Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,957 members, 7,835,190 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:50 AM

Toyota Corolla Starting And Idling Issues - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Corolla Starting And Idling Issues (718 Views)

Toyota Camry 2006 Rough Idling, AC Cooling Low When On Idle / Camry 2.2 Idling Problem / 5 Causes Of Rough Idling Or High Speed In Your Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyota Corolla Starting And Idling Issues by Barton(m): 9:51am On Aug 27, 2023
Hi guys!! Im having a strange issue with my 2007 toyota corolla.
It starts on first attempt the the morning but after it sits for a while, it takes about three starting attempt to get it running.
It also starts if you try after a minute of running the car but once it sits for a 10 minutes plus it wont start immediately.
After i scanned it it gives p0016 code.
Pls help solve this issue!
Re: Toyota Corolla Starting And Idling Issues by Joyoustimmy: 2:00pm On Aug 27, 2023
The P0016 code is related to a timing issue. If I may ask, did you recently work on your car engine?
Re: Toyota Corolla Starting And Idling Issues by Barton(m): 3:56pm On Aug 27, 2023
Not at all, after scanning, my mechanic had to check the timing just to be sure it was aligned and it was
Re: Toyota Corolla Starting And Idling Issues by 7bucklife: 4:04pm On Aug 27, 2023
I think this problem is attributed from either your fuel pump,or something called coldstart. Those might be the major culprits.
Re: Toyota Corolla Starting And Idling Issues by Barton(m): 5:27pm On Aug 27, 2023
7bucklife:
I think this problem is attributed from either your fuel pump,or something called coldstart. Those might be the major culprits.

The fact that it starts once in the morning didnt make me consider the cold start sensor but id have my technician have a look at the fuel pump. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Corolla Starting And Idling Issues by Dozieson(m): 6:08pm On Aug 27, 2023
Re: Toyota Corolla Starting And Idling Issues by Barton(m): 9:29am On Aug 28, 2023
Re: Toyota Corolla Starting And Idling Issues by 7bucklife: 7:52pm On Aug 28, 2023
What was the outcome.
Re: Toyota Corolla Starting And Idling Issues by Barton(m): 5:19am On Aug 29, 2023
7bucklife:
What was the outcome.
It wasnt the fuel pump nor the ECT sensor
An indepth live monitoring scan by my mech showed some counts of misfire on all cylinders so he concluded it was a timing issue and id have to replace the intake camshaft. He says its a common issue on corollas.
Re: Toyota Corolla Starting And Idling Issues by 7bucklife: 10:26am On Aug 29, 2023
Wow. Thats a lot of work ,which means they will have to open up your engine. Hmmm just be careful because the engine might develop more problems once handled by a nigerian wack mechanic. Why dont you sell the engine and buy another one tokunbo. Repairing engine in the long run outweights replacing it because u will keep repairing itforever.
Barton:

It wasnt the fuel pump nor the ECT sensor
An indepth live monitoring scan by my mech showed some counts of misfire on all cylinders so he concluded it was a timing issue and id have to replace the intake camshaft. He says its a common issue on corollas.
Re: Toyota Corolla Starting And Idling Issues by Dozieson(m): 11:11am On Aug 29, 2023
7bucklife:
Wow. Thats a lot of work ,which means they will have to open up your engine. Hmmm just be careful because the engine might develop more problems once handled by a nigerian wack mechanic. Why dont you sell the engine and buy another one tokunbo. Repairing engine in the long run outweights replacing it because u will keep repairing itforever.

Most times this particular code is as a result of opened engine either to change gasket or something else. There is no course for alarm when you have a reliable mechanic
Re: Toyota Corolla Starting And Idling Issues by Barton(m): 12:29pm On Aug 30, 2023
7bucklife:

Its not actually that much of a hassle, replacing the camshaft has a difficulty level of 4/10 the only place where it needs to be monitored carefully is setting the timing accurately. Even the Tokunbo engines are usually opened sometimes to set the timing or to replace the valve cover gasket

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Corolla Starting And Idling Issues by Barton(m): 12:30pm On Aug 30, 2023
Dozieson:

Most times this particular code is as a result of opened engine either to change gasket or something else. There is no course for alarm when you have a reliable mechanic

My tots exactly, Thanks

1 Like

Re: Toyota Corolla Starting And Idling Issues by Barton(m): 12:33pm On Aug 30, 2023
On proper inspection it seems the tensioner was replaced at some point but the mech did a shabby job which led to a loose chain, this in-turn damaged the cam timing reluctor

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

How A Nairalander Pimped VW Golf2 From Scrap / Unlocking My Radio Code / Bad Fuel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.