Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,853 members, 7,817,524 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:42 PM

Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities (3536 Views)

Three Major Shifts In The Presidential Campaign By Farooq A. Kperogi / Population Of Extremely Poor Persons In Nigeria Hits 102m — NECA. / What Is The Estimated Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by garfield1: 9:17pm On Aug 22, 2023
kettykin:

If I had not traveled Nigeria and lived and worked all round Nigeria, I would have believed the satanic manipulations being churned out by some individuals. The massive population, investment and spread of igbos in kaduna , jos , kano maiduguri is talk for another day.

I remember going to Azare somewhere in Bauchi only to hire a welder who happened to be igbo but employed Hausas as apprentice ,I was so amazed that I had to engage him every evening to discuss about business, socio politics etc.

Do you know that in every northern town , city or village 90% probability that the chemist, boutique, restaurant, beer parlor, spare parts shop, electronics shop you will find there is owned by an igbo man.

I once met an igbo man in shehu laminu way who told me that he sells computer spares in maiduguri and that he has customers that come from Chad to buy spares and parts for their system, someone that fixed my phone in kaltungo Gomber state is an igbo engineer who served in gombe and opted to settle there.

The business network and empire of igbos is simply beyond the scope of nairaland.

That you are ubiquitous and easy to notice doesn't mean you are more populous

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by ImmaculateJOE(m): 9:22pm On Aug 22, 2023
Flathead8:
Loooooooooool 90% grin grin grin

I'm a northerner ftom zamfara state, Ibo dey plenty for north and doing business. But 90% haba bro, abeg abeg I don kneel down, make una stop with this lies naw!!!

If Ibo have 90%, that means indigenous hausa, Yoruba and other tribes go share 10% be that! grin
Is this what you understand from his write up..?

He said about 90% of those into Chemists, electronics, spare parts, restaurant businesses are of Igbo Origin, not the entire population..

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by ImmaculateJOE(m): 9:24pm On Aug 22, 2023
garfield1:

So Yola north with population of 300k has 33% igbos?
Where did you get 300k stats from..?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by Flathead8: 9:26pm On Aug 22, 2023
I perfectly understood what he said. If Ibo own 90% of those businesses, what about the rest

I agree Ibo own many of those business, but why exxagerat this much to make a point
ImmaculateJOE:

Is this what you understand from his write up..?

He said about 90% of those into Chemists, electronics, spare parts, restaurant businesses are of Igbo Origin, not the entire population..

2 Likes

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by ImmaculateJOE(m): 9:28pm On Aug 22, 2023
seniorkachion:

So why are there no major yoruba owned motor transport companies plying the north and west, like the great Igbo owned transport companies that ply East to West, East to North?
You dey mind him..

In Adawama state for instance, transport companies ply only Adamawa to Lagos..

But they ply Adamawa to Onitsha, to Enugu, to Lokpanta, to Aba, to PH etc.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by Christistruth03: 9:30pm On Aug 22, 2023
mandarin:
Yes igbo move and trade all over the North but to say they are more than the Yoruba is doubtful.
A town of Funtua in Katsina state was said to have been started by Kolanut trading Yoruba traders. I don't think there is any state in the north that Igbos can be more than Yoruba.
There are 19 Northern states. Kogi and Kwara are out because Yoruba are indigenous to those two states. ANiger is out because the Tapa and Yoruba are kinsmen and Yoruba have settled there for a long time leaving us with 16 states in contest.
I recalled when crisis happened in Jo's and people jumped into the conclusion that Igbos would have the highest loss but alas when the report came out, it was the Yoruba.
Many will be shocked if the actual census with all bio data is allowed to hold. Two things am sure may show are:
That Nigeria has more Christians than Muslims
That Yoruba would probably be the largest single ethnic group in Nigeria if the Fulani ethnic group is classified differently.

