Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,069 members, 7,818,188 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. (4450 Views)

Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? / Aminu Tambuwal And Other Northern Governors Pose For A Shot At Sokoto Airport / How Developed Are Northern States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by KnowAll(m): 11:38am On Oct 17, 2011
Awolowo did as far back as 1955, 56 years ago, Fayemi proclaimed it when he was sworn in as a Governor, so did Aregbesola, Rochas, Godwin Akpabio and a few others.

Why are the Northern Governors running away from this invaluable responsibility and empowerment that would not only raise the wealth levels of each state in the North but can also lead into innovative ideas on how things should be done and how they can be applied effectively.

Are these Governors deliberately making their people poor and  malnourished for their own selfish interest?, or how else do we explain the last Governor of Gombe State’s action who purportedly spent as much as N1.9 billion on supposedly printing a million Dictionary for the state,  so did the wording of the contract says but in fact only 100,000 Dictionary was printed,  surely the learned citizens of the state, if they were educated, empowered and enlightened enough would have questioned the rationale behind this fake contract and false publication, if they were clued on they would have been baying for his blood if he was found wanton.

No Northern Governor should be voted into power if they cannot guarantee free education up to senior secondary school levels. Sending toddlers to school should not and never be a Federal duty in any Federal Republic. If our Feds take up such a duty it would not only be a daunting task but it would be a new outlay for siphoning money out of the Federation account, the establishment of such an agency would have created another hydrant monster like NNPC that would not achieve anything good at the end of the day.

Allowing a wholly central Government to overtly control funding of disadvantage kids in Northern Nigeria would be an administrative disaster and a nightmare that would leave nothing to be desired. The whole exercise would be like pouring water into a basket, men and women who want to be Governors in the North should tie their ambitions and manifestoes to this cardinal point of providing free education up to SSC Levels or no show. undecided cool
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by Nobody: 11:48am On Oct 17, 2011
They believe BOKO is HARAM !
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by Beaf: 12:00pm On Oct 17, 2011
Where will the money to finance free education come from? Most of the core-Northern states generate very little money.

Strangely, at the time I was in school, Unity school students from those areas got very hefty federal govt student and travel allowances to encourage them to go to school. Several states further augmented those allowances with provision allowances and other rubbish; these monies were paid directly to the students, so needless to say, they were always well watered.
The allowances mentioned above are aside from the much lower Jamb cutoff marks required by the quota system for people from these areas, yet they remain educationally disadvantaged, so quite clearly the problem lies elsewhere.

The levels of illiteracy in the core-North is a cultural issue that cannot be fixed with free education.
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by Afam4eva(m): 12:03pm On Oct 17, 2011
Who cares about kids in the north. The northern politicians have proven to be the most useless of the bunch. At least the Yoruba, Igbo and Niger delta political thieves always finds a way to merge their personal interest with the interest of the people. But this Aboki politicians are greedy and have no regard for their people. If they educate their people, who'll be kneeling down and praising them.
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by KnowAll(m): 12:36pm On Oct 17, 2011
Where will the money to finance free education come from? Most of the core-Northern states generate very little money.

Strangely, at the time I was in school, Unity school students from those areas got very hefty federal govt student and travel allowances to encourage them to go to school. Several states further augmented those allowances with provision allowances and other rubbish; these monies were paid directly to the students, so needless to say, they were always well watered.
The allowances mentioned above are aside from the much lower Jamb cutoff marks required by the quota system for people from these areas, yet they remain educationally disadvantaged, so quite clearly the problem lies elsewhere.

The levels of illiteracy in the core-North is a cultural issue that cannot be fixed with free education

If the chap in Gombe can steal 52 billion, I am sure if he lower his threshold a little bit, there would be something substantial left for a free education programme. What of Yuguda getting rid of some of those 900 Special Assistant and Personal Assistant that would free some funds.
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by Beaf: 1:03pm On Oct 17, 2011
^
Like I said, the issue is more cultural than finacial. The only way to solve the problem is a change of leadership in the core-North (that is the only way that culture can be changed). Throwing money at the illiteracy problem there will just be the same as making a burnfire of dollar bills.
The abysmally poor leadership of that region is not only the countries worst nightmare, but also the greatest clog in our wheel of development.
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by Ayowumie(m): 10:25am On Oct 18, 2011
Beaf:

