Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,050 members, 7,863,729 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 02:35 AM

PEPT VERDICT: A Call For Government Accountability - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PEPT VERDICT: A Call For Government Accountability (131 Views)

Pept’s Verdict And The Task Before The Supreme Court By Farooq A. Kperogi / Inside Info On The PEPT Verdict / Verdict, A Subversion Of Justice, Says Pdp...heads To Supreme Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

PEPT VERDICT: A Call For Government Accountability by Laspotect247(m): 10:38pm On Sep 06, 2023
PEPT VERDICT: A Call for Government Accountability

In the aftermath of the 2023 general election, I reached out to my erudite legal colleague to discuss the prospects of resorting to legal action. To my astonishment, he emphatically expressed his profound distrust in our judiciary, even as a seasoned lawyer himself.

The conundrum plaguing the Nigerian judiciary lies in its propensity to accentuate weaknesses, thereby providing a foothold to assail the merits of a petition. Our judicial institution is profoundly fragmented, such that if you were to present 40 identical cases, you would receive disparate verdicts. Regrettably, judgments often hinge on the personalities involved rather than the inherent substance of the cases.

As an illustrative example, consider the paradox where one individual receives a death sentence for pilfering a mere 5 naira, while another is awarded a paltry 30 naira as compensation for a similar 5 naira theft. Perplexed, the petitioner inquires, "Why am I being subjected to such a draconian sentence for an identical offense?" The response from the judge is disheartening: "This is how our system operates, I'm afraid."

In my view, pursuing legal remedies all the way to the Supreme Court proves futile. Instead, our focus must shift towards holding the government accountable. It necessitates unity and preparation for the 2027 general election.

Hope remains undiminished; the majority has been deprived, and the majority has faltered in uniting to claim what is rightfully theirs. With our collective loss, it is now imperative that we embrace one another and wage a collective battle against the opportunists who are holding our nation hostage.

Participation in opposition politics is indeed formidable, but we must be willing to engage in the gritty aspects. Let us not forget the sacrifices made. Rather than allowing these judgments to weaken us, let them fortify our resolve. We may not have prevailed today, but if we persist in our struggle, we can one day redeem this nation.

Victoria Arceta

- omobabaijebu
Re: PEPT VERDICT: A Call For Government Accountability by AllenSpencer: 10:53pm On Sep 06, 2023
One could tell that, the barrister was crying while composing the condolence message.

Too much of emotions was scripted into it.

Take your losses and move-on, 2031 is around the corner.

(1) (Reply)

Birthday: Oludotun Celebrates Rt Hon Egbetokun, Extols His Leadership Skills / Finding Escobar Million’s. Show Live Discovery Family / Soludo Announces Free Education In Anambra From Nursery To JSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.