They don't know that the Yoruba and the Nupe are Siblings
As far back as in the 13th Century the Alafin of Oyo had a Nupe Mother
We have not mentioned the 100 years until the 15th Century when Oyo was under Nupe rule until Alafin Orompomto. The only female Alafin defeated the Nupe in battle and threw off Nupe hegemony

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by ImmaculateJOE(m): 9:31pm On Aug 22, 2023
Flathead8:
I perfectly understood what he said. If Ibo own 90% of those businesses, what about the rest

I agree Ibo own many of those business, but why exxagerat this much to make a point
Okay..

I know you are from the North and hates anything Igbo..

But in your honest opinion, do you believe that the population of Yorubas in the North, equals that of Igbos population in the North..?
Like the OP and other commenters suggested..?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by Christistruth03: 9:35pm On Aug 22, 2023
ImmaculateJOE:

Okay..

I know you are from the North and hates anything Igbo..

But in your honest opinion, do you believe that the population of Yorubas in the North, equals that of Igbos population in the North..?
Like the OP and other commenters suggested..?

Kwara and Kogi with indigenous Yorubas are part of the North

So you already have about 4 Million Yorubas indigenous to the Middlebelt North to contend with without even counting the others

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by Ttalk: 9:36pm On Aug 22, 2023
seniorkachion:

So why are there no major yoruba owned motor transport companies plying the north and west, like the great Igbo owned transport companies that ply East to West, East to North?

And you expect me to answer this stupid question?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by ImmaculateJOE(m): 9:40pm On Aug 22, 2023
Christistruth03:

So you already have about 4 Million Yorubas indigenous to the North to contend without even counting the others
The population of Igbos in Kano, Kaduna, Nasarawa, Plateau, Borno, Benue, can equal that number..

Also remember that there are also indigenous Igbos in kogi and Benue states..

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by Ttalk: 9:41pm On Aug 22, 2023
Christistruth03:

So you already have about 4 Million Yorubas indigenous to the Middlebelt North to contend with without even counting the others

These people are deluded I swear, that's how the other one said 75% properties in Abuja are owned by Igbo, haba! Imagine such a ridiculous statement

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by Christistruth03: 9:42pm On Aug 22, 2023
ImmaculateJOE:

The population of Igbos in Kano, Kaduna, Nasarawa, Plateau, Borno, Benue, can equal that number..

We have not started counting Yorubas in the North at all and you already have around 4 Million in Kwara and Kogi alone

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by DeOTR: 9:46pm On Aug 22, 2023
ImmaculateJOE:

There's no where in the North that you can find more Igbos than Yorubas. That you people are loud doesn't translate to being the most populous.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by ImmaculateJOE(m): 9:51pm On Aug 22, 2023
DeOTR:

There's no where in the North that you can find more Igbos than Yorubas. That you people are loud doesn't translate to being the most populous.
Lol..

Oga, the days of Lagos-Ibadan expressway media propaganda are long gone..
Everyone now has a phone and have access to the Internet.. They will tell the stories first hand and fresh from the buying..

For this my Adamawa state, Yorubas no reach 20k people..

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by garfield1: 9:58pm On Aug 22, 2023
ImmaculateJOE:

Where did you get 300k stats from..?

Check online na,latest estimates.i don't pull statistics from thin air unlike you guys.stop all these unrealistic stats

1 Like

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by ImmaculateJOE(m): 10:04pm On Aug 22, 2023
garfield1:

Check online na,latest estimates.i don't pull statistics from thin air unlike you guys.stop all these unrealistic stats
Lols.

You should check the geniuity of your source, doubeli ward for example has more than 70k in habitant, there are 12wards in Jimeta

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by Ttalk: 10:05pm On Aug 22, 2023
ImmaculateJOE:

Lol..

Oga, the daya of Lagos-Ibadan expressway media propaganda are long gone..
Everyone now has a phone and have access to the Internet.. They will tell the stories first hand and fresh from the buying..

For this my Adamawa state, Yorubas no reach 20k people..