^
Like I said, the issue is more cultural than financial.
Exactly. However, it is pertinent for me to address this mis-givings. There is free education in the north. Atleast, education is free in Borno and kano states.
I am sure some body is ready to ask "Why then are they not going to school?"
The answer is that there are no amenities. In Borno for instance, there are quite a number of schools that do not have roofing sheets while some that have, the students are sitting on bare floor instead of chairs.
In Gubio LGA of Borno State, pupils dont go to school during raining season cos of leaking roofs.
The problem is not whether education is free or not, one of the problems is the lack of infrastructural development. Govt in the north (even in the south now adays) are not making schooling to be interesting.
How do you expect a child to go to school only to sit on a bare floor under the tree? Thats not fun at all. Mind you, this is not only in the north, you can find school infrastructural decay in Oyo, Ekiti, Ondo, Anambra, Ebonyi, Benue and so many others.
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by lucabraski(f): 10:32am On Oct 18, 2011
Funny question.
have u ever heard of the term Ignorance is bliss?
Educating their kids would open the eyes of the little kids to see and know that it is wrong to get married at such tender ages.
The so called rich and big men that usually go for small children and wives, would not want any road block to satisfy theri sickening demands.
Useless peodophites!!!!!!
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by pcmadu(m): 10:34am On Oct 18, 2011
Plz we should stop generalizing, i am a proud Igbo man that is born and raised in d North- Kaduna. The problem is not about free education because kaduna state government offer free education for over 10yrs now. The main problem is that the core northerners(hausa/fulani) dont like going to school. The people over there have a very strange orientation about life
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by bisiaet: 10:37am On Oct 18, 2011
Please this question is for the North themselves to answer because on my view I see it as their choice to remain in total darkness because I have never see these kind of people in my life that produce almost all president ever rule Nigeria and still as this backward.

I have never see these kind of people who put religion silliness above living like a normal human who want progress, development and go along the current pace of the world direction this is just mention few. No one of their leaders, non any governor even the rich among them is ready to talk about given all these street boys a common primary education all they like doing is to say its the West and Eastern people are the barrier to their development so funny indeed.

All they are concern about is Power to rule by force and their region is reeling in abject poverty and backwardness. All they care about is Petrol dollar fighting fOr PTDF[/b]top position. All they care about is ready to pay [b]N50million on the head of SSS chief but can not build a classroom and declare free education even to ordinary primary school kids so shameful indeed.

I'm sorry it is their headache let them sort it out i'm no more comfortable with these people any longer for abodoning what could have benefited them and bring developmebt to them but rather prefer religious sentiment and silliness, prefer to die for power at all cost and prefer to die for oil dollar at cost am so sick of them to be frank what I said may angers them, well I dont give a damn bcause truth always pains so much but must be said.
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by otokx(m): 10:40am On Oct 18, 2011
We that say we have free education down south - of what benefit has it been to us? At least in the north you can leave your house open and go to sleep with your 2 eyes closed; try it down south. Do you hear of bank robbers in the north - they have a very simple way of living.
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by koolJ1(f): 10:41am On Oct 18, 2011
Who would care about western education wen there is d (better)option of almajiri enslavement(of course to memorize d koran) under d guidance of an illiterate and extortionist teacher(or wateva dey r called) who interprets d koran as his limited n uninformed mind permits. Their aversion to proper education wil remain ingrained in them without adequate enlightenment
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by nagoma(m): 10:47am On Oct 18, 2011
Agreed that there is absence of good leadership in the North and in Nigeria as a whole. But there is a failure in understanding why kids dont go to school in the North. There is this assumption that its all because of money - nonsence. When Awolowo was providing free education in the West , Ahmadu Bello was actually paying children to go to school in the north and dont believe that crap about federal money , the money used was Northern Government money, the Federal Government itself was being subsidized by the North in the 1960's - and is well documented.

