Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,201 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:32 AM

Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu (27666 Views)

Edo Deputy Governor Shaibu Begs Obaseki For Forgiveness / Edo Deputy Governor, Shaibu, Attempts To Force His Way Into Governor's Office / Obaseki: My Convoy Was Attacked In Oshiomhole’s Ward (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by Bobloco: 3:13am On Aug 13, 2023
•Says gov is victim of political jobbers

Less than 24 hours after Edo State governor, Godwin Obaseki, opened up on the crisis between him and his deputy, Comrade Philip Shaibu, the latter has said his boss is a victim of political jobbers.

He said there is no rift between him and the governor, describing reports to that effect as the imagination of fifth columnist.

Obaseki had accused Shaibu of working against his interest, describing the situation as a “coup” against him.

He made the allegation in Jattu during a meeting with elders and leaders from Etsako West, East and Central Local Government Areas of the state.

The governor said: “My deputy called the leader in APC, telling that leader that during the elections on the next day, particularly the Speaker of the House of Assembly, that he has five members who are loyal to him and that he would like the seven members of APC to work with his five members of PDP to produce the next speaker.

“As far as I am concerned, that was not working in our common interest.

“Why would the deputy governor seek to have another speakership candidate outside of what the governor wants? Are we working together?

“That was when I knew we had a problem. The deputy governor has become so desperate to take over. He would do anything, including carrying out a coup.”

But Shaibu while briefing his aides, yesterday, dismissed the allegations as baseless, saying they are malicious attempts by those he described as political jobbers hell-bent on misleading the governor.

He said the aim of those behind the development is to damage his reputation and sow seeds of discord between him and the governor.

According to Shaibu, political jobbers sold the coup dummy to the governor whom he referred to as his ‘elder brother’ to provoke more crises so they could profit from it.

He said it is preposterous to contemplate a coup against a man who has given him so much latitude to operate.

Shaibu reiterated his unwavering loyalty to Governor Obaseki and the Peoples Democratic Party,PDP, PDP, adding that it is a privilege to serve as Obaseki’s deputy in the last seven years.

“Governor Obaseki and myself are committed to the continued development of Edo State. We are united in our determination to build a prosperous and inclusive society. I call on all well-meaning individuals to reject these divisive narratives and join in the quest to transform Edo State into a model of sustainable development and good governance. Edo State PDP politicians should embrace peace and seek unity to fight the common enemy,” one of his aides who was at the meeting quoted him as saying.

He said: “Any insinuation that he harbours ulterior motives or seeks to undermine the governor’s leadership is nothing short of a fabrication.

“I have consistently advocated for policies and initiatives that align with this administration’s goals and aspirations. It is disheartening to see such baseless allegations being propagated, as they only serve to distract the administration from its primary objective of serving the people of Edo State.”

The deputy governor urged the media and the public to approach these allegations with scepticism, while he encouraged all to focus on the issues that truly matter to the people of Edo State.

Shaibu said he remains an unrepentant democrat who believes in the democratic process and respects the mandate given to Governor Obaseki and himself by the people of Edo State.

He said the allegation that he would consider a ‘coup’ to overthrow a democratically elected government is not only absurd but also deeply offensive.

Meanwhile, fresh facts emerged at the weekend that contrary to earlier allegations, the deputy governor did not refuse to join the governor in the selection of commissioners in Etsako.

According to a top PDP source from the state, the governor had on that day sent his deputy to proceed to Edo North to resolve some political issues.

The source said:”He was on his way when the Chief of Staff to the governor called that the governor needed his attention in Benin.

“The deputy allegedly told the CoS to inform the governor that he was already close to Afuze axis to address the issue he directed him to do. The governor allegedly acknowledged this call.

“The appointment of political office holders is the prerogative of the governor. Therefore, if a governor decides to allow his deputy to nominate candidates to fill any position, it is a privilege. But political jobbers who also include hack writers have generated more lies from the pit of hell, saying that Rt. Hon. Comrade Philip Shaibu has perfected plans to rejoin the All Progressives Congress, APC, next week. There is no iota of truth in this.

“To further put a lie to this, the spin doctors claimed that the APC National Working Committee, NWC is set to receive him in Abuja. The question here for the discerning minds is that, is it the NWC of a party that receives a decampee into the party? Shaibu has never minced words, vowing to sink and swim with his principal, Governor Godwin Obaseki. This, he has said severally at public fora.

“These evil men have come up with unbelievable accusations like coming late to state Executive Council meetings, attempting to slap the Secretary to the State Government, being the brain behind feuds between Comrade Adams Oshiomhole and the governor as well as befriending Nyesom Wike and Dan Orbih among others.

