Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,264 members, 7,839,337 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors (6450 Views)

Amaechi Did Not Storm The Residence Of The Senate President In Anger Or Protest / Sympathizers Storm The Palace Of The Late Ooni Of Ife (Photos) / Boko Haram: 50 Lawyers To Storm The Hague For Prosecution Of Sheriff, Ihejirika (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by Kx: 8:43am On Oct 12, 2011
Are we in Military dictatorship or democracy?
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by olawalebabs(m): 8:52am On Oct 12, 2011
@beaf, it's very possible to get any correspondence meant for the president, am not saying The nation should not be touch when they commit crime, but let the law takes it cause. Why not sue them instead of resorting to a combat like style.
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by Demdem(m): 8:56am On Oct 12, 2011
Beaf:

It is wrong to forge letters. I pity those editors.
Its arse roasting day at CID and SSS. grin

No reasonable person would even imagine that The Nation somehow obtained a letter to GEJ.

It would have been better to take them to court and let the court decide that. This is simply harassment and it shows who directly is in charge of this country. Rule of law my foot.

[/quote]Obasanjo threatened legal action against The Nation newspaper but the daily said that it stood by its story on the letter.[quote]
http://www.news24.com/Africa/News/5-Nigerian-journalists-arrested-20111012

The Illegality Of The Arrest And Detention Of The Staff Of The NATION Newspapers

By Femi Falana

Following the recent publication of a letter written to President Goodluck Jonathan by Chief Olusegun Obasanjo  in respect of some federal parastatals the Nigeria Police Force Headqurters requested the editor of THE NATION newspaper, Mr. Gbenga Omotoso to report at Abuja for interrogation with respect to the source of the publication of the said letter. As Mr. Omotoso had travelled out of the country on an official engagement we  wrote to the policeto the effect  that he would report upon his return to the country.

But this afternoon the police invaded the Abuja office of the newspaper and arrested two of its correspondents- Messrs Yussuf Ali and Yomi Odunuga.A similar operation was carried out in its Lagos office  where the police quizzed Messrs Lawal Ogianegbon, John Austin Unachukwu, Adegbenjo Babajide and Dapo Olufade as well as Mrs Dupe Olaoye-Osinkolu. All efforts to secure the release of the detained journalists have proved abortive as they are being asked to disclose the source of the leakage of Chief Obasanjo's letter.

As the detained journalists are not prepared to disclose the source of the publication they are being accused of having forged the letter. Meanwhile Chief Obasanjo's specimen signature has not been obtained and taken to a forensic laboratory to establish the allegation of forgery in the circumstance. To that extent no reasonable suspicion has been established to warrant the arrests and detention of the journalists as required by section 35 of the Constitution of Nigeria.

Since forgery is a bailable offence under the law  we demand for the immediate release of the detained  journalists. In the alternative, they should be charged to court where our clients will prove beyond any shadow of doubt that  the controversial letter was not forged.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/illegality-arrest-and-detention-staff-nation-newspapers
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by Akanbiedu(m): 8:57am On Oct 12, 2011
Adie to ba l'okun,
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by Akanbiedu(m): 8:59am On Oct 12, 2011
The pattern is manifesting, history has a way of repeating itself.
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by Beaf: 9:02am On Oct 12, 2011
olawalebab:

@beaf, it's very possible to get any correspondence meant for the president, am not saying The nation should not be touch when they commit crime, but let the law takes it cause. Why not sue them instead of resorting to a combat like style.

The right thing is to arrest every last one of them, lock them away, question and charge them, after which they will be returned to detention. Being in opposition does not equate to being subversives that flaunt decorum and morality to forge documents and purport them to be from the highest office in the land. A time comes when the benign snarl becomes a full throated roar.
They have pushed their luck too far this time and the price is being paid. I hope they serve very stiff sentences.

The opposition from the North and SW stretch the rules to breaking point all the time, but forgery is way beyond the bounds of actions that can be overlooked.
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by djustice: 9:10am On Oct 12, 2011
I have no doubt that the said letter was a forgery. Obasanjo tends to write this sort of letter by hand, not typed or printed.

No surprises here anyway, since the newspaper is owned by a renowned master forger. "Bola Tinubu" used to forge American Visas in Ibadan in the 60s and 70s, around Cocoa House. He may have entered the United States himself on a forged visa!

Let the investigation commence, and if they're found liable, let them be charged to court and if found guilty, let the book be thrown at them as a lesson to other lazy, incompetent, conniving Nigerian brown-envelope journalists.
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by Akainzo(m): 9:15am On Oct 12, 2011
Beaf:

The right thing is to arrest every last one of them, lock them away, question and charge them, after which they will be returned to detention. Being in opposition does not equate to being subversives that flaunt decorum and morality to forge documents and purport them to be from the highest office in the land. A time comes when the benign snarl becomes a full throated roar.
They have pushed their luck too far this time and the price is being paid. I hope they serve very stiff sentences.

