Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,329 members, 7,811,967 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:01 AM

I Just Switched To Linux From Windows - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Just Switched To Linux From Windows (1238 Views)

How I Switched To Data Science From A Non IT Background - My Learning Experience / I Have Switched To Vim As My Primary Editor, You Should Too / How To View Pluralsight Video From Windows Old (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by chukwuebuka65(m): 9:05pm On Aug 09, 2023
Linux gurus in the house. What advice do you have for me ? How do I get the best out of this OS. I am enjoying the experience so far.
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by KrazyDave16(m): 9:18am On Aug 10, 2023
chukwuebuka65:
Linux gurus in the house. What advice do you have for me ? How do I get the best out of this OS. I am enjoying the experience so far.
Spend more time knowing how Linux works, and make it work with your workflow (scripts, Cron jobs, shorten complex commands to aliases, and more that'll come to you).
That already done, get to doing some actual work.

Avoid theming like a madman. Ricing is cool, till you install this seemingly harmless widget/extension that'll cause you issues like a memory leak, which leads to freezing, makes you do a clean reinstall because you don't have a backup via Timeshift, and uninstalling the offending widget didn't change anything (true story).

Other than that, here are some tips;
Get Timeshift (backup your data, it doesn't extend to files stored)
Avoid updating your packages/system the moment an update drops, even if it's a kernel update (6.4.* freezing on AMD CPUs, 6.4.9 fixed it for some). Wait for others to review before doing so.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by chukwuebuka65(m): 2:28pm On Aug 10, 2023
KrazyDave16:

Spend more time knowing how Linux works, and make it work with your workflow (scripts, Cron jobs, shorten complex commands to aliases, and more that'll come to you).

Avoid theming like a madman. Ricing is cool, till you install this seemingly harmless widget/extension that'll cause you issues like a memory leak, which leads to freezing, makes you do a clean reinstall because you don't have a backup via Timeshift, and uninstalling the offending widget didn't change anything (true story).

Avoid updating your packages/system the moment an update drops, even if it's a kernel update (6.4.* freezing on AMD CPUs, 6.4.9 fixed it for some). Wait for others to review before doing so.

Thanks for the advice
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by silento(m): 7:48am On Aug 11, 2023
Stick to Debian u will enjoy
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by chukwuebuka65(m): 8:41am On Aug 11, 2023
silento:
Stick to Debian u will enjoy

Yea, I am on Ubuntu. I am surprised devices that require drivers on windows don't on Linux. I just plug them in and they start working.
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by Adeoye11(m): 6:07pm On Aug 11, 2023
KrazyDave16:

Boss it's like this are the problems my Ubuntu is experiencing now kindly help me out on the issue.
I posted this message on the science and technology forum, so I had to recopy here
Hello here !
It's me again t@techbite.
Please I have an issue with my Ubuntu os which I installed on a virtual machine box.
I discovered some days ago that once my Ubuntu finished booting and login to the GUI, if I tried clicking on any app it will not respond and it will then force my whole system to do a hard booting process but before that it will write something like your windows encountered an error, we will try reboot
Please what could be wrong ?
Should I delete the Ubuntu and reinstall it or ?
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by Adeoye11(m): 6:09pm On Aug 11, 2023
I am already getting acquainted to how Linux Ubuntu works before I encountered that issue I mentioned earlier
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by Paystack: 9:20pm On Aug 11, 2023
Una go just the the give Una self headache.

U go soon port back
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by KrazyDave16(m): 7:50am On Aug 12, 2023
Adeoye11:

Boss it's like this are the problems my Ubuntu is experiencing now kindly help me out on the issue.
I posted this message on the science and technology forum, so I had to recopy here
Hello here !
It's me again t@techbite.
Please I have an issue with my Ubuntu os which I installed on a virtual machine box.
What's the name of the VM software you installed?
Did you confiure the VM on any way (number of threads allocated, RAM, ...?)
Installed any apps recently before said issue happened?
Your PC specs?

