Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,237 members, 7,815,316 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit (9904 Views)

Mastercard To Adopt Cryptocurrency As Payment Option / UBA Partners With Mastercard To Reward Loyal Customers With All-expense Paid / Zenith Bank Partners Facebook, Mastercard To Pioneer QR Payments On Messenger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by nlfpmod: 8:52am On Aug 14, 2023
Africa’s biggest phone firm sees shares rise 6,6% on deal

Deal done at decent valuation in context of global payments

MTN Group Ltd., Africa’s biggest wireless carrier, said Mastercard Inc. agreed to take a minority stake in its financial-technology business, which the company values at $5.2 billion.

Signing of the definitive investment agreements is expected to occur in the very near term,” MTN Chief Executive Officer Ralph Mupita said in a statement on Monday.

Africa’s young, tech-savvy population are increasingly using their mobile phones to bridge gaps in services including banking. That’s opened a lucrative and fast-growing space in the fintech sector for wireless carriers. Much of the attention to date has been on mobile-payment systems, with a wave of fast-growing startups including Flutterwave Inc. and Interswitch Ltd. emerging in the industry.

MTN rivals including Airtel Africa Plc, Nairobi-based Safaricom Plc and South Africa’s Vodacom Group Ltd. are all at various stages of transforming from basic voice and text mobile use to digitalization, with a broad aim of separating and monetizing the businesses in the longer term.

Airtel has already brought in Mastercard as an investor in its mobile-money unit. India’s Jio Platforms Ltd., the digital arm of billionaire Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Industries Ltd., set an earlier precedent by attracting capital from Facebook Inc. and Silver Lake Partners in 2020.

MTN has said previously it plans to raise 25 billion rand ($1.3 billion) from asset sales. Its most recent disposals include the sale and lease-back of its South African mobile-phone towers and a plan to sell some of its West African assets. It also has a stake in New York-listed tower owner IHS Holding Ltd. that it may sell down, although the tower firm’s low trading prices and a dispute with its management has delayed any sale in the near-term.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-08-14/mastercard-to-buy-stake-in-mtn-s-5-2-billion-fintech-unit#xj4y7vzkg

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by jeff1993: 8:57am On Aug 14, 2023
WOW .... first to comment in over 10 years.... I want to give my vote of thanks

First I want to thank Myself

My third thanks go to APC miscreants .... may they continue to suffer and those wey wan JAPA, make dem dey decline their Visa application for flimsy reasons. Reasons like they are SS , reason like they dont have oesophagus!!!

Finally I want to thank our Presidooo for making us miss Daddy Bubu ... I pray he gets the wisdom to invade Niger so everywhere go Dabaru for am!!!

Lastly may Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech unit favor me and my family.!!!

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by BarrElChapo(m): 8:58am On Aug 14, 2023
🤔
Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by Jahwinaboy(m): 8:58am On Aug 14, 2023
Good one
Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by BarrElChapo(m): 8:59am On Aug 14, 2023
jeff1993:
Bb

About to type the usual may it favour you and your family quote ?

5 Likes

Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by EKONGKING: 8:59am On Aug 14, 2023
American tech companies and financial companies are investing huge amounts of money to capture future growth, which will happen in Asia and Africa

1 Like

Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by wittywriter: 8:59am On Aug 14, 2023
So much money to milk in tech...

Shoutout to fellow online earners...keeping the grind in a smart way.

Wittyness
Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by Almiron: 8:59am On Aug 14, 2023
Here we go….

1 Like

Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by Akfrenzy(m): 9:01am On Aug 14, 2023
angry
Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by inoki247: 9:01am On Aug 14, 2023
Lol them wan come cashout like that ..
Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by Akfrenzy(m): 9:01am On Aug 14, 2023
angry 🙄
Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by tishbite42: 9:02am On Aug 14, 2023
God
I wan enter tech o
See cool money
Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by Nyne: 9:02am On Aug 14, 2023
MTN milked Nigeria so dry. Without Nigeria, MTN can never be this rich. A foreign company for that matter.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by Hopebringer: 9:03am On Aug 14, 2023
Was a watching this on CNN some minutes ago and was just telling a friend this is smart business .

My mtn shares looking like bae to me now 😎

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by Eagle360(m): 9:04am On Aug 14, 2023
I have nothing to say

Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by fuckJones(f): 9:04am On Aug 14, 2023
grin
jeff1993:
WOW .... first to comment in over 10 years.... I want to give my vote of thanks

First I want to thank Myself

My second thanks go to my Parents for raising a son like me

My third thanks go to APC miscreants .... may they continue to suffer and those wey wan JAPA, make dem dey decline their Visa application for flimsy reasons. Reasons like they are SS , reason like they dont have oesophagus!!!

Finally I want to thank our Presidooo for making us miss Daddy Bubu ... I pray he gets the wisdom to invade Niger so everywhere go Dabaru for am!!!

Lastly may Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech unit favor me and my family.!!!
Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by MrsTwrite(f): 9:06am On Aug 14, 2023
Good innovation
Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by paymentvoucher: 9:06am On Aug 14, 2023
grin
Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by Okiemute101: 9:07am On Aug 14, 2023
Tech is the new oil.....
It is unlimited...
More billion dollar transactions to come...
Stop playing... hop in let's ride!

I just wan learn am sha 😂...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by McStoic(m): 9:07am On Aug 14, 2023
Mega investment
Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by Wealthoptulent(m): 9:08am On Aug 14, 2023
Lolz "o to ge"
Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by WannaHowzit(m): 9:09am On Aug 14, 2023
Nyne:
MTN milked Nigeria so dry. Without Nigeria, MTN can never be this rich. A foreign company for that matter.