“In view of this, I plead with these characters bent on driving a wedge between Comrade Philip Shaibu and his boss, Governor Godwin Obaseki, to put the Edo project and the people far above their own selfish interests.’’

The frosty relationship between the duo came to the limelight following Shaibu’s suit at the Federal High Court, Abuja, where he sought to prevent an alleged impeachment plot

Shaibu, in an ex parte motion filed on July 28, asked the court to restrain the defendants from preventing him from carrying out his role as deputy governor.

According to the court documents, the Inspector-General of Police, state security service, governor of Edo, Speaker of Edo State House of Assembly, and Chief judge of Edo State, were listed as 1st to 5th defendants respectively.

The deputy governor asked the court to restrain the governor, the Speaker of the state assembly and the Chief Judge, from “initiating impeachment proceedings or sanctioning any impeachment” against him. Shaibu

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/08/alleged-coup-against-obaseki-my-story-deputy-governor-shaibu/amp/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by Nwodosis(m): 3:19am On Aug 13, 2023
The Governor and his deputy are shying away from the truth! Shaibu wants to succeed Obaseki and Obaseki says "NO".

107 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by richie240: 3:29am On Aug 13, 2023
When you made life a hell for your mentor (osho-baba) did u 'tell us ur story'?

We are not interested.
Tell ur tales to d obidients who were cheering u on as u betrayed ur benefactor, perhaps they'll have listening ears, after all......
#'4+4 togba'
#'Edo nor be lagos'
cool

54 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by ecolime(m): 3:46am On Aug 13, 2023
The story of two traitors

66 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by whizzler: 3:47am On Aug 13, 2023
This guy who was the next biggest thing in Edo state politics may soon fizzle into obscurity. Life!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by FairlyUSEDpussy: 4:23am On Aug 13, 2023
G
Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by Klington: 5:12am On Aug 13, 2023
Nigeria politics is all about personal interest.

Now APC has add greed, wickedness, selfishness, lying, manipulation, blackmailing, killing, destruction etc it

Nigerian politicians are evils and demons.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by sotall(m): 5:13am On Aug 13, 2023
cool

Its all politics.

Watch this thread for agbado miscreants comments saying rubbish about Obaseki .

Even their lord the drug dealer and ex-female student of chicago university had his deputy removed from office when he was governor of Lagos.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by DenreleDave(m): 5:16am On Aug 13, 2023
Coup and counter coup for Edo. A state where the deputy and his governor are at logger head, how can they progress?

All these will lead to the detriment of Edo people but even Edo people don't care as long as they keep shouting
Edo no be Lagos

The other time, Edo people were celebrating on nairaland for ordinary street light and I shook my head cry cry cry cry

If i were to be from Edo, I would wish Edo be like Lagos even though Lagos isn't perfect and it is till developing

Edo people should not allow themselves to be played in between the majority tribes war.

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by Whalis: 5:19am On Aug 13, 2023
You can't win.
Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by Racoon(m): 5:20am On Aug 13, 2023
After Edo no be Lagos, it is now a coup within a coup

15 Likes

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by DEXTROVERT: 5:21am On Aug 13, 2023
I
Remember
The
Banter

Edo
No
Lagos

Now
Eyes
Don
Clear

Breakfast
Is
Almost
Ready
To
Be
Served

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by Nobody: 5:21am On Aug 13, 2023
Why am I seeing married men viewing by this time? Likes of Gaby and co, I now believe phone is the major cause of marital problems these days. Husbands that are supposed to be cuddling or having sex with their wife are with their phones browsing Nairaland

3 Likes

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by yomalex(m): 5:21am On Aug 13, 2023
Hmm
Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by DenreleDave(m): 5:22am On Aug 13, 2023
Racoon:
After Edo no be Lagos, it is now a coup within a coup

You are now a saint abi. Were you not part of the people instigating Edo no be Lagos mantra, so now you are excluding yourself...?

My advice to Edo people:

The people of Edo should know how to care about themselves first before they think of any other tribe be it Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa...

45 Likes

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by yinkus6750(m): 5:23am On Aug 13, 2023
He hasn't said ANYTHING.
Is he ambitious to take over from his boss?
Who is the anointed candidate?
Both of them and PDP will surely loose.
Osho Baba and APC on one side, Elu P Benin people on another side.
E go RED

7 Likes

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by DenreleDave(m): 5:23am On Aug 13, 2023
IconicR:
Why am I seeing married men viewing by this time? Likes of Gaby and co, I now believe phone is the major cause of marital problems these days. Husbands that are supposed to be cuddling or having sex with their wife are with their phones browsing Nairaland

What if wife is not at home? She don lie for her husband say she go night vigil but na man house she go grin grin

43 Likes

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by Chibuzoripob: 5:23am On Aug 13, 2023
grin FAKE STORY.Otogba,ogbanne grin grin.

