Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,322 members, 7,815,625 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland (2096 Views)

Zahra Buhari Resumes #inconversationwithzahra Show After Months Of Silence / Comparing Yoruba & Igbo Relationship On Nairaland And Off Nairaland / Why Aisha Buhari Returned To Nigeria After Months In Dubai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by LocalStandard1(m): 10:13pm On Apr 10
I decided to post this as I noticed a total mental, emotional and general transformation about myself after being off Nairaland for literally months. first long time off since I discovered the forum more than a decade ago. Maybe you too can learn something.

- NIGERIA--- Firstly not reading real time news about Nigeria and knowing what goes on in the country and what happens or doesn't has made me realize it is Nigerians and there "leaders" that are the biggest problems with a very negative view point about everything and each other. The opportunities everywhere are very immense and with a population of well over 200 million there are no limits and only very few can match the market . Being too engulfed with Nairaland has a way of brainwashing you to believe you're better off leaving Nigeria and life is better anywhere else but here.

-TRIBAL AFFILIATED SENTIMENTS--- I just bought a business from an Igbo person, he trusted I would do better and trusted me from Kaduna State even more than two other interested candidates who're of his tribe, maybe even same State of origin. Consciously or unconsciously every Nairaland members is almost far gone on tribal bigotry, every. And I have learned the most ignorant but very dangerous people are tribal bigots and jingoists. Nairaland recruits them and sustains them, they're so far gone they would never know how much.

- SELF HATE --- The most racism on Black People you can find is among Nairaland members, nobody hates Black people in general and Africans in particular like Nairalanders and Nigerians. What makes it overwhelming is they themselves are both Black people and Africans. The self-hate and self-demeaning nature is so shocking I begin to wonder "should I fight the Whites and Asians against racism and educate them about African and Black people's history or fight and educate fellow Nigerians first?"

Coupled with the fact the White-worship on Nairaland is something I've never seen anywhere else other than among other Nigerians in person. Everyone want some kind of White-approval online I begin to wonder "are they writing this comment or post for some foreigners here? "

- "GENDER WARS"--- One of the most pitiable state you can be in is being a gender warrior and I thought only young guys here are gender warriors till I realize even married women here too seem to engage in it and by extension looking like they disdain their so-called "husbands", and I pray the singles just remain that way so as not to burden someone else with such unfounded venom. I pity and I fear!
Nairaland promotes, encourages, sustains and feeds on the hate of the other gender you're not one of. It seems like only for laughs but it is actually pitiable, sorry state of mind.

-THE STATS SHOWS HOPE --- I am satisfied when I looked at the Nairaland stats and saw that a majority of the members no longer come online, with less than 1,700 online at any given time of day, it shows majority are tired and want no part in what seems to be comfortably pushed.

I think Nairalanders most realize you can never win the internet, and it is not healthy for any aspect of your life this intense internet negativity you project but it takes from you more than you know and far more than you will ever admit.

Trust me, I very much know. Better luck!

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by immortalcrown(m): 10:15pm On Apr 10
Emotion overrides reasoning on this forum.

Sentiments are placed above facts on the forum.

Your personality and your tribe on the forum change based on the perceptions of your comments. If you say the truth and it favours Tinubu or his tribe, you are tagged a Yoruba. If your say the truth and it favours Obi or Kanu, you are tagged IPOB.

If a rape allegation on the forum lacks cogent evidence and you point it out, you are tagged a rape apologist.

If you condemn toxic masculinity on the forum, you are a "simp".

If you condemn the biase ideologies some women use against the male gender on the forum, sad women here will try to influence mods to ban you.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by illicit(m): 10:28pm On Apr 10
I love Nairaland

🥰

1 Like

Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by Balablue64: 10:38pm On Apr 10
Actually i no longer read political news in Nigeria, i just skip quickly glance through and pass.

4 Likes

Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by GreatVocalist: 10:45pm On Apr 10
A little digression here.

I think people should learn to use words properly, before using them, to avoid embarrassment.

One of those words is "literally". It seems if people don't use that word in a sentence, then that sentence isn't complete. If you're going to overuse it, at least use it properly.

For example, the writer here says "literally months". The word "literally" means, "expressed in its exact form, not metaphorical or figurative in any sense".

If you say that you were offline for literally months, then you imply that the word "months" in that context is figurative, which of course isn't what you were trying to communicate. Therefore, the word "literally" was absolutely unnecessary in that sentence.

The word "literally" is used in cases that seem figurative, but can actually be expressed in a real sense. For example, you can say "he literally kicked the bucket".

Using the word in this context would help the reader understand that you're not trying to say that the person died (which is the actual meaning of the sentence), but that he really kicked the bucket. The word "literally" is performing its function here. See?

English dey sweet, but make we learn to use words properly. Sorry for stating this here, and it's probably unnecessary, but I've seen this too often. I think it's okay to correct people on these things, to avoid embarrassment.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by LocalStandard1(m): 4:49am On Apr 11
GreatVocalist:

I think people should learn to use words properly, before using them, to avoid embarrassment.

