Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,441 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:54 PM

How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? (13149 Views)

How Much Do You Spend On Car Fuel Weekly / Is Car Fuel Saver Really Economical? / 5 Common Signs Of A Failing Car Fuel Pump (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by EyeCumInPiece: 12:51pm On Aug 10, 2023
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by casualobserver: 12:57pm On Aug 10, 2023
remi4ever:
I drive an accord type 6 2006. 4 cycl.

This Monday I bought a fuel worth 10k, about 16ltrs, after driving about 25km while the reserve light was on, thus, I've eaten deep into the reserve.

I have driven to the office thrice and now on my odometer, I have a reading of 47miles when my reserve light came on.

If I calculate by this, it means I have done 75.6km, there are no heavy traffic on my route, so IMO this is a very high mileage.

I'm pretty sure the car will still take me back home and back to the office again which is a total of 38km, My car is on an open loop system.

My question is, do you calculate your fuel consumption like this or you do your maths when your tank is completely empty?

Does you car have a trip computer? If it does learn to use it. It will tell you everything you need to know. Most modern cars have trip computers.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by scoobyblogspot(m): 12:58pm On Aug 10, 2023
remi4ever:

This Monday I bought a fuel worth 10k, about 16ltrs, after driving about 25km while the reserve light was on, thus, I've eaten deep into the reserve.

I have driven to the office thrice and now on my odometer, I have a reading of 47miles when my reserve light came on.

If I calculate by this, it means I have done 75.6km, there are no heavy traffic on my route, so IMO this is a very high mileage.

I'm pretty sure the car will still take me back home and back to the office again which is a total of 38km, My car is on an open loop system.

My question is, do you calculate your fuel consumption like this or you do your maths when your tank is completely empty?

Na this government cause all this thing
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by MrJames007: 12:58pm On Aug 10, 2023
Caspry5:
You people are still driving cars??
lol
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Zxcvbnmghtr: 12:59pm On Aug 10, 2023
jeromestarks:
Calculate what?

I only know that the fuel don't last once there's a non virgin in the car because I have to power the A.C due to the foul smell of the over used pvssy.

But with a virgin in the car and the windows up, moving at 110km/hr, my fuel lasts.

Avoid non virgin at all cost or train another man's child.

IGNORANCE. The AC uses gas and not petrol but you are too dull to know this.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Originalsly: 1:03pm On Aug 10, 2023
At topic .... a better average would be if put fuel at the point when the fuel reserve light comes on .... then divide the mileage by the amount of fuel added at the point the light comes on again.
Normally.... with clean fuel .... it is advisable to not let your fuel go below quarter tank since the impurities would be roaming around from that level ... more in the reserve. With the dirty gas in circulation.... it will be advisable to have at least half of a tank.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Akaegwu(m): 1:03pm On Aug 10, 2023
I don't have a car. I calculate my water consumption.

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Ambbayo(m): 1:05pm On Aug 10, 2023
Omo, thanks so much for this information bros...I will give it a try...
paymentvoucher:
We have plenty petrol stations that their fuel burn very fast in ABUJA. There is this fuel station (AFDIN) on your way to Kubwa after AA-Rano, I don't know what they pour in their fuel or where they usually get their fuel but trust me it doesn't consume fast like others.

If I full my tank to the brim, I can use it for days before it comes down to the F sign. But they don't sell fuel regularly. Whenever I see the place open, I buy full tank straight...
embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by blowjohn(m): 1:07pm On Aug 10, 2023
By calculating how much trouble of paucity of funds I can cope with
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by oyeb15: 1:09pm On Aug 10, 2023
I trek most times now and when I get to my destination, I use my fuel money to eat and drink a bottle of Guilder.

Thank God am not alone in d race and d weather is favourable.

God will punish Bola IJN

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Judolisco(m): 1:11pm On Aug 10, 2023
remi4ever:

like 10k fuel took me to Suleja last week, to and fro from kubwa... I also went to Central area from kubwa with it to and fro... Now e don on light..... Toyota corolla 2011

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Judolisco(m): 1:13pm On Aug 10, 2023
paymentvoucher:
We have plenty petrol stations that their fuel burn very fast in ABUJA. There is this fuel station (AFDIN) on your way to Kubwa after AA-Rano, I don't know what they pour in their fuel or where they usually get their fuel but trust me it doesn't consume fast like others.

