Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,128 members, 7,821,865 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing (25119 Views)

Seplat To Deliver 13 New Oil & Gas Wells In 2024 / Spar Shopping Mall In Calabar Collapses, Customers Feared Trapped (Video) / SEPLAT Contravenes Local Content Policy With Foreign MD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by lomprico(m): 8:53am On Aug 16, 2023
NuCypher:
It's not a seplat oil rig. It's a depthwise oil rig working for seplat. Depthwise is a Nigerian drilling company. These guys like many other Nigerian drilling contractors bring in near dead rigs which are twice as likely to fail or suffer an accident

You see am! And when some people say ' may Nigeria not happen to me' they feel uneasy! Common maintenance they will not do until the thing fails and that's how almost everything is handled in Nigeria. It's really unfortunate.

RIP to the dead. : angry

2 Likes

Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by okito: 8:53am On Aug 16, 2023
I know the Managing Director of Depthwize, Uche Dimiri and a good number of management of the company, having worked as Drilling Supervisor on the rig when it came in brand new 2012. They don't joke with HSE...never! It is unfortunate that this has happened but let's wait for the investigation report as a lot of things could have gone wrong. Accidents happen in different industries even in the most advanced countries of the world so, let's not make this a Nigerian thing. May the soul of the departed find eternal rest whilst we pray that the missing crew members are found alive.

5 Likes

Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by Nicolo360: 9:02am On Aug 16, 2023
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
They must had probably noticed some cracks before this incidence......But you know how black man works .........

Until the damage has been done,they won't react....

Read first, it was on transit before the accident happened.
Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by Taigaban: 9:04am On Aug 16, 2023
As a safety officer I am interested in the root cause of this incident. Seun and other nairalanders, please report every bit of investigation of this incident. I know sailing through the creek they may have taken up the jacket legs higher than usual. Lack of dynamic balancing and positioning of the jacket legs could have caused a tilt making one side heavier than others, eventually leading to capsizing the vessel. Again if the remaining jacket legs inside the water stuck to the mud while the vessel is being pulled it could also caused such incident. Just my suggestions of possible root cause.

2 Likes

Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by id4sho(m): 9:06am On Aug 16, 2023
okito:
I know the Managing Director of Depthwize, Uche Dimiri and a good number of management of the company, having worked as Drilling Supervisor on the rig when it came in brand new 2012. They don't joke with HSE...never! It is unfortunate that this has happened but let's wait for the investigation report as a lot of things could have gone wrong. Accidents happen in different industries even in the most advanced countries of the world so, let's not make this a Nigerian thing. May the soul of the departed find eternal rest whilst we pray that the missing crew members are found alive.
Can you give a brief insight on how rigs are transported, I know it's quite a gigantic structure or was it reassembled on sight?
Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by abba190: 9:07am On Aug 16, 2023
Triangles1:
Oil money oil death, I pray to God, whenever I want to die, God should make it peace full for me.

I don't like pains.
u dont like pains? then u shouldnt have come to this world cuz life is full of pain

1 Like

Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by oweniwe(m): 9:08am On Aug 16, 2023
Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by humblespirit: 9:10am On Aug 16, 2023
sleek214:

You guys can be very foolish. So because you hate the present government, you now celebrate evil. Is Tinubu the president of US that saw a city(Maui) in Hawaii completely destroy with over 1,000 people missing and over a hundred bodies recovered. For the opposition (PDP, LP & others) we mustn't condemn everything the govt does, most especially the Obidients., Learn to criticise the bad ones and appreciate the good ones. To Tinubu supporters, you mustn't praise everything Tinubu does because you want to spite the opposition, please criticise when the government does wrong and praise the government when it does the right thing. That's the only way we can move this country forward.
At last , som1 with brain don talk
Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by id4sho(m): 9:10am On Aug 16, 2023
Taigaban:
As a safety officer I am interested in the root cause of this incident. Seun and other nairalanders, please report every bit of investigation of this incident. I know sailing through the creek they may have taken up the jacket legs higher than usual. Lack of dynamic balancing and positioning of the jacket legs could have caused a tilt making one side heavier than others, eventually leading to capsizing the vessel. Again if the remaining jacket legs inside the water stuck to the mud while the vessel is being pulled it could also caused such incident. Just my suggestions of possible root cause.
Interesting. Am a layman, can a rig transport itself or it was towed
Why the huge crew on board?
Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by bewla(m): 9:12am On Aug 16, 2023
chatinent:
May Nigeria not happen to me..God abeg
Are you better then us