One of those words is "literally". It seems if people don't use that word in a sentence, then that sentence isn't complete. If you're going to overuse it, at least use it properly.

For example, the writer here says "literally months". The word "literally" means, "expressed in its exact form, not metaphorical or figurative in any sense".

If you say that you were offline for literally months, then you imply that the word "months" in that context is figurative, which of course isn't what you were trying to communicate. Therefore, the word "literally" was absolutely unnecessary in that sentence.

The word "literally" is used in cases that seem figurative, but can actually be expressed in a real sense. For example, you can say "he literally kicked the bucket".

Using the word in this context would help the reader understand that you're not trying to say that the person died (which is the actual meaning of the sentence), but that he really kicked the bucket. The word "literally" is performing its function here. See?

English dey sweet, but make we learn to use words properly. Sorry for stating this here, and it's probably unnecessary, but I've seen this too often. I think it's okay to correct people on these things, to avoid embarrassment.
For someone who neither his father nor mother is British and you only see one "complex" mistaken use of word in a long post, I am happy so far. But you're right, I use the word too much even I try to limit it. Thank you.

10 Likes

Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by helinues: 4:52am On Apr 11
grin
Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by helinues: 4:56am On Apr 11
GreatVocalist:

So all this long epistle is only about literally without even contributing to the topic.

Too cheap from you bro

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by Vinnie2000(m): 5:16am On Apr 11
OP, Blame APC Agbad0rians.😒

They are the ones that Polluted this Nairaland, just like their Father Buhari POLLUTED the country.😟

Some Mor0ns amongst them now say that tinibu is trying to Fix the country.🤦

Ask them, From the MESS created by WHO? 😏😕

1 Like

Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by predictor1: 5:24am On Apr 11
helinues:

So all this long epistle is only about literally without even contributing to the topic.

Too cheap from you bro
He actually said something important. At least a few people would learn something from what he said.

6 Likes

Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by helinues: 5:26am On Apr 11
predictor1:
He actually said something important. At least a few people would learn something from what he said.

Learn ordinary literally with that long epistle .. 7 paragraphs

Literally only.. What?

Can't you see that's what op is talking about regarding the behavior of some members

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by GreatVocalist: 5:29am On Apr 11
helinues:

Too cheap from you bro
Yeah lol, I was already reading the post, but the word caught my attention so early. It needed an extensive explanation. You have no idea how much people have abused that word. It's sickening.
Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by predictor1: 5:29am On Apr 11
helinues:

Learn ordinary literally with that long epistle ..

Literally only.. What?
Don't be petty. Nigerians misuse words a lot. People react to bad grammar differently. He said what he had to say to the OP, who reacted maturely. Oga, rest.

2 Likes

Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by helinues: 5:30am On Apr 11
GreatVocalist:

Yeah lol, I was already reading the post, but the word caught my attention so early. It needed an extensive explanation. You have no idea how much people have abused that word. It's sickening.

Well, it's not a direct bashing towards you just considering the sensitivity of it regarding the topic

1 Like

Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by helinues: 5:32am On Apr 11
predictor1:
Don't be petty. Nigerians misuse words a lot. People react to bad grammar differently. He said what he had to say to the OP, who reacted maturely. Oga, rest.

You are not even getting the points. So all those long epistle without even responding to the topic itself...

It's something common on this forum for people to leave the message and be talking something else. More like part of op's message.

Where is the guy's contribution to the topic with the epistle?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by predictor1: 5:47am On Apr 11
helinues:

You are not even getting the points. So all those long epistle without even responding to the topic itself...

It's something common on this forum for people to leave the message and be talking something else. More like part of op's message.

And where is your own contribution to the topic? So in essence the only difference between you and the guy is that your own attack on him is shorter than his own correction of the OP.

4 Likes

Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by helinues: 5:49am On Apr 11
predictor1:
And where is your own contribution to the topic? So in the long run the only difference between you and the guy is that your own attack on him is shorter than his own correction of the OP.

I didn't write any long epistle for distraction. That's the difference.

If I was to right something about the thread, that attitude of people leaving the comments and be talking something else would have been part of.
Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by GreatVocalist: 6:49am On Apr 11
helinues:

Well, it's not a direct bashing towards you just considering the sensitivity of it regarding the topic
No problem, thank you.

Anyway, I had absolutely no intention to spite anyone or degrade their intelligence. To whomever it concerns, I hope they see it as a correction, not otherwise.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by GreatVocalist: 6:54am On Apr 11
helinues:

Learn ordinary literally with that long epistle .. 7 paragraphs

Literally only.. What?

Can't you see that's what op is talking about regarding the behavior of some members
Really? I think you're making a big fuss out of nothing.