The governors in the North fail because they cannot encourage(convince)  parents to send their children to school. This is a long story for people who do not know the history of Nigeria and its people but in a few wards;
1. The North had always known about western education - long before the Southern Nigeria came into contact with it.
2. The North in their Islamic books have been warned about Christianity and the use of western education for evangelism.
3. This explained the strong resistance to the british invasion of the North by the Caliphate and the wars and harsh letters exchanged between the \Northern Amirs and the British invaders.
4. You will know that the Sultan(Atttahiru in 1903) after his defeat by the british resolved to migrate than stay and be ruled by non belivers. Of course the british followed him and attacked and killed him at a place which is now in Gombe state.
5. A lot of efffort had been made by the first Northern leaders, the Sardauna and others to present the importasnce of western education and reassure its non influence on religion; this was generally accepted and lage number of Muslim Northerners educated. I will continue
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by bisiaet: 10:52am On Oct 18, 2011
We that say we have free education down south - of what benefit has it been to us? At least in the north you can leave your house open and go to sleep with your 2 eyes closed; try it down south. Do you hear of bank robbers in the north - they have a very simple way of living.

Sorry Brosie so what you just said above is all what you think the usefulness of education are So is education that caused what you have just said above I'm dissappointed by your response because you are one of the poster in the house I respect his view a lot but this one No . Pls dont take it personl.
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by koolJ1(f): 10:54am On Oct 18, 2011
otokx:

We that say we have free education down south - of what benefit has it been to us?
You are kidding,arent you?
At least in the north you can leave your house open and go to sleep with your 2 eyes closed
are yu serious?! Im sure d family of eight butchered in their sleep had dis in mind
Do you hear of bank robbers in the north
no! Cuz dey are more bloodthirsty and averse to financial advancement(im not justifyin robbery)
they have a very simple way of living.
Yeah! Even if it means begging al d days of their lives
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by Beaf: 11:01am On Oct 18, 2011
otokx:

The wonderful benefits of illiteracy!
I keep getting painfully shocked on Nairaland! embarassed
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by bisiaet: 11:06am On Oct 18, 2011
2. The North in their Islamic books have been warned about Christianity and the use of western education for evangelism.

Sorry please which Northern Islamic book you are talking about is it Quoran or another book? I dont seems to get you well.

Because if you are talking of Quorann then something is missing as far as I know The people of Saudi Arabia where the religion originated from are well educated, Iranian poeple are well known to be the most educated of any Islamic country in the world today, Pakistan are well educated and they are doctors everywhere in the world just to mention few so where does the North got their lame excuses from or from which book told them to be living Almanjiri life please shed more light and tell us the verse in the book that forbid education.
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by abouqi(f): 11:23am On Oct 18, 2011
They don't believe in western education remember, and as such they don't like going to school. The very few ones that are educated are just privileged! They do believe ONLY in BOKO which is HARAM!
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by nagoma(m): 11:32am On Oct 18, 2011
Sorry please which Northern Islamic book you are talking about is it Quoran or another book? I dont seems to get you well.
Because if you are talking of Quorann then something is missing as far as I know The people of Saudi Arabia where the religion originated from are well educated, Iranian poeple are well known to be the most educated of any Islamic country in the world today, Pakistan are well educated and they are doctors everywhere in the world just to mention few so where does the North got their lame excuses from or from which book told them to be living Almanjiri life please shed more light and tell us the verse in the book that forbid education.

I am not trying to give any justification for anything , just an effort to provide a historical persepective on how  things emerge. About books , there are hudreds of thousands of Islamis theology books and Usman Danfodio himself wrote over 500 poems, books and documents . Betweeen himself, his son Muhammad Bello, His daughter Nana Asma'u and his Brother Abdullahi they have written upto 1, 500 islamic, political and phylosophical documents. You also need to widen your horizon and read more please.
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by manchy7531: 11:33am On Oct 18, 2011
@afam4eva (m)

[td]Who cares about kids in the north. The northern politicians have proven to be the most useless of the bunch. At least the Yoruba, Igbo and Niger delta political thieves always finds a way to merge their personal interest with the interest of the people. But this Aboki politicians are greedy and have no regard for their people. If they educate their people, who'll be kneeling down and praising them.
[/td]

U said it all

by the way i wonder if we have an education minister,

oh!! i just remembered she from the north.

can we imagine? and we expect the standard of education to improve in Nigeria when the minister herself is does no believe in western education.

i weep for Nigeria,its very unfortunate.    

