Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,067 members, 7,828,782 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

I Just Switched To Linux From Windows - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Just Switched To Linux From Windows (1267 Views)

How I Switched To Data Science From A Non IT Background - My Learning Experience / I Have Switched To Vim As My Primary Editor, You Should Too / How To View Pluralsight Video From Windows Old (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by Anonime1105(m): 8:51am On Aug 13, 2023
KrazyDave16:

Spend more time knowing how Linux works, and make it work with your workflow (scripts, Cron jobs, shorten complex commands to aliases, and more that'll come to you).
That already done, get to doing some actual work.

Avoid theming like a madman. Ricing is cool, till you install this seemingly harmless widget/extension that'll cause you issues like a memory leak, which leads to freezing, makes you do a clean reinstall because you don't have a backup via Timeshift, and uninstalling the offending widget didn't change anything (true story).

Other than that, here are some tips;
Get Timeshift (backup your data, it doesn't extend to files stored)
Avoid updating your packages/system the moment an update drops, even if it's a kernel update (6.4.* freezing on AMD CPUs, 6.4.9 fixed it for some). Wait for others to review before doing so.

The bolded happened to one time, after setting up the best theme in the world (for my mind) one last tweak ruined everything, the experience was very annoying angry
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by BRATISLAVA: 9:34am On Aug 13, 2023
qtguru:

The Senior you are, the more you need to know, especially when you want to apply.

But you're more grounded and you'll not let the entry levelers breathe if you keep studying!

Since you're senior, apart from updates which you already know the core about, why would you still want to continue studying your structures and algorithms? You've seen it all already! You know it all already!

As our elders in these matters, I'm going to trust you and airsaylongcome. Because the landscape changes so fast you have to keep up with it. But I still don't think you guys need to study that much, if at all.
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by qtguru(m): 10:10am On Aug 13, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

But you're more grounded and you'll not let the entry levelers breathe if you keep studying!

Since you're senior, apart from updates which you already know the core about, why would you still want to continue studying your structures and algorithms? You've seen it all already! You know it all already!

As our elders in these matters, I'm going to trust you and airsaylongcome. Because the landscape changes so fast you have to keep up with it. But I still don't think you guys need to study that much, if at all.

You know Algorithm and Data Strucutures ?
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by BRATISLAVA: 10:13am On Aug 13, 2023
qtguru:

You know Algorithm and Data Strucutures ?

Perhaps. But you know them much better than a lot of people do. Why would you still need to study them?
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by qtguru(m): 10:25am On Aug 13, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

Perhaps. But you know them much better than a lot of people do. Why would you still need to study them?

How many data structures are you familiar with ? it's not a personal attack, I'm trying to see your understanding.
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by BRATISLAVA: 11:32am On Aug 13, 2023
qtguru:

How many data structures are you familiar with ? it's not a personal attack, I'm trying to see your understanding.

None. I'm as green as they get. So you can see why I may need to study, but you shouldn't have to. You've been immersed in it for decades.
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by qtguru(m): 12:19pm On Aug 13, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

None. I'm as green as they get. So you can see why I may need to study, but you shouldn't have to. You've been immersed in it for decades.

It's a lot like alot just Array alone has different Algo tied to it and there are tons of DSA and Algo, so it's something we study to remember and every job interview quizes you on this. Algo is not a done and dusted thing, it's something you have to practice to remember.

This is from ChatGPT the curriculum for DSA

Introduction to Algorithms and Problem Solving:

Basic terminology and concepts
Algorithm analysis and complexity
Arrays and Strings:

Array manipulation and traversal
String manipulation and pattern matching
Linked Lists:

Singly linked lists
Doubly linked lists
Circular linked lists
Stacks and Queues:

Implementations and applications
Evaluation of expressions
Priority queues
Recursion and Backtracking:

Recursive problem-solving techniques
Solving problems using backtracking
Sorting and Searching:

Bubble sort, insertion sort, selection sort
Merge sort, quicksort, heapsort
Binary search, linear search
Trees:

Binary trees
Binary search trees (BST)
AVL trees, Red-Black trees
Tree traversals: inorder, preorder, postorder
Graphs:

Graph representation (adjacency matrix, adjacency list)
Breadth-First Search (BFS)
Depth-First Search (DFS)
Shortest path algorithms: Dijkstra's, Bellman-Ford
Minimum Spanning Tree (Prim's, Kruskal's)
Hashing:

Hash functions
Hash tables
Collision resolution strategies
Dynamic Programming:

Concept of overlapping subproblems and optimal substructure
Memoization and tabulation
Examples of dynamic programming problems
Greedy Algorithms:

