Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,865 members, 7,817,562 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election (15362 Views)

Ighodalo to Shaibu: I had no involvement in your removal as Deputy-Gov / Obaseki To Shaibu: Dropping Your Guber Ambition, Only Pathway To Reconciliation / Tinubu Supporters Rock Emilokan And Jagaban Haircuts (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by ijustdey: 6:31am On Aug 16, 2023
Emilokan, a Yoruba word which means “it is my turn”, was made popular by President Bola Tinubu during his campaign for the 2023 election.

The feud between Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State and his deputy, Philip Shaibu, has continued to degenerate, with the governor sending an apparent warning to Mr Shaibu that the “emilokan spirit” was unacceptable in the state’s politics.

Emilokan, a Yoruba word which means “it is my turn”, was made popular by President Bola Tinubu during his campaign for the 2023 election.

The ideology behind the word as used then by Mr Tinubu was that he had worked for President Muhammadu Buhari to become the first opposition leader to be elected Nigerian president, and therefore it was his (Tinubu’s) turn to be president after Mr Buhari.

“The ‘Emilokan’ syndrome or spirit is not a strategy for winning elections and ruling Edo people,” the governor of Edo was quoted as saying on Tuesday, according to a statement forwarded to PREMIUM TIMES by Crusoe Osagie, the special assistant on media project to the Edo State Government.

Mr Obaseki made the remarks when the leaders of the Edo South Senatorial District paid a solidarity visit to him in the Government House, Benin.

The governor said the Edo people would not accept “Emilokan” as a strategy.

“They are not known for that. For us, it is the people that will decide,” he said, apparently referring to his deputy, Mr Shaibu, who is said to be nursing the ambition to contest for the 2024 governorship election in the state.

In their days in the All Progressives Congress (APC), during the intense political fights between Mr Obaseki and his erstwhile benefactor, Adams Oshiomhole, Mr Shaibu stood solidly behind Governor Obaseki.

Mr Oshiomhole, who was the APC national chairman then, blocked Mr Obaseki from getting the APC governorship ticket for his reelection bid, forcing him to move to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). Mr Shaibu moved with the governor to the PDP, and both of them got a joint ticket and defeated the APC governorship candidate, Ize-Iyamu Osagie, to win the election.

By bringing up the emilokan, Governor Obaseki is probably telling Mr Shaibu not to feel that he is entitled to succeed him.

Mr Shaibu recently asked the court to stop an alleged plot by Governor Obaseki to remove him from office.

The governor, meanwhile, has accused Mr Shaibu of manipulating the youth council election in Edo because of his (Shaibu’s) political ambition.

“What has happened in the last few months is strange, and even if you have ambition, this is not the time to express it. The timetable for the election is not out. You can’t be part of a government and also be the one to destabilise the same government,” the Tuesday statement quoted Mr Obaseki as saying.

“I thought we came together and will leave together and let the people say you have done a great job, and they will now make the decision themselves. They are the ones to say that come rain or sunshine; we must continue.

“You are telling the world one thing and yet doing another. You are loyal to your principal, and yet you are in court with your principal. Everybody has the right to be ambitious but do it the right way.”

‘Making Shaibu visible is not a crime’

Governor Obaseki said people have been blaming him for allowing his deputy to be “visible” in the administration.

“Elevating a Deputy Governor and making him visible is not a crime. But this I did because I want to build institutions rather than individuals. To mistake that and misuse it is really unfortunate, as you have created the impression that the deputy governor should not be given responsibility.

“People are already blaming me now for giving him responsibility and visibility, and it’s my fault. How can it be my fault when you want to groom young people? I believe when young people work with you, give them opportunities and expose them, preparing them for leadership positions in life, praying they don’t abuse the privilege.

“I have no regret for exposing my deputy to power and leadership position. I have not made any mistakes, but he is the one that made the mistake. I hope he retraces his steps. He is the one that took me to court; he should be the one to talk to, not me. We are determined and focused to finish well, and with your support, we are sure to finish well,” the governor said.

