Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,335 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:37 PM

Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? - Events (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? (9487 Views)

Prince Samuel Adesegun Egunjobi To Speak At Nigeria Independence Day Event / Yinka Ayefele’s Fresh Fm Organized The Best Children’s Day Event in My Life Time / "Mobile Marriage" — Bridesmaids Carrying Speakers, Battery On Wedding Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by buygala(m): 1:09pm On Aug 19, 2023
BennyDGreat:

In the case of not having access to recording...don't you think the purpose of the conference has been defeated since they couldn't really absorb specifics from the live event?

No... The attendees are in a better position to determine the relevancies that they want to absorb..

Even in class lectures, not everything said by the lecturer is important for the subject being taught....knowing this is mainly what separates the 1st class students from the averages who expend their energy trying to catch even the lecturer's cough and stale jokes.
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by BennyDGreat: 1:17pm On Aug 19, 2023
buygala:

No... The attendees are in a better position to determine the relevancies that they want to absorb..

Even in class lectures, not everything said by the lecturer is important for the subject being taught....knowing this is mainly what separates the 1st class students from the averages who expend their energy trying to catch even the lecturer's cough and stale jokes.

Well you are right about the attendees determining what's relevant and absorbable.

However, assuming the speakers are to talk specifically on something within a context and because of their knowledge depth begin to touch areas the attendees may find difficult to capture within that short time, it may leave their minds blown but can you really say such attendees got something they can work on, knowing there's too much to cover...
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by Menclothing: 1:22pm On Aug 19, 2023
To God be the glory
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by jaxxy(m): 1:29pm On Aug 19, 2023
there's smtn called crash course or seminar. everything is compressed. those attending are usually made aware.
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by Jeezuzpick(m): 1:31pm On Aug 19, 2023
BennyDGreat:
While working on a couple of projects this week, I came in contact with the profile of someone from Facebook.

He's a convener of a large-sized conference within a University setting. What immediately caught my attention was the number of speakers that attended his last event.

I tried to zoom in on the graphics design but I got overwhelmed almost immediately.

A lot of thoughts began to run through my mind and I began to question the effectiveness of this type of conference.

Sometimes, conferences like this could start from 8AM and end around 4/5pm. In some cases, you get refreshment and slight breaks. In other cases, you get no breaks nor refreshment.

What do you think is the maximum amount of speakers a single day event ought to have?

How many hours is the max amount you would expect from a single day event?

Would the attendees ever take home information they can work on or would they be too full to even digest due to information overload?

Why do these conveners gather so many folks?
For networking? For show off? Or for the attendees to have enough established folks to network with?...share your thoughts....let's engage Nairaland!

BY Ebenezer Mabinuola

I'm sure there are discussion panels with several "speakers" as panelists.
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by buygala(m): 1:33pm On Aug 19, 2023
BennyDGreat:

Well you are right about the attendees determining what's relevant and absorbable.

However, assuming the speakers are to talk specifically on something within a context and because of their knowledge depth begin to touch areas the attendees may find difficult to capture within that short time, it may leave their minds blown but can you really say such attendees got something they can work on, knowing there's too much to cover...

A one-day seminar on a topic is mostly general and a summary of the subject, and can never be a substitute for what can take a month or years to cover in detail. Those one-day seminars are mostly crash courses, and it will be very unreasonable for attendees to think they can absorb a month or year's worth of knowledge in one day.... Indepth knowledge is foundational, having to be built from the ground up...thats not something that can be gotten via a crash one-day seminar...

An example are those one-day ADR seminars I used to attend as an undergrad.. After every every, dem give us certificate of attendance, which didn't by any definition make us mediators or arbitrators.. When I finally desired to become a Chartered Arbitrator, I had to go the full hog.. And it wasn't a day or even a month's work.
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by harsysky(m): 2:30pm On Aug 19, 2023
BennyDGreat:

Don't you think too many speakers can leave the audience more confused especially when two of the speakers have different thoughts on an issue

Ofcourse, it is possible, but when a speaker differs on a particular thought from the other speaker, it makes it even more interesting for those who went there to learn. For me, I go for tech workshops and enjoy every speaker.
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by layuns(m): 2:42pm On Aug 19, 2023
layuns:
A standard duration for a talk is 45 minutes to 1 hr, often with time for questions and answer at the end.. Even though it can be extended to about 2hrs per person.

Guest speaker must have the leadership, humor, authenticity, and confidence to engage the audience for the duration of their session.
Decide on how they'll contribute to event goals. Speakers are meant to energise the crowd, inspire them, support the event themes, add value by sharing insider knowledge, offer a new perspective, break up the more routine aspects of the event and entertain.

To this note, for an event that will last till 4pm, about 4 or 5 numbers of speakers are enough for the day, excluding the keynote speaker.

Finally my ftc on nairaland, after 14years. Dreams do really come through!
😉 😜 😘
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by gaddafe(m): 2:52pm On Aug 19, 2023
layuns:
A standard duration for a talk is 45 minutes to 1 hr, often with time for questions and answer at the end.. Even though it can be extended to about 2hrs per person.

You see that bolded part... Whoever told you that was saying rubbish. I studied Education and with my years of experience I can tell you there is a reason curriculum developers don't advise you spend above 45 mins. And that 45 mins is the maximum number you should spend for a lecture as the human mind will need time to digest information and can start going into fatigue if it's extended beyond that. Also that 45 mins is with the assumption that some lectures will be interactive not a one way class. An interactive lecture is a class like English language where the teacher will say a word and the student will repeat or in a maths class or computer class etc. A one way class is one adopted in the church or mosque where the leader or preacher teaches. where the audience is not expected to ask questions or they reserve their questions for later. In such a class, the best timing for a quality lecture is 15 - 30 mins. Anything beyond that, people get tired and some might even leave or walk out.
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by layuns(m): 2:55pm On Aug 19, 2023
BennyDGreat:

Good submission. Some have like 15-20 speakers

Yes, since the goal could be either to persuade, inform, inspire, or entertain the audience. The best speech is a combination of all four, but one should be the backbone of the speech.