Chop. Kuli kuli and drink garri
Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by Sleeky2020(m): 9:24am On Aug 16, 2023
I see the negligence of apply the right safety standard. I guess no TUG or ROV used in transporting the rig. Quite painful for the loss.
Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by Gist4u: 9:40am On Aug 16, 2023

1 Like

Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by Successlane: 9:46am On Aug 16, 2023
jeff1993:
May Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing favor me and my family

ARRANT NONSENSE !!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by Olaxbolax100: 9:59am On Aug 16, 2023
sleek214:

You guys can be very foolish. So because you hate the present government, you now celebrate evil. Is Tinubu the president of US that saw a city(Maui) in Hawaii completely destroy with over 1,000 people missing and over a hundred bodies recovered. For the opposition (PDP, LP & others) we mustn't condemn everything the govt does, most especially the Obidients., Learn to criticise the bad ones and appreciate the good ones. To Tinubu supporters, you mustn't praise everything Tinubu does because you want to spite the opposition, please criticise when the government does wrong and praise the government when it does the right thing. That's the only way we can move this country forward.

We need people like you with sense
Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by Donpenny(m): 10:16am On Aug 16, 2023
Work hazard is commom to all field of endeavour. It doesn't have anything to do with Government
Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by MrPRevailer(m): 10:41am On Aug 16, 2023
This was an attack.

A global war is being waged on fossil fuels by the WEF, U.N and Nigeria under Tinubu is aiming to meet her sustainability goals which consequently means impoverishing the masses.
Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by Menclothing: 10:42am On Aug 16, 2023
This happens all over the world pray for safety and work with best practices

Chinos 6k
Jeans 6500

All sizes
Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by Sholuwa241: 11:12am On Aug 16, 2023
One person died and 3 other persons missing big lie , just this morning I listing to Radio Delta 88.6 FM ,where one of the personality that was the guest at the studio given a clear information of what happened at the site , please don't ask me if he was at d site as at the time d incident happens , this information is correct because he said there where over 123 people at that Oil plate form as at the time the incident happen this is true , the Company won't give the real report because of their image too and surviving workers too won't speak to Media too because they also want to protect their work so you c it is not possible for one person to have die there and this Seplate Company , arcoding to the guest at the Studio the Seplat don't have good safety standard remember 88.6 FM , is a State radio station .
Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by Sk5050: 12:10pm On Aug 16, 2023
Porksupplyib:
Accidents happen everywhere in the world. May God keep us safe as we seek our daily bread.
Amen 🙏🏾
Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by walozanga(m): 12:43pm On Aug 16, 2023
sleek214:

Did the guy mention tinubus name? Is Tinubu Nigeria?
Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by Atonsboy(m): 1:49pm On Aug 16, 2023
NuCypher:
It's not a seplat oil rig. It's a depthwise oil rig working for seplat. Depthwise is a Nigerian drilling company. These guys like many other Nigerian drilling contractors bring in near dead rigs which are twice as likely to fail or suffer an accident

NuCypher. This is a brand new rig. Delivered to Nigeria for depthwise in 2011. It started operating In 2012. I know because I was one of the crew staffs that moved and started operated this rig in 2012. I can tell you for free. Safety is of the highest standards on Depthwise rigs. Its an unfortunate accident and pray for the dead and d guys missing because these are men I worked with. Great men.