REVOLUTION IS THE ANSWER. we can unite ourselves and use Nairaland to start a mass revolution,rather then all the tribal rantings that is synonymous to Nairaland

Youths of Nigeria please let us all wake up,the future is now,enough is enough.lets us stop behaving like as if we are still in 1960, it is time to unite and fight our common enemy CORRUPT and BAD LEADERSHIP
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by Dpharisee: 11:39am On Oct 18, 2011
Beaf:

^
Like I said, the issue is more cultural than finacial. The only way to solve the problem is a change of leadership in the core-North (that is the only way that culture can be changed). Throwing money at the illiteracy problem there will just be the same as making a burnfire of dollar bills.
The abysmally poor leadership of that region is not only the countries worst nightmare, but also the greatest clog in our wheel of development.

Roger that!the Emirs dont encourage the children of the talakawas to go to school and sit in the same class with princes; they are rather encouraged by the Emirs to memorize the Koran at the madrassas for Allahs blessings while their own children and those of the elite in the community are sent out of their communities to go and live with other Emirs or sarikis to study western education.
The talakawas are meant to believe from childhood that they are made to serve the Emirs who was appointed by Allah. This is unlike in the South were the children of the Oba or Eze or Jaja are recognised for their prowess in areas of life by the community like football skills and are free to mingle with other kids in class at the village schools.
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by nagoma(m): 11:45am On Oct 18, 2011
Obviously the southerners who were not in touch with any civilization and were living a primitive life as recently as the 18th and 19th centuary are now having the last laugh. The changes in the world , the industrial revolution and movement of the focus of civilization to the West means that people who have some conflicting heritage to defend are at a great disadvantage and at a loss unless they realize that the world has moved on. This is where the North got stuck. They think (or at least there masses think they have a heritage of civilization to protect).
As for the south , in the majority do not really have any strong civilization to protect and were able to accept in totality all that is western - the religion, the clothing, the drinks,the education, the way of life and infact almost all of them(southern Nigerians) aspire to migrate to the West if they can make it. It is a great ambition in their lives.

This Northern disadvantage is aggravated by the lack of leadership in the north and in the country and also world order that appears to be persecutory to muslims. This does not give an atmosphere for northern masses to crave for western education. Money does not come into it.
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by maasoap(m): 11:49am On Oct 18, 2011
@OP, when are we going to stop posting something we know nothing about but purely based on our assumption? Your question is good but you got it wrong with your explanation. Free education or no free education, average Northern person hates Western education, pls get it into your brain. And if you don't dig deep, you won't know the factors responsible for this aversion. Free education in the North is more comprehensive than that of the South West. The money that parents are pumping into education in the South is multiple of what Northern parents are spending every year. My room mate is from Kastina State and he spent 4 years in the State university without paying kobo as fees. During registration, they would just issue receipts to them once they identify themselves as indigens. And this was not even a scholarship. Which state in the South is offering free education to its indigens at Uni level? Instead, the charges are just too high in the South most especially the state owned uni, poly and NCE plus too high cut off marks. Are you even aware of the great difference between cut off marks in the North and South?
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by KnowAll(m): 11:54am On Oct 18, 2011
[size=16pt]In fact the middle belters sef don they open eyes finish, I saw some lady in some bar in London and she told me she was from Markurdi. I said to myself so you people don they travel, surely I don tay for jand oh Naija don change, when I was in Naija na only soldier Agatu people they do but now civilisation has spread all over the middle belt states of Kogi, Benue, Plateau and Southern Kaduna(there is woman from S.Kaduna in my church and she is a businesswoman extraordinary, even S.Kaduna don they travel well well. Those are the wonders of education. Meanwhile Hausa/Fulani are still roaming all over the countryside with cows leaving a life their forefathers lived in the 1920’s in 2011.[/size]
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by Beaf: 12:11pm On Oct 18, 2011
KnowAll:

In fact the middle belters sef don they open eyes finish, I saw some lady in some bar in London and she told me she was from Markurdi. I said to myself so you people don they travel, surely I don tay for jand oh Naija don change, when I was in Naija na only soldier Agatu people they do but now civilisation has spread all over the middle belt states of Kogi, Benue, Plateau and Southern Kaduna(there is woman from S.Kaduna in my church and she is a businesswoman extraordinary, even S.Kaduna don they travel well well. Those are the wonders of education. Meanwhile Hausa/Fulani are still roaming all over the countryside with cows leaving a life their forefathers lived in the 1920’s in 2011.

