Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:34 AM

Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League (23766 Views)

Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali / Tobi Adepoju Beaten By Police During EndSARS Protest / Jay-Jay Okocha And Nwankwo Kanu In A Group Photo With World Football Greats (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Christane: 9:48am On Sep 04, 2023
The Nigeria premier league in indeed very local d pitch is not attractive at all ..I do watch south African league cus many non south African play in d league especially some Brazilian players ..

1 Like

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by ClintonDGalaxy(m): 9:48am On Sep 04, 2023
A COMPANY INTO SOLAR AND ELECTRONICS IS IN NEED OF PERSONS WILLING TO BE TRAINED AND PROMOTED TO:

BRANCH MANAGERS
ASSISTANT MANAGERS
TRAINEE MANAGERS
AND WAREHOUSE KEEPERS

FREE ACCOMMODATION IS AVAILABLE

TRAINEES RECEIVE ALLOWANCES AND COMMISSIONS DURING THE TRAINING PERIOD FOR THEIR UPKEEP AND WELLBEING

RENUMERATION: SALARY AND COMMISSION
CALL/WHATSAPP: 08156642099

...GOD IS OUR ANCHOR!
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by TheSuperX(m): 9:49am On Sep 04, 2023
Let's be honest with ourselves, Nigerian league is trash, I can't remember the last time I watched Nigerian league.
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by collins2much(m): 9:50am On Sep 04, 2023
Will u leave crayfish for Turkey, Naija league is crayfish oporoko fish, EPL is fried turkey/chicken
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Boyjaco: 9:52am On Sep 04, 2023
Cry 😭😭😭 all you want brown envelope journalist that just most people honest truth
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Judolisco(m): 9:52am On Sep 04, 2023
iamoyindamola:
But he's saying the truth
Why will I watch epl of naija league that home club hardly lose
npfl would have been more interesting if our ballers abroad come back to play for their youth club for at least a year b4 retiring.... But they won't do dat... Na to dey advertise sportybet or bet naija

1 Like

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Basic123: 9:53am On Sep 04, 2023
iamoyindamola:
Why will I watch naija league that home club hardly lose
Its not about saying the truth,it's about him not making any difference when he had the opportunity as one of Nigerian premier league chief representing delta state.

Read to understand

3 Likes

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Angelfrost(m): 9:54am On Sep 04, 2023
Why do most Nigerians have this penchant for ignoring messages and attacking messengers?!!!

How about you acknowledge the truth or lie in Okocha's submission before calling out his hypocrisy.

Why distract from the validity of his statement by focusing solely on his leadership history, thereby making others ignore the issue raised?!!

I despise Buhari totally, but if he says something brutally honest and true about this nation, I will take it with all objectivity.

It isn't rocket science that South Africans, Algerians, Egyptians, etc, have very robust and commercially attractive local leagues which equally helps them raise football stars... So, why can't the same happen in Nigeria?!

Up till now, most Nigerians don't watch their league games both offline and online... Despite DStv showing the games on tv, they would rather watch Discovery channel than watch them.

4 Likes

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Treasure17(m): 9:55am On Sep 04, 2023
Tobi be speaking in the nonsense. Why on earth will I be in the stadia to watch the Nigerian premier league when in all honesty the environment is always hostile. A league where both the referees and players are not safe. A league where they slapped a referee before the match and told him if you blow rubbish here,you will die.

1 Like

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by ChristianMuslim: 9:56am On Sep 04, 2023
This is the highest level of irresponsibility from a veteran of the NPFL.. we won't take this.. Okocha if i may ask? Im i the one to rebrand or you? Its a monday, i pray u come back to your senses

1 Like

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by muybay: 9:57am On Sep 04, 2023
You don't blast a legend like that.

1 Like

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by adonaimart(m): 9:58am On Sep 04, 2023
Yeah he might be incompetent but what he said is true.

Additionally, I also buy what one nairalander wrote here, NFF isn't using social media well. Posting of league matches isn't done regularly and they expect sponsors to package the league.

NFF doesn't promote the league or the players regularly. And I have watched some league matches and they are too notched.