1 Like

Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by Fearyourcreator: 2:08pm On Aug 16, 2023
sleek214:

Everybody dey fight for him pocket ni... Many are hypocrites
Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by ubox: 2:40pm On Aug 16, 2023
BRATISLAVA:
"Collapsed" versus capsized.

The image doesn't depict a collapse.
Finally someone that doesn't only read headlines..
Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by Martinsmine(m): 2:54pm On Aug 16, 2023
This is a lie..... 10 people died includin my cousin... 1 white man... why will news say 1 died... 3 missing...
Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by Martinsmine(m): 2:56pm On Aug 16, 2023
Brand new rig my foot... a brand new rig still struggling to get rig stabilizer... called 4days ago for it and it wasnt delivered and they left the people to keep up their shifts....
Atonsboy:

NuCypher. This is a brand new rig. Delivered to Nigeria for depthwise in 2011. It started operating In 2012. I know because I was one of the crew staffs that moved and started operated this rig in 2012. I can tell you for free. Safety is of the highest standards on Depthwise rigs. Its an unfortunate accident and pray for the dead and d guys missing because these are men I worked with. Great men.

1 Like

Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by Martinsmine(m): 2:58pm On Aug 16, 2023
Very correct bro.... poor standards.. over 13people gone.. if not 20
Sholuwa241:
One person died and 3 other persons missing big lie , just this morning I listing to Radio Delta 88.6 FM ,where one of the personality that was the guest at the studio given a clear information of what happened at the site , please don't ask me if he was at d site as at the time d incident happens , this information is correct because he said there where over 123 people at that Oil plate form as at the time the incident happen this is true , the Company won't give the real report because of their image too and surviving workers too won't speak to Media too because they also want to protect their work so you c it is not possible for one person to have die there and this Seplate Company , arcoding to the guest at the Studio the Seplat don't have good safety standard remember 88.6 FM , is a State radio station .
Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by Martinsmine(m): 2:59pm On Aug 16, 2023
Bro its true.... i lost an uncle their..
oweniwe:

An Oil company?

At the the expense of their investments and personnel lives? Do you have any idea of how much that rig costs to say that cutting corners?

That can't be true because it doesn't make any sense
Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by NuCypher: 4:01pm On Aug 16, 2023
Atonsboy:

Yes, it's an unfortunate incident. Sad that at least one person died.
I also worked on oil rigs in Nigeria. You can't sell it to me that Depthwize supposedly holds itself to high safety standards. I used to be safety manager on several rigs in Nigeria, South Africa and some other West African countries. Knowing what I know on how lackadaisical Nigerian employers treat safety issues, it won't surprise me much if some lapse is what led to this incident. It shouldn't happen and there's no excuse for it. Those who work on rigs know the amount of planning that should go into any towing operation. This incident shows no planning went into this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by NuCypher: 4:03pm On Aug 16, 2023
Atonsboy:

What are you even trying to defend sef? Some news already emanating that the number of dead is being underreported.
Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by Taigaban: 4:05pm On Aug 16, 2023
id4sho:

Interesting. Am a layman, can a rig transport itself or it was towed
Why the huge crew on board?
Yeah Rig is often towed. Why they likely have that number is because the Work Crew is fully mobilise to site.
Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by id4sho(m): 5:02pm On Aug 16, 2023
Taigaban:
Yeah Rig is often towed. Why they likely have that number is because the Work Crew is fully mobilise to site.
Thanks so much
Re: Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing by finallybusy: 5:07pm On Aug 16, 2023
What a sad occurrence. Nigeria is always slow to replace old facilities. I’m sure they were pushing past the lifespan of the installation.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Naira Trades At ₦1,520 Per Dollar / 5 Achievable Business Ideas For Stay-at-home Mums / Man Publicly Drags Nigerian Businesswoman For 1000$ Debt In Istanbul

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.