Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu (11350 Views)

Tribunal Sacks APC's Udende, Returns PDP's Suswam / Tribunal Sacks LP's Ngozi Okolie, Returns PDP's Ndudi Elumelu / Enugu: Tribunal Rejects Mbah’s Request To Strike Out NYSC Certificate Forgery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by chokekachy: 10:52am On Sep 10, 2023
The National Assembly Election Petitions Tribunal sitting in Enugu, weekend, sacked the House of Representatives member representing Aninri/Awgu/Oji-River Federal Constituency, Mr Chijioke Okereke.

Okereke is of the Labour Party (LP).

The three-man panel led by Justice Nusirat I. Umar declared Chief Anayo Onwuegbu of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) the winner of the election held on February 25, 2023.

THE WHISTLER reports that Onwuegbu, an engineer, had approached the tribunal challenging the victory of Okereke. Onwuegbu anchored his prayers on the grounds that Okereke’s name was not on the result sheet as the candidate of the Labour Party.

The panel, in the ruling, held that Okereke was not duly elected because it was not his name that was on the result sheet. The panel therefore directed the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, to issue a certificate of return to the PDP candidate.

Our correspondent gathered that it was the name of former minority leader of the House of Representatives, Mr Toby Okechukwu, that was on the list published by INEC for the election. Also, his name appeared on the result sheet and not that of Okereke.

Okechukwu had, before the election, disassociated himself from LP, paving the way for the emergence of Okereke, who approached a High Court sitting in Enugu where the court ruled in his favour to become the standard-bearer of Labour Party.

With his sack, he joins Prof Sunday Nnamchi representing Enugu-East/Isi-Uzo Federal Constituency, who was sacked on Thursday for wrong nomination.

Out of eight House of Representatives seats in Enugu State, LP won seven while PDP won one by in the last election.

https://thewhistler.ng/enugu-tribunal-sacks-another-labour-party-lawmaker/?fbclid=IwAR3yKHm8XiJTfPReBrEFIKX3IWfATSqqdmCbGvEJSiGTMBJOBarEGPwigp8

Okereke vows to appeal
09 | 09 | 2023

PRESS STATEMENT: PDP | LP TRIBUNAL JUDGEMENT.

Ndi Greater Awgu,

1. I want to address the recent judgment delivered by the election petition tribunal sitting in Enugu today regarding the petition filed by the People's Democratic Party and its House of Representatives candidate, Engr. Bedford Anayo Onwuegbu.

2. While I respect the tribunal's decision and the due process of our legal system, I must express my profound disappointment with the grounds and outcome.

3. As I mentioned in my previous speeches, our campaign and the subsequent election were driven by a commitment to inclusive, sustainable, and need-driven governance, as outlined in my manifesto.

4. The people of this constituency placed their trust in me, and I take that trust very seriously. I firmly believe that we received a strong mandate from the electorate to represent their interests and work towards their betterment.

5. Therefore, it is with a heavy heart that I announce our decision to pursue the protection of the people's mandate through the APPEAL COURT immediately.

6. We believe that the facts and merits of our case warrant a second look, and we are determined to exhaust all legal avenues to ensure that the voice of the people is heard and their mandate is upheld.

7. Our democracy is built upon the principle of the people's right to choose their representatives, and it is our duty to safeguard and protect that right.

8. We are not alone in this pursuit; we have the support and prayers of countless constituents who believe in the vision we presented during the campaign.

9. I want to assure you all that we will approach the appeal process with the utmost respect for the rule of law and with unwavering determination.

10. We will continue to advocate for the principles of inclusive, sustainable, and need-driven governance that we hold dear. Our resolve to serve the best interests of this constituency remains unshaken.

11. I call upon our supporters and well-wishers to remain steadfast and patient during this legal process. I also encourage all stakeholders, including our opponents, to respect the legal proceedings and uphold the values of our democratic system.

12. In closing, let me reaffirm our commitment to the people of this constituency. We are determined to see this through to the end, not just for ourselves but for the sake of every citizen who placed their trust in us.

13. Together, we will continue to strive for a brighter and more prosperous future for our constituency.

14. Thank you, and may justice prevail.

Hon. Engr. Chijioke Stanislaus Okereke - CSO (MHR). Deputy Chairman, House Committee on Science Research Institutions.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02MK3ifXjqk3bJEyPnFM8EBknuTsYmJHEYXfeCAF3vfRm7bToizWa4FjCSeGnhhosZl&id=100085505193746&mibextid=Nif5oz

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by SpecialAdviser(m): 10:56am On Sep 10, 2023
I have stopped celebrating or grieving any tribunal judgement. Justice in Nigeria is for the highest bidder. A lot of money judgements.

I am not surprised. Many innocent souls have been sentenced by corrupt Nigerian judges.

Those who celebrate these judicial recklessness will one day receive injustice. That is the Law of Carma. Keep supporting nonesense while your country goes down the drain. Enjoy your delusions. Magas

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by duro4chang(m): 11:04am On Sep 10, 2023
Labour party is a master rigger. They rigged well in the east during the last general election.

68 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by TemplarLandry: 11:16am On Sep 10, 2023
Very good.

