Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted (42224 Views)

Transport Fare Skyrocket As Fuel Scarcity Hits Abuja, Five States / Fuel Scarcity Hits Abuja As Marketers Shut Stations / Water Scarcity Hits Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by ogododo: 7:45am On Sep 08, 2023
At least 30 persons have lost their lives in a landslide reportedly triggered by activities of illegal miners in the Kuje Area Council of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja.

Nineteen persons were also abducted in Bwari Area Council of Abuja, on Thursday.

The council area chairman disclosed this during a meeting between FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, and six Area Councils Chairmen.

Expressing shock over the developments, Wike said he would meet with the Director of Department of State Services (DSS) in Abuja as well as the Commissioner of Police to receive adequate briefings on the kidnap and facilitate rescue operations.

He also directed the council bosses to set up surveillance task force in their areas to monitor mining activities.

Wike promised to meet with his counterpart in Solid Minerals, Dele Alake, to tackle illegal mining in the FCT.

Speaking on the challenges confronting the councils, Kwali Area Council chairman, Danladi Chiya appealed to the Minister to come to their aid.

He said, “When we heard about your appointment, we were happy because you have been a Council Chairman and therefore understand our challenges.

“Our challenges are inadequate funding of the local government system. We have the major challenge of insecurity across the six Area Councils. Just today (Thursday), about 19 people were kidnapped in Bwari Area Council. I just received about five in my council who were in captivity for about six days.

“The next is the development of satellite towns. The issue of sanitation is one of the major challenges confronting us.

“There is also no efficient transport facility. The Abuja Urban Mass transit buses are no longer functional.

“Then there is the issue of land allocation. You sit in your council, and your backyard will be allocated to someoje you don’t even know. Your graveyards and worship centres would be allocated and we are saying that we should be carried along in terms of land allocation.

“The responsibility of primary school teachers is on the local governments. The UBE’s payment of salaries lies on the council which by law is supposed to be the 60-40 percent. We are pleading that you help us so that this issue can be looked into”.

ad
Kuje Area Council Chairman, Abdullahi Sabo, lamented the menace of illegal miners.

He said: “The issue of illegal mining in the FCT. There is indiscriminate mining licences given out and this has led to insecurity. They give letters of consent to Chinese people.

“Just few days ago, there was a land slide that took the lives of 30 people as a result of the activities of illegal miners. We appeal to you to engage the Minister of Mines to stop mining in the FCT”.

“On sanitation, we have a problem. Sanitation is a big issue. It is the duty of the council not just to collect the fees but to dispose refuse. We have to sit down and work together on this by adopting a common template.

“On illegal mining, I will talk to the minister. Ordinarily, I would say you should also form your own surveillance taskforce as Chief Security Officers of your councils and make arrests and we will support you. However, I will meet with the minister.”

Reacting, Wike promised to address the issues, saying as a former council boss, he understood their predicament.

According to him; “I am here to work for the FCT, not to work for any political party. I am here to support the administration of Asiwaju to realize the dreams of the founding fathers. It doesn’t matter your political affiliations or religion, I am here to serve all.

“We cannot achieve anything without support from the Councils. We are not struggling for power and so we have to collaborate. It is in your interest as council chairmen to work for the people and that you can do by collaborating with us. What affects you affects me and so I will not be anywhere and allow Area Councils to be shortchanged.

“I will want to advise that we manage what we have but we will work to ensure that what you are supposed to get, that you get it and nobody will shortchange you.

“Insecurity is a major problem all over and those of you who are outside the Municipality, you have to work hard. Information is key. The incident of kidnap you talked about, nobody has reported that to me. It is a serious issue and we need to call an emergency security meeting. I have to call the Director of SSS and the CP now to give me more details because it is every embarrassing to me. Though, I am happy you said the SSS official and the DPO in the affected council are informed and on the situation.

“On sanitation, we have a problem. Sanitation is a big issue. It is the duty of the council not just to collect the fees but to dispose of refuse. We have to sit down and work together on this by adopting a common template.

“On illegal mining, I will talk to the minister. Ordinarily, I would say you should also form your own surveillance taskforce as Chief Security Officers of your councils and make arrests and we will support you. However, I will meet with the minister.”

https://dailytrust.com/tragedy-hits-abuja-30-killed-in-landslide-19-abducted/

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by TemplarLandry: 7:46am On Sep 08, 2023
Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 7:46am On Sep 08, 2023
renewed shege on the beat

74 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by MrsTwrite(f): 7:49am On Sep 08, 2023
Just now now?

