Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,209 members, 7,818,707 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:26 PM

The Tragic Story Behind Wyclef's Song: 'Diallo Diallo - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / The Tragic Story Behind Wyclef's Song: 'Diallo Diallo (4231 Views)

The Whole Truth Behind The Tragic De@th Of 3 Tiktok Celebrities That Was Poison / Wyclef Jean, Diallo -black Man Shot By Us Cop / If You Ever Sang Wyclef Diallo Diallo, Then You’ve To Know This. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Tragic Story Behind Wyclef's Song: 'Diallo Diallo by irririchris(m): 8:37am On Aug 26, 2023
The song Diallo, Diallo by Wyclef Jean is a tribute to the life and death of Amadou Diallo, a 23-year-old Guinean immigrant who was shot and killed by four New York City police officers on February 4, 1999. The officers fired 41 shots at Diallo, who was unarmed and standing in the doorway of his Bronx apartment building. Nineteen of the bullets hit him, causing fatal injuries.

Diallo had come to the United States in 1996, seeking a better future for himself and his family. He worked as a street vendor, selling video cassettes and socks, and dreamed of going to college and marrying his girlfriend. He also applied for political asylum, claiming to be from Mauritania, a war-torn country in West Africa.

The police officers who killed Diallo were part of the Street Crime Unit, a plainclothes squad that targeted violent criminals and illegal guns. They claimed that they mistook Diallo for a rape suspect and that they thought he was reaching for a weapon when he pulled out his wallet. They were later acquitted of all charges, sparking outrage and protests from civil rights activists and community leaders.

Wyclef Jean, a Haitian-American rapper and singer, was moved by Diallo’s tragic story and decided to write a song in his honor. He collaborated with other artists, such as Youssou N’Dour, MB2, and Kofi Black, to create a powerful and emotional tribute that blended hip-hop, reggae, and African music. The song features lyrics in English, French, Wolof, and Fulani, reflecting Diallo’s multicultural background and the global impact of his death.

The song also criticizes the police brutality and racial profiling that led to Diallo’s killing, as well as the injustice of the legal system that failed to hold the officers accountable. Wyclef sings:

You said he reached sir / But he didn’t have no piece sir / But now he rest in peace sir / In the belly of the beast sir

The song also expresses sympathy and solidarity with Diallo’s family and friends, who had to endure the loss of their loved one. Wyclef sings:

Mama I understand your pain / Even the angels cry / There’ll be another day

The song ends with a repeated chorus of “Diallo, Diallo”, invoking Diallo’s name as a symbol of resistance and remembrance. The song became a worldwide hit, reaching the top 10 in several countries and raising awareness about Diallo’s case and the broader issues of racism and violence in America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWK81up-DMY
Feel free to follow me on Twitter for more interesting content, and as a bonus, we might also share in revenue with Elon Musk!

https://twitter.com/Chrisdaramola

10 Likes

Re: The Tragic Story Behind Wyclef's Song: 'Diallo Diallo by samwash(m): 9:00am On Aug 26, 2023
Ha!!! I rock this song that year, including the song perfect gentleman from the same album.
In fact " The Ecleftic" album was a bomb.

Many black immigrants still suffering same fate of what Diallo pass through.
This reminds me of George Perry Floyd Jr murder so Patetic.

BLACK LIVES MATTERS .

6 Likes

Re: The Tragic Story Behind Wyclef's Song: 'Diallo Diallo by illicit(m): 9:11am On Aug 26, 2023
Nice song

Sad song

2 Likes

Re: The Tragic Story Behind Wyclef's Song: 'Diallo Diallo by Wawelexy(m): 9:11am On Aug 26, 2023
Police brutality is far more worse in other countries than in Nigeria... They are not your friend

2 Likes

Re: The Tragic Story Behind Wyclef's Song: 'Diallo Diallo by Solofresh2: 9:17am On Aug 26, 2023
Great Jam cool

1 Like

Re: The Tragic Story Behind Wyclef's Song: 'Diallo Diallo by Nobody: 9:20am On Aug 26, 2023
I used to play that song repeatedly while i roll up my weed back then in college

2 Likes

Re: The Tragic Story Behind Wyclef's Song: 'Diallo Diallo by hakeemhakeem(m): 11:03am On Aug 26, 2023
The same almighty america police officer are the same across the globe

1 Like

Re: The Tragic Story Behind Wyclef's Song: 'Diallo Diallo by periphetes: 3:25pm On Aug 26, 2023
It's so sad listening to the lyrics of the song. 41shots should never be called an error by the cops .
Truly one day every being will be judged.
R. I. P Diallo cry cry

2 Likes

Re: The Tragic Story Behind Wyclef's Song: 'Diallo Diallo by MrRemedyAlagbo(m): 3:26pm On Aug 26, 2023
One of my best songs of all time

3 Likes

Re: The Tragic Story Behind Wyclef's Song: 'Diallo Diallo by Lama70(m): 4:31pm On Aug 26, 2023
Very emotional and powerful song. I think his parents were later paid some money through court order.

1 Like

Re: The Tragic Story Behind Wyclef's Song: 'Diallo Diallo by ChemicalReaction(f): 6:59pm On Aug 26, 2023
Wow...
My love for this song sha...

Enemy on the borderline
Who'll be the next to fire
Forty-one shots by Diallo's side
You said he reached sir
But he didn't have no piece sir
But now he rest in peace sir
In the belly of the beast sir
You guys are vampires
In the middle of the night
Sucking on human blood
Is that your appetite?
You said he reached sir
But he didn't have no piece sir
But now he rest in peace sir
In the belly of the beast sir
Have you ever been shot
Forty-one times
Have you ever screamed
And no one heard you cryyy
Have you ever died
Only so you can live
Have you ever lived
Only so you can die again, and be born again
From these enemies, on the borderline
Who'll be the next to fire
Forty-one shots by Diallo's side...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Tragic Story Behind Wyclef's Song: 'Diallo Diallo by Thortp(m): 8:21pm On Aug 26, 2023
I still listened to the song yesterday. It's so sad,especially with American police. So sad

1 Like

Re: The Tragic Story Behind Wyclef's Song: 'Diallo Diallo by Rucheen(m): 8:24pm On Aug 26, 2023
I'll show them I have My ID so them know I am good people

Rastafarian inglish

3 Likes

Re: The Tragic Story Behind Wyclef's Song: 'Diallo Diallo by oz4real83(m): 9:02pm On Aug 26, 2023
If not that African leaders keep killing Africa, no African would have had the need to leave Africa, this continent is so blessed that Africans can afford to live comfortably without having to step foot into another continent embarassed

2 Likes

Re: The Tragic Story Behind Wyclef's Song: 'Diallo Diallo by KingLennon(m): 6:16am On Aug 27, 2023
God bless Wyclef Jean. He poured out his soul on that song.

3 Likes

Re: The Tragic Story Behind Wyclef's Song: 'Diallo Diallo by LowKeyManny: 7:20am On Aug 27, 2023

(1) (Reply)

SO Sad!transgender Woman Pleads For Life Before Mob Beat Her To Death ( Pic ) / See How A Girl Murdered Her Roommate As Other Roommates / Soldier Who Disguised And Got Into Boko Haram Camp Killed In Ambush

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.