Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,703 members, 7,831,202 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. (1704 Views)

Dino Melaye Shows Off His Senatorial Seat After His Victory (photo) / Buhari Loses His Senatorial Unit To Accord Party / Okorocha Shows Swag, Dances Shaku Shaku At His Senatorial Campaign Rally In Imo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by BluntCrazeMan: 5:09pm On Aug 26, 2023
In this video, David Umahi is insinuating that If he wins at the tribunal, that the APC will still retain his senatorial seat, and then conduct fresh primaries in order to replace him.....

BUT THAT IS A VERY BIIGG LIE.!!

His senatorial seat is already vacant at his time of his swearing in as a Minister.
(Going by the Section-68 of the Constitution)

Once his seat becomes vacant,, the seat doesn't belong to the APC any longer.

The Pending Tribunal Case had already become Null-And-Void,, and had been overtaken by events.

So, a fresh election is what should happen.
And not a re-run., as he even mentioned..

(Even if by the time the INEC published the final list of candidates, he is still a minister, but some few days to the election, he stops being a minister,, he cannot contest again in the senatorial election)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ-C8XrYUMA
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by BluntCrazeMan: 5:09pm On Aug 26, 2023
They have started feeding us with lies already

1 Like 1 Share

Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by BluntCrazeMan: 5:10pm On Aug 26, 2023
INEC should come out in public and put this man in his rightful place ooo..

He should kiss the SENATE Good-bye..

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by BluntCrazeMan: 5:13pm On Aug 26, 2023
Lalasticlala, Seun, Nlfpmod
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by BluntCrazeMan: 5:13pm On Aug 26, 2023
Mynd44

1 Like 1 Share

Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by meum: 5:52pm On Aug 26, 2023
Lol. He wants to be a judge in his own case. Oga na fresh election for that vacant seat jare. It’s not the first time this is happening so focus on your new position

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by SoNature(m): 7:24pm On Aug 26, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:
They have started feeding us with lies already

I don't quite agree with you.

Although when cases like this happen, we observe to learn how the judiciary will interpret it.

Ordinarily, parties win elections, not people. That's why you don't see people's faces on the ballot papers.

So, since Dave Umahi decided to choose the ministerial slot, something I find shocking, I think the ideal thing is for the runner-up of APC primary to replace him.
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by BluntCrazeMan: 7:52pm On Aug 26, 2023
SoNature:

Although when cases like this happen, we observe to learn how the judiciary will interpret it.

Ordinarily, parties win elections, not people. That's why you don't see people's faces on the ballot papers.

So, since Dave Umahi decided to choose the ministerial slot, something I find shocking, I think the ideal thing is for the runner-up of APC primary to replace him.
There is provision in the Electoral-Act for someone who “dies” after the party wins in an election but before the certificate of return is given.
But once the candidate had been issued with certificate of return before he “dies”,, the seat becomes vacant.

In this case, no one died... But the candidate who won had serious and cogent reasons to abandon the seat which he won.

So, the certificate of return had been issued.
Anything that happens to the candidate which costs him his elected seat renders the seat vacant.

Meanwhile..
I will search out for the precedences set by some earlier court cases and election petition judgements with similar situations..
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by fergie001: 8:26pm On Aug 26, 2023
SoNature:

For me, the ideal thing is for 2nd to climb up, however, following our laws, there will be a fresh election.
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by BluntCrazeMan: 8:38pm On Aug 26, 2023
fergie001:

For me, the ideal thing is for 2nd to climb up, however, following our laws, there will be a fresh election.

Somehow.. Umahi is saying something which our laws doesn't support.
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by fergie001: 8:41pm On Aug 26, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:
Somehow.. Umahi is saying something which our laws doesn't support.
I believe I jumped the gun.

The tribunal proceeding is still on.
Umahi has not resigned, final addresses have been adopted, we await judgement.
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by ravensckar(m): 10:29pm On Aug 26, 2023
SoNature:

You're not correct bro! Since he resigned from the Senate to accept the ministerial job, his seat has now become vacant. It's the same case of a senator dying or stepping down due to ill health. A fresh election will be conducted.

I'm not a lawyer though but my point is based on precedence.
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by garfield1: 11:26pm On Aug 26, 2023
fergie001:

I believe I jumped the gun.

The tribunal proceeding is still on.
Umahi has not resigned, final addresses have been adopted, we await judgement.