Shaibu reacts

The deputy governor has, however, denied the existence of a rift between him and the governor.

According to a recent report by the Vanguard newspaper, Mr Shaibu said he remained loyal to Mr Obaseki and that “political jobbers” were trying to create a problem between him and the governor.

“Governor Obaseki and myself are committed to the continued development of Edo State.

“We are united in our determination to build a prosperous and inclusive society. I call on all well-meaning individuals to reject these divisive narratives and join in the quest to transform Edo State into a model of sustainable development and good governance. Edo State PDP politicians should embrace peace and seek unity to fight the common enemy,” Mr Shaibu was quoted as saying.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/616262-gov-obaseki-to-deputy-emilokan-wont-work-in-2024-edo-election.html

2 Likes

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by Taylor90: 6:31am On Aug 16, 2023
Same selfish slogan that plunged us into mess

It was later Tinubu revealed that he didn’t promise Nigerians anything that he only said it’s his turn

Anyways I trust my Edo people

They’re headquarters of Obidient

Edo loves Obi more than Anambra loves Obi so any rubbish Tinubu slogan automatically disqualifies any Mumu emilokan rubbish

78 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by Tochi3(m): 6:32am On Aug 16, 2023
The emilokans grin grin

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by Administration1: 6:34am On Aug 16, 2023
Lolz

1 Like

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by SmartPolician: 6:37am On Aug 16, 2023
Why do Nigerian governors always find it difficult to support their deputies to succeed them?

Mr. Shaibu has been very loyal to Mr. Obaseki, decamping with him from APC to PDP. Why is it difficult to support this loyal subordinate?

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by vowiski(m): 6:42am On Aug 16, 2023
Does Philip Shaibu needs a soothsayer to tell him he can NEVER be governor of Edo State?

Even if you put one military man and one thug per house to deter voters, it can't happen in Edo...

The Next Governor is coming from Esan..

The deputy can't claim to be ignorant of how Politics is Run in Edo....

This is not Lagos where everyone follows one man like a dummy cheesy

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by vowiski(m): 6:47am On Aug 16, 2023
SmartPolician:
Why do Nigerian governors always find it difficult to support their deputies to succeed them?

Mr. Shaibu has been very loyal to Mr. Obaseki, decamping with him from APC to PDP. Why is it difficult to support this loyal subordinate?

You forgot the governor refused to trade the deputy governors position for anyone? He said that was non-negotiable.

Philip Shaibu should be grateful and not otherwise...

Even if Obaseki picked a goat as running mate, he would still have won re-election.

The re-election was a protest vote against godfatherism. In the same vain, if the governor puts 2000 liters of anointing oil on Philip Shaibu's head and endorse him for governor, he will NEVER win in Edo.

Anyone Obaseki endorses will lose. Take it to the bank.

34 Likes

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by madridguy(m): 6:48am On Aug 16, 2023
Since you guys cannot make your comment peacefully then we are here to drag una like tiger generator.
Truly, Lagosians are following a man but so far
where Lagos dey today, it will take Edo state another 100 years to reach there.

vowiski:
Does Philip Shaibu needs a soothsayer to tell him he can NEVER be governor of Edo State?

Even if you put one military man and one thug per house to deter voters, it can't happen in Edo...

The Next Governor is coming from Esan..

The deputy can't claim to be ignorant of how Politics is Run in Edo....

This is not Lagos where everyone follows one man like a dummy cheesy

83 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by madridguy(m): 6:49am On Aug 16, 2023
When you hear " EKO for show " no be just mouth. If Lagos sneezes, the whole Africa shakes.
So far so good, President Tinubu is on the right path in leading our darling country to greatness.

Taylor90:
Same selfish slogan that plunged us into mess

It was later Tinubu revealed that he didn’t promise Nigerians anything that he only said it’s his turn

Anyways I trust my Edo people

They’re headquarters of Obidient

Edo loves Obi more than Anambra loves Obi so any rubbish Tinubu slogan automatically disqualifies any Mumu emilokan rubbish

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by madridguy(m): 6:50am On Aug 16, 2023
Atleast they're far better than the agberos in your region.