Greedy choice property
Fractional knapsack problem
Huffman coding
Disjoint Set Union (Union-Find):

Data structure and operations
Applications in graph problems
Advanced Data Structures (optional):

Trie, Suffix tree
Segment tree, Fenwick tree (Binary Indexed Tree)
B-trees, B+ trees
Advanced Algorithms (optional):

Matrix exponentiation
Strongly connected components (Kosaraju's algorithm)
Maximum flow (Ford-Fulkerson, Edmonds-Karp)
NP-Completeness and Approximation Algorithms (optional):

Introduction to complexity classes
P vs. NP problem
Approximation algorithms

1 Like

Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by qtguru(m): 12:23pm On Aug 13, 2023
Don't buy into that myth that engineers know 100% of everything in their head. it's why we keep studying but our studying is not like beginner's level, sometimes some knowledge of Discrete math is required too, but it depends on your role and how far you want to advance.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by BRATISLAVA: 12:36pm On Aug 13, 2023
qtguru:

It's a lot like alot just Array alone has different Algo tied to it and there are tons of DSA and Algo, so it's something we study to remember and every job interview quizes you on this. Algo is not a done and dusted thing, it's something you have to practice to remember.

This is from ChatGPT the curriculum for DSA

Introduction to Algorithms and Problem Solving:

Basic terminology and concepts
Algorithm analysis and complexity
Arrays and Strings:

Array manipulation and traversal
String manipulation and pattern matching
Linked Lists:

Singly linked lists
Doubly linked lists
Circular linked lists
Stacks and Queues:

Implementations and applications
Evaluation of expressions
Priority queues
Recursion and Backtracking:

Recursive problem-solving techniques
Solving problems using backtracking
Sorting and Searching:

Bubble sort, insertion sort, selection sort
Merge sort, quicksort, heapsort
Binary search, linear search
Trees:

Binary trees
Binary search trees (BST)
AVL trees, Red-Black trees
Tree traversals: inorder, preorder, postorder
Graphs:

Graph representation (adjacency matrix, adjacency list)
Breadth-First Search (BFS)
Depth-First Search (DFS)
Shortest path algorithms: Dijkstra's, Bellman-Ford
Minimum Spanning Tree (Prim's, Kruskal's)
Hashing:

Hash functions
Hash tables
Collision resolution strategies
Dynamic Programming:

Concept of overlapping subproblems and optimal substructure
Memoization and tabulation
Examples of dynamic programming problems
Greedy Algorithms:

Greedy choice property
Fractional knapsack problem
Huffman coding
Disjoint Set Union (Union-Find):

Data structure and operations
Applications in graph problems
Advanced Data Structures (optional):

Trie, Suffix tree
Segment tree, Fenwick tree (Binary Indexed Tree)
B-trees, B+ trees
Advanced Algorithms (optional):

Matrix exponentiation
Strongly connected components (Kosaraju's algorithm)
Maximum flow (Ford-Fulkerson, Edmonds-Karp)
NP-Completeness and Approximation Algorithms (optional):

Introduction to complexity classes
P vs. NP problem
Approximation algorithms

That's a lot.

shocked

You must've encountered these at least once and thus you will know the solution without much stress when you come across them again, reducing your need to study.

Also are some of the cases of DSA above actually used in your programming life? It could be like some formulas had in mathematics that are never used, though they are studied.

And you keep all these in your head? That is, knowing they exist and how they could be used?
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by qtguru(m): 1:16pm On Aug 13, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

That's a lot.

shocked

You must've encountered these at least once and thus you will know the solution without much stress when you come across them again, reducing your need to study.

Also are some of the cases of DSA above actually used in your programming life? It could be like some formulas had in mathematics that are never used, though they are studied.

And you keep all these in your head? That is, knowing they exist and how they could be used?

Yes actually it comes faster to mind, because I've studied however the likes of DP, and Graph is still complex for me, there is some discrete maths I haven't covered up

Alot of languages have them implemented internally but unless you're backend, so of the DSA you would use on FE would be Array

No I don't, I usually jot the high level information and reference Algo materials when working on such in real life.

1 Like

Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by KrazyDave16(m): 2:08pm On Aug 13, 2023
Anonime1105:

The bolded happened to one time, after setting up the best theme in the world (for my mind) one last tweak ruined everything, the experience was very annoying angry
At least you didn't go shopping for a new SSD weeks later.
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by Paystack: 2:45pm On Aug 13, 2023
Qtguru how are you active on Nairaland, Twitter, other tech platforms, handling your jobs, learning new things and updating your diaries.

