Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,888 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

Wal-mart In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Wal-mart In Nigeria (4097 Views)

Wal-mart In Nigeria: A Threat To Economy And Democracy / Why Shoprite Is Beating Wal-mart In Africa Stakes / Harrods, Wal-mart, Mc DonaldĀ“s And Others Head For Tinapa City In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wal-mart In Nigeria by igbo2011(m): 11:34am On Oct 12, 2011
If there was a Wal-Mart in Nigeria, then do you think that it would be a good idea?

As of right now, I wouldn't like the idea because most of the products that are in most stores are made outside of Nigeria. This would create jobs outside of Nigeria (probably Asia).

But, if everything in Wal-Mart was made in Nigeria then I think that it would be very good for Nigeria. Wal-Mart buys in big bulks and the Nigerian supplies will make a lot of money. Instead of the people in the informal economy (street sellers) selling in the market. Those people can join the formal economy and start producing more. This will create many jobs. Wal-Mart can also provide many jobs, but it might destory Shop-Rite and the other Nigerian department stores.

So what do you guys think, good or bad idea?
Re: Wal-mart In Nigeria by obua: 5:08pm On Oct 12, 2011
Walmart is technically in Nigeria.
They bought Massmart which owns Game
Re: Wal-mart In Nigeria by dchoosen(m): 5:24pm On Oct 12, 2011
@obua i love your signature, i think my signature will help to boost ur ministry.
Re: Wal-mart In Nigeria by hamziwhiz(m): 11:30pm On Oct 12, 2011
Chei!, Wal-mart in Nigeria?, I doubt if we are ready for one, it will only increase our consumption rate instead of production.
Re: Wal-mart In Nigeria by AmakaG29(f): 1:56pm On Oct 13, 2011
Yes, you are right^

Walmart Nigeria would be most successful if they processed visas
Re: Wal-mart In Nigeria by Rhoo: 2:20pm On Oct 13, 2011
@obua. its not a done deal yet. south african government wants stricter rules imposed on the deal for wal-mart to source goods at local suppliers.
Re: Wal-mart In Nigeria by HighChief4(m): 2:35pm On Oct 13, 2011
If Walmart was in Nigeria, their production site will be in Ghana while the shops will be in Nigeria. The unstable power must have discouraged a lot of investors
Re: Wal-mart In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:38pm On Oct 13, 2011
igbo2011:

If there was a Wal-Mart in Nigeria, then do you think that it would be a good idea?

As of right now, I wouldn't like the idea because most of the products that are in most stores are made outside of Nigeria. This would create jobs outside of Nigeria (probably Asia).

But, if everything in Wal-Mart was made in Nigeria then I think that it would be very good for Nigeria. Wal-Mart buys in big bulks and the Nigerian supplies will make a lot of money. Instead of the people in the informal economy (street sellers) selling in the market. Those people can join the formal economy and start producing more. This will create many jobs. Wal-Mart can also provide many jobs, but it might destory Shop-Rite and the other Nigerian department stores.

So what do you guys think, good or bad idea?

if they bring a walmart to Nigeria they would prefer to make their goods in Nigeria simply cos of the cost of having to ship from asia which is extremely far from Nigeria but the problem to that is that,we do no have constant power supply so it might be actually cheaper for them to go manufacture in ghana or asia b4 they bring it here
Re: Wal-mart In Nigeria by Guardian(m): 5:12pm On Oct 13, 2011
Whenever I learn of Big name franchise coming to Nigeria. I Laff my head off and weep for my people. Why ?

Because some smart head Indian is the one masquerading with the Franchise and at the end, we find the shops filled with low quality, cheap articles from India and china.

Makes me wonder, because the high and mighty, Rich and famous with all their exposure outside the country are the people who first rush in to patronize these setup. SAD !!!
Re: Wal-mart In Nigeria by razznaija(f): 5:52pm On Oct 13, 2011
this might be a good idea but i don't think that they would last long because they would spend a lot of money buying fuel.
Re: Wal-mart In Nigeria by Guardian(m): 9:17pm On Oct 13, 2011
razznaija:

this might be a good idea but i don't think that they would last long because they would spend a lot of money buying fuel.