If a speaker can delivered his speech and his goal is achievable within 15-20 minutes time frame, then it's fine.
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by 7demons: 3:00pm On Aug 19, 2023
layuns:

Finally my ftc on nairaland, after 14years. Dreams do really come through!
😉 😜 😘

14yrs
See what you're celebrating cry
How old are you by the way undecided
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by layuns(m): 3:07pm On Aug 19, 2023
gaddafe:

You see that bolded part... Whoever told you that was saying rubbish. I studied Education and with my years of experience I can tell you there is a reason curriculum developers don't advise you spend above 45 mins. And that 45 mins is the maximum number you should spend for a lecture as the human mind will need time to digest information and can start going into fatigue if it's extended beyond that. Also that 45 mins is with the assumption that some lectures will be interactive not a one way class. An interactive lecture is a class like English language where the teacher will say a word and the student will repeat or in a maths class or computer class etc. A one way class is one adopted in the church or mosque where the leader or preacher teaches. where the audience is not expected to ask questions or they reserve their questions for later. In such a class, the best timing for a quality lecture is 15 - 30 mins. Anything beyond that, people get tired and some might even leave or walk out.

Mr. Linguistics or you'd preferred I call you an Etymology? What happened to responding professionally rather than (bolded above).

Learn to use and apply your acclaimed profession wisely 🙏
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by blaquebelle: 3:07pm On Aug 19, 2023
haybhi1:
Well, it's not as common as you think or portray. In fact, it might be that you're exaggerating.

Personally, from my experience, I hold the opinion that in most standard academic setting, considering goes into a lot of things before they are played out. As such, it doesn't usually take undue time and the disseminated information usually prove fitly. For instance at Unilorin, they organized induction ceremony for their medical students late last month. The programme started around 10am and ended before 1pm - an occasion that attracted many academic elite far and wide. Another instance, inaugural lecture only starts around 5pm and end before 7pm here. This is another vital occasion that puts the elites together. Convocation doesn't take so long too. I expect this to be the modus operandi among other standard universities around.

I think many people exaggerate things that attempt to put universities, especially public, in a bad light in Nigeria. Well, my experience so far takes a diverted outlook to that. People say lecturers are sadist, heavens how spurious can that be? About all the several lecturers that have taken me are so comely and approachable. They are ever ready to be useful. I'm talking lecturers and consultants and at least PhD holders. Enter their office anytime. Flag them down when they're on transit ... The major thing I notice that may be giving off the negative opinions about these people, though, is the fact that they will never compromise for a single person. If the worst is the condition, then it will be for the sake of the whole class, and lightly, as such.. The ones I know treat students usually as much as the students right stretches.

In addition, the other day say Unilag hiked up its school, everyone castigated the universities, yet the fees are not appreciably inflated here and lots of other schools. In fact, it remains essentially the same.

Make una dey calm down with all these shaming and negative vibes na. At least, let there always be a basis, one significant enough before throwing the being or value of a person/institution/organization/establishment down the drain na. Many slanderous or libelous rot, once initiated, will take longer than due to rebuild appropriately.

This same unilorin you mentioned organized a women's conference that started around 9:30am and finished by 5pm. No breaks, no refreshments, just clapping for hours as dignitaries are praised and eulogised then the said dignitary or their representative will drone on for another hour. I think I enjoyed 2 sessions out of the many that held that day. While there may be an exaggeration, it is a fact that there needs to be an improvement in set events like these.

1 Like

Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by layuns(m): 3:08pm On Aug 19, 2023
7demons:

14yrs
See what you're celebrating cry
How old are you by the way undecided

21years sir.
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by BennyDGreat: 5:51pm On Aug 19, 2023
buygala:

A one-day seminar on a topic is mostly general and a summary of the subject, and can never be a substitute for what can take a month or years to cover in detail. Those one-day seminars are mostly crash courses, and it will be very unreasonable for attendees to think they can absorb a month or year's worth of knowledge in one day.... Indepth knowledge is foundational, having to be built from the ground up...thats not something that can be gotten via a crash one-day seminar...

An example are those one-day ADR seminars I used to attend as an undergrad.. After every every, dem go us us certificate of attendance, which didn't by any means make us mediators or arbitrators.. When I finally desired to become a Chartered Arbitrator, I had to go the full hog.. And it wasn't a day or even a month's work.

Apt. Very sound submission sir
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by BennyDGreat: 5:56pm On Aug 19, 2023
harsysky:

Ofcourse, it is possible, but when a speaker differs on a particular thought from the other speaker, it makes it even more interesting for those who went there to learn. For me, I go for tech workshops and enjoy every speaker.

The reason you enjoy a different line of thought is because you have a solid knowledge base in the field. For a newbie, the opposite will be the case
Re: Rationale Behind Many Speakers At A Single Day Event? by MrCork: 2:10pm On Apr 07
AmyNwa10:
Honestly, I don't know. And most of the times, the audience gets so tired before they're halfway done.

helo please i have 5k for u..cash
can i chop kiss, twice?? smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Forever Living Products / Peace Ambassador Agency Unveils Identity Ahead Of 10th Anniversary Celebration / Happy Birthday To Jacksparrow0712

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.