4 Likes

Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by STEWpid(f): 7:50am On Sep 08, 2023
Chai..

The useless fat bellies still no won comot their hand for the illegal business despite that a new Sheriff is in town.

The useless rags will not reject the job even at the detriment of their life.

Illegal mining: How foreigners still hold both the Nigerian elites and masses as modern day slaves.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by Ozommadu: 7:50am On Sep 08, 2023
ogododo:

https://dailytrust.com/tragedy-hits-abuja-30-killed-in-landslide-19-abducted/
We appeal to you to engage the minister of mines to stop mining in fct

Chai

Our erudite miners brothers from that side have invaded FCT. grin

I just hope they won't mine people's skull join
undecided

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:51am On Sep 08, 2023
What a Sad news cry

Just few days ago, there was a land slide that took the lives of 30 people as a result of the activities of illegal miners.
Something must be done about this issue of illegal mining.
We appeal to the Minister to stop mining in the FCT and beyond.

May the souls of the dead rest well.

66 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:51am On Sep 08, 2023
OkpaNsukkaisBae:
To still make this about politics.
A big shame on you okpansukka or whatever you call yourself.
Making fun of scores of people dying?
Where is your soul for krissake?
Big shame on you.

People dey o shocked

98 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by ogododo: 7:51am On Sep 08, 2023
Nawa the mother earth de fight us, Osanobuwa.

1 Like

Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by OmoGomesIlorin: 7:52am On Sep 08, 2023
asdfg
Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by lailo: 7:52am On Sep 08, 2023
Only Obidients are rejoicing over the bad news. Enemies of our country can't come one day and aspire to lead it. Igbo presidency NEVER.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by OmoGomesIlorin: 7:53am On Sep 08, 2023
OkpaNsukkaisBae:

I diss you with No think am by Flekta man
Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by Edoreborn: 7:53am On Sep 08, 2023
Hmmmm
Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by Paraman: 7:53am On Sep 08, 2023
May the soul of the dead RIP

1 Like

Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by specialmati(m): 7:53am On Sep 08, 2023
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed everyone should calm down the president is still in india once he comes back every of this will stop

1 Like

Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by Yankee101: 7:53am On Sep 08, 2023
This is tragic
Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by igwebuike01: 7:53am On Sep 08, 2023
E-bola badluck

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by helpee(m): 7:53am On Sep 08, 2023
Really
Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by Boyooosa(m): 7:54am On Sep 08, 2023
Ha
Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:54am On Sep 08, 2023

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by kenny714433(m): 7:54am On Sep 08, 2023
Tinubu's bad luck all over the place. And to think of the fact that Abj didn't vote him....

If not for Tinubu's bad luck, what would illegal miners be doing in a whole FCT?

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by popweezy(m): 7:54am On Sep 08, 2023
PDP
Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by sofeo(m): 7:54am On Sep 08, 2023
Wow.

In Nigeria?
Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by iamtardey: 7:54am On Sep 08, 2023
God … only you knows my mind
Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by specialmati(m): 7:55am On Sep 08, 2023
[quote author= post=125656207][/quote] shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked dont write rubbish oooh
Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:55am On Sep 08, 2023
popweezy:
PDP
Wetin do PDP?!

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by David8107518434: 7:55am On Sep 08, 2023
Contact me for your solar installation please
Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by money121(m): 7:56am On Sep 08, 2023
Wahala
Re: Tragedy Hits Abuja, 30 Killed In Landslide, 19 Abducted by AMAUCHESKY(m): 7:56am On Sep 08, 2023
Oga must you mention party in every of your comment..
Becoming minister for same person you wanted to contest wit...
Imaging Jagaban not being in power for 16years just to plan his way to presidency,
I was thinking you will do the same

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

$1m On Foreign Trips: Fayose Can Say ‘ Whatever He Likes’ – Buhari / Killing Of Fulani Herdsmen In Taraba Was Genocide - Nigerian Army General / Governor Rotimi Akeredolu’s Daughter's Wedding: Tinubu, Bisi Akande, Attend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.