Ben kalu won
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by BluntCrazeMan: 4:38pm On Aug 27, 2023
Lalasticlala,Seun, Nlfpmod
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by BluntCrazeMan: 4:39pm On Aug 27, 2023
Mynd44
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by Babanah: 7:48pm On Aug 27, 2023
I think what the former Governor meant was two scenarios:

1 APC wins at the Appeal Court and since he has already resigned from the Senate, there will have to be a fresh election for his seat.

2 The other party (LP) is pronounced as winner at the Court of Appeal the other candidate takes up the seat and there will not be any need for a fresh election.
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by fergie001: 8:02pm On Aug 27, 2023
garfield1:

Ben kalu won
Both suits (AA & LP) filed against him were dismissed.
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by garfield1: 8:14pm On Aug 27, 2023
fergie001:
Both suits (AA & LP) filed against him were dismissed.

I think this coming week or upper week pept will rule
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by fergie001: 8:16pm On Aug 27, 2023
garfield1:

I think this coming week or upper week pept will rule
They will rule next week.
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by KanwuliaExtra: 8:18pm On Aug 27, 2023
His mouth was just shaking anyhow. . . sounded really dumb.

1 Like

Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by garfield1: 8:21pm On Aug 27, 2023
fergie001:

They will rule next week.

Have they communicated dates to parties
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by fergie001: 8:41pm On Aug 27, 2023
garfield1:

Have they communicated dates to parties
Not officially!
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by garfield1: 8:42pm On Aug 27, 2023
fergie001:
Not officially!

What about unofficially
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by fergie001: 9:06pm On Aug 27, 2023
garfield1:

What about unofficially
Officially, no date has not been communicated to all parties.

Unofficially, it's looking next week.
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by garfield1: 9:09pm On Aug 27, 2023
fergie001:
Officially, no date has not been communicated to all parties.

Unofficially, it's looking next week.

By next week,you mean between 28-1 or 4-8
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by TotoGame(m): 9:22pm On Aug 27, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:
There is provision in the Electoral-Act for someone who “dies” after the party wins in an election but before the certificate of return is given.
But once the candidate had been issued with certificate of return before he “dies”,, the seat becomes vacant.

In this case, no one died... But the candidate who won had serious and cogent reasons to abandon the seat which he won.

So, the certificate of return had been issued.
Anything that happens to the candidate which costs him his elected seat renders the seat vacant.

Meanwhile..
I will search out for the precedences set by some earlier court cases and election petition judgements with similar situations..

What if the Tribunal declares the candidate of LP as the rightful winner of that Senatorial election, it means no By-election will be conducted to fill the void
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by fergie001: 10:08pm On Aug 27, 2023
garfield1:

By next week,you mean between 28-1 or 4-8
garfield1:

September 16 is the rumoured date but I still believe it should be the following week.

8/9
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by garfield1: 10:13pm On Aug 27, 2023
fergie001:

September 16 is the date..

(Unconfirmed)

It can't be na.deadline is Sept 17 which is a Sunday and 16 is a saturday.so I am thinking Sept 15 should be a comfortable deadline.besides,I don't think they will wait till final week to give judgment.the case was concluded early so I feel they would give judgment with a week to spare

1 Like

Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by Knetpro(m): 10:52pm On Aug 27, 2023
Ok
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by Knetpro(m): 10:54pm On Aug 27, 2023
Strange
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by BluntCrazeMan: 5:46am On Aug 28, 2023
Babanah:
I think what the former Governor meant was two scenarios:

1 APC wins at the Appeal Court and since he has already resigned from the Senate, there will have to be a fresh election for his seat.

2 The other party (LP) is pronounced as winner at the Court of Appeal the other candidate takes up the seat and there will not be any need for a fresh election.
Don't change what he said.

Listen to him again..

He said, if they “retained the seat” by winning at the tribunals, then APC will do another primaries to replace him.

But if they didn't win at the tribunals,, there will be a “rerun”..

Re-run?? Between Who and Who.??
Re: David Umahi Lied: His Senatorial Seat Is Already Vacant. by Racoon(m): 5:49am On Aug 28, 2023
I also listened to that interview on Channels TV and was really disappointed of what being in APC have transformed Dave Umahi into. Perhaps he is playing safe in case but this is impunity & lawlessness taken too far.

This is the notorious trademark of anything APC. They have perfected the act of shamelessly lying straight face because lies is richly engrained in their DNA. Meanwhile they have made lies and propaganda official policy of government.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hardship: Don’t Join Protest, Ohanaeze Directs Ndigbo / The Nigerian Civil War And The Gullibles By Monday Effiong Noah / Police Install Surveillance Cameras In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.