Tochi3:
The emilokans grin grin

33 Likes

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by vowiski(m): 6:53am On Aug 16, 2023
madridguy:
Since you guys cannot make your comment peacefully then we are here to drag una like tiger generator.

LAGOS is a slum na, you have never travelled out so you can't really know. Even if you have travelled out, you may not want to tell yourself the truth.

A Nigerian Lizard can't automatically become an Alligator when it gets to USA.

if it didn't dey it didn't dey cheesy

With the revenue from Lagos, it should be competing with Dubai and not Edo.

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by Tochi3(m): 6:54am On Aug 16, 2023
madridguy:
Atleast they're far better than the agberos in your region.

3 Likes

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by Taylor90: 6:55am On Aug 16, 2023
madridguy:
When you hear " EKO for show " no be just mouth. If Lagos sneezes, the whole Africa shakes.
So far so good, President Tinubu is on the right path in leading our darling country to greatness.

🤣🤣🤣

Madridguy really?

President Tinubu is on the right track right?

You know why I like you?

If them owe you a day salary you go begin confess

This was you👇👇👇

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by Fiscus105(m): 6:56am On Aug 16, 2023
Obaseki is speaking in irony, he himself knows Apc will uproot him and his puppet next year, though, not his short deputy would be the beneficiary.

All those that helped you to defeat emilokan then, what is ur relationship with them today?

19 Likes

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by SmartPolician: 6:56am On Aug 16, 2023
vowiski:

You forgot the governor refused to trade the deputy governors position for anyone? He said that was non-negotiable.

Philip Shaibu should be grateful and not otherwise...

Even if Obaseki picked a goat as a running mate, he would still have won re-elecition.

The re-election was a protest vote against godfatherism. In the same vain, if the governor puts 2000 liters of anointing oil on Philip Shaibu's head and endorse him for governor, he will NEVER win in Edo.

Anyone Obaseki endorses will lose. Take it to the bank.

You have a point, but I think this governors Vs deputies issue has become a tradition in Nigeria. How can someone serve you and stay loyal for 8 years without you supporting him?

In my opinion, someone who stuck with you for what period of time and served you diligently is more likely to be loyal than a random person....unless the two have managed to keep their bad blood away from the prying public and media.

By the way, who do you think is going to win?

4 Likes

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by money121(m): 6:57am On Aug 16, 2023
Awon ojelu

1 Like

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by vowiski(m): 6:58am On Aug 16, 2023
madridguy:

if Lagos sneeze? lwkmd cheesy

The region igbos helped develop to this current average level? , I laugh....

These tribal bigots keep amazing me with their soft-boxed contained mentality.

11 Likes

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by vowiski(m): 7:00am On Aug 16, 2023
SmartPolician:

You have a point, but I think this governors Vs deputies issue has become a tradition in Nigeria. How can someone serve you and stay loyal for 8 years without you supporting him?

In my opinion, someone who stuck with you for what period of time and served you diligently is more likely to be loyal than a random person....unless the two have managed to keep their bad blood away from the prying public and media.

By the way, who do you think is going to win?

In other climes where have you seen the deputy seeking automatic support from their leaders?

Democracy isn't designed to work that way, otherwise it can be called hereditary, since every deputy automatically knows their boss will push them to the seat of power!

9 Likes

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by gabbytabby: 7:02am On Aug 16, 2023
Obaseki is now becoming a bit of a
nuisance. He has finished his own 8 years so he should let Edo decide who their next Governor is.

5 Likes

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by phorget(m): 7:04am On Aug 16, 2023
madridguy:

Jakande has a better name than Ebola.

6 Likes

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by SmartPolician: 7:12am On Aug 16, 2023
vowiski:

In other climes where have you seen the deputy seeking automatic support from their leaders?

Democracy isn't designed to work that way, otherwise it can be called hereditary, since every deputy automatically knows their boss will push them to the seat of power!

