Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,736 members, 7,831,342 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League (23807 Views)

Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali / Tobi Adepoju Beaten By Police During EndSARS Protest / Jay-Jay Okocha And Nwankwo Kanu In A Group Photo With World Football Greats (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by FreeStuffsNG: 10:44am On Sep 04, 2023
Reference:

So what are you saying.

That his failure in the Delta FA is the reason why the league is crawling and had been crawling for a generation.

So if he was a success and a genius in Delta State it will make the NPFL equal to the PFL.

You still do not realize what is wrong with this country. Nigerians love to pretend.
Smh. You are one of those who don't understand the issue. All you are promoting is hypocrisy. It's a great lesson to every arm chair critic out there, when you loud mouth your way into office and now perform woefully, you will be called out for posterity.

1 Like

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Femeto: 10:48am On Sep 04, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

Smh. You are one of those who don't understand the issue. All you are promoting is hypocrisy. It's a great lesson to every arm chair critic out there, when you loud mouth your way into office and now perform woefully, you will be called out for posterity.
The dude is right. Kanu is chairman of Eyinmba now them done jah for CAF champions league. The NPFL no get packaging and better sponsor. You don't expect them to use their personal funds for that.

1 Like

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Havertz29s: 10:50am On Sep 04, 2023
They should develop their dead league instead of throwing shades. I went to enyimba official facebook to see if i can see any highlight of their super 6 win, my brothers and sisters i was shocked with what i saw there.

All these ekuke npfl social media handler should be sacked.

1 Like

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by iamoyindamola(m): 10:52am On Sep 04, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
You didn't read the report. That's why most of you have no clue of what is going on and no leader takes you all serious. Please read what and why Okocha is even a worse hypocrite than most of those who lament
Is this one mad
Naija league they well packaged and look good for your mind
Home team hardly losing is one of many issues affecting that league
You better carry your frustration elsewhere, I send you id your leaders no take you serious
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Newsstories1: 10:53am On Sep 04, 2023
Full Highlight and Winners of 16TH HEADIES AWARD 2023

Watch video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9wuCQl3O4Q
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by mikeapollo: 10:56am On Sep 04, 2023
tundetech5:
Nigeria Super Eagles icon Austine Jay Jay Okocha has been reminded of his time as an administrator after his comments on the NPFL in Kenya.

Nigerian football legend Austin Jay Jay Okocha has come under the storm following comments he made about the Nigeria Premier Football League, NPFL.

According to Pulse Sports, Jay Jay Okocha has revealed that he will not watch the NPFL if there is a Premier League match.

The 50-year-old made the statement during a Premier League trophy tour in Kenya recently.

Okocha on the NPFL
Speaking to Kenya-based Capital Sports, the former midfield maestro was honest and brutal with his assessment of the NPFL.

According to him, the Nigeria domestic league is not well-packaged enough to attract followers like him to ditch European leagues.

“I don’t think I’d watch the Nigerian league if there is a Premier League match on the television, that is if I am being honest because the Premier League is more attractive,” Okocha stated.

Our people will fall in love with something that is attractive and well-packaged. I can take the example of South Africa, the locals there attend matches in the stadium because the league is attractive,” he added.

Journalist replies Okocha
The comments from Okocha have not gone down well with some NPFL enthusiasts who have taken to social media to respond.

Led by Photojournalist Tobi Adepoju, the former Bolton Wanderers skipper has been criticised for his comments.

In a long-form reply posted on the social media platform, , formerly Twitter, Adepoju went down memory lane to remind Okocha of his in-famous time as Chairman of the Delta State Football Association.

“Okocha was supported by Amaju Pinnick & he was elected as Delta State Football Association Chairman which automatically made him a Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Congress Member,” Adepoju posted.

“He ruined Delta State FA & he was judged to be the most incompetent Delta FA Boss in history. He was forced to resign before the Delta FA Congress impeached him, they were pissed and disappointed.

