Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,398 members, 7,815,868 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:51 PM

Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria (2097 Views)

NDA: Bandits Killed 2 Officers & Abducted 2 - Defence Headquarters / Stop North-East Soldiers From Using Phones- Ade Adeogun To Defence Headquarters / Defence Headquarters Statement About The Killing Of Policemen By Soldiers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by thisweekng: 1:14am On Aug 12, 2023
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) on Friday said the Nigerian Military has no plan to take over the government in Nigeria.

This is as it revealed that there have been some recent calls from some quarters for the military to intervene in the country’s democracy.

However, the Director of Defence Information, Brigadier General Tukur Gusau in a statement on Friday assured that the armed forces of Nigeria would not execute any coup as the military is better under democracy.

He further described the call on the military to interfere in Nigeria’s democracy as highly unpatriotic and wicked.

Gusau pledged the loyalty of the nation’s military under the leadership of the Chief of Defence Staff, General CG Musa to President Bola Tinubu, adding that they would not be distracted from their constitutional duties.

The full statement reads: “The Defence Headquarters frown at a report being circulated online about welfare issues in the Armed Forces of Nigeria. The report’s call on the military to interfere in our democracy is highly unpatriotic, wicked, and an attempt to distract the Armed Forces of Nigeria from performing its constitutional responsibilities.

“While the leadership of the AFN gives priority to welfare of its personnel however, we detest any attempt by any individual or group to instigate the law-abiding Armed Forces of Nigeria to embark on any unconstitutional change of government in our country.

“We wish to state unequivocally that the military is happy and better under democracy and will not get involved in any act to sabotage the hard-earned democracy in our country.

“The AFN under the leadership of the Chief of Defence Staff, General CG Musa is determined to ensure complete subordination of the Armed Forces to constitutional authority under His Excellency, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and will not be distracted from its roles that are well defined in the 1999 constitution (as amended).

“Thank you for your usual cooperation.”

https://thisweekng.com/defence-headquarters-speaks-on-military-coup-in-nigeria/

Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by ElSudani: 1:27am On Aug 12, 2023
The people who are calling for a coup are cowards who believe they might get their own little country after the ensuing anarchy that is sure to follow such a coup.

9 Likes

Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by BeautyOfIslam: 1:33am On Aug 12, 2023
Igbos here

3 Likes

Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by sagitariusbaby(m): 1:35am On Aug 12, 2023
Shameless loother even worst than civilians. We know how they could easily destroy Boko Haram and bandits but they have allowed it to grow to this level just because of the many they are making out of insecurity. They have no moral right to even think of taking over from the civilian looters

1 Like

Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by princemillla(m): 1:36am On Aug 12, 2023
Lol. Now I know enemy of Nigeria are Nigerians
Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by Davicl: 1:45am On Aug 12, 2023
Lolz no fire with out smoke.... it's looks like it about to go down already grin

8 Likes

Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by Odin13: 2:22am On Aug 12, 2023
Davicl:
Lolz no fire with out smoke.... it's looks like it about to go down already grin

You be old taker.. anything rumor about military intervention in Nigeria .. always follow a denial before the main event..

Nigeria don’t need anything military at this time.. let the court decide.

Russia is about to take over.. no one is privileged to international discussions and high power maneuvering at the world stage..

But for sure .. something is not right ..

The west and East are playing a deadly one ..at the end na humans go die.. no be tress dem cut .

Maybe end time conspiracies..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by NaijaCowFarm: 2:39am On Aug 12, 2023
Believe army generals at your own perils. here is a story of interest about Major Daniel Idowu Bamidele of blessed memory:

"In October 1983, Major Daniel Idowu Bamidele heard of coup rumours against President Shehu Shagari and promptly reported to his General Officer Commanding (GOC), Major-General Muhammadu Buhari (who, unknown to Bamidele at that time, was in the thick of the plot).
A week later, Bamidele found himself on a plane to Lagos, detained by the Directorate of Military Intelligence at Tego Barracks and was accused of plotting a coup against Shagari.
Fake witnesses were paraded and a mock interrogation contrived, while reports were being made to the Nigerian Security Organisation (then under Umaru Shinkafi) to mislead the Shagari regime.
Meanwhile, the real plot continued underground with the full involvement of the same Military Intelligence group that was interrogating him. Finally, on November 25, 1983, with no credible witness to nail him, and no legal basis to charge him for a one-man conspiracy, Bamidele was released. He returned to Jos, befuddled about what had actually transpired, until on January 1, 1984, his own GOC, Buhari, to whom he had reported the plot, emerged as the new Head of State!

Learning from his ordeal in 1983, Bamidele had kept quiet about any coups. However, in 1985, the Major was arrested (for failing to report the alleged Vatsa coup conspiracy), tried by a special military tribunal, and executed by firing squad on March 5, 1986, along with others such as Major-General Mamman Vatsa.

