing about 4000MW?

That's you question to answer.
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by BLACKPRIEST: 3:13pm On Aug 10, 2023
Alusiizizi:

It seems that you need some brush-up lessons in physics, specifically, the difference between potential/kinetic energy and their conservation. If that river is dammed in the Niger then the available energy in the Kainji dam is much more reduced, which means much lower electricity output, along with all the attendant economic issues.

Sounds like pork to me.

This has nothing to do with Obi or the Obidient movement for that matter but rather why a sitting president would breath "military intervention" out loud without being absolutely sure that he can sustain such.

Actually we are not hoping for Nigeria to fall. We are hoping for a Nigeria where presidential elections are not determined by "Ghana must go", Bullion vans or a plate of indomie and a crummy tee shirt.

We are hoping for a Nigeria where it is impossible for a single individual to override the will of millions of citizens, selecting his choice of candidate as president instead.

We are hoping for a Nigeria where competent leaders that truly care for the progress of Nigeria are elected and not for the selection of one whose only ambition is to loot the national treasury dry, right before selling the entire country to western actors.

So you see, we are in fact hoping for the same Nigeria that you are hoping for

P.S. We are working harder, in fact we have worked so hard that even your champion international motor-mouth put himself in a fix with his "military intervention" in some deluded notion that such an intervention would cement his shaky position as president.

Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you, again.
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by kabillionaire(m): 3:20pm On Aug 10, 2023
Uranium which Niger has in abundance is one of the materials used in developing nuclear power.
It will interest you to know that, the most effective power generation known to man is from nuclear sources.
Cutting Niger's power source is actually telling them to use what they have to generate power and in so doing step up the game by using nuclear grade uranium to manufacture nuclear weapons.
This is something France, Europe, Asia and the West know.

1 Like

Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by Alusiizizi(m): 3:24pm On Aug 10, 2023
BLACKPRIEST:

Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you, again.

You're welcome.
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by Christistruth03: 3:28pm On Aug 10, 2023
Yawns!!!

As if only 2 Nigerian Air force Pilots cannot blow up any such Dam in less than 2 days and force Niger to the Negotiation table
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by BLACKPRIEST: 3:28pm On Aug 10, 2023
Alusiizizi:

I don't think that you fully understood the sentiment of the OP. Re-read.

I lack words to describe you: You're a great mind.
Re: Warning: Niger Republic Will Dam River Niger And Nigeria Will Lose Reputation by JagabanB: 6:55pm On Aug 10, 2023
Alusiizizi:

I cut the rest of your crap after reading these statements. At any rate, no point in arguing with an agbado munching baboon. Would be like reasoning with a brick wall. By the way, good luck with that 30k that you're being paid to promote your balabalu bruva motormouth.
When it hits so hard, it becomes "crap".
If I present to u a paper and a pen to demonstrate the working principle of a hydro power plant turbine in lay man English, u won't be able to write anything.
U think everything is politics, see this one want to teach me physics.
LOL.
U should have explained how competent Obi is from the narratives I gave to u.
Since those are so difficult to defend for ur "no shishi" Iienus, u call it crap.
Calling Obi "competent" is the biggest crap of the decade in this country.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Reno Omokri React As Igbos Mock His Made In ABA Shoe. / If The Opposition Wants To Beat PDP They Must Run An Igbo Candidate. / Mutiny: You Will Push Us Into Doing Field Marshall In The Bush - Alex Badeh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.