When football fans call for Ex-Players to lead football administration in the country, I laugh at it. Let's leave them to honour invitations from politicians and play novelty matches.”

Source: Pulse Sports Nigeria

https://www.pulsesports.ng/football/story/jay-jay-okocha-npfl-expert-blasts-super-eagles-legend-after-comments-nigerian-league-2023090311255925336

Do you know what it means to be a ''maestro''? SMH
A player that loves individual play, and most times plays to the gallery with no concrete achievement for his team(s) cannot be a maestro.
He was just average with a tendency to show some meaningless and useless individualistic skills that lead to nothing!

1 Like

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by haffaze777(m): 11:01am On Sep 04, 2023
Make him lie?God bless Austin Jay Jay Okocha for Nigeria
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Havertz29s: 11:02am On Sep 04, 2023
DaveHarry:
I watch the highlights of any serie A match 10minutes after match ends. Why can't the NPFL do same so as to get huge followership. I once tried to watch the highlights of warri wolves vs Kano pillars but I searched n searched, had to let go. Since then I never try to even watch any NPFL match highlights. Our football admins don't have the business brain, and they are not even making any attempt to learn. Do you know how much England government, Italy government, and Spain government make from their football leagues. Football business is one of the best ways to generate huge income for the country as well as high employment rate.
My problem exactly, it is not that we are not interested but the league is letting us down big time. Many npfl clubs don't have a active social media handle and those that have, their incompetent admin will be posting tiktok compilation.

I wonder how they intend to attract interest and sponsorship to the league.

1 Like

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Nobody: 11:08am On Sep 04, 2023
spiSeyi:

Things have greatly improved, Jay Jay is only pained because he was sidelined by the new NPL administrator
jealousy? Bro common sense ehn walaihi you don't have.
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by spiSeyi: 11:10am On Sep 04, 2023
Bunkbars:
jealousy? Bro common sense ehn walaihi you don't have.
Borrow me one nah and that is if you have undecided
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Angelfrost(m): 11:13am On Sep 04, 2023
RecentHistory:

Okocha was given an opportunity to turn things around. What did he do? He made things worse.

The idiot lacks the moral right to talk down on a league he actively contributed to its destruction.

Yes, he probably lacks any moral justification... But, is he talking down on the league or talking the present truth of the league?!!

I'm more concerned primarily with the facts he has stated or did he lie?!!

Where should the league be now, and how is it faring currently?!!

These are the talking points which should take precedence over the poor leadership capability of an ex-football player.

By the way... Leadership differs from personal skills. It is a known fact that not every great footballer transitions to great coaching and football management.

1 Like

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by jaxxy(m): 11:24am On Sep 04, 2023
mutiu adepoju brother?
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by FireUpNow(m): 11:25am On Sep 04, 2023
The truth is always bitter. We dey observe the outcome
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by jieta: 11:29am On Sep 04, 2023
Godwin4444:
though okocha get him own for body too but he’s obviously right in this one

Npl that once home team is losing dem go scatter everywhere, investors won’t even look at their side n another thing is corruption n match fixing
But he was there as delta state football association chairman what did he do? What changes did he bring? Or it's not fair to answer this silent question.
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by bong4(m): 11:30am On Sep 04, 2023
NaughtyBrainiac:
Truth. Most people that are quick to criticise always perform woefully when given the opportunity to make a change.

Just like most of these Obedients that don't have anything in their brains. Yet, they are the loudest when it comes to criticising, bullying and cursing.

Interestingly, Jay Jay is an Asiwaju enthusiast.
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by DJInfluence: 11:31am On Sep 04, 2023
Funny how the issue mentioned by Okocha was not even addressed by the journalist.
Ask that journalist if he watches Nigeria league as it's currently package?
How many people knows the number of teams or their names in the league? Me I no kuku know myself because I don't watch it.
Better we start dealing with the issue and not crucify the messenger.
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by GUNITGuy: 11:34am On Sep 04, 2023
Because someone has money or Talent and skill does not necessarily mean they have Wisdom ..
"Jay Jay goofed on this"....
Most good footballers have not been terrible managers from etoo, Jay Jay, to Maradona, to Seedorf
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by GUNITGuy: 11:43am On Sep 04, 2023
Angelfrost:
Why do most Nigerians have this penchant for ignoring messages and attacking messengers?!!!

