Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,437 members, 7,812,302 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:23 AM

Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? (9471 Views)

Prince Samuel Adesegun Egunjobi To Speak At Nigeria Independence Day Event / Yinka Ayefele’s Fresh Fm Organized The Best Children’s Day Event in My Life Time / "Mobile Marriage" — Bridesmaids Carrying Speakers, Battery On Wedding Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by BennyDGreat: 11:24am On Aug 19, 2023
While working on a couple of projects this week, I came in contact with the profile of someone from Facebook.

He's a convener of a large-sized conference within a University setting. What immediately caught my attention was the number of speakers that attended his last event.

I tried to zoom in on the graphics design but I got overwhelmed almost immediately.

A lot of thoughts began to run through my mind and I began to question the effectiveness of this type of conference.

Sometimes, conferences like this could start from 8AM and end around 4/5pm. In some cases, you get refreshment and slight breaks. In other cases, you get no breaks nor refreshment.

What do you think is the maximum amount of speakers a single day event ought to have?

How many hours is the max amount you would expect from a single day event?

Would the attendees ever take home information they can work on or would they be too full to even digest due to information overload?

Why do these conveners gather so many folks?
For networking? For show off? Or for the attendees to have enough established folks to network with?...share your thoughts....let's engage Nairaland!

BY Ebenezer Mabinuola

13 Likes

Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by layuns(m): 12:26pm On Aug 19, 2023
A standard duration for a talk is 45 minutes to 1 hr, often with time for questions and answer at the end.. Even though it can be extended to about 2hrs per person.

Guest speaker must have the leadership, humor, authenticity, and confidence to engage the audience for the duration of their session.
Decide on how they'll contribute to event goals. Speakers are meant to energise the crowd, inspire them, support the event themes, add value by sharing insider knowledge, offer a new perspective, break up the more routine aspects of the event and entertain.

To this note, for an event that will last till 4pm, about 4 or 5 numbers of speakers are enough for the day, excluding the keynote speaker.

Finally my ftc on nairaland, after 14years. Dreams do really come through!
😉 😜 😘

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by BigBlackPreek(m): 12:27pm On Aug 19, 2023
Marketing strategy

1 Like

Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by BoldBrainz(m): 12:27pm On Aug 19, 2023
Hm.

For all the reasons you listed. There are no set rules or weighted scales to these things. The essence of a conference might turn out to be a subject with very broad analysis. Dissecting through is often easily done when you have just about enough speakers. Networking comes in too. People attend conferences for the enlightenment and contact making. Others just gather a crowd of speakers to make the whole event seem overly important. It's part of embellishment and corporate image laundering.

5 Likes

Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by emmy512: 12:27pm On Aug 19, 2023
Most times it's a discourse.

Not just one person speaking but many having a discourse on an issue.

Audiences get to hear from everyone as the speakers are free to be against or for certain statements made by one another.

That way audience can make decisions in real time of the knowledge they're getting from their and not having to wait and get information from one person at a time for extended period of time which can be overwhelming

This depends on the type of event by the way.

And as you said it also helps for networking by bringing people interested in a topic together to share ideas
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by id4sho(m): 12:27pm On Aug 19, 2023
[img][/img]
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by FuckTheMod: 12:28pm On Aug 19, 2023
cry
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by vowiski(m): 12:28pm On Aug 19, 2023
cheesy
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by harmargedon: 12:29pm On Aug 19, 2023
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by harmargedon: 12:29pm On Aug 19, 2023
BennyDGreat:
While working on a couple of projects this week, I came in contact with the profile of someone from Facebook.

He's a convener of a large-sized conference within a University setting. What immediately caught my attention was the number of speakers that attended his last event.

I tried to zoom in on the graphics design but I got overwhelmed almost immediately.

A lot of thoughts began to run through my mind and I began to question the effectiveness of this type of conference.

Sometimes, conferences like this could start from 8AM and end around 4/5pm. In some cases, you get refreshment and slight breaks. In other cases, you get no breaks nor refreshment.

What do you think is the maximum amount of speakers a single day event ought to have?

Would the attendees ever take home information they can work on or would they be too full to even digest due to information overload?

For networking? For show off? Or for the attendees to have enough established folks to network with?...share your thoughts....let's engage Nairaland!

BY Ebenezer Mabinuola
ideas.
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by harsysky(m): 12:29pm On Aug 19, 2023
The rationale is that if one of the speakers doesn't appeal to the audience, others will. That's why after the workshop, different folks line up to the speakers they love.