The opposition from the North and SW stretch the rules to breaking point all the time, but forgery is way beyond the bounds of actions that can be overlooked.

This was exactly the same line of ranting you used when the police arrested Dokpesi, you ranted to high heavens how guilty Dokpesi was, but what happened, Dokpesi became the campaign coordinator for your GEJ.

You have started on the same drive again, soon, you would be made to swallow spit. FYI: Rule of law that GEJ proclaims and that he purportedly wants to promote by signing the FOI bill, would imply that if you cannot charge someone within 48 hours, then you cannot arrest them until you've concluded your investigation. So they should not be locked away, they should simply be charged if the police conclude that the letter is forged.
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by Akainzo(m): 9:16am On Oct 12, 2011
djustice:

I have no doubt that the said letter was a forgery. Obasanjo tends to write this sort of letter by hand, not typed or printed.

No surprises here anyway, since the newspaper is owned by a renowned master forger. "Bola Tinubu" used to forge American Visas in Ibadan in the 60s and 70s, around Cocoa House. He may have entered the United States himself on a forged visa!

Let the investigation commence, and if they're found liable, let them be charged to court and if found guilty, let the book be thrown at them as a lesson to other lazy, incompetent, conniving Nigerian brown-envelope journalists.

How many of such letters from OBJ have you seen?
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by onyengbu: 9:18am On Oct 12, 2011
Ibro Yaya:

[size=16pt]I have an Honest question.

Do Journalist have immunity?
[/size]

[size=18pt]No one seem to be willing to answer this question. Why?!!![/size]
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by Beaf: 9:19am On Oct 12, 2011
^
They know the answer, but pretend not to. Its like anyone can start up a newspaper and start frantically forging like the Devil after seeing a pretty girls panties.

Akainzo:

This was exactly the same line of ranting you used when the police arrested Dokpesi, you ranted to high heavens how guilty Dokpesi was, but what happened, Dokpesi became the campaign coordinator for your GEJ.

You have started on the same drive again, soon, you would be made to swallow spit. FYI: Rule of law that GEJ proclaims and that he purportedly wants to promote by signing the FOI bill, would imply that if you cannot charge someone within 48 hours, then you cannot arrest them until you've concluded your investigation. So they should not be locked away, they should simply be charged if the police conclude that the letter is forged.

"You said" "They said". Dude, don't you have a mind of your own?
Don't worry about me, stick to the topic. Or haven't you noticed there is a topic?
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by Demdem(m): 9:27am On Oct 12, 2011
Beaf:

fantastic. This to you is rule of law right?

Come to think of it, what is wrong in first investigating before arrest and detention as its being done in the civilized world? i see no difference in what this govt has done to these journalists and what our previous military govts did.
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by Beaf: 9:37am On Oct 12, 2011
Demdem:

fantastic. This to you is rule of law right?

Come to think of it, what is wrong in first investigating before arrest and detention as its being done in the civilized world? i see no difference in what this govt has done to these journalists and what our previous military govts did.

I believe investigation must have been concluded. The President knows all letters on his desk afterall.
Like someone hinted earlier, journalists are not above the law. 419 people are regularly arrested and locked up, so why should it be different for other forgers?
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by sholay2011(m): 9:40am On Oct 12, 2011
Go uncle jona! we're 'njoyin' d fresh air. jst continue dcivin d f**ls dt voted u in dt u re our messiah wiv ur empty promises nd secret evil agenda. nonsense! undecided
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by Demdem(m): 9:57am On Oct 12, 2011
Beaf:

I believe investigation must have been concluded. The President knows all letters on his desk afterall.
Like someone hinted earlier, journalists are not above the law. 419 people are regularly arrested and locked up, so why should it be different for other forgers?

I honestly dont think so. instead, i think they are just starting their investigation. The typical Nigerian Police style. why dont u think of it this way:
O yes, the President knows all letters on his desk and he noticed that one critical one is missing and wants to know the mole in his office grin grin grin
Until it is substantiated that these letters are forged, the journalists are still innocent. no one is saying that they shouldnt face the music if found wanting.

Alli and Odunuga’s lawyer, Mr. Ugochukwu Osuagwu, described the arrest as strange and political.

He said, “My clients were quizzed by Dorothy Gimba, a Deputy Commissioner of Police, who showed keen interest in knowing the source of the secret letter.

