Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,534 members, 7,816,304 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:13 AM

Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice (12249 Views)

Enugu Police Urges Residents Not To Hold EndSARS Protest / Udom Emmanuel Receiving Bukola Saraki In Government House, Uyo (More Photos) / Ekiti Election: Helicopter With Money Lands In Government House -The Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by Islie: 11:03am On Sep 07, 2023
'Not interested,’ Uyo residents speak on Akwa govt’s plan to distribute 100,000 bags of rice

The state government recently announced some measures, including the distribution of bags of rice, to cushion the economic hardship caused by the federal government’s removal of petroleum subsidy.

The plan by the Akwa Ibom State Government to distribute 100,000 bags of rice to residents of the state would not ameliorate the economic hardship in the state, some residents of Uyo have said.

The oil-rich state is said to have over five million population as of 2016.

Prices of goods and services have continued to climb in Nigeria, and many families have been thrown into poverty and severe hardship since President Bola Tinubu announced the federal government’s withdrawal of fuel subsidy in May.

The pump price of petrol is now N650 or more (it was N250 before the subsidy was removed).

“A total of 100,000 bags of rice will be distributed statewide. Forty bags per village to the 2,272 gazetted villages and other strategic groups,” the Commissioner for Information in Akwa Ibom, Ini Ememobong, said on 31 August, as part of the state government’s intervention.

The government had approved N2 billion in financial support for government workers and pensioners.

Fridays will become a ticket-free day for transport operators and traders in markets in all the local government areas until December 2023.” Mr Ememobong said.

The government also approved the payment of N10,000 bursary to undergraduate students of Akwa Ibom origin in all public tertiary institutions in Nigeria and the distribution of free exercise books to primary and secondary schools in the state.

“Discussions on transportation means like CNG buses and electric taxis are ongoing to ensure an effective, efficient and sustainable rollout,” the commissioner said.

‘Not interested’

In separate interviews with a PREMIUM TIMES reporter, on Monday, some residents of Uyo said the state government’s intervention would not offer meaningful help to the people.

We have seen government interventions through palliatives before, but the impact is always minimal. Random, unorganised palliatives rarely help the situation,Daniel Nweke, a dealer in automobile spare parts, said.

So I am not interested in this kind,” he added.

He advised the state government to create access to credit for small businesses in the state.

Uduak Godwin, a periwinkle seller in Itam Market, said other foodstuffs, not only rice, are required in families’ food menu, and therefore, it would not make much sense to distribute rice to residents.

“The real solution to the hardship we are facing is to return the price of fuel to N250 (per litre),” she said.

Ms Godwin spoke on how the fuel price increase has hit her business.

I used to buy a bag (of periwinkles) for N7,500, but today I am buying it for over N20,000. Even to collect the bag of periwinkles, I pay up to N1,500 for the waybill as against the N600 or N700 I used to pay,” she said.

Jennifer Edoho, a fashion designer in Uyo, said her business relies so much on electricity and that in the absence of electricity supply from the national grid, she had settled for a power-generating set, which compelled her to buy petrol frequently.

She had to increase her charges to customers to offset the high fuel cost, adversely affecting the business as patronage reduced drastically, she told PREMIUM TIMES.

The situation forced her to reduce her charges. “There is basically no profit (for me),” Ms Edoho said.

Saviour Jack, a student at the University of Uyo, advised the Akwa Ibom State Governor, Umo Eno, to go for a sustainable solution like making education affordable instead of paying N10,000 as a bursary, which he said he was not even sure of getting.

“They should reduce school fees and provide scholarships to the less privileged students.”

Pay raise, not rice

Aminigbo Paul, a software developer in Uyo, said the challenge of providing electricity for his tech business in the city has “drained” him and brought down his productivity.

James Agbom, a resident of Uyo, said, “Sharing rice and relief materials is not the answer to the problem we’re facing right now.

“Let’s start with how the government intends to determine the poorest of the poor in the country; what are the parameters? My fear is that the people who need these things the most may not get it, and at the end of the day, it will still be the same old story.”