Forget other climes because those in charge don't have the final say, but they only support whoever the party elects after their primaries. For instance, Obama is supporting Joe Biden today and also supported Hilary Clinton when she was Dem's presidential hopeful.

On the other hand, a Nigerian governor is the alpha and omega.... whoever he picks becomes the governor because he practically has the final say or can afford to buy up everyone. So, we don't really have a democracy in Nigéria.
Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by madridguy(m): 7:17am On Aug 16, 2023
Pa Jakande played his path.

phorget:

Jakande has a better name than Ebola.

17 Likes

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by madridguy(m): 7:22am On Aug 16, 2023
No, maybe you forgot... It was even the Igbos that discovered Lagos grin

vowiski:

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by madridguy(m): 7:24am On Aug 16, 2023
Yes, there's serious hunger in Nigeria or do I look like you people that are blindfolded with lies?

Jagaban said it in his campaign speech, its going to be a tough decision so where the lies?

Taylor90:

🤣🤣🤣

President Tinubu is on the right track right?

You know why I like you?

If them owe you a day salary you go begin confess

This was you👇👇👇

22 Likes

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by madridguy(m): 7:27am On Aug 16, 2023
The amount of killings happening in Edo State everyday is more than killings happening in Borno.

[quote author=Tochi3 post=125141346][/quote]

15 Likes

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by vowiski(m): 7:29am On Aug 16, 2023
SmartPolician:

Forget other climes because those in charge don't have the final say, but they only support whoever the party elects after their primaries. For instance, Obama is supporting Joe Biden today and also supported Hilary Clinton when she was Dem's presidential hopeful.

On the other hand, a Nigerian governor is the alpha and omega.... whoever he picks becomes the governor because he practically has the final say or can afford to buy up everyone. So, we don't really have a democracy in Nigéria.

And who told you Obama can’t support any other person ?

Did George Bush support Donald Trump ?
Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by phemmie06(m): 7:30am On Aug 16, 2023
I never knew why most of these principals don't want their deputies to succeed them BTW kwankwanso that did that with Gandollar never had it smooth

2 Likes

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by madridguy(m): 7:35am On Aug 16, 2023
Lagos is slum but your people can die to come and live in Lagos. Lagos may not be able to compete with Dubai as you have said but 100 years ahead of Edo in all good ramifications.

Meanwhile, Edo State has the best chance to overthrow Lagos only if your Edo is bless with visionaries leaders like Tinubu.

Maybe you don't know, the Nigeria institute of palm of research, Edo State, is enough for Edo State to be like Lagos. Malaysia is what they are today in Palm oil industry through that center but today Edo people are not looking how to make their palm oil an international brands to attract many investors but to blame Tinubu and be shouting Edo no be Lagos but sneak enter same Lagos at night like a thief.

vowiski:

LAGOS is a slum na, you have never travelled out so you can't really know. Even if you have travelled out, you may not want to tell yourself the truth.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by EcoNews: 7:50am On Aug 16, 2023
Will a Lagos lizard not turn to a crocodile when it reach Anambra or why are you fools always eager to compare Lagos to America ? Why not compare it to state within it categories like Anambra or you ipob / Obidaftis brain is damage to an extent you can't comprehend you compare like things not a state like Lagos to USA

vowiski:

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by reiddecuti: 7:52am On Aug 16, 2023
Ghen Ghen...

This Obaseki na something else. Proving his failure in all area of governance.

3 Likes

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by Elvis2kay: 7:52am On Aug 16, 2023
SHAIBU LŐ ƘĂÑ.

1 Like

Re: Governor Obaseki To Shaibu: ‘Emilokan’ Won’t Work In 2024 Edo Election by EcoNews: 7:52am On Aug 16, 2023
Same igbos that could not help themselves

vowiski:

13 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kabir Akingbolu: Lawyer Sues Buhari Over Failure To Tackle Fuel Shortage / Nigeria Can’t Survive Without North – Arewa Forum / Okorocha Spent Imo’s N11.2b On Federal Projects, Ihedioha Alleges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.