Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,021 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

A price to pay - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / A price to pay (334 Views)

Are Nigerians Too Poor To Pay For Software Subscriptions Or Just Too Stingy ? / Please Is 100k A Fair Amount To Pay To Learn Programming? / I Want To Learn Programming, I'm Willing To Pay Anyone That Is Willing To Teach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A price to pay by Emmaneze: 7:05am On Aug 09, 2023
Hello
I'm not much of a writer, couldn't even think of a good name as the subject grin.I created this diary because I want to document my learning progress and I just need somewhere to express myself as well as connect to other devs.Alright,pardon my writing skills cheesy
So I'm in my late teens ,a sibling of mine adviced me to go into tech about 3 years ago which was lockdown,I started with HTML CSS but I got bored of it so I stopped.
Fast forward to last year I picked it up in December finished in January
Started js in January ,I actually do blame my self for using an outdated course,the course was based on ES5 but irrespective I continued,due to fact that it was a udemy course not all the topics were covered.I learnt bootstrap,jquery too.
I blame myself but till today for one thing which is not practicing
I watch videos, jot down,keep the notes ,read them from time to time, but I never practice.
I thought I was making progress,I did make progress but the progress is way to small to the effort put in.
The udemy course covered stuff like var,basics,array ,function then DOM ,jquery
After that next in line was node
I moved into nodejs without ever writing a script tag or practicing what I learnt in js.Can you imagine?? Lol..
In process
I'll end here so the writeup won't be long
Re: A price to pay by Emmaneze: 7:18am On Aug 09, 2023
Alright
Not really good with NL interface
Let me continue
Learnt basics of node,npm,routing etc
Moved to express,I was still jotting notes and cramming cool.
But I felt like my js knowledge is not strong
While still learning a friend of mine designed a ui with just HTML/CSS ,it looked good .so I trued designing it ,couldn't do it
So I went back to CSS ,downloaded a boom of 700pages ,read the book,it took a while tho.
That book was a great read and this time I practiced what I learnt Lol..
So after doing CSS the second time I moved to js .I told myself I would conquer js
I downloaded books that were recommended on NL here.I think eloquent js was one of them .never even read those books.
I discovered freecodecamp aka FFC and w3schools.My biggest mistake was dumping those books.One of the problems I have is commitment. When I'm commited to something I'll put in all my best but it'll only be for a short while.
Was doing js on FFC .this time I learnt things in ES6 and a lot more that weren't covered in the udemy course.Those that know FFC would know that there's a section for data structure and algorithm.I could do the basic ones but the immediate one I definitely ran away grin
A friend of mine told me someone was looking for a react assistant.that job would have given me a lot I require,it would give me experience, little money,networks.
I couldn't accept the job due to my weak knowledge.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A price to pay by Emmaneze: 7:29am On Aug 09, 2023
Ohh I almost forgot
I tried learning Photoshop for web dev
Had a udemy course on it.went halfway then stopped
My laptop was faulty but that wasn't the issue,the issue was my commitment.
After watching that react jobs slide away,I decided to learn react
Went on FCC to learn,their exercises are trash and outdated ,went to w3schools as well
Their courses couldn't meet my expectation.
Downloaded books and YouTube vids,it became worse ,I couldn't still understand. Time kept on going.
So on a react group I'm on some sent me a roadmap, so I decided to follow it.
During the past month I watch videos on jsx,props,rendering,react router,redux,hooks,tailwind CSS,mui,react query,Apollo,jest
But I didn't practice yet
About two months ago ,I read the php learning on w3 schools
Its quite short,so I download a book on php ,almost 700pages,I'm at the point of connect to db using PDO.
Went on YouTube too and downloaded a php playlist it has almost 150 vids
Could finish it,deleted it.
So yesterday I checked my google drive and saw a udemy react course .the course was shared on a group since april.I went to preview the course it's quite up to standard.
Re: A price to pay by Emmaneze: 7:45am On Aug 09, 2023
Please forgive my writing ,I didn't proofread the writeup and I never liked writing in the first place grin grin
So now what's the plan??
I thought of going back to js,then I realized that I covered js or rather I have the required knowledge of js for frontend e.g ES6 .And that going back to js would mean that there hasn't been progress since April.
I went back to my drawing board this morning ,and the plan is to learn react and learn it like my life depends on it,because it actually does..
Due to fact that I watched lots of YouTube buds on react last months. I have some knowledge on it.
The plan is to learn react ,like I mean learn every bit of it ,leaving no part untouched.
I always wanted to document my progress but I've been feeling lazy to do it.so today I just had a feeling to document.
So in these write up and after 8½months into web dev .My lessons so far
-Stay in one place:Focus on a stack,become really good in it.it can change your life
-Network:I have few friend into dev sha,but due to the fact that I got that job opportunity that I didn't take.its a lesson that taught me that your network is your net worth.
Practice:I really wish I could go back in time to practice,since I will be changing my laptop,I'll practice as much as I can and build projects
I still have plans to finish my uncompleted learning
Roadmap
React
React Native
Firebase
Php
This time I'm going to use udemy courses
Another important reason of documenting this journey is because I have this feeling that there's a lot of potential in react.somewhere in my mind I have this feeling that react will be my breakthrough into tech
Nairalanders should pray for me lol..
So I'll come back this evening or tmmrw to document what I've learnt so far.Because I believe documenting will help track your progress and reading this few years to come would be delightful...
The journey starts today

2 Likes

Re: A price to pay by Maxxim: 9:09am On Aug 09, 2023
I actually thought you've started making money from react, with the context of your heading 🤧
Everyone suffers from commitment issues but when push comes to shove, no one is gonna tell you what to do
Re: A price to pay by Emmaneze: 12:06pm On Aug 10, 2023
Chill everyone grin grin
Will update later this evening or tmmrw morning

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Join Our Hacking Team. / Please I Need Help To Install React Native / Wordpress To HTML Conversion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.