If I full my tank to the brim, I can use it for days before it comes down to the F sign. But they don't sell fuel regularly. Whenever I see the place open, I buy full tank straight...
na to go find dis afdin oh

1 Like

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by basty: 1:21pm On Aug 10, 2023
Buy full tank, record your Odometer. Make your journey. Take your Odometer. Fill in your tank again. Divide the value of your second full tank is then divided by the the difference of your first and second Odometer. You now get how much you spend per kilometer provided your route is traffic free.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by mu2sa2: 1:23pm On Aug 10, 2023
paymentvoucher:

There 's nothing they can add to petrol for it to burn more efficiently to give a better mileage. Maybe it's a psychological thing on your part or you have a sentimental attachment to that filling station. It could be, though, that the station sells dirty petrol from illegal refineries which puts considerable strain on your engine and you think you are getting a good petrol mileage but it's the engine that's getting a battering working inefficiently.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Caspry5: 1:27pm On Aug 10, 2023
MrJames007:
lol

Me i shock o..for this renewed shege
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Odjirigho: 1:27pm On Aug 10, 2023
i get 85 miles on 10k fuel
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by sleemoon(m): 1:27pm On Aug 10, 2023
I dun park my car now over a month.... Na Bike be the way now.... Buying a Bike soon sef... 9ja mapami naa
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by highchief1: 1:32pm On Aug 10, 2023
remi4ever:

just Dey hustle bros.wetin u Dey calculate.If fuel finish u go buy another one na.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by remi4ever(m): 1:35pm On Aug 10, 2023
Ambbayo:
Omo, thanks so much for this information bros...I will give it a try...

Thanks Bro, the way fuel just evaporates these days.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by remi4ever(m): 1:35pm On Aug 10, 2023
highchief1:
just Dey hustle bros.wetin u Dey calculate.If fuel finish u go buy another one na.

;Dthank you bro. I do not have an issue with fueling, what I want to understand is how the calculations work.

Knowledge is power.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by remi4ever(m): 1:36pm On Aug 10, 2023
Conner44:

Don’t bother calculating, your mpg will definitely be thrash undecided

No wonder.. High time i fix that oxygen sensor.
I'll do more research on open loop systems.

Thanks.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by int0x80(m): 1:37pm On Aug 10, 2023
That's an old car, modern cars show fuel consumption on the dashboard.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by remi4ever(m): 1:40pm On Aug 10, 2023
Odjirigho:
i get 85 miles on 10k fuel

I get it. My question now is 85miles for an empty tank or when the reserve comes on. To do this test I bought 16ltrs and my reserve turned on at 47miles. Now I'm at 51m. It'll get to 60m when I get back home. I don't know how long it'll take to empty out, so i don't know how many l/km to peg it at yet.

Also, my fuel pump was serviced so some fuel was wasted.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by remi4ever(m): 1:42pm On Aug 10, 2023
Judolisco:
like 10k fuel took me to Suleja last week, to and fro from kubwa... I also went to Central area from kubwa with it to and fro... Now e don on light..... Toyota corolla 2011

What's your total mileage?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by remi4ever(m): 1:42pm On Aug 10, 2023
int0x80:
That's an old car, modern cars show fuel consumption on the dashboard.
Yeah

1 Like

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by remi4ever(m): 1:44pm On Aug 10, 2023
scoobyblogspot:

Na this government cause all this thing

Honestly.. Before 5k fuel will take me to the office 4 times a week. Sometimes I give free lift, so that weight adds to the fuel consumption.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by remi4ever(m): 1:45pm On Aug 10, 2023
mejai:

Angrygoat sort this guy out. Which Kain thing b this? grin

Poster, scan ur car abi dey don delete ur check engine light?

Scan for what??

I have an oxygen sensor code, Nothing else.
Im not saying the car is problematic.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by remi4ever(m): 1:46pm On Aug 10, 2023
YeyeGbami:
I get around 100KM from 10Ltrs. If you step on your gas pedal anyhow, your fuel go japa anyhow

Trust me,i drive really well, no instant acceleration or braking. Unlike my colleague.. He accelerates like a mad man when he gets small space.. I told him about how that would affect his mileage, plus he gets 14.9l/100km on this venza 4plug.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by remi4ever(m): 1:48pm On Aug 10, 2023
ify84:
I don calculate this tire. Na stress. Besides, with bad fuel everywhere, you can't really calculate this precisely. Just be managing your movements.

Thanks Broski..
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Angrygoat: 1:51pm On Aug 10, 2023
Me i accelerate like a tiger and i get between 15 and 25 mpg. I do t know what the Bleep is wro g with my fuel guage. I would be opening the tank latwr today.why my guage shows empty is strange. A new pump I got is already doing shigidi for me and car shaking. I'm done with fake ass ngk fake dead ass plugs
remi4ever:

Trust me,i drive really well, no instant acceleration or braking. Unlike my colleague.. He accelerates like a mad man when he gets small space.. I told him about how that would affect his mileage, plus he gets 14.9l/100km on this venza 4plug.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by mu2sa2: 1:54pm On Aug 10, 2023
remi4ever:

I get it. My question now is 85miles for an empty tank or when the reserve comes on. To do this test I bought 16ltrs and my reserve turned on at 47miles. Now I'm at 51m. It'll get to 60m when I get back home. I don't know how long it'll take to empty out, so i don't know how many l/km to peg it at yet.

Also, my fuel pump was serviced so some fuel was wasted.
Is your odometer dial in miles or kilometres? 85miles is about 135 km and I doubt if 16 ltrs can cover that distance in stop-go city driving.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Does A/c Wear Off Car Engine? / Hennessy Unveils The New Venom F5,Which Could Be The 1st Road Car To Hit 300mph / What's Your Favourite Car Name/s?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.