Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,040 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance (4053 Views)

The Top 10 Slowest Animals In The World / 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics / The Ten Deadliest Animals In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by GabbysEcomissio: 9:03pm On Aug 10, 2023
There are some animals that we have primed ourselves to attack first, and ask questions later. These are some of the most hated in the typical Nigerian Household.

1. The Housefly: The buzz this animal makes can be really annoying. Further annoying is their choice of meals (they feed on dead and decomposing organic matter, including sh$T). Yet, without them we'd have a foul smelling environment littered with the smell of dead animals.

2. Mosquito: The Only thing more painful than a mosquito bite is the noise they make around our ears when we're trying to sleep when there is no light. Mosquitoes have their uses, especially in pollination but the most significant uses they have is in creating Anti-Malaria Drugs that they are responsible for. Malaria is caused by the Female Anopheles Mosquito. Another major illness, Yellow Fever is caused by the Aedes Mosquito.

3. Cockroach: If you've ever had a cockroach climb you at Night, then you should be able to use any Alarm Clock in this life. The ones that fly still scare most of us adults. Yet, Cockroaches are a very important source of food to many animals. They are like sacrificial lambs, keeping many animals fed in our ecosystem. Even us Humans eat them. Some people say it is delicious, I haven't tried it though.

4. Rat: These animals are masters at hiding and escaping. They will turn us into Sherlock Holmes in our own Homes. In Nigeria, the infected Multimmammate Rat is responsible for Lassa Fever which kills dozens of people every year. They are also very difficult to get rid of. It is usually War when we see them. I had a friend back in school who left his apartment to come to mine (same compound) because he was invaded by a Huge Bush Rat grin

5. Snakes: We treat snakes like Boko Haram insurgents when we spot them in the Household. Snakes are also attracted by Rats Mostly. The good thing is that they generally avoid contact with us unless they find it a good food source, so keep your homes clean and unattractive to Rats and other potential food sources. We have a variety of snakes in Nigeria, but the most common is the West African Common Household Snake. It is sometimes confused with the Black Mamba because of similarities in their looks. The Common Household Snake is actually not Venomous but the Black Mamba certainly is. Aloe Vera plant is a good natural plant to ward off snakes.

All my Images are sourced from Pixabay and are Copyright free

7 Likes

Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by TemplarLandry: 9:06pm On Aug 10, 2023
smiley

1 Like

Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by GanagiBitrus: 9:14pm On Aug 10, 2023
Surely, the world will be a much better place without mosquitoes and cockroaches.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by Kekydiv(m): 9:17pm On Aug 10, 2023
Hmmm
Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by Englishisamust: 10:38pm On Aug 10, 2023
That houselfy eenh. I use everything dislike aam. Very frustrating animal. I go put food for ground to eat you go dey drag food with me. very stupid animal

3 Likes

Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by OKOATA(m): 11:06pm On Aug 10, 2023
Na Rats you dey spell "Rates".

There's this story way back in school then about a General that told the whole army to get rid of spiders and houseflies in the city, the army did as they were told. Later on a war broke out and the city was invaded, the General was being ambushed while all his men were already killed, he saw an opportunity and ran into a hole while the enemy almost caught up with him.

The hole he ran into was covered in spider webs, it was so much that he had to hide in there even though he hates them. Along the line he got tired and weak due to the exhaustion of running away from his enemies, he fell asleep and forgot the enemy were almost at his feet.

While he was deep in sleep and snoring, fortunately a housefly was attracted to the webhole and flew to where he was sleeping and buzzed into his ears. At that point he woke up and heard the enemy right at the point of the hole, he heard the enemies saying we can't go in here because of too much web, no one can ever be here and that's how they left.

We all have a purpose for being on this very Earth 🌍.

7 Likes

Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by logicalhumour: 11:07pm On Aug 10, 2023
Cats. The only true solution to those bastard rats.

4 Likes

Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by GabbysEcomissio: 11:10pm On Aug 10, 2023
OKOATA:

Thanks for correcting. I'll be sure to always proofread all my write-ups going forward.

1 Like

Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by Omoawoke: 11:20pm On Aug 10, 2023
Lol, I hate them all. πŸ˜‚

Let me rank them the way I hate them

1. Mosquito: I wish all of them can seize to exist

2. Rats: I can’t stand them. They are irritating and very destructive. They are embarrassing too

3. Cockroach: irritating stuffs

4 housefly: they are inactive at nights, so not all that bad. Keep a clean environment and they go away. They are still easier to control

5 Snakes: I feel we encroached their habitats more than they do to us. They just want to live their lives and they didn’t choose to be snakes. They were created to be. As long as they don’t come close, they can live their lives in their own side

1 Like

Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by Omoawoke: 11:30pm On Aug 10, 2023
OKOATA:

There's this story way back in school then about a General that told the whole army to get rid of spiders and houseflies in the city, the army did as they were told. Later on a war broke out and the city was invaded, the General was being ambushed while all his men were already killed, he saw an opportunity and rain into a hole while the enemy almost caught up with him.

