Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,644 members, 7,816,647 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? (4083 Views)

INEC To Decide On Poll Shift Saturday / Lagos Apc Primaries: Delegates, Before You Decide On Ambode Versus Shasore / Osama Bin Laden Latest Video - You Decide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by aljharem3: 11:59am On Oct 15, 2011
afam4eva:

The welsh have a different accent from the English people. Have you noticed the way Alex ferguson of Manchester united who's a Scot speaks?

Yes they do but you, can a typical english man tell the difference. As far as Alex Ferguson is concerned, he can pass as a Yorkshire man with is accent.

afam4eva:

With your logic, it means an English Canadian will pass as an American simply because they sound like Americans.

if they were in the same country, then yes they might not know the difference
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by Relax101(m): 12:20pm On Oct 15, 2011
Odunnu:

Same question has bothered me all my adult life. I hate it when I tell people i'm a core northerner and they disbelieve me telling me where my father is from is where I am from. Thats rubbish!!!

If you grew up in the north, then you are just a Bayelsa chick in the north.
I think say you be Igbo girl cos of the way you wrote the language like an expert. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
As for me, I can call anywhere my home state in Nigeria. No wahala.
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by coded777: 2:29pm On Oct 15, 2011
I have lived nearly very many years in a state differnet from where i was born, what do u call that.
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 2:38pm On Oct 15, 2011
coded777:

I have lived nearly very many years in a state differnet from where i was born, what do u call that.

That's why there's no such thing as being a citizen of a state. It's only in a backward place like Nigeria that you hear such. What states look at is how long that person has lived in that state. For example, if you've lived for at least one year in a state in the US, it qualifies you to enjoy all that residents of that state enjoy. In some cases they even transfer your residence immediately. I've seen out-state students doing it so that they can pay the same tuition with in-state students. So, it boils down to where you live at the moment and not where you were born or have lived for a long time.
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by aljharem3: 2:44pm On Oct 15, 2011
afam4eva:

That's why there's no such thing as being a citizen of a state. It's only in a backward place like Nigeria that you hear such. What states look at is how long that person has lived in that state. For example, if you've lived for at least one year in a state in the US, it qualifies you to enjoy all that residents of that state enjoy. In some cases they even transfer your residence immediately. I've seen out-state students doing it so that they can pay the same tuition with in-state students. So, it boils down to where you live at the moment and not where you were born or have lived for a long time.

Nigeria is not backward

America which have an homogenous language and culture can transfer from state to state with ease and still feel at home and even at that people don't like going to Texas and southern american states because of the religious difference
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by aljharem3: 2:46pm On Oct 15, 2011
coded777:

where is ur father from and do u act like an indigene ?
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 2:55pm On Oct 15, 2011
alj_harem:

where is your father from and do u act like an indigene ?

Do you act like an indigene? Are you freaking kidding yourself? So, it all boils down to acting film.
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by aljharem3: 2:57pm On Oct 15, 2011
afam4eva:

Do you act like an indigene? Are you freaking kidding yourself? So, it all boils down to acting film.

I mean do u behave like an indigene.

there is no point in the state he lives having their own language and culture while u a settler have ANOTHER language and culture because it creates divisions.
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 3:05pm On Oct 15, 2011
alj_harem:

I mean do u behave like an indigene.

there is no point in the state he lives having their own language and culture while u a settler have ANOTHER language and culture because it creates divisions.

What do you now say about states like Delta, Rivers and Cross river. Do the indigenes of each state act alike?
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by aljharem3: 3:11pm On Oct 15, 2011
afam4eva:

What do you now say about states like Delta, Rivers and Cross river. Do the indigenes of each state act alike?

You also add Plateau, Kwara, Benue and Kogi

All those state have experienced one form of conflict or have some certain group marginalized while the Majority and Minority have one form of hate harbouring in there heart. Thus they have actually created more hate and division than Unity.

Moreover those state have indigenes which does not limit it to one ethnic group. Were are talking about someone that is not indigenous to the state
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by tampa1871: 4:23pm On Oct 15, 2011
egift:

How can a person live years in a place and be treated a complete stranger in his own country.
This is the major problem besetting Nigeria, imagine someone conceived, born, raised, went to school, work and speaks Lagos language being referred to as non-indigene simply because his/her parents are not Lagosians, until we do away with this primitive definition of State of origin in our constitution, this nation can never be truly united. For me, if you live in a place for 2 years continuously, you are a resident of that place.
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by freecocoa(f): 8:08pm On Oct 15, 2011
In nigeria,you are from where your father comes from,that's the way it has been,una wan change am?
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Oct 15, 2011
Lagos is a Yoruba state.

Was a Yoruba state before it became the capital, and still a Yoruba state after it was no longer a capital.
Just because you have Non Yorubas moving and investing there does not make it any less Yoruba.
It's like calling Tokyo a no-man's land just because you have non-indigenes investing there.

Do not bite the hands that feed you.

One day Enugu is going to become a no-man's land too. kiss
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by aloyemeka1: 8:20pm On Oct 15, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

One day Enugu is going to become a no-man's land too.  kiss

Enugu is 30% Hausa-Fulani, 10% Efik/Ibibio, 3% Yoruba, 40% Igbo and 17% others. Technically it is no more Igboland because the aggregated percentage of non Igbos outweighs the percentage of Igbos there.
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 8:33pm On Oct 15, 2011
@Aloy Emeka
You're lucky that that the "slap your neigbour software 1.0" that I'm developing is not completed. If not I would have sent you a slap using your IP address. What's that rubbish you wrote up there about Enugu's population being 30% Hausa/fulani and 10% Efik/Ibibio and 3% Yoruba. Are you out of your mind or you just want to abuse the little privilege that the internet offers you.
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by jason123: 8:41pm On Oct 15, 2011
afam4eva:

@Aloy Emeka
You're lucky that that the "slap your neigbour software 1.0" that I'm developing is not completed. If not I would have sent you a slap using your IP address. What's that rubbish you wrote up there about Enugu's population being 30% Hausa/fulani and 10% Efik/Ibibio and 3% Yoruba. Are you out of your mind or you just want to abuse the little privilege that the internet offers you.