[b]“My clients insisted that the ethics of journalism prevents him from disclosing the source. He told them that he had been practising journalism for over 22 years and understood the ethics of the profession.

“While being quizzed, the DCP received a call supposedly from a Commissioner of Police in Force Headquarters that she should transfer the matter and the journalists to the CP’s office.

“When we got to the Force Headquarters, we were taken to the 7th floor, the CP’s office. I was chased out. The CP asked if they were sure that I was not a Boko Haram member. The police seized the journalists’ phones. While Yusuf was taken inside to interact with the CP, Yomi was told to wait in the office of the Secretary to the CP.

“The arrest is strange and political. Obasanjo did not write any petition but only complained on the pages of newspapers. Who is the complainant? Is it the government that is complaining over a supposedly private letter? Let the police take them to court, I will produce the letter in court.” [/b]

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201110121104395

The guys promised to produce the supposed letter in court so i expect them to charge them immediately. These journalists simply knows their onions.
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by Beaf: 10:03am On Oct 12, 2011
Demdem:

I honestly dont think so. instead, i think they are just starting their investigation. The typical Nigerian Police style. why dont u think of it this way:
O yes, the President knows all letters on his desk and he noticed that one critical one is missing and wants to know the mole in his office grin grin grin
Until it is substantiated that these letters are forged, the journalists are still innocent.

The more reason why the perpetrators need to be locked away and questioned by the security services. They cannot play games with the Presidents office, that is subversion, a serious offence which carries a hefty punishment. There are really no kind words to describe what the Nation did. Those editors are in real trouble indeed.

As for producing a document in court; its of little use when that document is already known to be fake.
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by olawalebabs(m): 10:06am On Oct 12, 2011
Beaf:

You sound as the lawyer and the judge. Those words are too harsh, or una already the lawyer that will charge them
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by Demdem(m): 10:07am On Oct 12, 2011
Beaf:

The more reason why the perpetrators need to be locked away and questioned by the security services. They cannot play games with the Presidents office, that is subversion, a serious offence which carries a hefty punishment. There are really no kind words to describe what the Nation did. Those editors are in real trouble indeed.
very Good but that is a different story entirely. The issue at hand is if the letter in question is fake or not. If the above scenario is true then the letter is real and not fake.
also if this scenario is true, i see nothing wrong in what these journalists have done. the only person that needs to be punished is the mole in the President's office simple.

You have not said enough to suggest to all that the document is fake. The presidency/ Reuben Abati hasnt even said such i guess. Only OBJ denied such and THE nation said the letter is real and are ready to reveal such in court.
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by Beaf: 10:13am On Oct 12, 2011
^
The accusation of forgery can be gleaned from the questions Abati asked the Nation as well as the words of the Nations editor in chief to AFP. Its all about forgery.

olawalebab:

You sound as the lawyer and the judge. Those words are too harsh, or una already the lawyer that will charge them

The game the journalists played is proportional to the treatment they are getting in response. There is no country in the World where any press person is bold enough to publish "secret" communications they purport to be from a sitting President.
Those men are going down, and they are going down hard; they decided to test the highest authority, so let them reap the bitter fruit.

Opposion does not equate to subversion.
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by Demdem(m): 10:16am On Oct 12, 2011
^^^

The onus is with the govt to convince us that the doc is fake. if not, these journalists are innocent and should be released. Instead GEJ should focus in his office and fish out the supposedly moles there. Infact i am suspecting ABATI.

Beaf:

^
The accusation of forgery can be gleaned from the questions Abati asked the Nation as well as the words of the Nations editor in chief to AFP. Its all about forgery.

Please am interested in this report if it exists. Kindly publish it now for all to see and read.
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by Nobody: 10:21am On Oct 12, 2011
Watergate scandal

The Watergate scandal was a political scandal during the 1970s in the United States resulting from the break-in of the Democratic National Committee headquarters at the Watergate office complex in Washington, D.C. and the Nixon administration's attempted cover up of its involvement. Effects of the scandal eventually led to the resignation of Richard Nixon, the President of the United States, on August 9, 1974; his was the only resignation of a U.S. President. The scandal also resulted in the indictment, trial, conviction and incarceration of several top Nixon administration officials.

The affair began with the arrest of five men for breaking and entering into the Democratic National Committee (DNC) headquarters at the Watergate complex on June 17, 1972. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) connected the payments to the burglars to a slush fund used by the 1972 Committee to Re-elect the President, a fundraising group for the Nixon campaign.[1][2] As evidence mounted against the president's staff, which included former staff members testifying against them in an investigation conducted by the Senate Watergate Committee, it was revealed that President Nixon had a tape recording system in his offices and that he had recorded many conversations.[3][4] Recordings from these tapes implicated the president, revealing that he had attempted to cover up the break-in.[2][5] After a series of court battles, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the president had to hand over the tapes to government investigators; he ultimately complied.

