Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,296 members, 7,815,515 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ (15952 Views)

Olukoyede: If I Can Go After My Kinsman Olu Agunloye, Why Not Yahaya Bello? / Sunrise: Leno Adesanya Lured Ministers With Women Over $6bn Mambilla Project- FG / Dr. Olu Agunloye Is Wanted By EFCC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by ijustdey: 8:12am On Sep 04, 2023
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has challenged Olu Agunloye, the former minister of power and steel, to tell Nigerians where he derived the authority to award a $6 billion contract to Sunrise Power and Transmission Ltd in respect of the Mambilla Hydropower Project in 2003.

Sunrise Power is currently in arbitration with Nigeria at the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), Paris, France, over an alleged breach of contract by the federal government.

In the first arbitration, Sunrise is asking for a compensation of $2.3 billion, claiming it had spent millions of dollars on financial and legal consultants before the contract was jettisoned.

In the second one, the company is asking for a $400 million settlement being the terms of the agreement it entered with the federal government in 2020 to end the arbitration.

Nigeria is fighting the claims on the grounds that Agunloye, who suspiciously awarded the contract one week to the end of his tenure as power minister in 2003, acted illegally.

TheCable understands that Agunloye and some officials of the ministry of justice have been quizzed over the Sunrise affair and may soon be charged to court.

In an interview with TheCable at the weekend, Obasanjo stringently denied authorising Agunloye to commit Nigeria to the $6 billion “build, operate and transfer” contract.

When I was president, no minister had the power to approve more than N25 million without express presidential consent. It was impossible for Agunloye to commit my government to a $6 billion project without my permission and I did not give him any permission,” Obasanjo told TheCable.

The former president challenged Agunloye to explain where he got the power and authority.

“If a commission of inquiry is set up today to investigate the matter, I am ready to testify. I do not even need to testify because all the records are there. I never approved it,” Obasanjo said.

When he presented his memo to the federal executive council (on May 21, 2003), I was surprised because he had previously discussed it with me and I had told him to jettison the idea, that I had other ideas on how the power sector would be restructured and funded.

“I told him as much at the council meeting and directed him to step down the memo. I find it surprising that Agunloye is now claiming he acted on behalf of Nigeria. If I knew he issued such a letter to Sunrise, I would have sacked him as minister during my second term. He would not have spent a day longer in office.”

Obasanjo also said Leno Adesanya, the promoter of Sunrise Power, ran away from Nigeria when he was president.

“I would have jailed him if he was in the country because of the things I knew about him. After I left office, he returned and I saw him. I told him that he was lucky I was no longer president. Otherwise, I would have jailed him,” Obasanjo told TheCable.

THE MAMBILLA DISPUTE

Sunrise had on October 10, 2017 taken Nigeria to arbitration for “breach of contract” in relation to the agreement to construct the 3,050MW plant in Mambilla, Taraba state.

Nigerian authorities insist that the contract award was irregular and did not pass through due process.

Agunloye issued a letter awarding the contract a day after the federal cabinet reportedly told him to step down his request for approval and explore other sources of funding for the project.

In his letter to Sunrise, Agunloye also listed pre-conditions for the contract to be consummated and none was met by the firm.

But Sunrise initiated legal action when a bid process for the civil works was announced by the federal government in 2007 and a series of litigation has since stalled the project.

To get the project off the ground, the federal government had attempted to settle the arbitration in 2020 with a compensation offer of $200 million but a lack of funds is believed to have truncated it.

https://www.thecable.ng/exclusive-i-never-authorised-agunloye-to-award-6bn-mambilla-contract-to-sunrise-says-obasanjo/amp

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by TemplarLandry: 8:14am On Sep 04, 2023
cool
Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by Hikana: 8:15am On Sep 04, 2023
Just too many illegalities in Nigeria if you look deeply in the overall Nigerian system because of corruption

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by MrsTwrite(f): 8:17am On Sep 04, 2023
Na una sabi.
Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by bennybuhari: 8:17am On Sep 04, 2023
Obasanjo is majorly responsible for the many woes of this country today

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by Nbote(m): 8:18am On Sep 04, 2023
Wait ooo, Isn't this the Sam's Mambilla project the Buhari claimed was in finishing stages??

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by Nbote(m): 8:18am On Sep 04, 2023
Wait ooo, Isn't this the Sam's Mambilla project the Buhari govt claimed was in completion stages??

6 Likes

Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by JASONjnr(m): 8:24am On Sep 04, 2023
The problem I have with Nigeria is that leaders who sign documents they're clearly briefed by their ministers will always claim innocent of what they signed when things goes wrong.

Obasanjo should either come out open and face the law or he apologized and settle Sunrise.