2 Likes

Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by omooba969(m): 12:30pm On Aug 19, 2023
Here to learn. smiley
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by buygala(m): 12:30pm On Aug 19, 2023
It's the same reason why music show organizers bring as many artists as possible to their events..of course there is always a star artist, just as there is a key speaker in those events with the others being supporting strikers grin

They advertised the personalities they intend to bring to the event, and interested participants having seen the number and identity of the personalities, pay for these events...and these participants mostly attend to hear their favorite guest speak or even see him/her physically.. Then they zone out when other guests take the podium. grin

It's not for the op to determine what is "information overload" for people who get what they paid for in an event they voluntarily attended.

Besides, considering that these events are mostly fully video recorded, with the videos and conference materials mde available to participants who want them, the participants have the chance to later watch and assimilate the videos and materials at their own speed and convenience.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by AmyNwa10(f): 12:30pm On Aug 19, 2023
Honestly, I don't know. And most of the times, the audience gets so tired before they're halfway done.

5 Likes

Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by wittywriter: 12:30pm On Aug 19, 2023
Reachout.

AmyNwa10:
Honestly, I don't know. And most of the times, the audience gets so tired before they're halfway done.
harsysky:
The rationale is that if one of the speakers doesn't appeal to the audience, others will. That's why after the workshop, different folks line up to the speakers they love.

Wittyness
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by uuzba(m): 12:32pm On Aug 19, 2023
Well, western nations make their money by producing and exporting all kinds of goods and electronics.. Cars, aeroplanes, furniture, bicycles, almost every gadget surrounding you right now, even your pant. So their people are very busy working. No time to talk long stories.
Nigeria doesn't do any of this. So there's enough people around to talk-talk long unnecessary stories in every event. They have nothing else to do.
At the end of the event people go home more confused than before they came and Nigeria's problem continues

4 Likes

Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by KingRabota: 12:33pm On Aug 19, 2023
Personally I see this as information overload. And effort to make the program in question seem RICH in content and context. But in reality most of the information at such seminars/conferencea will be lost to the ether.
In my opinion at most each session should be within the 30 to 45 minutes.
Registration 8:00-9:00
Morning session 9:00-12:00
(4 sessions 45mins each)
Interlude /lunch 1hour
Afternoon session 13:00 -16:00
(4 sessions 45mins each)

End with a small time for introduction /networking 30mins to an hour

1 Like

Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by Wealthoptulent(m): 12:34pm On Aug 19, 2023
Nationale poverty as turned many to VOCATIONAL & MOTIVATIONAL SPEAKERS: IYA ti je ori omo elomi danu grin

3 Likes

Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by Ejiakusmith(m): 12:37pm On Aug 19, 2023
No be GNLD / longrich crew I de smell so 🤷🤷🤷🤷
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by wman(m): 12:40pm On Aug 19, 2023
Multiple-day events requires spending more money on halls, projectors, ushering, catering etc. If everything can hold in one day, no problem. Some speeches and addresses aren't more than 30 to 45 minutes long.
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by Yankee101: 12:40pm On Aug 19, 2023
One speaker will be boring
Several good heads means several good ideas
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by haybhi1(m): 12:42pm On Aug 19, 2023
Well, it's not as common as you think or portray. In fact, it might be that you're exaggerating.

Personally, from my experience, I hold the opinion that in most standard academic setting, considering goes into a lot of things before they are played out. As such, it doesn't usually take undue time and the disseminated information usually prove fitly. For instance at Unilorin, they organized induction ceremony for their medical students late last month. The programme started around 10am and ended before 1pm - an occasion that attracted many academic elite far and wide. Another instance, inaugural lecture only starts around 5pm and end before 7pm here. This is another vital occasion that puts the elites together. Convocation doesn't take so long too. I expect this to be the modus operandi among other standard universities around.

I think many people exaggerate things that attempt to put universities, especially public, in a bad light in Nigeria. Well, my experience so far takes a diverted outlook to that. People say lecturers are sadist, heavens how spurious can that be? About all the several lecturers that have taken me are so comely and approachable. They are ever ready to be useful. I'm talking lecturers and consultants and at least PhD holders. Enter their office anytime. Flag them down when they're on transit ... The major thing I notice that may be giving off the negative opinions about these people, though, is the fact that they will never compromise for a single person. If the worst is the condition, then it will be for the sake of the whole class, and lightly, as such.. The ones I know treat students usually as much as the students right stretches.

In addition, the other day say Unilag hiked up its school, everyone castigated the universities, yet the fees are not appreciably inflated here and lots of other schools. In fact, it remains essentially the same.

Make una dey calm down with all these shaming and negative vibes na. At least, let there always be a basis, one significant enough before throwing the being or value of a person/institution/organization/establishment down the drain na. Many slanderous or libelous rot, once initiated, will take longer than due to rebuild appropriately.