Bamidele's words to the tribunal were:
"I heard of the 1983 coup planning, told my GOC General Buhari who detained me for two weeks in Lagos. Instead of a pat on the back, I received a stab. How then do you expect me to report this one? This is not self-adulation but a sincere summary of the qualities inherent in me. It is an irony of fate that the president of the tribunal who, in 1964, felt that I was good enough to take training in the UK is now saddled with the duty of showing me the exit from the force and the world." -

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by limeta(f): 4:08am On Aug 12, 2023
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) on Friday said the Nigerian Military has no plan to take over the government in Nigeria.

Boko haram going on almost 10 years
Truly you defence headquarters by name only
Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by shortgun(m): 4:57am On Aug 12, 2023
Anytime they issue public statements just know something is brewing behind the scenes.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 5:24am On Aug 12, 2023
If that Guy takes Nigeria to war without evacuating the more than 300000 IDP and the rest while WESTERN NATIONS pushing Nigeria to war are evacuating their own citizens, then that guy must be removed at all cost.

Evacuate your citizens like the people pushing you to war...

NDI ALA
Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 5:24am On Aug 12, 2023
ElSudani:
The people who are calling for a coup are cowards who believe they might get their own little country after the ensuing anarchy that is sure to follow such a coup.

Minority speesh
Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by orisa37: 5:39am On Aug 12, 2023
They should be IDENTIFIED AND ROUNDED UP TO FACE FIRING SQUADS.
Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by KGBKremlin: 5:47am On Aug 12, 2023
AlfajiriAfrika:
Democracy is the only option for Nigeria.

Please watch my YouTube video and subscribe to my channel. I just dropped a video where I analyzed the political developments in the Sahel Region and the trend of coups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytUiZZLHHGw

Because people like you are lawless people
Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by Yankee101: 6:32am On Aug 12, 2023
All these big men go hear nwen if it happens
And pushing soldiers to niger may trigger it
A real war will destabilize the north and they will do everything to prevent that

1 Like

Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by LOVEGINO(m): 6:36am On Aug 12, 2023
thisweekng:

This is as it revealed that there have been some recent calls from some quarters for the military to intervene in the country’s democracy.

However, the Director of Defence Information, Brigadier General Tukur Gusau in a statement on Friday assured that the armed forces of Nigeria would not execute any coup as the military is better under democracy.

He further described the call on the military to interfere in Nigeria’s democracy as highly unpatriotic and wicked.

Gusau pledged the loyalty of the nation’s military under the leadership of the Chief of Defence Staff, General CG Musa to President Bola Tinubu, adding that they would not be distracted from their constitutional duties.

The full statement reads: “The Defence Headquarters frown at a report being circulated online about welfare issues in the Armed Forces of Nigeria. The report’s call on the military to interfere in our democracy is highly unpatriotic, wicked, and an attempt to distract the Armed Forces of Nigeria from performing its constitutional responsibilities.

“While the leadership of the AFN gives priority to welfare of its personnel however, we detest any attempt by any individual or group to instigate the law-abiding Armed Forces of Nigeria to embark on any unconstitutional change of government in our country.

“We wish to state unequivocally that the military is happy and better under democracy and will not get involved in any act to sabotage the hard-earned democracy in our country.

“The AFN under the leadership of the Chief of Defence Staff, General CG Musa is determined to ensure complete subordination of the Armed Forces to constitutional authority under His Excellency, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and will not be distracted from its roles that are well defined in the 1999 constitution (as amended).

“Thank you for your usual cooperation.”

https://thisweekng.com/defence-headquarters-speaks-on-military-coup-in-nigeria/
lazy sojaz
Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by a4cube: 6:42am On Aug 12, 2023
NaijaCowFarm:
Believe army generals at your own perils. here is a story of interest about Major Daniel Idowu Bamidele of blessed memory:

"In October 1983, Major Daniel Idowu Bamidele heard of coup rumours against President Shehu Shagari and promptly reported to his General Officer Commanding (GOC), Major-General Muhammadu Buhari (who, unknown to Bamidele at that time, was in the thick of the plot).
A week later, Bamidele found himself on a plane to Lagos, detained by the Directorate of Military Intelligence at Tego Barracks and was accused of plotting a coup against Shagari.
Fake witnesses were paraded and a mock interrogation contrived, while reports were being made to the Nigerian Security Organisation (then under Umaru Shinkafi) to mislead the Shagari regime.
Meanwhile, the real plot continued underground with the full involvement of the same Military Intelligence group that was interrogating him. Finally, on November 25, 1983, with no credible witness to nail him, and no legal basis to charge him for a one-man conspiracy, Bamidele was released. He returned to Jos, befuddled about what had actually transpired, until on January 1, 1984, his own GOC, Buhari, to whom he had reported the plot, emerged as the new Head of State!

Learning from his ordeal in 1983, Bamidele had kept quiet about any coups. However, in 1985, the Major was arrested (for failing to report the alleged Vatsa coup conspiracy), tried by a special military tribunal, and executed by firing squad on March 5, 1986, along with others such as Major-General Mamman Vatsa.