If Atiku was involved in the contract, he should be arrested ASAP.... He's the reason why we're living in darkness.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by EtovalRealEst: 8:55am On Sep 04, 2023
cool unpatriotic Nigerian always sabotaging the country.... They want to milk the country using terms and conditions ...There should be a control mechanism with regards issues like this, especially at the end of tenures when everyone is distracted ...

8 Likes

Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by BoldBrainz(m): 9:05am On Sep 04, 2023
JASONjnr:
The problem I have with Nigeria is that leaders who sign documents they're clearly briefed by their ministers will always claim innocent of what they signed when things goes wrong.

Obasanjo should either come out open and face the law or he apologized and settle Sunrise.

If Atiku was involved in the contract, he should be arrested ASAP.... He's the reason why we're living in darkness.

Obasanjo has never been known to be a man who loses administrative control of the structures under him. This man is over 80years old, but still lucidly runs his existing businesses and farms.

If going by this his rebuttal, a Minister had no unilateral authority to award contracts beyond the 25million naira valuation, and if he didn't give the approval for this one, then more questions should be asked and me thinks Atiku Abubakar should answer some of these questions.

After all, we all know the infamous roles Atiku has played during his days as Vice President, which have significantly impacted our electricity, negatively.

34 Likes

Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by Guyman01: 9:35am On Sep 04, 2023
TemplarLandry:
cool
You have nothing to contribute but instead of allowing others to make reasonable submission on FP you just drop the useless emoji and walk away

1 Like

Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by ATEAMS: 9:39am On Sep 04, 2023
WOW
Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by illicit(m): 9:40am On Sep 04, 2023
STORY
Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by KingLennon(m): 9:41am On Sep 04, 2023
If you are not from Nigeria and you are reading this, you will think OBJ is a saint cheesy....

Oga OBJ go and relax, Fela bin don tell us your doings. You be criminal sir. Na Buhari dey make am look like say you be saint sad

15 Likes

Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by AntiWailer: 9:41am On Sep 04, 2023
I am sure Atiku did with the hope that when he takes over from OBJ he will legitimize the illegal deal.

A minister cnt just wake up and award billion dollar project

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by tishbite42: 9:42am On Sep 04, 2023
OBJ and Atiku

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by Prenonjebose: 9:43am On Sep 04, 2023
The same Olu Agunloye of FRSC. It's quite unfortunate. Corruption and lawlessness is the tool of politicians.

9 Likes

Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by BigBlackPreek(m): 9:44am On Sep 04, 2023
Obasanjo nearly the sold the entire nation's future away, he should be cooling off in kirikiri maximum security prison by now in a saner clime

4 Likes

Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by sallazlee(m): 9:45am On Sep 04, 2023
bennybuhari:

That is the truth my brother
That baba ehnn
Make I just shut up my mouth

4 Likes

Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by palpablegist: 9:45am On Sep 04, 2023
How can we be sure?

1 Like

Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by rajiedreez: 9:45am On Sep 04, 2023
smiley If Baba said this, it's gross incompetence on his side. How will a minister award a contract of such magnitude without your knowledge. Or is he trying to dodge a bullet.

9 Likes

Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by FitCorper: 9:50am On Sep 04, 2023
There shall be no peace for the wicked, make una just Dey look, Jagaban go deal with all of una wen join hand destroy our common wealth.

3 Likes

Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by Judolisco(m): 9:54am On Sep 04, 2023
Obasanjo still very smart 4 his age....

1 Like

Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by specialmati(m): 9:56am On Sep 04, 2023
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin nigerians always gather together to elect thieves,na the result be this

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by ojobek: 9:56am On Sep 04, 2023
You are surprised that Obasanjo did not mention Atiku.
BoldBrainz:

Obasanjo has never been known to be a man who loses administrative control of the structures under him. This man is over 80years old, but still lucidly runs his existing businesses and farms.

If going by this his rebuttal, a Minister had no unilateral authority to award contracts beyond the 25million naira valuation, and if he didn't give the approval for this one, then more questions should be asked and me thinks Atiku Abubakar should answer some of these questions.

After all, we all know the infamous roles Atiku has played during his days as Vice President, which have significantly impacted our electricity, negatively.
Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by carreport(m): 9:57am On Sep 04, 2023
Mumuu man
Re: I Never Authorised Agunloye To Award $6bn Mambilla Contract To Sunrise, Says OBJ by GistFullGround: 9:58am On Sep 04, 2023
bennybuhari:

What do you know about Nigeria? You yahoo yahoo boy!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Adamawa Guber Election / FG Declares 8th And 9th August As Public Holidays For Eid-ul-fitr / Yahaya Bello's Supporters Stage Anti-Dino Melaye Protests In Ijumu (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.