4 Likes

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by isycollins(m): 5:24am On Aug 13, 2023
This is politics for you, no permanent friend and no permanent enemy, they should think of developing edo state as a whole

3 Likes

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by theophorus(m): 5:27am On Aug 13, 2023
Eeyah! Philip, sorry ooo.
Obaseki don dey show you wetin him do him other benefactors.

Obaseki wen get 1yr left as Govnor still dey create unnecessary wahala because na wetin him be be that.

Sorry ooo, Mr. Philip, just manage for now ehn, all will soon be over. This na lesson to others, avoid Toxic people ooo.

8 Likes

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by Chinjo2: 5:28am On Aug 13, 2023
If Shaibu was not guilty of all the allegations as he claimed, why did he take the governor to the court? That in itself is even enough reason to impeach him.

He took Obasekis meekness for weakness.

15 Likes

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by Chinjo2: 5:31am On Aug 13, 2023
DenreleDave:
Coup and counter coup for Edo. A state where the deputy and his governor are at logger head, how can they progress?

All these will lead to the detriment of Edo people but even Edo people don't care as long as they keep shouting

The other time, Edo people were celebrating on nairaland for ordinary street light and I shook my head cry cry cry cry

If i were to be from Edo, I would wish Edo be like Lagos even though Lagos isn't perfect and it is till developing

Edo people should not allow themselves to be played in between the majority tribes war.

Are you saying other senatorial zones don't have what it takes to produce governors in Edo state?
In case you don't know, Edo has three senatorial zones. Edo South, Edo Central and Edo North.

1. Edo South has produced Igbinedion (8 years), Obaseki (7 years plus)
2. Edo Central produced Osunbor but his victory was upturned after a year in office.
3. Edo North produced Oshiomhole (8 years)

Looking at this breakdown, are you saying Edo central does not deserve to produce the next governor? Or are you saying there are no competent people from Edo Central to govern the state?

Shaibu is just being greedy and selfish. After 18 years in government what else does he want? House of Assembly for 8 years, House of reps 18 months, Deputy Governor 7 years and still counting.

It is the need for inclusiveness that made leaders of thought to opt for rotational presidency.

Till tomorrow, Edo can never be Lagos where one man from another state sit somewhere to decide the destiny of indigenes. Baba sope, baba sope.

10 Likes

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by Mynd44: 5:33am On Aug 13, 2023
IconicR:
Mynd44 if you were married you won't be here moving topics to front page by this time that you should be cuddling your wife. Go And Marry oga moderator
Find me one na.

Don't derail further please……if you want to drag my singleness, open a thread to marry me off. cheesy

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by Nobody: 5:37am On Aug 13, 2023
Mynd44:

Find me one na.

Don't derail further please……if you want to drag my singleness, open a thread to marry me off. cheesy
You must sha marry this year, I'm off to the mountains in that regards.

4 Likes

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by cpu2006(m): 5:40am On Aug 13, 2023
Klington:
Nigeria politics is all about personal interest.

Now APC has add greed, wickedness, selfishness, lying, manipulation, blackmailing, killing, destruction etc it

Nigerian politicians are evils and demons.

Let me shock you . .
Immidiate past IG is contesing for senator in Yobe
Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by AmotekunSW: 5:56am On Aug 13, 2023
No one gives a hoot about you Shuaibu.

You are a worthless toilet paper, used to be dumped.

5 Likes

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by tishbite42: 5:57am On Aug 13, 2023
IconicR:
As funny as you may sound, you just said the bitter truth

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by Chinjo2: 5:57am On Aug 13, 2023
theophorus:
Eeyah! Philip, sorry ooo.
Obaseki don dey show you wetin him do him other benefactors.

Obaseki wen get 1yr left as Govnor still dey create unnecessary wahala because na wetin him be be that.

Sorry ooo, Mr. Philip, just manage for now ehn, all will soon be over. This na lesson to others, avoid Toxic people ooo.

Edo no be Lagos where all we hear is baba sope.

In case you don't know, it is Shaibu that betrayed his brother Oshiomhole and now he has betrayed his boss. Did you watch Oshiomholes reaction where he told Shaibu that APC is neither a rehabilitation center or an IDP camp and also adviced him to be loyal to his boss? What can you make of that statement?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alleged ‘Coup’ Against Obaseki: My Story – Deputy Governor, Shaibu by tishbite42: 6:00am On Aug 13, 2023
I'm not interested in any cock and rooster story
Edo Central for Governor

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Two Killed As Herdsmen Attack Amotekun Corps, Vigilantes In Oyo / Oladele Ademola Samuel Renovates A Well As His Constituency Project In Ekiti / Amaechi Cancels Visit To Wike's Ward

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.