Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,051 members, 7,828,698 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:06 PM

Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. (23632 Views)

List Of Premier League Stars At 2019 Africa Cup Of Nations / Nigeria Vs South Africa: (AWCON) 2018 Women Cup Of Nations - 0 - 1 (Full Time) / Nigeria Vs Libya: Africa Cup Of Nations Qualifier - 4 - 0 (Full Time) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by IbileIfe: 2:31pm On Aug 31, 2023
ChristianMuslim:
General Abacha regime best regime ever.. Nigeria always win all the tournament from under 17 to senior level to Olympic
He gave them all the money they needed.
NFA dared not to misappropriate the money.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by ehemwhy(m): 2:31pm On Aug 31, 2023
April 10,1994 , a Sunday.

An unforgettable day for me ! I was just 14 and in SS 1, went to watch the match in Gowon Estate, only the come back home to the news of my father's death .

Dad , I wish you were here , mum passed 25 years after you it wasn't easy but she raised us well .

I have become an accountant and an auditor just like you .

Mum said you always wanted twins, well my wife gave birth to twin girls .

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by aremubabs: 2:32pm On Aug 31, 2023
ChristianMuslim:
General Abacha regime best regime ever.. Nigeria always win all the tournament from under 17 to senior level to Olympic

Abacha loved football and pumped money into it. The players saw him as a father.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by Angelfrost(m): 2:34pm On Aug 31, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Funny enough, about 65percent of the first team was dominated by Igbos and never were we ever concerned about the issue of tribe. We all just grew up enjoying the ball played by these players and believing in their collective capacity to achieve greatness.

Atlanta '96 is a memory that's evergreen. That gold medal saw Nigerians hitting the streets that evening in wild celebrations. I remember having about 4 bottles of that slim fanta, all provided by neighbours who were all scattered in the open in a party-like frenzy. For an entire week, I and my cousin went to and returned from school with different assorted snacks ranging from cabin biscuits, yoyo sweets, locally made pancakes, etc.

Evergreen and unforgettable moments... For a moment then, a greater Nigeria felt possible.

Same feeling when Abacha died, and Abdulsalam announced a transition to democracy.

Nigeria's problems are beyond this world. undecided

1 Like

Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by Nigeriagood(m): 2:34pm On Aug 31, 2023
Igbos are criminals angry
Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by Eriokanmi: 2:37pm On Aug 31, 2023
I almost had a heart attack over this match as a boy grin
Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by BoldBrainz(m): 2:39pm On Aug 31, 2023
Angelfrost:

Evergreen and unforgettable moments... For a moment then, a greater Nigeria felt possible.

Same feeling when Abacha died, and Abdulsalam announced a transition to democracy.

Nigeria's problems are beyond this world. undecided

My brother.. !!

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I darn well miss Sani Abacha!

You have to be mad to be allocated funds to commit into any agency or institution, then have the audacity to embezzle or misappropriate it. You'll be jailed or outrightly shot. And that man had a soft spot for sports and athletics, as well as education.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by judedwriter(m): 2:40pm On Aug 31, 2023
The best team that ever represented Nigeria.

They would reached at least the semifinals of the USA 94 world cup if not for that stylish Roberto baggio goal....

Anyways, they were justified when about half of them won the Olympics gold medal 2 years later in the same USA.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by Eriokanmi: 2:41pm On Aug 31, 2023
ChristianMuslim:
Because you can't play politics under abacha, except the person wan die. They always got their allowance as at when due hence, the commitment seen. If you want your staff to remain committed to you, don't deny them the stipend called salary. Let it come as at when due.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by Bashirkareem31: 2:43pm On Aug 31, 2023
The 2002 final between Cameroon and Senegal should be in the top two.
Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by BoldBrainz(m): 2:46pm On Aug 31, 2023
Eriokanmi:
I almost had a heart attack over this match as a boy grin

This match didn't give us much of a heart attack compared to the '96 Olympics final in Atlanta.

Everyone had given up hope for that match. We were only glued to the tv because of patriotism and belief.