Facing near-certain impeachment in the House of Representatives and a strong possibility of a conviction in the Senate, Nixon resigned the presidency on August 9, 1974.[6][7] His successor, Gerald Ford, issued a pardon to President Nixon after his resignation.

of course, that was in a real democracy, not this comedy with a hypocrite in a hat
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by olawalebabs(m): 10:24am On Oct 12, 2011
@Beaf,the onus is on the government to prove their case that it is y, saying no where in the world will journalist get the correspondence of a sitting president is totally false.
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by lovejo(m): 11:36am On Oct 12, 2011
The content of the letter threaten national security of Nigerian due to to the fact that it can set North against the South West, serious issue need drastic action for unity of Nigeria.
Proper investigation will be done before charging them to court of law.
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by Demdem(m): 11:40am On Oct 12, 2011
lovejo:

The content of the letter threaten national security of Nigerian due to to the fact that it can set North against the South West, serious issue need drastic action for unity of Nigeria.
Proper investigation will be done before charging them to court of law.

And who do you thing should be arrested and prosecuted for that? no be the writer of such letter?
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by olawalebabs(m): 11:41am On Oct 12, 2011
That means the nation is not at fault for exposing the truth, my problem is that our security agent belive more in photo ops, just to show the world that they are doing their job. the presidency to find  mole that 'expose' the letter.
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by lovejo(m): 11:50am On Oct 12, 2011
Demdem:

And who do you thing should be arrested and prosecuted for that? no be the writer of such letter?

Let the authenticity of the letter be proof 1st, if it was forged, then they deserve to be sentence.
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by Demdem(m): 11:53am On Oct 12, 2011
lovejo:

Let the authenticity of the letter be proof 1st, if it was forged, then they deserve to be sentence.

I agree 100%. That will be done most likely at the law court so why are they still holding the journalists if not to intimidate them.
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by lovejo(m): 11:57am On Oct 12, 2011
Demdem:

I agree 100%. That will be done most likely at the law court so why are they still holding the journalists if not to intimidate them.

If presidency send me on errand also i will do more than what they sent me, hope u understand all of us want to impress our superior for one or 2 things, especially police.
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by Demdem(m): 11:59am On Oct 12, 2011
lovejo:

If presidency send me on errand also i will do more than what they sent me, hope u understand all of us want to impress our superior for one or 2 things, especially police.

That is why a presidency that has balls which also hinges on the Rule of law should do everything within his power to curtail the excesses of her security forces
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by tolu001: 12:27pm On Oct 12, 2011
@beaf

Is this beaf pork sane at all, why is your thinking so lopsided?, i've never seen u reasonable or objective anywhere on nairaland and i'm sure outside nairaland you are no different.

People like u walking freely on the streets of Naija is a DISASTER to the country. Don't you worry, your days of reckoning is by the corner.
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by LogicPower(m): 12:36pm On Oct 12, 2011
Demdem: "The typical Nigerian Police style. why dont u think of it this way:
O yes, the President knows all letters on his desk and he noticed that one critical one is missing and wants to know the mole in his office"

Beaf: "The more reason why the perpetrators need to be locked away and questioned by the security services. They cannot play games with the Presidents office, that is subversion, a serious offence which carries a hefty punishment. There are really no kind words to describe what the Nation did. Those editors are in real trouble indeed."

Demdem: "very Good but that is a different story entirely. The issue at hand is if the letter in question is fake or not. If the above scenario is true, (i.e. a mole stole and leaked the letter to the paper) then the letter is real and not fake.
also if this scenario is true, i see nothing wrong in what these journalists have done. the only person that needs to be punished is the mole in the President's office
simple"

Demdem, you have clearly and aptly demonstrated how awesome and formidable the power of logic is, by this your simple deductive reasoning.

And the best thing about logic is that it is intrinsically objective, constant and neutral; the value of your argument, for instance, would remain the same regardless of the side of the debate on which you are, as far as Beaf's premises are concerned.
Re: Police Detectives Storm The Nation's Office & Arrest Four Editors by ss007: 12:52pm On Oct 12, 2011
shocked shocked shocked "I VOTE FOR JONATHAN NOT PDP!" shocked shocked shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari’s Wife Asks President Jonathan To Resign Immediately / Buhari Deploys The Military And Armoured Tanks In PH To Intimidate Wike- PHOTOS / EXPLOSIVE: The Anti Igbo And SS Plot By Yoruba And Northerners Goes Viral

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.