Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,673 members, 7,813,242 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:19 AM

How Does Barry Callebaut Source It's Cocoa Beans In Nigeria? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Does Barry Callebaut Source It's Cocoa Beans In Nigeria? (369 Views)

Are You Looking At A Business Of Selling Rice And Beans In Bag? / Barry Callebaut, Cormart Nigeria Partner To Support The Baking Industry / How To Start A Cocoa Beans Export Business In Nigeria Without Working Capital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does Barry Callebaut Source It's Cocoa Beans In Nigeria? by SeaTrade(m): 12:15am On Sep 03, 2023
So like the topic implies,how does Barry Callerbaut, the Swiss cocoa giant sources its cocoa in Nigeria?
Is there anyone here that understands the entire steps and supply chain?
Will love to get a detailed breakdown of how this works.
Cc emmanuelewumi,ahiboilandgas,emmaodet jedisco,etc...throw more light if you can.
Also,seun, nlfpmod, mynd44,Dominique.
This is front page material in my opinion as it'll give youths an insight into how they can key into the cocoa value chain.
Let's discuss,
No insults and any tribal bs here please, jobless clowns should stay off!

1 Like

Re: How Does Barry Callebaut Source It's Cocoa Beans In Nigeria? by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:53am On Sep 03, 2023
SeaTrade:
So like the topic implies,how does Barry Callerbaut, the Swiss cocoa giant sources its cocoa in Nigeria?
Cc emmanuelewumi,ahiboilandgas,emmaodet jedisco,etc...throw more light if you can.
This is front page material in my opinion as it'll give youths an insight into how they can key into the cocoa value chain.
Let's discuss,

You might need to get that information from the chamber of commerce.

I know we have FTN Cocoa listed on the Nigeria Stock Exchange, I don't know if the company is into exportation.

We also have cocoa farmers in South Western Nigeria, one might need to study how these guys do their thing

2 Likes

Re: How Does Barry Callebaut Source It's Cocoa Beans In Nigeria? by emmaodet: 6:07am On Sep 03, 2023
SeaTrade:
Let's discuss,

Register with NEPC... Nigeria Export Promotion Council.
That is where most importers lodge their import request and the NEPC post this offer on their platform to exporters with terms and conditions, price etc

1 Like

Re: How Does Barry Callebaut Source It's Cocoa Beans In Nigeria? by SeaTrade(m): 9:18am On Sep 03, 2023
emmaodet:

Register with NEPC... Nigeria Export Promotion Council.
That is where most importers lodge their import request and the NEPC post this offer on their platform to exporters with terms and conditions, price etc
Barry Callebaut is in Nigeria already,they handle a huge chunk of the exports.
Looking at possibilities to source and sell to them here in Nigeria so they handle the exports themselves,to diminish export risks.
Not interested in exporting.

2 Likes

Re: How Does Barry Callebaut Source It's Cocoa Beans In Nigeria? by DrAkpamudehe: 9:49am On Sep 03, 2023
SeaTrade:
Let's discuss,

You go and register with them as a local buying agent/supplier, and begin to source for farmers that can supply to you. There is cocoa in ikom, ondo, Edo(sabongida ora), osun, ogun, oyo. Advice you do at ikom except you understand and can converse in yoruba language, otherwise those farmers go use dead and faulty scales bankrupt you, apart from selling you wet cocoa. And you need to go and learn how to do quality analysis for cocoa, to determine which bags are wet, spoilt and unexportable, otherwise you will return back to your village in no time

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Does Barry Callebaut Source It's Cocoa Beans In Nigeria? by SeaTrade(m): 11:05am On Sep 03, 2023
DrAkpamudehe:

You go and register with them as a local buying agent/supplier, and begin to source for farmers that can supply to you. There is cocoa in ikom, ondo, Edo(sabongida ora), osun, ogun, oyo. Advice you do at ikom except you understand and can converse in yoruba language, otherwise those farmers go use dead and faulty scales bankrupt you, apart from selling you wet cocoa. And you need to go and learn how to do quality analysis for cocoa, to determine which bags are wet, spoilt and unexportable, otherwise you will return back to your village in no time
I knew there were technicalities in it like I suspected.
Was just trying to get a clear picture,
I thought of weight cocoa ,faulty scales,then bad ones.
It is big business I can't lie but seem very technical.
How did you get this info if I may ask?
Experience?
Re: How Does Barry Callebaut Source It's Cocoa Beans In Nigeria? by DrAkpamudehe: 11:10am On Sep 03, 2023
SeaTrade:
I knew there were technicalities in it like I suspected.
Was just trying to get a clear picture,
I thought of weight cocoa ,faulty scales,then bad ones.
It is big business I can't lie but seem very technical.
How did you get this info if I may ask?
Experience?