To make our league attractive, NFF should promote the players, the clubs, the stadia, the venues, the coaches, tournaments,etc. It's a whole package. The media section of the NFF should even go for trainings because that's where the needed push for a total overhaul of our league will start.
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by spiSeyi: 9:59am On Sep 04, 2023
BoldBrainz:

They're both saying the truth. The NPFL is useless and uninspiring.
You still leaving in the past Nigeria Premier League has improved greatly. The league is starting this Saturday cool

1 Like

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Bizibi(m): 10:05am On Sep 04, 2023
NOC1:
This line got me laughing

"When football fans call for Ex-Players to lead football administration in the country, I laugh at it. Let's leave them to honour invitations from politicians and play novelty matches.”

90℅ Nigerians are crooks posing to be saints.
you are among the 90% of Nigerians....

1 Like

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Joevics(m): 10:07am On Sep 04, 2023
STARGREEN:
He can help in repackaging it.

If you hear the he will be at the stadium to kick off a match, the name alone Jay Jay will attract some fans to the stadium.

He has a role to play aside criticism.

Moreover, we are not yet at the stage of comparing English Premier League to that of Nigeria.
Lol. You don't know Nigeria. If he shows too much interest in the NPFL, the people there will think he wants to take over and start fighting him.

Do you know how many people have tried to work and improve the league?
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by jrusky(m): 10:07am On Sep 04, 2023
I think he is right to some extent but with the way he put it its a bit harsh towards our local league moreso our football haven't grow to the stage of comparing it with Premier league the different is too wide.

However, pls no one should ask for my guy head he is just been plain at a wrong time, pls forgive him.
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Reference(m): 10:08am On Sep 04, 2023
iamoyindamola:

That is changing. Last season was not true to type.

However attraction to creative/performing arts is critical in establishing commercial value. Thus there cannot be a case for patriotism or buy Nigeria here.

Music, books, film, sports and leisure, etc will rise and fall, be commercially successful or not by content not compulsion.

1 Like

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Sofistcatdmoron: 10:10am On Sep 04, 2023
FitCorper:
Austin Okocha I respect your achievements in football, but knowing you were complicit in ruining my beloveth Delta state football, choosing money over passion and duty, shame on you. For bringing bet king and joining hands to ruin most Nigerian youths, again I say shame on you. A good name is better than riches.
You are a fool, what is football without betting, you know how football clubs stakeholders make money from premier league etc,
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Thomasankara(m): 10:14am On Sep 04, 2023
[/color]if not nepotism,what does Okocha know about administration to be appointed to such sensitive post. Okocha is better at working for people. Okocha has gone to witness the decadence in the system and he's being honest, himself being a case study.[color=#770077]
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by RecentHistory: 10:16am On Sep 04, 2023
Angelfrost:
Why do most Nigerians have this penchant for ignoring messages and attacking messengers?!!!

How about you acknowledge the truth or lie in Okocha's submission before calling out his hypocrisy.

Why distract from the validity of his statement by focusing solely on his leadership history, thereby making others ignore the issue raised?!!

I despise Buhari totally, but if he says something brutally honest and true about this nation, I will take it with all objectivity.

It isn't rocket science that South Africans, Algerians, Egyptians, etc, have very robust and commercially attractive local leagues which equally helps them raise football stars... So, why can't the same happen in Nigeria?!

Up till now, most Nigerians don't watch their league games both offline and online... Despite DStv showing the games on tv, they would rather watch Discovery channel than watch them.

Okocha was given an opportunity to turn things around. What did he do? He made things worse.

The idiot lacks the moral right to talk down on a league he actively contributed to its destruction.

1 Like

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by RecentHistory: 10:16am On Sep 04, 2023
muybay:
You don't blast a legend like that.

You can mould his statue and put it in your family house to be worshiping.
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Ogaonos: 10:17am On Sep 04, 2023
tundetech5:
Nigeria Super Eagles icon Austine Jay Jay Okocha has been reminded of his time as an administrator after his comments on the NPFL in Kenya.

Nigerian football legend Austin Jay Jay Okocha has come under the storm following comments he made about the Nigeria Premier Football League, NPFL.

According to Pulse Sports, Jay Jay Okocha has revealed that he will not watch the NPFL if there is a Premier League match.

The 50-year-old made the statement during a Premier League trophy tour in Kenya recently.

Okocha on the NPFL
Speaking to Kenya-based Capital Sports, the former midfield maestro was honest and brutal with his assessment of the NPFL.