Razz, don't bother your head the Indians and other foreign are good at doing business in Nigeria. They simply pass the operational cost onto the buyer ( Nigerian ) smiley)
Re: Wal-mart In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 9:33pm On Oct 13, 2011
Wal-Mart is already in Nigeria via Game.
They're doing pretty okay, I would say. Mind you, they carry both local and foreign goods. You find local brands like Milo and Indomie in there. Those products are made in Nigeria.
Re: Wal-mart In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:57pm On Oct 13, 2011
At some point it would be cheaper to produce items locally than ship from Asia.labor is way cheaper in West Africa, on
Guardian:

Whenever I learn of Big name franchise coming to Nigeria. I Laff my head off and weep for my people. Why ?

Because some smart head Indian is the one masquerading with the Franchise and at the end, we find the shops filled with low quality, cheap articles from India and china.

Makes me wonder, because the high and mighty, Rich and famous with all their exposure outside the country are the people who first rush in to patronize these setup. SAD !!!

Most stuff in western countries IS made in China, so stop the hating. the thing is they produce two tiers. one expensive and the other cheaper, so technically even ur iphone and blackberry and other labels you consider top quality are made in Asia, quit knocking Asia . even the most reliable cars are made in Asia . Most Americans won't drive a US made car.

Walmart would create jobs in Nigeria.
Re: Wal-mart In Nigeria by delpee(f): 10:48pm On Oct 13, 2011
Shoprite which is also a foreign franchise patronises local suppliers a lot. Local fresh fruits, vegetables, fish, chicken, snails, ponmo etc are available there with an inhouse bakery where people queue for freshly baked bread. I wish Game would do the same but they seem to concentrate more on imported products.
Re: Wal-mart In Nigeria by Guardian(m): 9:09am On Oct 14, 2011
ATLgal:

At some point it would be cheaper to produce items locally than ship from Asia.labor is way cheaper in West Africa, on
Most stuff in western countries IS made in China, so stop the hating. the thing is they produce two tiers. one expensive and the other cheaper, so technically even your iphone and blackberry and other labels you consider top quality are made in Asia, quit knocking Asia . even the most reliable cars are made in Asia . Most Americans won't drive a US made car.

Walmart would create jobs in Nigeria.

ATLgal,
I don't have the time or reason to hate. We all know very well that majority of quality goods are made in China. Mark you, they don't just produce 2 grades, there are more ( North America, Europe, Asian Market, Middle -East and Africa. I work with the Chinese and I should be educating you.
My grouse is, Nigeria sadly is market place for the lowest of the shitty produce from Chinese mushroom export companies. And as I said earlier the affluent and movers of our society including well traveled Nigerians rush to patornize the shitty products even in High brow Supermarkets and shops.

Comprende !!
Re: Wal-mart In Nigeria by member479760: 12:01pm On Oct 14, 2011
that will be nice, if you buy fake computer you can return it without headache.
Re: Wal-mart In Nigeria by Gbenge77(m): 3:30pm On Oct 14, 2011
you wish.
Re: Wal-mart In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 3:52pm On Oct 14, 2011
Guardian:

ATLgal,
I don't have the time or reason to hate. We all know very well that majority of quality goods are made in China. Mark you, they don't just produce 2 grades, there are more ( North America, Europe, Asian Market, Middle -East and Africa. I work with the Chinese and I should be educating you.
My grouse is, Nigeria sadly is market place for the lowest of the shitty produce from Chinese mushroom export companies. And as I said earlier the affluent and movers of our society including well traveled Nigerians rush to patornize the shitty products even in High brow Supermarkets and shops.

Comprende !!

Well . . . we don't make anything anyway, so it's a bit odd for us to be classifying products.
Good or shitty, which one can we make?
Re: Wal-mart In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:22pm On Oct 14, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Well . . . we don't make anything anyway, so it's a bit odd for us to be classifying products.
Good or shitty, which one can we make?
Guardian:

ATLgal,

I see both your points, but it's about what people can afford, you can buy the same crap in North American market

To the other guy. .that SO doesn't make sense, .Just because we don't make it doesn't mean we should PAY for bad stuff, we are making the money to buy those products aren't we? , and guess what Aba boys a more than capable of producing better if there was the infrastructure and if buy Nigerian wasn't just lip service.

again, it's about the market. if there's a demand for crap then it will be produced. same reason we see knock offs of designer stuff.

Comprende !!

(1) (Reply)

LOL!!! You Will Not Believe What This Guy Did At Shoprite, Ilorin (photo) / Transcorp Board Reconstituted: Are They Ready To Fly? / Make 1000$ In A Few Weeks With Gram For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.