I used to be a player 12 years ago. It's quite competitive in the west because you won't be the only one competing for supplies from the farmers. You are better off focusing on ikom and surroundings in cross river

1 Like

Re: How Does Barry Callebaut Source It's Cocoa Beans In Nigeria? by SeaTrade(m): 11:31am On Sep 03, 2023
DrAkpamudehe:

I used to be a player 12 years ago. It's quite competitive in the west because you won't be the only one competing for supplies from the farmers. You are better off focusing on ikom and surroundings in cross river
I've always competed to sell,would love to see how competing to buy feels haha.
Money dey am?
For someone who have bulk funds to invest that is.
Re: How Does Barry Callebaut Source It's Cocoa Beans In Nigeria? by DrAkpamudehe: 11:55am On Sep 03, 2023
SeaTrade:
I've always competed to sell,would love to see how competing to buy feels haha.
Money dey am?
For someone who have bulk funds to invest that is.

There is money in it, if you are doing high tonnage. That company you mentioned may have minimum tonnage requirements before you can be their supplier. During my time we started with 5 tonne which was 300 to 350k per tonne of naira value that year. In that amount, you will make 25k to 35k profit on each tonne. The prices have more than doubled now thanks to buhari who killed the naira. It is quite capital intensive now due to the fall of the naira. Just visit the company, and demand to see the procurements or purchases manager and discuss

1 Like

Re: How Does Barry Callebaut Source It's Cocoa Beans In Nigeria? by SeaTrade(m): 12:01pm On Sep 03, 2023
DrAkpamudehe:

There is money in it, if you are doing high tonnage. That company you mentioned may have minimum tonnage requirements before you can be their supplier. During my time we started with 5 tonne which was 300 to 350k per tonne of naira value that year. In that amount, you will make 25k to 35k profit on each tonne. The prices have more than doubled now thanks to buhari who killed the naira. It is quite capital intensive now due to the fall of the naira. Just visit the company, and demand to see the procurements or purchases manager and discuss
Yeah I thought so too,they'll definitely have minimum tonnage which I'm not afraid of cos I can fund it easily.
However,na to source bulk tonnage go be wahala.
Re: How Does Barry Callebaut Source It's Cocoa Beans In Nigeria? by DrAkpamudehe: 12:10pm On Sep 03, 2023
SeaTrade:
Yeah I thought so too,they'll definitely have minimum tonnage which I'm not afraid of cos I can fund it easily.
However,na to source bulk tonnage go be wahala.

There are more bulk tonnage in the west, but you need to know how to handle those western farmers. They need serious iron hands, because some of them collect money without delivering cocoa, giving stupid excuses that herdsmen invaded their farm, their mother is sick, their Pekin fell inside gutter, bla bla bla. The business is not a game for the faint hearted, because you will be dealing with diabolical thugs who call themselves farmers. Better, you test the waters with small capital and go from there.

In ikom, you will see many igbo farmers or familiar tribes u can relate with. There are many other companies that you can also register to supply. Olam, saro, Adebowale etc

1 Like

Re: How Does Barry Callebaut Source It's Cocoa Beans In Nigeria? by TreasureHunter(m): 1:47pm On Sep 03, 2023
DrAkpamudehe:

There are more bulk tonnage in the west, but you need to know how to handle those western farmers. They need serious iron hands, because some of them collect money without delivering cocoa, giving stupid excuses that herdsmen invaded their farm, their mother is sick, their Pekin fell inside gutter, bla bla bla. The business is not a game for the faint hearted, because you will be dealing with diabolical thugs who call themselves farmers. Better, you test the waters with small capital and go from there.

In ikom, you will see many igbo farmers or familiar tribes u can relate with. There are many other companies that you can also register to supply. Olam, saro, Adebowale etc

It's very clear you're talking from experience
Re: How Does Barry Callebaut Source It's Cocoa Beans In Nigeria? by SeaTrade(m): 2:05pm On Sep 03, 2023
DrAkpamudehe:

Yeah I get your point.
Yeah I can understand how those interior people can be funny with money,
I'd prefer dealing with semi big players ,
People that can accumulate like 2-5 tons on their own and buy off from them .
Those local,desperado people will be the ones to come up with all those funny stories I guess.
I doubt if someone that can accumulate such volumes on their own will try to be funny with money ,don't you think?
And also safe to buy off from them since they'll already have the stock before you purchase?
But most likely I'd love to deal with terrains I understand sha.
Re: How Does Barry Callebaut Source It's Cocoa Beans In Nigeria? by TreasureHunter(m): 6:19pm On Sep 03, 2023
DrAkpamudehe:

What is the minimum amount a person needs to enter the business of supplying cocoa to these companies you listed assuming a person want to do it on an experimental basis so as to learn the ropes of the business?
Re: How Does Barry Callebaut Source It's Cocoa Beans In Nigeria? by SeaTrade(m): 6:43pm On Sep 03, 2023
TreasureHunter:

What is the minimum amount a person needs to enter the business of supplying cocoa to these companies you listed assuming a person want to do it on an experimental basis so as to learn the ropes of the business?
Big companies have no business with experimenters,
They have plants to keep going and targets to meet,
30ton minimum at a go.
Re: How Does Barry Callebaut Source It's Cocoa Beans In Nigeria? by AngelicBeing: 11:28pm On Sep 03, 2023
cool

(1) (Reply)

I Will Buy Your P.I. Coins For N300! We Can Meet If You Are In Lagos! / What To Know About Abimbola Ogunbanjo Mentioned In Herbert Wigwe’s / Binance Exit May Worsen Youth Unemployment, Says Crypto Traders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.