Mr Agbom said the sharing of rice and other items to residents was not sustainable and that the people would continue to suffer the impact of the subsidy removal.

“I am not particularly interested in the rice or other materials they want to share. After collecting five cups of rice and cooking it, what happens tomorrow? I think making fuel easy to buy at this moment is what we need and not palliative,” a petty trader, Monica Silas, said, adding that her business has been experiencing low patronage since the fuel subsidy was removed.

“I have to pay my rent, pay for other bills, yet there is no money,” she said.

Hamza Osaro, a paediatrician, said he would prefer a pay raise to receive rice from the government.

Mfon Sam, a university student in Uyo, said she sometimes skipped classes because of the lack of transport fare to school.

“I was happy about the N10,000 bursary for students, but when I found out that we needed to register with N1,000 to be able to get it, I just quit.

“The money my parents send to me goes for my feeding, and it’s not even enough. N10,000 cannot do anything for me right now. Let the government subsidise the price of fuel and transportation, please.

“There are rumours about the increase in our fees; I just pray it is not true. If it comes to pass, the government should know that they would have denied Nigerian students the right to education,” she added.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/619982-not-interested-uyo-residents-speak-on-akwa-govts-plan-to-distribute-100000-bags-of-rice.html

10 Likes

Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by TemplarLandry: 11:04am On Sep 07, 2023
grin
Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by Wodu89: 11:08am On Sep 07, 2023
That should be the clear message. Worthy of emulation, Uyo people.

The agenda is clear, pauperized the people further than Buhari did in this institutionalized human grinding machine. Grind them till they become grits and dust. APC poverty producing machinery.

People should be talking about life under PDP and APC and placing it side by side to make clear comparisons. People who thought life was hellish under PDP are suddenly realizing APC brought hell from the underworld to earth

85 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by GeneralPula: 11:10am On Sep 07, 2023
The oil-rich state is said to have over five million population as of 2016.

They’re not much. 5B can deliver more than 100,000 bags of rice Mr. happy hour..

77 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by TemplarLandry: 11:33am On Sep 07, 2023
Great news. Akwa Ibom folks are conscious people.

@naptu2, come take a cue from this. Cool post without unnecessary side stories/ photos. And stop mentioning me in your senseless diary.

6 Likes

Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by inoki247: 11:41am On Sep 07, 2023
Buh shey all this state Govt no fit think on dere own if FG dey think one way dem no fit think differently instead of following the FG way of always sharing up nd down without any significant result....

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by tuoyoojo(m): 11:58am On Sep 07, 2023
Palliative should be in the form of cheap transport alternative not rice.

If that billions have been used to buy buses powered by compression natural gas and provides in urban and run areas that would give the needed palliative

14 Likes

Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by Primusinterpares(m): 11:58am On Sep 07, 2023
If you give a man a fish you have only feed him once but if you teach the man how to fish you have feed him for life.

Our government is intentional about making poverty a tool to control the people while they milk this country dry.

The money for this can be used to build a power company that can serve a community in UYO. Thereby creating jobs for a wider range of people that would be involved directly or indirectly in the value/supply chain.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by buharibanjo(m): 11:59am On Sep 07, 2023
Rice??
What of beans?

15 Likes

Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by nairalanda1(m): 12:00pm On Sep 07, 2023
grin
Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by 900warriorz: 12:01pm On Sep 07, 2023
We no dey yop rice grin

8 Likes

Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by Ofunaofu: 12:01pm On Sep 07, 2023
angry

1 Like

Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by Longinyamapucci(m): 12:01pm On Sep 07, 2023
Yes, we reject it. Give us Obi.

15 Likes

Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by Elitefosa: 12:01pm On Sep 07, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Great news. Akwa Ibom folks are conscious people.

