Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,629 members, 7,813,083 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:40 AM

Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil (4566 Views)

Ash Vs Evil Dead Official Thread / My Short Film Script- EVIL GENIUS / Evil Dead 2013 Full Movie Review (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by RuuDie(m): 8:23am On Oct 18, 2011
@ OP,

True that most nollywood movies tend to potray a foreign vs indigenous religion scenario ~ where one is good and the other evil; but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are all together implying or concluding that ATR or indigenous religion is all evil!

Its a simple matter of judgement!
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by omoalayo(m): 8:39am On Oct 18, 2011
I don't thnk we knw what we are saying, Try 2 compare and contrast, Religion has to do with worshiping God, There are many Gods, So on ur own which one is more powerful, ? And who do we worship, creator of heaven and earth or stones and sticks?
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by marveouz: 8:47am On Oct 18, 2011
I am short of words when i watch these movies. Why will you portray your own as evil, that shows the African mentality. i think its time we start appreciating our own. Do not judge what you dont know, Some people just sit in the corner of their room and judge everything about the African religion as evil,
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by MrWhy1(m): 9:27am On Oct 18, 2011
Not every aspect of our traditional religion is that evil. Some ppl just take it to the extreme.

Like Christianity, there is good and evil. Like Islam, there is a good and an evil side.

Afrian traditional religion teaches but side, and teaches against evil. But you still have greedy ppl who misuse their knowledge

Tell them.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by Horus(m): 10:36am On Oct 18, 2011
Why do nollywood movie always display IFA as bad and Christianity good? Shouldnt it be the Nigerian propaganda machine like hollywood? Is it because of our low IQ or inferiority complex that we are displaying our culture as bad?

The Nigerian film industry should stop following Hollywood. Hollywood is keeping you, African, under the Spell of ignorance. They create the illusions to make you want to live in the image of the beast and worship their Christians god. They keep you trapped in the devil’s web of music, money, and sex. That is what Hollywood is all about.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by kjhova(m): 12:10pm On Oct 18, 2011
I have tried as hard as I can to open my fellow Yorubas' eyes to the fact that the ATR's Esu l'aalu ogiri oke elegba'ara is not, cannot and never will be the same entity as the Judo-xtian/islamic Satan/Devil. We just don't have such an evil character in our cosmology. Esu is Eledumare's right hand man. He brings justice, wisdom (as in the popular story of the crossroads) and the reverence for the gods to men. Satan comes to steal, kill and destroy. See how not the same entity they are. Also Olokun in my Edo heritage is another very demonized deity by my xtian/islamic ignorants. Olokun is the patron godess of wealth/fatility and procreation. Not a blood sucking demon as portrayed by nollywood. Someone said to me that ritual killing is carried out by ATR followers. I said yes, terror attacks & religious killing is carried out by muslims while christians dupe/swindle or rape (Rev. King) thier parishioners. Does that make these religions demonic??
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by kjhova(m): 1:09pm On Oct 18, 2011
The problem is that today's Africans were all born into a bi-polar judo-xtian/islamic cosmos in which a good god and an evil satan are locked(?) In mortal combat! In all polytheistic religions, one of which is ATRs like the Ifa worship, there is no such affair. It is unthinkable to have an absolutely good god who can do no wrong or an absolutely evil one who must always be vile. there was no devil or satan. It was Samuel A. Crowther who re-created Esu into the devil to help demonise African religious worship.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by BloodShed1: 10:57pm On Oct 18, 2011
Africans are still mentally enslaved.

White daddy has convinced you guys that your own ways are evil and their ways are good.

But the funny thing is, Christianity and Islam have done far more damage to Nigeria and the rest of the world than any traditional religon ever has.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by God2man(m): 4:45am On Oct 19, 2011
A BIG LIE FROM THE PIT OF HELL. Christianity has done more evil? How do you mean? Are christians kiling or kidnapping people? Are they bombing everywhere? Are they stealing from people? Are they responsible for the economic hardship, we are facing now? Please tell me, what evil has christianity done? Many people would have died untimely, many people would have committed suicide as result of the economic hardship, this set of people, take solace in God, instead of committing attrocities, they go to church and pray for whatever they want,job,houses,children,better life, stop humanizing,stop smoking, stop stealing, yet you are saying,christianity has done more evil. Please and please, criticism is highly welcome but it must be based on facts. Be careful with your utterances, God may not be happy with you. God bless you. God2man.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by Horus(m): 6:12pm On Oct 22, 2011
As long as we accept the Gods of others, we accept an existence of servitude. When we finally remember that our own kingdom has been taken away, when we finally look to ourselves as our own Gods, then and only then will we be free of this spell of ignorance which have lead us into slavery,and servitude to others and there Gods. The only way to return to where we were is to undo that which was done, There must be unity between all our people, if not physically then at least mentally. We must have a agenda for the future, an agenda that will better the lives of all our people.
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by Yewe2011(m): 8:56am On Oct 28, 2011
ignorance and self-hatred

It's a shame a powerful(I believe third largest after Hollywood and Bollywood) and burgeoning industry like NOLLYWOOD is not being used to promote and project Nigerian languages, culture, traditional religion and aesthetics. Even though I'm Ghanaian, I believe Nigeria as the most populous Black country in the world needs to be stable and strong for Black-African people to thrive in the rest of the world. So far, Nigeria is kind of dropping the ball, but there's potential
Re: Nollywood Inferiority Complex: Portraying Traditional Religions As Evil by Nobody: 5:57pm On Oct 28, 2011
God2man:

A BIG LIE FROM THE PIT OF HELL. Christianity has done more evil? How do you mean? Are christians kiling or kidnapping people? Are they bombing everywhere? Are they stealing from people? Are they responsible for the economic hardship, we are facing now? Please tell me, what evil has christianity done? Many people would have died untimely, many people would have committed suicide as result of the economic hardship, this set of people, take solace in God, instead of committing attrocities, they go to church and pray for whatever they want,job,houses,children,better life, stop humanizing,stop smoking, stop stealing, yet you are saying,christianity has done more evil. Please and please, criticism is highly welcome but it must be based on facts. Be careful with your utterances, God may not be happy with you. God bless you. God2man.

I weak for dem o.
Because it is christianity that makes a man go to native doctor to do blood money.
Or Christianity that makes a nurse still baby from hospital to go and do juju sacrifice.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Among This Is Your Favourite Series (season Films)? / Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol / Shola Arikusa Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.