"I heard of the 1983 coup planning, told my GOC General Buhari who detained me for two weeks in Lagos. Instead of a pat on the back, I received a stab. How then do you expect me to report this one? This is not self-adulation but a sincere summary of the qualities inherent in me. It is an irony of fate that the president of the tribunal who, in 1964, felt that I was good enough to take training in the UK is now saddled with the duty of showing me the exit from the force and the world." -
That is Nigeria for you. A man worth celebrating is the one they sent to early grave. Same still happens till this day.

1 Like

Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by Akasammyoka: 7:27am On Aug 12, 2023
Africa are finally losing it. Very soon Democracy will be shelved for Military rule become it is now government of the rich by rich and for the rich.
Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by Racoon(m): 7:32am On Aug 12, 2023
There is no smoke without a fire.
Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by Racoon(m): 7:35am On Aug 12, 2023
NaijaCowFarm:

I remember this story very well. We were in 3 Armoured Division Jos then. Military coup is always a game of deception.

When you start hearing rumour of coup or coup baiting then know that the real thing is smothering underneath. Thank you jare

1 Like

Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by Passionnn: 7:45am On Aug 12, 2023
No coup plotter would admit he is planning one.
That it is even being discussed as an issue shows that there could be red flags here and there

1 Like

Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by mamaafrik(m): 7:52am On Aug 12, 2023
At this point I think it is needed that Russia itself openly come out to support Niger, not only with words.
The European countries and their Western allies need to see Putin releasing like 3_5 Nuclear submarines from Moscow heading towards West Africa and European coasts,standing on standby ready for action.
only this singular move of releasing nuclear-armed submarine even if it is just two to the west African Coast targeting i Lagos and Abuja and two release through the Strait of Europe aiming European cities will stop and silence the war cry from the west .

Also this will stop the nonsense Confrontation that Nigeria and ECOWAS are Wailing on Niger.
Just like what was done to support Cuba then and aiming towards Berlin,Paris,London,Lagos and Abuja,they won't dare attack Niger.
they say a stitch in time saves nine, Russia need to stop being discrete,they need to do it openly and send strong signal and message to the west if they truly want Brics nation to see that they have a good ally and i an very sure no Nigerian will want a Nuclear armed submarine apapa aiming towards Lagos and Abuja and no European want submarines very close to their seas aiming towards maybe Germany and Switzerland .
their country Representatives in the Parliament Will wake up against the war move and silence these their greedy leaders.
Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by Davicl: 8:15am On Aug 12, 2023
Odin13:

You be old taker.. anything rumor about military intervention in Nigeria .. always follow a denial before the main event..

Nigeria don’t need anything military at this time.. let the court decide.

Russia is about to take over.. no one is privileged to international discussions and high power maneuvering at the world stage..

But for sure .. something is not right ..

The west and East are playing a deadly one ..at the end na humans go die.. no be tress dem cut .

Maybe end time conspiracies..

Indeed you know Nigeria very well, I don't wish Nigeria any military coup because it's always bloody here but at the same time I don't have hope in Nigeria court, the future is really bleak...............
Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by kilmot: 8:37am On Aug 12, 2023
Those clamouring for coup in Nigeria are either kids or were little kids when Nigeria had it's last share.
Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by aswani(m): 8:45am On Aug 12, 2023
kilmot:
Those clamouring for coup in Nigeria are either kids or were little kids when Nigeria had it's last share.

Obidients are like those people openly celebrating their next door neighbours house is on fire instead of calling the fire brigade or helping to douse the flames.
Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by Perfectbeing(m): 9:06am On Aug 12, 2023
Davicl:
Stuck in the past. There can be smoke without fire. That's why we have smoke machines.
Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by Perfectbeing(m): 9:08am On Aug 12, 2023
NaijaCowFarm:

Source please
Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by Davicl: 9:09am On Aug 12, 2023
Perfectbeing:
Stuck in the past. There can be smoke without fire. That's why we have smoke machines.

Keep smoking
Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by maticar: 9:11am On Aug 12, 2023
Passionnn:
No coup plotter would admit he is planning one.
That it is even being discussed as an issue shows that there could be red flags here and there
All I know is that 53% of nigeriêns are hausa, kanuri and Fulani 6%.

Of course northerners are more in the army and plenty speak hausa too

Hmmmmmmmm
Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by Perfectbeing(m): 9:11am On Aug 12, 2023
Racoon:
There is no smoke without a fire.
Grow up. This is 3rd decade of the 21st century. There can be smoke without fire. There's something called a smoke machine
Re: Defence Headquarters Speaks On Military Coup In Nigeria by maticar: 9:12am On Aug 12, 2023
Perfectbeing:
Grow up. This is 3rd decade of the 21st century. There can be smoke without fire. There's something called a smoke machine
Dey play

(1) (2) (Reply)

CSU President: If Elections Were Held Today, Tinubu Won't Win 5% Of Lawful Votes / What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland / What Changes Are You Expecting From The New Finance Minister?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.