Let this sink even in Abuja there are more Ebira, more Igala, more Benue more Yoruba than Igbo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by garfield1: 10:07pm On Aug 22, 2023
ImmaculateJOE:

Lols.

You should check the geniuity of your source, doubeli ward for example has more than 70k in habitant, there are 12wards in Jimeta

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.manpower.com.ng/places/lga/74/yola-north&ved=2ahUKEwjersrhlfGAAxU7UUEAHT6JDiUQFnoECB0QAQ&usg=AOvVaw3-FZ3mzDrg1GaWutqm_Kut

Almost all sources will bring similar stats.i challenge you to bring a source

1 Like

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by ImmaculateJOE(m): 10:13pm On Aug 22, 2023
garfield1:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.manpower.com.ng/places/lga/74/yola-north&ved=2ahUKEwjersrhlfGAAxU7UUEAHT6JDiUQFnoECB0QAQ&usg=AOvVaw3-FZ3mzDrg1GaWutqm_Kut

Almost all sources will bring similar stats.i challenge you to bring a source
Since no one has counted me or any of my family members since 2006, then that estimate is so untrue..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by Armaggedon: 10:15pm On Aug 22, 2023
garfield1:
This will be based on the 2006 population census.

State population. Ethnic population
Kebbi 3.5 mil. Hausas 2.5 mil
Sokoto 3.5 mil. Hausas 3 mil
Zamfara 3 mil. Hausas 2.5 mil
Katsina 5.5 mil. Hausas 4.5 mil
Kano. 10 mil. Hausas 8 mil
Kaduna 6 mil. Hausas 3 mil
Jigawa 4 mil. Hausa 2.5 mil
Bauchi 4.5 mil. Hausas 500k
Gombe 2 mil. Hausas 300k
Niger. 4 mil. Hausas 500k
Nasarawa 2 mil. Hausas 300k

Population of hausa settlers in plateau,kwara,kogi,benue,taraba,yobe,adamawa,borno etc 3 mil.
Population of hausas in south west 3 mil
Population of hausas in ss/se 1 mil.
Total population of hausas 31.5 mil

Yorubas
Lagos 10 mil. Yorubas 5 mil
Ogun 4 mil. Yorubas 3.5 mil
Ondo 3.5 mil. Yorubas 3 mil
Osun 3.5 mil. Yorubas 3.5 mil
Ekiti 2 mil. Yorubas 2 mil
Oyo 5 mil. Yorubas 4.5 mil
Kogi 3 mil. Yorubas 600k
Kwara 2.5 mil. Yorubas 1.8 mil

Yorubas in the north 4 mil
Yorubas in se/SS 1 mil...total population 29 mil

Igbos
Anambra 4 mil. Igbos 3.6 mil
Imo. 3.6 mil. Igbos 3.4 mil
Abia 3 mil. Igbos 2.8 mil
Enugu 3 mil. Igbos 3 mil
Ebonyi 2 mil. Igbos 2 mil
Delta 4.5 mil. Igbos 1.3 mil
Rivers 5 mil. Igbos 2.5 mil
Igbos in other parts SS 1 mil
Igbos in south west 4 mil
Igbos in the north 4 mil....total population 28 million.

Mynd44
Nplfmod
Lalasticlala
Seun
Seunmsg
Raumdeuter
Fergie001
Mymouth
Nowenuse
Anigbajumo
Donphilopus
Jumper
Sarki
Kyase
Mrvitalis
Immaculatejoe
Casualobserver
Blue3k
Naptu2
Helinues
You know nothing bro. Stop advertising your ignorance. Ondo is more populous than Enugu? and and Igbos are only half of Rivers?

Let me tell you, Igbo speaking natives in Rivers are already half of the state population. Combine it with Igbos from SE and Delta, you get about 70% of the state.

Igbos are at least 1/3 of Delta population.