1 Like

Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by uuzba(m): 12:43pm On Aug 19, 2023
Wealthoptulent:
Nationale poverty as turned many to VOCATIONAL & MOTIVATIONAL SPEAKERS: IYA ti je ori omo elomi danu grin
Exactly
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by uuzba(m): 12:45pm On Aug 19, 2023
Yankee101:
One speaker will be boring
Several good heads means several good ideas
They couldn't discuss in their house and reach a conclusion before inviting the general public?
What kind of confused set of people ate those?
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by toprealman: 12:49pm On Aug 19, 2023
BennyDGreat:

BY Ebenezer Mabinuola
Check how long Ted talk last. 15-20 mins is enough to convey your thoughts on anything if you really know what you are talking about.
Drop links to more resources if need be.
Check Parkinson's Law too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by BennyDGreat: 12:52pm On Aug 19, 2023
layuns:
A standard duration for a talk is 45 minutes to 1 hr, often with time for questions and answer at the end.. Even though it can be extended to about 2hrs per person.

Guest speaker must have the leadership, humor, authenticity, and confidence to engage the audience for the duration of their session.
Decide on how they'll contribute to event goals. Speakers are meant to energise the crowd, inspire them, support the event themes, add value by sharing insider knowledge, offer a new perspective, break up the more routine aspects of the event and entertain.

To this note, for an event that will last till 4pm, about 4 or 5 numbers of speakers are enough for the day, excluding the keynote speaker.

Good submission. Some have like 15-20 speakers
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by BennyDGreat: 12:54pm On Aug 19, 2023
BoldBrainz:
Hm.

For all the reasons you listed. There are no set rules or weighted scales to these things. The essence of a conference might turn out to be a subject with very broad analysis. Dissecting through is often easily done when you have just about enough speakers. Networking comes in too. People attend conferences for the enlightenment and contact making. Others just gather a crowd of speakers to make the whole event seem overly important. It's part of embellishment and corporate image laundering.

From your personal assessment do you think most conferences in Nigeria have real time positive effect on the attendees or na just corporate image laundering
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by BennyDGreat: 12:55pm On Aug 19, 2023
harsysky:

Don't you think too many speakers can leave the audience more confused especially when two of the speakers have different thoughts on an issue
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by BennyDGreat: 12:57pm On Aug 19, 2023
buygala:
It's the same reason why music show organizers bring as many artists as possible to their events..of course there is always a star artist, just as there is a key speaker in those events with the others being supporting strikers grin

They advertised the personalities they intend to bring to the event, and interested participants having seen the number and identity of the personalities, pay for these events...and these participants mostly attend to hear their favorite guest speak or even see him/her physically.. Then they zone out when other guests take the podium. grin

It's not for the op to determine what is "information overload" for people who get what they paid for in an event they voluntarily attended.

Besides, considering that these events are mostly fully video recorded, with the videos and conference materials mde available to participants who want them, the participants have the chance to later watch and assimilate the videos and materials at their own speed and convenience.

In the case of not having access to recording...don't you think the purpose of the conference has been defeated since they couldn't really absorb specifics from the live event?
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by BennyDGreat: 1:00pm On Aug 19, 2023
haybhi1:
Well, it's not as common as you think or portray. In fact, it might be that you're exaggerating.

Personally, from my experience, I hold the opinion that in most standard academic setting, considering goes into a lot of things before they are played out. For instance, at Unilorin, they organized induction ceremony for their medical students late last month. The program started around 10 and ended before 1 - an occasion that attracted many academic elite far and wide. Another instance, inaugural lecture only starts around 5pm and end before 7pm here. This is another vital occasion that puts the elites together. Convocation doesn't take so long too. I expect this to be the modus operandi g

I think many people exaggerate things that attempt to put universities, especially public, in a bad light. Well, my experience so far takes a diverted outlook to that.

You are speaking in another context.

I was referring to events organised by an individual or an organisation while using a case study of the event within the university community.

It had more than 10 folks coming to speak.
Those inductions, convocations are school programs.

1 Like

Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by Omoawoke: 1:01pm On Aug 19, 2023
Lol, very correct.

It makes no sense I some cases. But some situations like convocations or inductions, the necessary speakers may need to address people. Imagine getting a new job and you are doing orientation, you won’t mind staying the whole day
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by BoldBrainz(m): 1:06pm On Aug 19, 2023
BennyDGreat:

From your personal assessment do you think most conferences in Nigeria have real time positive effect on the attendees or na just corporate image laundering

They do have real time positive effects on attendees. I'm not sure anyone sets out for a conference he/she has no interest in. Once the interest exists, a thing or two can always be picked up in the course of attendance. But sometimes, when a conference is stretched beyond its "human attention span", interest dissipates and essence is lost.

The image laundering aspect is solely to the benefit of the organising body.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

All You Need To Know About Yoruba Traditional Marriage By Perfect Budget Events / Happy Birthday To Jacksparrow0712 / Forever Living Products

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.