Get off your high horse. MTN doesn't need Nigeria as much as Nigeria needs MTN. It's a global business.

You people like overstating Nigeria. You said Shoprite or DSTV would collapse without Nigeria but Shoprite is doing just fine without your country. Instead you're the ones suffering 🤣🤣🤣

4 Likes

Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by windofchange: 9:16am On Aug 14, 2023
This is what Reni Omokri is saying.
Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by BoldBrainz(m): 9:17am On Aug 14, 2023
WannaHowzit:

Get off your high horse. MTN doesn't need Nigeria as much as Nigeria needs MTN. It's a global business.

You people like overstating Nigeria. You said Shoprite or DSTV would collapse without Nigeria but Shoprite is doing just fine without your country. Instead you're the ones suffering 🤣🤣🤣

Quite weird how you literally make a life off talking down on Nigeria, while on the "nairaland" platform.

Some of us watch your internet theatrics with bemusement and recognise that the feel you get here, might be your only real adrenaline boost as a South African citizen with very limited liberties.

That said, it is no news that Nigeria is MTN's biggest market. Any change in that status quo, is going to see the shares and fortunes of the telecom giant, plummeting to insane depths. So you and your likes, ought to accord some measure of respect to Nigeria.

That you find us bickering with ourselves and calling out our government over bad leadership doesn't avail you the audacity to join in the fray, especially while you enjoy the services on nairaland for free.

Learn some ethics!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by Solsix(m): 9:20am On Aug 14, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Quite weird how you literally make a life off talking down on Nigeria, while on the "nairaland" platform.

Some of us watch your internet theatrics with bemusement and recognise that the feel you get here, might be your only real adrenaline boost as a South African citizen with very limited liberties.

That said, it is no news that Nigeria is MTN's biggest market. Any change in that status quo, is going to see the shares and fortunes of the telecom giant, plummeting to insane depths. So you and your likes, ought to accord some measure of respect to Nigeria.

That you find us bickering with ourselves and calling out our government over bad leadership doesn't avail you the audacity to join in the fray, especially while you enjoy the services on nairaland for free.

Learn some ethics!
Advice of the Year

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by WannaHowzit(m): 9:23am On Aug 14, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Learn some ethics!

You also make a life baselessly talking up Nigeria. If MTN losses the Nigerian market it will open shop elsewhere - it's a global business. The world doesn't start and end on your street.

You said Shoprite will collapse without Nigeria but it's posting record profits and opening 250+ new stores. Instead you're the ones left shopping in dirty open-air markets 😂😂😂

Get a life.

2 Likes

Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by aklid(m): 9:27am On Aug 14, 2023
Nyne:
aswearugard guy… asin ehhn e Dey pain me how globacom is not the leading provider in our country but MTN a foreign South African one, sha Nigerians are always known to not patronize their local things

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by Zubby2005(m): 9:27am On Aug 14, 2023
I've heard many ppl say that other African countries data plans are cheaper compared to Nigerian, the thing is that MTN are giving us what the like cause there's no competition.
If there is, they would likely behave.
I spend nothing less than 10k on data monthly and my company spends up to 900k monthly just for internet, they're milking us

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by pol23: 9:27am On Aug 14, 2023
Nice.
Imagine every industry in Nigeria is as successful as the Telecommunications…
Imagine our local league booming the way our Afrobeat is doing.
Imagine the agriculture industry is exporting the way the oil industry is exporting .
Imagine our Education is top notch the way our churches are.
Imagine our banking industry dominate the African space the way our youth are running and being chase from one African country to another.
Just imagine a Nigeria without those Bokoharam and herdsmen.
We can imagine from today till tomorrow… nothing is going to change if we don’t change as a person, as a community, as a family and as a country.
Our leaders has failed 100%.
Who’re this stupid leaders… They’re your parent, they’re my uncle, they’re your brothers and sisters, they’re my in-law,they’re our friends… They’re everywhere around us… But we never say the truth to their eyes, we’re all part of the problem.
You that you’re reading this text is a member of APC or PDP, you’re close to a senator ,You’re close to close to a governor or local government chairman .
You’re a policeman or Lasma (we all know 99.99% of you’re corrupt)
I actually have a family member who’s a lastma officer and a pro APC member… we fight most of the time because I won’t stop putting it to their face…
To some extent we all deserve what we get as a nation…
Now we’re all trying to runaway after we’ve run the country to the ground…
It’s pathetic how our selfishness and stupidity has crippled one of the best country on Earth… God suppose punish us.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by aklid(m): 9:29am On Aug 14, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Learn some ethics!
exactky, MTN largest business is in Nigeria a man with common sense knows this no mind am 😂

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mastercard To Buy Stake In MTN’s $5.2 Billion Fintech Unit by BoldBrainz(m): 9:31am On Aug 14, 2023
WannaHowzit:

You also make a life baselessly talking up Nigeria. If MTN losses the Nigerian market it will open shop elsewhere - it's a global business. The world doesn't start and end on your street.

You said Shoprite will collapse without Nigeria but it's posting record profits and opening 250+ new stores. Instead you're the ones left shopping in dirty open-air markets 😂😂😂

Get a life.

I was sorely mistaken.
You're not an intelligent internet user. You're an unhinged troll.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Questions Unemployed Nigerians Are Asking About Freelancing / How Do I Start A Frozen Foods Business In Nigeria / First Bank ATM Transfer Limit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.