Yorubas in Kogi are not up to 20% of the state but you are free to inflate the figures all you want.
Ondo is just slightly more populous than ekiti. If ekiti is 2mil then ondo shouldn't be up to 2.5 mil. But you ranked it more populous than Enugu lol
FCT suddenly went missing from your list. Actually 3 of ten people I meet in FCT are Igbos. That is me being conservative. The election result shock you abi after your armchair statistics?

I am not a fan of high population but I easily spot manipulation.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by garfield1: 10:15pm On Aug 22, 2023
ImmaculateJOE:

Since no one has counted me or any of my family members since 2006, then that estimate is so untrue..

Bring your own then.its not possible to count everyone that's why we have margin of errors even overseas.
Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by Ttalk: 10:30pm On Aug 22, 2023
Armaggedon:
You know nothing bro. Stop advertising your ignorance. Ondo is more populous than Enugu? and and Igbos are only half of Rivers?

Let me tell you, Igbo speaking natives in Rivers are already half of the state population. Combine it with Igbos from SE and Delta, you get about 70% of the state.

Igbos are at least 1/3 of Delta population.

Yorubas in Kogi are not up to 20% of the state but you are free to inflate the figures all you want.
Ondo is just slightly more populous than ekiti. If ekiti is 2mil then ondo shouldn't be up to 2.5 mil. But you ranked it more populous than Enugu lol
FCT suddenly went missing from your list. Actually 3 of ten people I meet in FCT are Igbos. That is me being conservative. The election result shock you abi after your armchair statistics?

I am not a fan of high population but I easily spot manipulation.

This is another lie. There are more Edo in Abuja than the Igbo population, you can continue to lie to yourself it is your right

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by raumdeuter: 10:39pm On Aug 22, 2023
garfield1

When will the Tribunal verdict be made public
Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by garfield1: 10:41pm On Aug 22, 2023
raumdeuter:
garfield1

When will the Tribunal verdict be made public

Before 21 sept.i suspect next week or latest upperweek

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by Eastlink(m): 10:56pm On Aug 22, 2023
kettykin:

Isn't kwara not formely yoruba land, yorubas are a senatorial zone in kogi. There are not more yorubas than igbos in kaduna and Abuja, you can check your internet, at a time igbos were said to own 75% of the landed property in Abuja .

If yorubas have been trading in the north then where is the proof, igbos lived and worked in the north even before amalgamation of Nigeria so much so that most prominent igbos were born in the north like Nnamdi Azikiwe in born in zungeru 1904 his parents lived and worked in the north while the british were still trying to colonize Nigeria, which means that there were igbo communities in the north as at 1904 Ojukwu was born in the north, Jim Nwobodo too,Rochas, ike nwachukwu was born of igbo father and fulani mother even before the independence, Alex Ekwueme , cyprian Ekwensi were all born and bred in the north , show me any prominent yoruba leader born in the north etc. I am not talking about kogi or kwara , I mean core northern Nigeria, Nzeogwu was born in the north.

Showing me 1 prominent or visible yoruba born in the north before amalgamation like Zik or even before independence like ojukwu and Jim Nwobodo
Even Pete Edochie was born in Zaria and fluent in Hausa. My both grandparents lived in Jos, dad and mom were born there.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by Twist4u: 12:07am On Aug 23, 2023
A wise man once said

" Anywhere you find yourself in world and there's no Igbo man there. please stay away from there. It's not safe"

The wise man did not mention Yoruba.

In my opinion, Yorubas, expecially those From Lagos need to travel more across Nigeria. Majority have very little knowledge of the Nigerian mix outside southwest.

They keep arguing ignorantly about this topic.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by kettykin: 12:16am On Aug 23, 2023
greatiyk4u:

You are vast,
I once handled a contract at Zaki local government, it is located after Azare in Bauch state, I am familiar with all the locations you enumerated, we currently have a guest house and living house somewhere in Gombi local government of Adamawa state

That's nice, I remember sakwa near Zaki, I had to stop over a couple of times for some projects. Very lovely and friendly villagers I met in the north

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by raumdeuter: 12:26am On Aug 23, 2023
kettykin:

Isn't kwara not formely yoruba land, yorubas are a senatorial zone in kogi. There are not more yorubas than igbos in kaduna and Abuja, you can check your internet, at a time igbos were said to own 75% of the landed property in Abuja .