ROMFLMAO!!!
You dey craze!LOL!!!
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Oct 15, 2011
afam4eva:

@Aloy Emeka

So now you're angry because one of YOUR state might eventually become no man's land.

I need to talk to Seun about your moderating position. Mods should neither be bias or tribalists.
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 9:04pm On Oct 15, 2011
@ Ileke-idi
I have no problem with Enugu being a no man's land. Lieing about the ethnic composition of the state is what annoys me. The SE is one of the least cosmopolitan regions in Nigeria. So, sayimg the Hausa population is 30% is preposterous. Let's be factual at all times.

About being tribalistic. Hmm how exactly was I tribalistic. If being a moderator will stop me from airing my views then I'll be willing to relinquish the title.
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by moshoodn(m): 11:58pm On Oct 15, 2011
So many theories, so many answers. . .
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by aljharem3: 12:05am On Oct 16, 2011
tampa1871:

This is the major problem besetting Nigeria, imagine someone conceived, born, raised, went to school, work and speaks Lagos language being referred to as non-indigene simply because his/her parents are not Lagosians, until we do away with this primitive definition of State of origin in our constitution, this nation can never be truly united. For me, if you live in a place for 2 years continuously, you are a resident of that place.

And you think that without state of origin, the nation would be truly united ?

Why are beroms killing Hausas since Jos is a no man's land as well as lagos and abuja

If you speak Lagos language, know and act like a lagosian then YOU ARE A LAGOSIAN AND NO ONE CAN SAY OTHERWISE unless you do not behave or speak Lagos then you can easily be seen for who you are as a non-indigene.

People from Ogun and even edo, hausa and Itsekiris can pass because you can not tell the difference. That is the whole point of migrating to a region, You blend in with the indigenes even the point that they can not point you out.

Chikena
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by asha80(m): 12:08am On Oct 16, 2011
alj_harem:

And you think that without state of origin, the nation would be truly united ?

Why are beroms killing Hausas since Jos is a no man's land as well as lagos and abuja

If you speak Lagos language, know and act like a lagosian then YOU ARE A LAGOSIAN AND NO ONE CAN SAY OTHERWISE unless you do not behave or speak Yoruba then you can easily be seen for who you are as a non-indigene.

People from Ogun and even edo, hausa and Itsekiris can pass because you can not tell the difference. That is the whole point of migrating to a region, You blend in with the indigenes even the point that they can not point you out.

Chikena

hausas are more likely pointed out in lagos than igbos since they hardly blend in in non hausa societies so stop all these nonsense talks
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by aljharem3: 12:11am On Oct 16, 2011
asha 80:

hausas are more likely pointed out in lagos than igbos so stop all these nonsense talks

Yes igbos as well, sorry for the omission. Moreover how can a Lagosian Point out a non-indigene ?
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by asha80(m): 12:14am On Oct 16, 2011
alj_harem:

Yes igbos as well, sorry for the omission. Moreover how can a Lagosian Point out a non-indigene ?

ask a lagosian
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by aljharem3: 12:16am On Oct 16, 2011
asha 80:

ask a lagosian

Better still sorry, I should rephrase my statement

How did Orji know those Igbos from Abia and those from Imo and other SE states ?
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 12:20am On Oct 16, 2011
@ Alh_harem
This your talk of behaving like a lagosian to become a lagosian is very porous. Ask yourself this question "How do lagosians behave". I thought every human being was unique.
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by aljharem3: 12:24am On Oct 16, 2011
afam4eva:

@ Alh_harem
This your talk of behaving like a lagosian to become a lagosian is very porous. Ask yourself this question "How do lagosians behave". I thought every human being was unique.

Yes every Human is unique but human population, we have pockets of connections that gives us a sense of identity

Jukun have there culture in adamawa, Idoma have there culture in beune , Lagos has his own culture and the indigenes value that like every other person/ Human being.
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by aljharem3: 12:40am On Oct 16, 2011
Afam and co

You people made me digress to Lagos issues abi grin grin grin

Lets use Rivers state as an example next time

Why can't Igbos, Yoruba and Hausa be called indigenes why only Ikwerre, Ijaws Ogoni etc are the Indigenes ?

Reason for this is because I am yet to see a Kanuri man rule and be treated as a PH man

or an Ijaw rule and be treated as an indigene of Enugu state.
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by tpia5: 2:57am On Oct 16, 2011
@ topic

Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by tpia5: 2:58am On Oct 16, 2011
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 3:45am On Oct 16, 2011
tampa1871:

no mind them!! The ugly of it all is when those posturing that it is the way it is done, find themselves victims of people like Orji, they are usually the one's to scream loudest of how unfair, the system, they helped create, is.
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by SEFAGO(m): 3:49am On Oct 16, 2011
Kobojunkie:

no mind them!! The ugly of it all is when those posturing that it is the way it is done, find themselves victims of people like Orji, they are usually the one's to scream loudest of how unfair, the system, they helped create, is.

Hello babes
Re: How Do You Decide Where You Are Form In Nigeria? by MMM2(m): 1:41pm On Oct 16, 2011
where u have ny smileysmiley h alot of 9ja ladies is ur place

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ibb - Boko Haram's Leader - Self Confession From An Ex-boko Haram Leader / 2nd Niger Bridge Construction / AIT Live-patience Jonathan Currently Spewing Thrash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.