With due respect, this is an extraordinarily foolish and entirely worthless post.
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by KnowAll(m): 12:36pm On Oct 18, 2011
With due respect, this is an extraordinarily foolish and entirely worthless post.

Becos u belong to a similar group who were in d doldrums not until the early 70’s if not for education, Urobhos use to work in my Grand Father’s cocoa farm in Ondo Town as indenture labourers. The middlebelters should feel proud of how far they have gone and that is thanks to education. Hopefully the Hausa/Fulani can borrow a leaf from their brethrens experience.
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by Guardian(m): 12:57pm On Oct 18, 2011
Plain and simple. The Northern Leaders are all educated. This we know.

The Northern Governors have simply refused to allow free education because it would empower the populace and ultimately their influence and power become threatened.

In the North, the majority of the Educated are the Elite !! and the Elite control and they continue to ensure that their children are sent to some of the best schools in the world so as to remain influential and gain access to power.

You all need not dig in further.

How could they make the biggest mistake of empowering the low leveled or masses to gain education ?
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by mafolayomi(f): 1:07pm On Oct 18, 2011
because boko is haram!
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by koolJ1(f): 1:39pm On Oct 18, 2011
And oh because they attach so little importance to education as a result of ignorance,that gives the little wimps d guts to take their cattle along to school. Yes! Thats wat youth corpers report! Teaching students who are more interested in their cattle and who carry weapons about.
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by Reference(m): 2:52pm On Oct 18, 2011
Because a zoo requires more attention than a game reserve, period.
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by hakanai(m): 3:23pm On Oct 18, 2011
nagoma:

Obviously the southerners who were not in touch with any civilization and were living a primitive life as recently as the 18th and 19th centuary are now having the last laugh. The changes in the world , the industrial revolution and movement of the focus of civilization to the West means that people who have some conflicting heritage to defend are at a great disadvantage and at a loss unless they realize that the world has moved on. This is where the North got stuck. They think (or at least there masses think they have a heritage of civilization to protect).
As for the south , in the majority do not really have any strong civilization to protect and were able to accept in totality all that is western - the religion, the clothing, the drinks,the education, the way of life and infact almost all of them(southern Nigerians) aspire to migrate to the West if they can make it. It is a great ambition in their lives.

This Northern disadvantage is aggravated by the lack of leadership in the north and in the country and also world order that appears to be persecutory to muslims. This does not give an atmosphere for northern masses to crave for western education. Money does not come into it.

^^^^^ Couldn't have said any different.But on one hand is time the governors insist that there people embrace education en-mass and also ensure such educations are of average quality for now unitl subsequent standards are raised to meet intl standards.For me i don't care using wipes to force children to schools and make sure they are given orientations to encourage them on making sure they continue to further same.I know things are changing even in the north. people claiming that northerners are the same educationally as 10 years back are just peddling lies.Alot of people now see the importance of knowledge especially western and theological.We only need to enocourage more,improve quality and provide for more students.
some parents are stubborn and they need the wipe if need be.Education must not be optional.I would choose compulsory until they attain a certain level.
More northerners attend schools now than before.But alot needs to be done.In terms of quality,orientation in schools and outside schools.Even western eductaion can be customised to me our cultural views.If religious study is so important we could add it to science and other fields of education in the curiculum so that students can end up being up to date yet remain within the cultural beliefs/educational drive of necessary to the communities and the world.
Afterall education encompasses all form of literacy.You may wonder how a chinese is thought biology in mandarin? or a Japanese thought how to compute or use calculus!!!
Re: Why Are Northern Governors Not Declaring Free Education For Their Kids. by kings33(m): 3:37pm On Oct 18, 2011
If the almajiris get liberated there wont be religious thugs brained washed with cynism about others who arent of the same faith

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"If You Could Get Rid Of One State In nigeria, Which Would It Be And Why / Oduduwa United Kingdom: Yoruba Too Are Planning To Divide Nigeria / Who Won Tonight's Edo Governorship Debate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.