@naptu2, come take a cue from this. Cool post without unnecessary side stories/ photos. And stop mentioning me in your senseless diary.
Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by iammo(m): 12:02pm On Sep 07, 2023
cool

Nigeria simply needs commodity pricing board

Most Nigerians are greedy hence artificial man made greed price inflation

What justify price of bag of periwinkle to move from 7500 to 20,000 .... 200% increase

Same thing with lands around Ibeju Lekki... Go and price a swampy land an get 3 million qoutation, go back a few months time then they just jack it up and call it 15 million

68 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by ThiefnubuBandit: 12:03pm On Sep 07, 2023
Useless government

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by CaptainAyub: 12:03pm On Sep 07, 2023
Make dem go share am for ronu land.
Na them de fight over 2 cups of rice the other day

16 Likes

Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by EmirofAfonjaz: 12:03pm On Sep 07, 2023
Send it to the mandate chanting region of worthless piglets.

On empty stomachs they make the most noise and are abjectly confined to poverty and foolishness.

RONU cool

4 Likes

Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by MichaelSokoto(m): 12:03pm On Sep 07, 2023
Govt shld shove dat rice up their butts!

We are not beggars on d street!
Respect our dignity!
angry

9 Likes

Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by koiki4bat: 12:05pm On Sep 07, 2023
If na some people them go collect the rice ask for ororo cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by HydraFeeds(m): 12:06pm On Sep 07, 2023
Good ,even though palliatives are world wide exercise to help people ,it’s not well organized in Nigeria,looted by the managers and makes the beneficiaries become lazy and unproductive.

The best form of palliatives is to enlighten people about government loan programs and provide more easier loans for small scale businesses .

That way ,many poor people will be elevated to middle income earners and preexisting middle income earners will also enjoy more flows .

1 Like

Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by EmirofAfonjaz: 12:08pm On Sep 07, 2023
They are all in RONU land, shouting mandate , after which they are given 2 cups of rice. grin grin grin grin grin grin

CaptainAyub:
Make dem go share am for ronu land.
Na them de fight over 2 cups of rice the other day

3 Likes

Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by Kcfresh2103(m): 12:10pm On Sep 07, 2023
grin Meanwhile serious gbegeh for PH over palliative matter.
If you are not a card carrying member of PDP and loyal to Wike no near there o.
Even amongst them party members the palliative never go round.

2 Likes

Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by quickee: 12:11pm On Sep 07, 2023
TemplarLandry:
grin

Give the poor small chops and their suppressed minds will follow gullibly. A nation that is supposed to be a praise amongst the developed countries of the world is now a home of destitute communities and impoverished people.
With a population of about 5million people, what will 100,000 bags of rice do in this hard time? Will these bags be shared everyday? Who will share them? Will half of these bags not end up in a politician’s warehouse or store?
Corruption has eaten the past. It is eating the present. It is already going for the future with an insatiable appetite. The people fold their arms expecting America and EU to come and save them. When you awake from your slumber, you will make the right choices for yourselves.
It’s a pity !

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by EdiskyHarry: 12:11pm On Sep 07, 2023
I'm from Akwa ibom State.
The Truth is Akwa ibom State is only big on papers.
This is one of the worst states in Nigeria with no visionary government for years now.
Governors here only think about building 10 lanes roads, stadiums, worship centers, happy hour and many useless projects that won't benefit the masses.
If you are from Akwa ibom staying in Lagos, Abuja, PH etc just stay there, don't be deceived by all the fake industries that are posted on the media, otherwise you will regret.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by OBIDIENTNAIJA: 12:11pm On Sep 07, 2023
Hmmmm
Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by Creamypie(m): 12:15pm On Sep 07, 2023
Primusinterpares:
If you give a man a fish you have only feed him once but if you teach the man how to fish you have feed him for life.

Our government is intentional about making poverty a tool to control the people while they milk this country dry.

The money for this can be used to build a power company that can serve a community in UYO. Thereby creating jobs for a wider range of people that would be involved directly or indirectly in the value/supply chain.
your paragraph 2 alone sums it up

1 Like

Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by Zupay: 12:16pm On Sep 07, 2023
Most of it will end up on the market.
Re: Uyo Residents 'Not Interested' In Government's 100k Bags Of Rice by ObedBaley: 12:17pm On Sep 07, 2023
Useless people

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Valentine Ozigbo Declares Intention To Contest For The Governor Of Anambra State / Governor Ajimobi Sacks SSG, Commissioners & Advisers / Falana: Posting Policemen Outside State Of Origin Is Unproductive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.