How about you acknowledge the truth or lie in Okocha's submission before calling out his hypocrisy.

Why distract from the validity of his statement by focusing solely on his leadership history, thereby making others ignore the issue raised?!!

I despise Buhari totally, but if he says something brutally honest and true about this nation, I will take it with all objectivity.

It isn't rocket science that South Africans, Algerians, Egyptians, etc, have very robust and commercially attractive local leagues which equally helps them raise football stars... So, why can't the same happen in Nigeria?!

Up till now, most Nigerians don't watch their league games both offline and online... Despite DStv showing the games on tv, they would rather watch Discovery channel than watch them.
But you've been part of the management of making things better why didn't you make the necessary changes..Jay Jay is just a loud mouth for these and saying this in a Foreign country ....He has profied even from the decadence he so much hate .....Can he be allowed to manage a Third division club in England never they wouldn't allow him but he's been part of the National F.A ...
HE HAS ONLY SUCCEEDED IN FURTHER DEMARKETING THE NPFL......
Let him go to Kenya and be a coach there and let's see they would tolerate some of the nonsense we overlook by this so called football stars in Nigeria
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by enemyofprogress: 11:55am On Sep 04, 2023
Truth is truth
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by phemmyfour: 12:06pm On Sep 04, 2023
BigBlackPreek:
He just said the ugly truth.....
Don't mind the them

As a journalist, how many times did they discuss local league on their show. Even here on NL, how many threads on Nigeria league did you see on front page on weekends? It's all epl
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by magzey: 12:13pm On Sep 04, 2023
He was not polite in his statement a typical of Nigerians we always condemn our countries when we are asked about our country.instead of us to manage situation and give hope but no.
I don't blame him ,how do we have good leaders if the country is not loved by its citizens?
Very Pathetic

1 Like

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by magzey: 12:21pm On Sep 04, 2023
haffaze777:
Make him lie?God bless Austin Jay Jay Okocha for Nigeria
But is unbecoming of him to condemn his country just because he was asked about our local league after all what did he contribute to make the league better ,he failed as an administrator in Delta is not a lie, he should have been polite in his statement as an icon of Nigerian Legendary footballer.
All those saying he said the truth ,is understandable but don't blindly support a mistatement just because you too have the country Nigeria, and you still live in the country.
God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by slam7000(m): 12:39pm On Sep 04, 2023
J J Okocha is known for his dribbling and over confidence inside the football pitch and not for his intelligence and wisdom.

Sadly he remains a hero at Enugu and as a diehard supporter of Enugu Rangers that I am, I’ll forgive his silliness and arrogance.

Team Enugu Rangers. Up Rangers International Fc of Enugu.

3 Likes

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Myer(m): 12:48pm On Sep 04, 2023
iamoyindamola:
But he's saying the truth
Why will I watch naija league that home club hardly lose unless the ref is ready to suffer, the pitch sef only few have high standard
Imagine one qualifying for continental tourney caf have to tell the club to look for another stadium as the one they use is not up to standard

Even the truth must be spoken with wisdom.
He should have first commended the improvement in the NFL in recent times before expressing his concerns.
EPL did not get to the level they are overnight, it took decades and even over a century.