If yorubas have been trading in the north then where is the proof, igbos lived and worked in the north even before amalgamation of Nigeria so much so that most prominent igbos were born in the north like Nnamdi Azikiwe in born in zungeru 1904 his parents lived and worked in the north while the british were still trying to colonize Nigeria, which means that there were igbo communities in the north as at 1904 Ojukwu was born in the north, Jim Nwobodo too,Rochas, ike nwachukwu was born of igbo father and fulani mother even before the independence, Alex Ekwueme , cyprian Ekwensi were all born and bred in the north , show me any prominent yoruba leader born in the north etc. I am not talking about kogi or kwara , I mean core northern Nigeria, Nzeogwu was born in the north.

Showing me 1 prominent or visible yoruba born in the north before amalgamation like Zik or even before independence like ojukwu and Jim Nwobodo

Chief Bola Ige Late Attorney General of the Nation
Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by kettykin: 12:38am On Aug 23, 2023
raumdeuter:

Chief Bola Ige Late Attorney General of the Nation

James Ajibola Idowu Adegoke Ige was born in Esa Oke, Osun State in the South Western part of Nigeria on 13 September 1930.[2] His parents were Yoruba natives of Esa-Oke town, in the old Oyo State (now in Osun State). Ige left Kaduna and headed south to the Western region at the age of 14. He studied at Ibadan Grammar School (1943–48), and then at the University of Ibadan. From there, he went to the University College London, where he graduated with a law degree in 1959. He was called to the bar in London's Inner Temple in 1961

From Wikipedia

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by garfield1: 1:03am On Aug 23, 2023
kettykin:

James Ajibola Idowu Adegoke Ige was born in Esa Oke, Osun State in the South Western part of Nigeria on 13 September 1930.[2] His parents were Yoruba natives of Esa-Oke town, in the old Oyo State (now in Osun State). Ige left Kaduna and headed south to the Western region at the age of 14. He studied at Ibadan Grammar School (1943–48), and then at the University of Ibadan. From there, he went to the University College London, where he graduated with a law degree in 1959. He was called to the bar in London's Inner Temple in 1961

From Wikipedia

Let's not deviate.the topic is about the population of the top three tribes not the population of igbos and yorubas up north.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by raumdeuter: 1:09am On Aug 23, 2023
kettykin:

From Wikipedia
James Ajibola Idowu Adegoke Ige (also known as Bola Ige) 13 September 1930 – 23 December 2001 was born in Zaria. His parents were Yoruba natives of Esa-Oke town, in the old Oyo State (now in Osun State). Bola Ige left Kaduna and headed south to the Western region at the age of 14. He studied at Ibadan Grammar School (1943–48), and then at the University of Ibadan. From there, he went to the University College London where he graduated with a Law degree in 1959. He was called to the bar in London’s Inner Temple in 1961.

https://dnllegalandstyle.com/2017/fallen-legal-heroes-chief-james-ajibola-idowu-ige-san/
Re: Subjective Population Of The Three Major Ethnicities by raumdeuter: 1:13am On Aug 23, 2023
garfield1:

That you are ubiquitous and easy to notice doesn't mean you are more populous
Most Ibos stay together in the North while many of the Yorubas blend into the Northern population they change their names adopting religious names and sometimes claim North, E.g Amos Adamu of NFF officially is from Kebbi State but he is actually a Yoruba man from Oyo state

You know its rumored that Babangida is actually a Yorubaman and many people have actually alluded to this. His name initially was Gbadamosi before he changed to Badamosi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2011: EFCC Seeks Psychiatric Test For Aspirants / NIMASA Intercepts Vessel With Petroleum Products / Why Chris Ngige Should Not Be The Next Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.