I didn't attack the OP, I only made an obvious correction. What's the deal with that? Besides, you haven't contributed to the topic yourself, so why the criticism over something you're guilty of?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by GreatVocalist: 7:01am On Apr 11
LocalStandard1:

For someone who neither his father nor mother is British and you only see one "complex" mistaken use of word in a long post, I am happy so far. But you're right, I use the word too much even I try to limit it. Thank you.
Oh lol, sorry but the word piqued my interest, and I felt a sudden urge to address that. Sorry for the digression.

2 Likes

Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by beejaay: 7:35am On Apr 11
helinues:
grin
Excerpt from the OP post

". And I have learned the most ignorant but very dangerous people are tribal bigots and jingoists. Nairaland recruits them and sustains them, they're so far gone they would never know how much."

The above is for people like you.. You and others like @Freestuffng that thrive on destroying the country with your small pea brain that knows nothing but hatred and division amongst good people of the country, exacerbating every little differences that exist...

5 Likes

Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by helinues: 7:36am On Apr 11
beejaay:

Excerpt from the OP post

". And I have learned the most ignorant but very dangerous people are tribal bigots and jingoists. Nairaland recruits them and sustains them, they're so far gone they would never know how much."

The above is for people like you.. You and others like @Freestuffng that thrive on destroying the country with your small pea brain that knows nothing but hatred and division amongst good people of the country, exacerbating every little differences that exist...

That's your own personal opinion which I can't do sh.it about

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by CrossRhodes: 8:02am On Apr 11
helinues:

Stop taking medicine for another's ailment..
The OP got the message and reacted well.

You are part of the persons he is complaining about with this attitude you always show on this here nairaland.
Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by predictor1: 9:46am On Apr 11
helinues:

I didn't write any long epistle for distraction. That's the difference.

If I was to right something about the thread, that attitude of people leaving the comments and be talking something else would have been part of.
That's exactly what I said. That's the only difference between you. But while the Op and everyone else learnt nothing from your own post, the OP himself acknowledged the other guy. So your own post was less relevant than the guy's own.
Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by predictor1: 9:52am On Apr 11
CrossRhodes:

Stop taking medicine for another's ailment..
The OP got the message and reacted well.

You are part of the persons he is complaining about with this attitude you always show on this here nairaland.
That's what we told him but he seems very obstinate and keen on getting the last word.
Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by AcadaWriter: 12:14pm On Apr 11
I love Nairaland🥰
Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by poshestmina(f): 1:03pm On Apr 11
helinues:

You are the combined embodiment of EVERYTHING the Op is talking about...

2 Likes

Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by Greenback: 1:19pm On Apr 11
Seun allows his mod project nairaland in bad light so much

1 Like

Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by JagabanB: 1:34pm On Apr 11
GreatVocalist:

Nigerians love using the word "literally" even when it is not supposed to be there, had this talk with someone few days ago and it felt like I was showing off.
Many people writing articles and posts don't actually know how to write, someone will start a topic about "problem with Nigerian education sector", he will write paragraphs upon paragraphs without mentioning the problems that once solved, the sector will be functional.
Nigerians need to learn write.
Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by Melagros(m): 1:56pm On Apr 11
COMRADES, I agree with you on most of your presentation especially on the last paragraph, to be honest, nairaland number is drastically declining because the founder has allowed bigotry to take over the forum
Another observation I have is that; nairaland has become an affiliation of the ruling APC because of sentiment. Anti tinubu or APC's post hardly makes it to the front page
Further more, nairaland is reduced to a mere political forum, everyday what you read is; Atiku said, Obi said, tinubu said, wike said etc. You rarely find discovery here anymore, no more soft news, no more bylines etc.
I remember, before, if I was making an inquiry on Google, Google would refer me to nairaland for some clues, but, today reverse is the case

In fact, today, nairaland's content has declined by 50%
Please sir @Seun take note of this

1 Like

Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by DonXavi(m): 2:17pm On Apr 11
helinues:

That's your own personal opinion which I can't do sh.it about
That is not just his opinion, he spoke the mind of many. I have been on Nairaland for over 14 years. I used to wonder the kind of person you are, based your contributions here. Sometimes I wonder how people like you sleep at night.
Re: What I Learned After Months Of Being Off Nairaland by ComputerOperato: 3:01pm On Apr 11
immortalcrown:
Emotion overrides reasoning on this forum.

Sentiments are placed above facts on the forum.

Your personality and your tribe on the forum change based on the perceptions of your comments. If you say the truth and it favours Tinubu or his tribe, you are tagged a Yoruba. If your say the truth and it favours Obi or Kanu, you are tagged IPOB.

If a rape allegation on the forum lacks cogent evidence and you point it out, you are tagged a rape apologist.

If you condemn toxic masculinity on the forum, you are a "simp".

If you condemn the biase ideologies some women use against the male gender on the forum, sad women here will try to influence mods to ban you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Boko Haram Strikes Again! 'Nigerian Bank And Police Station Attacked In Katsina' / What Changes Are You Expecting From The New Finance Minister? / The Yoruba Agenda For A New Race

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.