According to him, the Nigeria domestic league is not well-packaged enough to attract followers like him to ditch European leagues.

“I don’t think I’d watch the Nigerian league if there is a Premier League match on the television, that is if I am being honest because the Premier League is more attractive,” Okocha stated.

Our people will fall in love with something that is attractive and well-packaged. I can take the example of South Africa, the locals there attend matches in the stadium because the league is attractive,” he added.

Journalist replies Okocha
The comments from Okocha have not gone down well with some NPFL enthusiasts who have taken to social media to respond.

Led by Photojournalist Tobi Adepoju, the former Bolton Wanderers skipper has been criticised for his comments.

In a long-form reply posted on the social media platform, , formerly Twitter, Adepoju went down memory lane to remind Okocha of his in-famous time as Chairman of the Delta State Football Association.

“Okocha was supported by Amaju Pinnick & he was elected as Delta State Football Association Chairman which automatically made him a Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Congress Member,” Adepoju posted.

“He ruined Delta State FA & he was judged to be the most incompetent Delta FA Boss in history. He was forced to resign before the Delta FA Congress impeached him, they were pissed and disappointed.

When football fans call for Ex-Players to lead football administration in the country, I laugh at it. Let's leave them to honour invitations from politicians and play novelty matches.”

Source: Pulse Sports Nigeria

https://www.pulsesports.ng/football/story/jay-jay-okocha-npfl-expert-blasts-super-eagles-legend-after-comments-nigerian-league-2023090311255925336
he right because hw many of us can sit dwn to watch npfl or pay for ticket to watch npfl.d problem as always being corruption nd incompetent administration
secondly ,the sport expert dnt really advise d govt properly on media platforms like example state govt funds their state club well but dnt fund nd focuse on their state football league
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Etranshub(m): 10:20am On Sep 04, 2023
The truth is a bityer pill to swallow angry
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by LONEWOLFJOHN: 10:24am On Sep 04, 2023
0TUK0MAYA7:
Good morning, well-meaning Nigerians,

My name is Otukomaya Tunde Olaoluwa. I am 34 and an O-Level holder. I had a car accident last year, lost my job, and became jobless for months.

Please help me; I am seriously hungry. The last time I ate was two days ago, and it was my remaining garri that I drank. Please, my people, I am really sorry for begging, but it is just that I am starving to death. Please, someone should help me with something to eat, no matter the amount. I don't mind. I will always appreciate you. I am starving. I know things are very hard these days. Anything you have to spare, I would really appreciate.

I live at No. 31, Adeola Joshua Street, off cooperative villa road, Badore, Ajah, Lagos State.

If you live near me, please invite me for lunch; I am dying of hunger. May you never lack the good things in life. Please have mercy on me and help me.

My phone number is 0906.604.0652.

Please help me with any amount; #600 will do a lot for me at this time.

Access Bank PLC
My account number is 166.908.8875
My name is Otukomaya Tunde Olaoluwa.

I want to sell my Vivo Y1.

Price: 20k

Please buy my phone. I need to buy food. I am beginning to feel pain in my stomach.
stop embarrassing your self, find a site, tell engineer you are hungry, work and get paid. How long will you continue to do this

1 Like

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Reference(m): 10:25am On Sep 04, 2023
jrusky:
I think he is right to some extent but with the way he put it its a bit harsh towards our local league moreso our football haven't grow to the stage of comparing it with Premier league the different is too wide.

However, pls no one should ask for my guy head he is just been plain at a wrong time, pls forgive him.

But when will grow.

South Africa did not have a practical, national soccer league throughout white rule and it's teams were no where to be found on the continent when the likes of Enugu Rangers, Leventis United and Abiola Babes were consistently playing CAF matches.

But today their teams are winning CAF tities while ours scrape the bottom of the barrel losing even to two bit west coast amateur clubs you have never heard of.

One year our league is on telly, next year it is not, one step forward then three steps back, endless bickering and litigations and every ill reflective of our societal lapses....

Let us just admit that Nigeria is not cut out to be an administrative success in any way, shape or form. And this affects sports.

A country of this size and with the resources we have (manpower I mean, not money) should be way ahead of the rest of Africa in commercial success, in hosting international events, and in culturing far more successful sports people and sporting teams.