All the same, hopefully this should propel the FG, SG and even Private Sector to invest more in the NFL.
We have the talent and numbers, and our players are practically the ones making some of the EPL teams relevant lately.
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by xtervaganza(m): 1:35pm On Sep 04, 2023
iamoyindamola:
But he's saying the truth
Why will I watch naija league that home club hardly lose unless the ref is ready to suffer, the pitch sef only few have high standard
Imagine one qualifying for continental tourney caf have to tell the club to look for another stadium as the one they use is not up to standard
all that you posted used to happened like 10 years ago. The league is now very competitive. Home teams now lose many times. There are also new investors and some new teams.

Also, the same local league made Jay Jay. He was a product of Rangers international. he should be the last person to drag our League in the mud
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by Reflect7: 4:30pm On Sep 04, 2023
I WATCHED AN NFL MATCH LAST WEEK ON YOUTUBE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 7 YEARS, AND I WAS IMPRESSED BY WHAT I SAW.

ORGANISATION IS ON AN UPWARD TRAJECTORY.

STANDARD OF PLAY WAS IMPRESSIVE.

KUDOS TO ALL CONCERNED.

1 Like

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by DarkJeddi(m): 4:31pm On Sep 04, 2023
spiSeyi:

Things have greatly improved, Jay Jay is only pained because he was sidelined by the new NPL administrator
The Nigerian League have greatly improved?
You mean,the ones that gets dumped out of Continental Competitions,at the first time of asking?
NPFL is a disgrace..
Even the Zambian League is more entertaining..
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by spiSeyi: 5:50pm On Sep 04, 2023
DarkJeddi:
The Nigerian League have greatly improved?
You mean,the ones that gets dumped out of Continental Competitions,at the first time of asking?
NPFL is a disgrace..
Even the Zambian League is more entertaining..
Can you imagine that club like Barcelona won't make it beyond the group stage in UCL for 2 consecutive seasons or Chelsea won't make it to any European competition in a season, that is soccer for you undecided . Meanwhile, Rivers united made it to the Quater Finals of CAF consideration cup last season and Eyimba FC will be playing among the best 8 clubs in the at CAF Super League. Update yourself more on NPL, let's appreciate our own. Attached is one of the preseason tournaments in NPL (Nigeria Premier League)

1 Like

Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by halton(m): 7:02pm On Sep 04, 2023
Some aspects definitely need upgrade
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by ChristianMuslim: 7:29pm On Sep 04, 2023
Okocha himself was a failure.. If only he knew
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by DarkJeddi(m): 7:44pm On Sep 04, 2023
spiSeyi:

Can you imagine that club like Barcelona won't make it beyond the group stage in UCL for 2 consecutive seasons or Chelsea won't make it to any European competition in a season, that is soccer for you undecided . Meanwhile, Rivers united made it to the Quater Finals of CAF consideration cup last season and Eyimba FC will be playing among the best 8 clubs in the at CAF Super League. Update yourself more on NPL, let's appreciate our own. Attached is one of the preseason tournaments in NPL (Nigeria Premier League)
Update myself?
Your two Champions League Clubs got knocked out,at the first time of asking..
That is the recent update..
Don't even start about Nigerian club's history in Africa..
Barcelona FC is a La Liga club and the last time I checked, Sevilla is the current Europa League Champions, your analogy is out of wack!
You can attach whatever,the Zambian League is still much more organised and interesting than the crap NPFL and I don't need any attachments to know that..
I have watched the two and I don't need any validations..
If Enyimba is playing in the Super League,it has NOTHING to do with their current prowess in African football,the last time they did anything in Africa was 20 years ago.
Re: Tobi Adepoju Blasts Jay Jay Okocha After Comments On Nigerian League by DarkJeddi(m): 7:46pm On Sep 04, 2023
ChristianMuslim:
Okocha himself was a failure.. If only he knew
Define a failure?
Explain how an Olympic and African Champion,is a failure..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Victor Oshimen: Bayern Ready To Offer €100 Million As Real Madrid Shows Interest / Ghana Media Blocks Team Bus From Leaving As Players Refused To Speak To Them / Anthony Joshua Vs Joseph Parker Heavyweight Fight Confirmed For March 31

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.