To me, either Windows started running some process which requires more CPU power (hence the VM unresponsive and crashing), you installed some software we're not aware of, PC not decent enough to spin a VM with Windows, ...

Could be any of these mentioned causing it, though the go-to would be Windows hogging resources and a not-so-decent PC for VMs (can't be sure).
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by Adeoye11(m): 11:03am On Aug 12, 2023
Thanks fr the reply, well I installed oracle vm software latest edition, and I configured all that needed to be configured according to the videos online, for almost three weeks both the VM and Ubuntu on it work fine.
It was of a sudden that the Ubuntu refused to click apps but it was booting to its homepage.
I use dell vostro 5650 corei5 4gb ram and also yes I think I installed one app like that through terminal commands.
That's when the said issue started.
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by airsaylongcome: 2:08pm On Aug 12, 2023
Adeoye11:
Thanks fr the reply, well I installed oracle vm software latest edition, and I configured all that needed to be configured according to the videos online, for almost three weeks both the VM and Ubuntu on it work fine.
It was of a sudden that the Ubuntu refused to click apps but it was booting to its homepage.
I use dell vostro 5650 corei5 4gb ram and also yes I think I installed one app like that through terminal commands.

So most likely Oracle Virtualbox on Windows. How much RAM and CPU cores did you allocate to Ubuntu? Are you running Ubuntu with a Graphical desktop? Or just command line? With 4GB RAM on your Windows hardware, you'd struggle running a VM, especially a VM with a GUI.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by DyingFetus: 2:26pm On Aug 12, 2023
Wait mek you get money , you go dump Linux for Mac is

Ubuntu no be better distro, port to Linux mint to avoid stories that touches the heart
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by airsaylongcome: 2:33pm On Aug 12, 2023
DyingFetus:
Wait mek you get money , you go dump Linux for Mac is

Ubuntu no be better distro, port to Linux mint to avoid stories that touches the heart

It's hilarious reading this to be honest. Mint "better" than Ubuntu? When both are based on Debian? Someone had initially mentioned that any Linux conversation ends up being a d!ck measuring contest. Any distro is fine as long as the user is happy with it.

And your comment about getting a mac when one has money, ment
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by Princefame1: 3:33pm On Aug 12, 2023
airsaylongcome:

It's hilarious reading this to be honest. Mint "better" than Ubuntu? When both are based on Debian? Someone had initially mentioned that any Linux conversation ends up being a d!ck measuring contest. Any distro is fine as long as the user is happy with it.

And your comment about getting a mac when one has money, ment

Sir I have been following you here for quite sometime. I need you guidance and a kind of mentorship on some things. I will want to email you if it is okay by you. Thanks.
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by KrazyDave16(m): 4:19pm On Aug 12, 2023
Adeoye11:
4gb is way too poor for running VMs on Windows.
8gb will still have you getting stutters.

There's the option to upgrade ram to 16gb minimum (dual channel is better), but know this might/might not entirely fix the issue. Other factors comes to play (as per what Air asked of you).
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by airsaylongcome: 4:37pm On Aug 12, 2023
Princefame1:

Sir I have been following you here for quite sometime. I need you guidance and a kind of mentorship on some things. I will want to email you if it is okay by you. Thanks.

I'm sorry I can't provide mentorship or guidance at this point. I'm neck deep in a a study program that I barely have time. I apologise
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by BRATISLAVA: 4:37pm On Aug 12, 2023
airsaylongcome:

I'm sorry I can't provide mentorship or guidance at this point. I'm neck deep in a a study program that I barely have time. I apologise

You, sir, you still need to study? Red cap mentor.

shocked
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by airsaylongcome: 4:40pm On Aug 12, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

shocked

Brati, I'm literally spending almost 20 hours on the computer these days o. 8 hours work. 12 hours study. The sleep self no dey complete. I have one of the most demanding exams coming up and it's almost like na Indomie I get as brain

1 Like

Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by BRATISLAVA: 4:42pm On Aug 12, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Brati, I'm literally spending almost 20 hours on the computer these days o. 8 hours work. 12 hours study. The sleep self no dey complete. I have one of the most demanding exams coming up and it's almost like na Indomie I get as brain

Lol. Understandable.