The hole he ran into was covered in spider webs, it was so much that he had to hide in there even though he hates them. Along the line he got tired and weak due to the exhaustion of running away from his enemies, he fell asleep and forgot the enemy were almost at his feet.

While he was deep in sleep and snoring, fortunately a housefly was attracted to the webhole and flew to where he was sleeping and buzzed into his ears. At that point he woke up and heard the enemy right at the point of the hole, he heard the enemies saying we can't go in here because of too much web, no one can ever be here and that's how they left.

I just thought of it now.

If not for mosquitos, the Europeans would have taken over west African lands and refuse to leave. They would have annihilated blacks from west Africa and taken over the good soil and abundant resources

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by Omoawoke: 11:39pm On Aug 10, 2023
GanagiBitrus:
Surely, the world will be a much better place without mosquitoes and cockroaches.

Mosquitos fought for Africans against Europeans during colonization.
Think about that

9 Likes

Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by MANNABBQGRILLS: 11:48pm On Aug 10, 2023
Racoons : because of the way they smell like the animal the Yorubas call obuko.

#ThatsAll πŸ˜‰

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by GanagiBitrus: 11:58pm On Aug 10, 2023
Omoawoke:

Mosquitos fought for Africans against Europeans during colonization.
Think about that
Are you saying mosquitos are responsible for Nigeria securing her independence?
Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by Omoawoke: 12:12am On Aug 11, 2023
GanagiBitrus:

Are you saying mosquitos are responsible for Nigeria securing her independence?

If not for mosquitoes, the Europeans would have exterminated blacks off Africa to take over our resources completely. Mosquitoes were the biggest killers of Europeans and made Africa uninhabitable for them

4 Likes

Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by shox(m): 1:20am On Aug 11, 2023
OKOATA:

There's this story way back in school then about a General that told the whole army to get rid of spiders and houseflies in the city, the army did as they were told. Later on a war broke out and the city was invaded, the General was being ambushed while all his men were already killed, he saw an opportunity and rain into a hole while the enemy almost caught up with him.

You’re absolutely joking if you expect anyone serious to contact you with that number πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by Luther0luther: 2:08am On Aug 11, 2023
Geckos, worthy mention

1 Like

Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by iHateFraudsters: 3:59am On Aug 11, 2023
Englishisamust:
That houselfy eenh. I use everything dislike aam. Very frustrating animal. I go put food for ground to eat you go dey drag food with me. very stupid animal

Chai grin

E pain you well well o shocked
Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 5:12am On Aug 11, 2023
No Bedbugs? No Lizards?

Seems you them love in your zones and not attack first..
Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by 9jaBloke: 5:44am On Aug 11, 2023
No mosquitoes No malaria No need for Anti malaria drugs

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by Zimri(m): 6:08am On Aug 11, 2023
THIS ARTICLE IS TRYING HARD TO MAKE US LOVE WHAT WE HATE. grin
Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by GanagiBitrus: 6:08am On Aug 11, 2023
Omoawoke:

If not for mosquitoes, the Europeans would have exterminated blacks off Africa to take over our resources completely. Mosquitoes were the biggest killers of Europeans and made Africa uninhabitable for them
Ok then, enjoy your mosquitoes in peace. As for me & my household, we don't need them. cheesy
Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by wagazala: 6:11am On Aug 11, 2023
You didn't mention the usefulness of Rats.
Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by Nemesis0147(m): 7:43am On Aug 11, 2023
Mosquitoes and cockroaches….those small small cockroaches can be very frustrating.
Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by oneman2k7: 9:15am On Aug 11, 2023
The rats in my house are so intelligent.

Them don get liver now. They no dey fear me again.

They will see me and still be coming to where I dey, it seems we will now be sharing house rent.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by RPG2020(m): 10:09am On Aug 11, 2023
oneman2k7:
The rat in my house are so intelligent.

Them don get liver now. They no dey fear me again.

They will see me and still be coming to where I dey, it seems we will now be sharing house rent.

Kids don't pay house rent grin
Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by Nobody: 11:36am On Aug 11, 2023
Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by Obakoolex(m): 11:59am On Aug 11, 2023
Forget that thing.... without all those you mentioned above the world would be a better place to live undecided
Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by mu2sa2: 12:04pm On Aug 11, 2023
Mosquitoes have no use in the ecological scheme of things, i think. So, even if eradicated completely today there would be no harm to the ecological order. Mosquitoes are entirely useless, just pesky little vermin causing untold misery to humans
Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by mytime24(f): 12:23pm On Aug 11, 2023
Cockroach πŸͺ³ πŸͺ³
Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by kolawolemonsuru: 2:30pm On Aug 11, 2023
USELESS THREAD LIKE PIT-OBI GOING TO COURT WITH 3RD POSITION CLAIMING 1ST POSITION
Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by Telegram234(m): 4:24pm On Aug 11, 2023
You no add Cats.
Re: The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance by b3llo(m): 5:22pm On Aug 11, 2023
You forgot to add lizard.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anyone Know Of A Reputable Baby Daycare/creche In Ikoyi For A 1 Year Old? / Countdown To The Release Of Unilag 2012/2013 Second Batch List. / See The Profession In Nigeria With 100% chance of employment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.