Enter Kanu Nwankwo in the second half, with his jersey that looked like Ganduje's agbada..馃榿!

1 Like

Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by 3seriez(m): 2:52pm On Aug 31, 2023
The 1st football tournament I watched. Kalusha bwalya was a real senior man at this tournament.

Super Eagles formation was on point.

2 Likes

Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by Chibuzoripob: 2:55pm On Aug 31, 2023
cool When SUPER EAGLES are really SUPERTED,their 馃 wa intact NOT the present ones that will give one HBP/Heart attack sad embarassed. YOU Begin to use calculator grin sad

1 Like

Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by toprealman: 2:57pm On Aug 31, 2023
See team, every position is locked down by a real man that understands the game. You have very efficient 7and 11, Jay jay dancing in the middle and Oliseh doing a the dirty central job. That defence line is a dependable wall and if any leakage, Rufai will keep it clean.
This should be when the streets will be empty whenever super eagles are doing their thing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by OduMputu: 3:00pm On Aug 31, 2023
I'll always remember that match. Was in JS3 just before we wrote our JSSCe exams. Was a tough one for me because I'm half Nigerian/Zambian. The deal amongst us guys was that if Zambia wins, they'll carry me around the hostel. If Nigeria wins, I'll have to carry the guys around....can imagine what I went through. Good times though!! Cheers to the Op for this. Stay blessed people.

2 Likes

Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by Nobody: 3:02pm On Aug 31, 2023
Nigeria played with 4-4-2 in those days, not 4-3-3.
Our team was quite solid!
grin

2 Likes

Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by Nobody: 3:03pm On Aug 31, 2023
Helper1000:
Wow i was 30 years old then.This is the second team of Zambia. I was watching the news when I heard thier first team have died in a plan crash These guys played beautiful football..we don't have natural gifted players anymore.. aside osihmen.. .

If you were 30 year old in 1994, you be big bros be that. That was a year before i finished my high school.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by OduMputu: 3:03pm On Aug 31, 2023
[quote author=BoldBrainz post=125486389
馃槀馃槀 馃槀!!!

This match didn't give us much of a heart attack compared to the '96 Olympics final in Atlanta.

Everyone had given up hope for that match. We were only glued to the tv because of patriotism and belief.

Enter Kanu Nwankwo in the second half, with his jersey that looked like Ganduje's agbada..馃榿![/quote]
Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by pipnator00(m): 3:07pm On Aug 31, 2023
What a time!
Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by Cmanforall: 3:14pm On Aug 31, 2023
Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by madridguy(m): 3:19pm On Aug 31, 2023
Elder state man, even as a young boy then i remember clearly the tempo of the match. I can still recall one shot from Yekini that one of the C么te d'Ivoire zangolo out... I still remember their main man then, Abdullahi traore, the guy name no commot for the commentator match...
There was a rumour back then that they the both team were camped in same hotel, Nigeria is down floor while Ivory coast were up, so on the day of the match, they dropped some fetish eggs from up and unknowingly our boys stepped on it and this weaken their legs on the pitch cheesy

I just dey remember my late uncles we watched the match together.

Axis313:
The second afcon that Nigeria won after the1980 own.
I remembered the semi final match against C么te d'Ivoire,they wan kill us e remain small,it was afternoon I just returned from school,I was in JSS 2 then,no light for my area,and we went to the mosque compound to watch the match,the match was second half and C么te d'Ivoire was leading us 2-1,everywhere was tense,na Ben Iroha,the left back save us with an equalizer.
Full time finished,extra time no goals,then penalty kick.
C么te d'Ivoire lost on penalty.

Final match against Zambia,na Amunike two goals won the trophy for Nigeria,after Zambia went a goal up.
We won,and the celebration was wild in our street.
Those were times that that I can die on top Nigeria football,not the ones we are watching now.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by AfonjaConehead: 3:25pm On Aug 31, 2023
1hr44mm+
grin

In za regime of the BULABA!!
Op issa murderer grin

Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by AfonjaConehead: 3:27pm On Aug 31, 2023
madridguy:
Elder state man, even as an old baba grin then i remember clearly the tempo of the match. I can still recall one shot from Yekini that one of the C么te d'Ivoire zangolo out... I still remember their main man then, Abdullahi traore, the guy name no commot for the commentator match...
There was a rumour back then that they the both team were camped in same hotel, Nigeria is down floor while Ivory coast were up, so on the day of the match, they dropped some fetish eggs from up and unknowingly our boys stepped on it and this weaken their legs on the pitch cheesy

I just dey remember my late uncles we watched the match together.

Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by Psady(m): 3:30pm On Aug 31, 2023
Axis313:
I can also recall USA '94,when we are grouped together with Argentina,Bulgaria and Greece,we won Bulgaria 3-0 in our first ever world cup match,losing narrowly to Maradona led Argentina 2-1 after Samson Siasia scored the opener,then beaten Greece 2-0 to top the group,only to lose to Italy who came third in their group 2-1 due to inexperience of one of our defenders who fell the trick of an Italian attacker to cause penalty which was converted by either Roberto or Dino Baggio (both are brothers I always mistook them for one another),I was so sad I refused to eat dinner when I reached homegrin my mum no even send me,I went to bed on empty stomach.
But after the world cup,Nigeria was ranked 4th by FIFA,and that was the highest rank Nigeria has ever attained in the FIFA ranking.
It was that wicked Roberto baggio that knowingly place the ball on our defenders hands ,just because they couldn't break thru our defence wall and time was running out ,I can't forget that experience. Same Roberto baggio took the spot kick and scored the winner goal. I was so happy they lost to Brazil in the final to a penalty shootout.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by DelphiOracle(m): 3:32pm On Aug 31, 2023
MEGAWATCH:
Hmmmmm!

Out of 11 players, one ethic group has 5 players.

This life NO BALANCE at all.
does it even matter?
Are they not all Nigerians?
Wetin u want start now again?

2 Likes

Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by Axis313(m): 3:33pm On Aug 31, 2023
Psady:
It was that wicked Roberto baggio that knowingly place the ball on our defenders hands ,just because they couldn't break thru our defence wall and time was running out ,I can't forget that experience. Same Roberto baggio took the spot kick and scored the winner goal. I was so happy they lost to Brazil in the final to a penalty shootout.
grin
And that one na im pain pass
Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by DelphiOracle(m): 3:35pm On Aug 31, 2023
ehemwhy:
April 10,1994 , a Sunday.

An unforgettable day for me ! I was just 14 and in SS 1, went to watch the match in Gowon Estate, only the come back home to the news of my father's death .

Dad , I wish you were here , mum passed 25 years after you it wasn't easy but she raised us well .

I have become an accountant and an auditor just like you .

Mum said you always wanted twins, well my wife gave birth to twin girls .
hmmmm. Such is life
Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by Psady(m): 3:35pm On Aug 31, 2023
FOJEM:
Nigeria played with 4-4-2 in those days, not 4-3-3.
Our team was quite solid!
grin
yes 4- 4 -2 formation was most played by so many team back then.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by YorubaPrince: 3:36pm On Aug 31, 2023
I remember that great referee back then.. "Lim Kee Chong" cool
Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by Psady(m): 3:42pm On Aug 31, 2023
3seriez:
The 1st football tournament I watched. Kalusha bwalya was a real senior man at this tournament.

Super Eagles formation was on point.
The mention name of KALUSHUA BWALYA back then sends shivers up one's spine , when we meeting the zambia.that guy was so dependable in the Zambia team.
Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by petition20: 3:58pm On Aug 31, 2023
Re: Throwback: 1994 Africa Cup Of Nations Finals. by askdek(m): 4:01pm On Aug 31, 2023
Nairalanders are missing something.....where are the name checkers ? If only we can stop attacking ourselves on names or regions individuals come from,mayo, just maybe something good can come out.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rohr鈥檚 Salary: NFF In Trouble As Sponsors Pull Out / Algeria 3-0 Guinea: Mahrez鈥檚 Wonderful Goal Breaks 19-year Old Curse For Foxes / Leicester Midfielder Kante Joins Chelsea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.