Seems you're a super super nerd
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by Anonime1105(m): 3:14pm On Aug 13, 2023
KrazyDave16:

At least you didn't go shopping for a new SSD weeks later.

Lol I didn't need to
But I had to reinstall the os
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by BRATISLAVA: 4:05pm On Aug 13, 2023
qtguru:

Yes actually it comes faster to mind, because I've studied however the likes of DP, and Graph is still complex for me, there is some discrete maths I haven't covered up

Alot of languages have them implemented internally but unless you're backend, so of the DSA you would use on FE would be Array

No I don't, I usually jot the high level information and reference Algo materials when working on such in real life.

And this is how we separate wheat from the chaff. You clearly know what to do. You don't seem to need studying. More like reminders. shocked

You mention discrete mathematics a bit... It's clearly an important part of BE. Would you recommend programming as something anyone can learn? Or mostly people going with the client side, which seems relatively easier?
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by qtguru(m): 4:07pm On Aug 13, 2023
Paystack:
Qtguru how are you active on Nairaland, Twitter, other tech platforms, handling your jobs, learning new things and updating your diaries.

Seems you're a super super nerd

You forgot Grandmaster on CODM also,

I have multiple tabs and people working for me. Also I am naturally hardworking and create time for these things, I don't read much and new tech come to me easily, because I research before hand and watched video, it comes with experience.

4 Likes

Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by Adeoye11(m): 8:39am On Aug 14, 2023
Ok thanks have gotten have through all what is been said I will stick to my linux.
But I will try allocate more ram to the Linux and @qtguru I allocated 3gb ram initially.
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by qtguru(m): 4:27pm On Aug 14, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

And this is how we separate wheat from the chaff. You clearly know what to do. You don't seem to need studying. More like reminders. shocked

You mention discrete mathematics a bit... It's clearly an important part of BE. Would you recommend programming as something anyone can learn? Or mostly people going with the client side, which seems relatively easier?

Frontend is easier but it's still needed but it will mostly be array operation you'd deal with alot, that and Map.

Here's a Discrete Math she explained it well
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLl-gb0E4MII0sGLCJeqDB3y63HZ6lM5LJ

1 Like

Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by BRATISLAVA: 5:14pm On Aug 14, 2023
qtguru:

Frontend is easier but it's still needed but it will mostly be array operation you'd deal with alot, that and Map.

Thanks.

Will look at it later.
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by Princefame1: 7:07pm On Aug 14, 2023
airsaylongcome:

I'm sorry I can't provide mentorship or guidance at this point. I'm neck deep in a a study program that I barely have time. I apologise

I truly appreciate your sincerity and I do understand.
I wish you all the best in your program. Thanks.
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by Raylight2(m): 9:17pm On Aug 14, 2023
I rather have Windows and Linux running on the same machine. I conveniently run both whenever and however I want
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by chukwuebuka65(m): 12:27am On Aug 15, 2023
Raylight2:
I rather have Windows and Linux running on the same machine. I conveniently run both whenever and however I want

Why not have two systems one running windows and the other, Linux.
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by steinalb(m): 4:13pm On Aug 15, 2023
chukwuebuka65:
Linux gurus in the house. What advice do you have for me ? How do I get the best out of this OS. I am enjoying the experience so far.

You have made the best choice in your life. In fact, you will never regret it. Since I started using Ubuntu OS, Windows became a joke to me.

1 Like

Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by BRATISLAVA: 9:28am On Aug 17, 2023
qtguru:

This was quite enjoyable. Very enjoyable. That's discrete maths? Sounded much more horrible than that.

Perhaps if a programmer studies something more like anthropology or philosophy, then they would find discrete mathematics difficult/new.
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by qtguru(m): 9:45am On Aug 17, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

This was quite enjoyable. Very enjoyable. That's discrete maths? Sounded much more horrible than that.

Perhaps if a programmer studies something more like anthropology or philosophy, then they would find discrete mathematics difficult/new.

Right she and Kenneth Rosen broke it down, or maybe we've reached that age of understanding so it's easier to break down complex concepts, like Elon mentions First principle theory
Re: I Just Switched To Linux From Windows by BRATISLAVA: 9:58am On Aug 17, 2023
qtguru:

Right she and Kenneth Rosen broke it down, or maybe we've reached that age of understanding so it's easier to break down complex concepts, like Elon mentions First principle theory
Yes.

Very enjoyable. Will be looking at it from time to time. These are the exciting parts of maths.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Visual Basic Expert Please Save A Soul / Help With Java Project / Who Knows About Ladder Logic Programming???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.