Our biases, sentiments and plain old greed will not permit the the solidarity that underpins that.
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by FreeStuffsNG: 10:32am On Sep 04, 2023
iamoyindamola:
You didn't read the report. That's why most of you have no clue of what is going on and no leader takes you all serious. Please read what and why Okocha is even a worse hypocrite than most of those who lament.

Kanu Nwakwo has been appointed as FA Chairman in Abia now o, let's see what he too will do.

1 Like

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by DaveHarry(m): 10:34am On Sep 04, 2023
I watch the highlights of any serie A match 10minutes after match ends. Why can't the NPFL do same so as to get huge followership. I once tried to watch the highlights of warri wolves vs Kano pillars but I searched n searched, had to let go. Since then I never try to even watch any NPFL match highlights. Our football admins don't have the business brain, and they are not even making any attempt to learn. Do you know how much England government, Italy government, and Spain government make from their football leagues. Football business is one of the best ways to generate huge income for the country as well as high employment rate.

2 Likes

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Jetrue3oo: 10:36am On Sep 04, 2023
Adepoju speaks according to the weight of his name e.g ADE means crown in yoruba language and POJU means excess or too much so therefore someone who carries too much crown can not well or reason well with his head ( brain) that is why he speaking from his Anus
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Reference(m): 10:41am On Sep 04, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
You didn't read the report. That's why most of you have no clue of what is going on and no leader takes you all serious. Please read what and why Okocha is even a worse hypocrite than most of those who lament

So what are you saying.

That his failure in the Delta FA is the reason why the league is crawling and had been crawling for a generation.

So if he was a success and a genius in Delta State it will make the NPFL equal to the PFL.

You still do not realize what is wrong with this country. Nigerians love to pretend.

2 Likes

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Femeto: 10:44am On Sep 04, 2023
tundetech5:
Nigeria Super Eagles icon Austine Jay Jay Okocha has been reminded of his time as an administrator after his comments on the NPFL in Kenya.

Nigerian football legend Austin Jay Jay Okocha has come under the storm following comments he made about the Nigeria Premier Football League, NPFL.

According to Pulse Sports, Jay Jay Okocha has revealed that he will not watch the NPFL if there is a Premier League match.

The 50-year-old made the statement during a Premier League trophy tour in Kenya recently.

Okocha on the NPFL
Speaking to Kenya-based Capital Sports, the former midfield maestro was honest and brutal with his assessment of the NPFL.

According to him, the Nigeria domestic league is not well-packaged enough to attract followers like him to ditch European leagues.

“I don’t think I’d watch the Nigerian league if there is a Premier League match on the television, that is if I am being honest because the Premier League is more attractive,” Okocha stated.

Our people will fall in love with something that is attractive and well-packaged. I can take the example of South Africa, the locals there attend matches in the stadium because the league is attractive,” he added.

Journalist replies Okocha
The comments from Okocha have not gone down well with some NPFL enthusiasts who have taken to social media to respond.

Led by Photojournalist Tobi Adepoju, the former Bolton Wanderers skipper has been criticised for his comments.

In a long-form reply posted on the social media platform, , formerly Twitter, Adepoju went down memory lane to remind Okocha of his in-famous time as Chairman of the Delta State Football Association.

“Okocha was supported by Amaju Pinnick & he was elected as Delta State Football Association Chairman which automatically made him a Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Congress Member,” Adepoju posted.

“He ruined Delta State FA & he was judged to be the most incompetent Delta FA Boss in history. He was forced to resign before the Delta FA Congress impeached him, they were pissed and disappointed.

When football fans call for Ex-Players to lead football administration in the country, I laugh at it. Let's leave them to honour invitations from politicians and play novelty matches.”

Source: Pulse Sports Nigeria

https://www.pulsesports.ng/football/story/jay-jay-okocha-npfl-expert-blasts-super-eagles-legend-after-comments-nigerian-league-2023090311255925336
How does this your statement correspond to what he said in Kenya? Would he use his personal funds to make the Nigerian league better. Even you as a journalist is struggling to survive in the NPFL. The NPFL is not marketable and profitable for brands.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mauricio Pochettino: PSG Reach Agreement To Part Ways With Head Coach / Manchester City's Kyle Walker Handed A Three-Match Champions League Ban / Jay-jay Okocha Inducted Into Bundesliga Legends Network

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.