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by TotoGame(m): 11:24am On Sep 10, 2023
duro4chang:
Labour is a master rigger

Is it that you can't read to understand or you just wanna display your acute stupidity

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by izonborn098(m): 11:25am On Sep 10, 2023

1 Like

Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by Jostoman: 11:29am On Sep 10, 2023
TotoGame:

Is it that you can't read to understand or you just wanna display your acute stupidity
dont mind him

13 Likes

Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by JetApartment: 11:29am On Sep 10, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Very good.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by duro4chang(m): 11:33am On Sep 10, 2023
TotoGame:

Will you keep quiet and go and mourn the sack of your Reps member! Labour party a party of riggers.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by Okoroawusa: 11:52am On Sep 10, 2023
SpecialAdviser:
I have stopped celebrating or grieving any tribunal judgement. Justice in Nigeria is for the highest bidder. A lot of money judgements.

I am not surprised. Many innocent souls have been sentenced by corrupt Nigeria judges.

Those who celebrate these judicial recklessness will one day receive injustice. That is the Law of Carma. Keep supporting nonesense while country goes down the drain. Enjoy your delusions. Magas
Once it doesn't go your way then judiciary is corrupt

68 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by complexstuffs(m): 12:25pm On Sep 10, 2023
SpecialAdviser:

I am not surprised. Many innocent souls have been sentenced by corrupt Nigeria judges.

Those who celebrate these judicial recklessness will one day receive injustice. That is the Law of Carma. Keep supporting nonesense while country goes down the drain. Enjoy your delusions. Magas

1) Peter Obi fought Chris Ngige in court and won to be governor in March 2006 but the judgement wasn't bought
2) Peter Obi was impeached in November, 2006 but he went to court and won in February 2007 but the judgement wasn't bought
3) Peter Obi also went to court to extend his tenor in court so that he could spend his 4 year tenure. He also won that case but the judgement wasn't bought

his is the first and only loss Peter Obi will have and suddenly the Judiciary is now suddenly filled with injustice, corrupt, bastardised etc all because he had a watery and sully case

That means Peter Obi also bought his judgements in all the cases he has been winning all these years

58 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by fasho01(m): 1:39pm On Sep 10, 2023
Party drama coming back to haunt them

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by tunjijones(m): 1:39pm On Sep 10, 2023
SpecialAdviser:

Hey!!!! Hope u are not saying this cos it was LP that was sacked for PDP. Cos I can't remember you typing this hogwash when APC was sacked for LP.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by Kestolove(m): 1:43pm On Sep 10, 2023
People that rig the election wia the one's shouting "all eyes on the judiciary"

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by Daddyyin: 1:46pm On Sep 10, 2023
complexstuffs:

1) Peter Obi fought Chris Ngige in court and won to be governor in March 2006 but the judgement wasn't bought
2) Peter Obi was impeached in November, 2006 but he went to court and won in February 2007 but the judgement wasn't bought
3) Peter Obi also went to court to extend his tenor in court so that he could spend his 4 year tenure. He also won that case but the judgement wasn't bought

his is the first and only loss Peter Obi will have and suddenly the Judiciary is now suddenly filled with injustice, corrupt, bastardised etc all because he had a watery and sully case

That means Peter Obi also bought his judgements in all the cases he has been winning all these years

Don't mind them. Justice must only favour LP

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by Passionate888: 1:46pm On Sep 10, 2023
Another one

2 Likes

Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by obembet(f): 1:47pm On Sep 10, 2023
Good for democracy.

Congratulations to the winner πŸ†

All we want is better Nigeria

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by condralbedez: 1:47pm On Sep 10, 2023
undecided
Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by kilonshele101(m): 1:47pm On Sep 10, 2023
Let justice prevail
Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by easyfem(m): 1:49pm On Sep 10, 2023
This one wey dem dey sack sack .... who go sack tinubu now ?
Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by Yibo(m): 1:52pm On Sep 10, 2023
AdaojoTheUrchin:
I am still waiting for these criminal Judges to sack LP's Oyibo and return Chimaroke the murderer to the Senate, who clearly failed..

It will be a call to anarchy in Enugu.

Let the Judges keep taking bribes and selling Judgement to stronger parties.

When the Chicken comes home to roost, they will remember that the court is human and has blood flowing in the veins.

I no longer blame soldiers who have ever taken part in a coup..
empty threats as usual

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by Beremx(f): 1:53pm On Sep 10, 2023
Labour party candidates are now becoming endangered species.

Na wa o!

1 Like

Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by Corrinthians(m): 1:54pm On Sep 10, 2023
Very useless party that would never do anything by the rules. Party of emergency candidates and social media popularity.

As stupid as Atikus Dubai Sever case was, the LP's case was ten times more so.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by SpecialAdviser(m): 1:56pm On Sep 10, 2023
tunjijones:

Hey!!!! Hope u are not saying this cos it was LP that was sacked for PDP. Cos I can't remember you typing this hogwash when APC was sacked for LP.
Whether APC or LP, the judiciary cannot be trusted
Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by osuofia2(m): 1:58pm On Sep 10, 2023
grin
Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by Cmanforall: 2:01pm On Sep 10, 2023
What
Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by Throwback: 2:02pm On Sep 10, 2023
The fall of Ellu Pii from top to bottom continues unabated.

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu: Tribunal Sacks House of Reps member Okereke (LP), Returns Pdp's Onwuegbu by Throwback: 2:02pm On Sep 10, 2023
Beremx:
Labour party candidates are now becoming endangered species.

Na wa o!

When you fail to follow the process but hypocritically challenge the process at the top, it will get to the bottom.

60 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fg Approves Contracts For Construction, Rehabilitation Of Road Projects At N169b / Buhari, Oshiomhole, Yahaya Bello Meet In Aso Rock / How NNPC Raised Crude Oil Production From 900,000bpd To 1.6mbpd (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.