Best of luck, our red cap mentor.
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by qtguru(m): 6:39pm On Aug 12, 2023
Paystack:
Una go just the the give Una self headache.

U go soon port back
Our field requires Linux, I use it as my official OS along with Mac and Windows. I'm on Linux more
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by qtguru(m): 6:40pm On Aug 12, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

shocked

Everybody studies, I'm still studying Algo and DSA at this age at my career and achievement.
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by chukwuebuka65(m): 6:57pm On Aug 12, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Na im be say this career is not for the weak.
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by chukwuebuka65(m): 6:59pm On Aug 12, 2023
qtguru:

Everybody studies, I'm still studying Algo and DSA at this age at my career and achievement.

Reading this, it’s clear I still have a long journey ahead.
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by airsaylongcome: 7:28pm On Aug 12, 2023
chukwuebuka65:

Lol...na the role I wan transition into cause am. I wan move from intermediate role to senior role and I need to have a certification for that. The certification exam is not mandatory but no one will respect you as a Senior without it
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by airsaylongcome: 7:31pm On Aug 12, 2023
qtguru:

No jokes man. The practical knowledge is not really that hard. But the theory and the rationale behind it na where agbada dey hook fence. It's like a search or a sort algo. Anyone with experience knows how to implement it. But when you have to start discussing the efficiency of the algo and why one algo is theoretically suited for a situation and another isn't. All those theoretical stuff. Na the VoIP equivalent dey hook my agbada so
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by airsaylongcome: 7:34pm On Aug 12, 2023
qtguru:

Our field requires Linux, I use it as my official OS along with Mac and Windows. I'm on Linux more

I don't understand some people's opinions sha. How can someone just seat down and say someone will port back when they get uncomfortable with Linux. For someone like me, 90% of the VoIP solutions are on Linux. The small 10% on other OS are fringe solutions. So Linux is almost always required if you want to work in that space
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by chukwuebuka65(m): 8:06pm On Aug 12, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Lol...na the role I wan transition into cause am. I wan move from intermediate role to senior role and I need to have a certification for that. The certification exam is not mandatory but no one will respect you as a Senior without it

Alright. I wonder how long it takes to be a senior.
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by DyingFetus: 8:17pm On Aug 12, 2023
Adeoye11:

What do you hope to achieve with Linux??

Ubuntu is too heavy and bloated for your system

Downgrade to a minimal distro without system MD like Alpine Linux or Void
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by BRATISLAVA: 10:15pm On Aug 12, 2023
qtguru:

You too, sir? But you're a mentor!

Do you want to get everything and leave nothing for the others? Why won't you rest for a bit?

shocked
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by BRATISLAVA: 10:17pm On Aug 12, 2023
chukwuebuka65:

Those who snooze lose.
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by tosinhtml: 12:16am On Aug 13, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

shocked

Lol you sef, the way you talk this thing like you're not in tech. It is much more harder to keep up technologies as a senior than a junior because most of what you use will be obsolete in 1-2 years. It requires 3 months dedication per year to skill-up so you can remain employable unless the juniors will even take over your position because they are better at learning new things while you're stuck on old tech or old ways. A lot of senior devs/tech people that haven't up-skilled since 2015 are now un-employable. That is why tech is diff from Nursing, Law, Accounting etc

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by qtguru(m): 12:57am On Aug 13, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

You too, sir? But you're a mentor!

Do you want to get everything and leave nothing for the others? Why won't you rest for a bit?

shocked

The Senior you are, the more you need to know, especially when you want to apply.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help: C Language And MPI ? (urgent Plz) / Andriod Terminal Emulator - Linux Shell Cmd / Looking For An ASP.NET 5/angular2 Developer To Build A School Management System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.