Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,063 members, 7,810,957 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:29 PM

My Tenant Was Burnt To Death - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Tenant Was Burnt To Death (41651 Views)

Urgent! Should I Allow My Tenant Bury Her 1 Year Old Daughter In My Compound? / What My Tenant Sent Me This Morning / My Tenant Has Refused To Pack Out For Over A Year Now, Help Please! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Myer(m): 3:37pm On Sep 12, 2023
jmoore:

Because criminal is written on the face of the tenant, abi?

If you were to hand over your daughter for marriage, will you simply hand her over to any man simply by judging his looks?
Will you not do your due diligence and find out about him?

Why will you have a property and not be sure to at least do some due diligence?
Otherwise you're not worthy of that property.
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Wizcollifa(m): 3:40pm On Sep 12, 2023
Israel5:
I have just been informed by neighbours from my house in my home town that my tenant was burnt to death by people in the environment. They almost burnt my house too but for some interventions. They ransacked the entire house, burn any item they could find, cutting down trees and pulling down doors.

He was accused of stealing and selling children. Four children have been reported missing. He confirmed it, only that they can not be recovered. That was before they meted jungle justice on him. He was survived by a wife and four children. The family are in police custody now. All his properties brought out and set on fire.
As I write, I am in shock right now. I can't travel there. All the while this devil told me he deals with Rice and other food items. He usually comes to Abuja to sell his items, asking to visit my house but for some reason I refused to let him. I have never him physically though. I thought he was a good man, how that he helped secure the property. It was after his death yesterday, I got to find out that he rented other rooms to some students and was collecting rent. Unfortunately, the properties of these students were burnt too. Not my problem.

I have contacted a property lawyer, and sent him there. He confirmed the incident, but asked me to sell the entire property.

Is that the right call? Seeing that the people see the house as bad omen now.
Please what do I do? Am I going to be implicated? I don't know the devil.
stop saying what you don’t know, The man is a criminal, he had been involve in many crimes before in otukpo. He was sent parking from otukpa street because he stole a bike. He stole a child last two Saturday and he was caught last Saturday because someone saw him with the child. So he wasn’t accuse.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by socialmediaman: 3:40pm On Sep 12, 2023
HugeElephant:
If your hands are clean, walk up to the police station and visit the community leaders.
Explain everything as you have said it to them.

Don't go and live in the house for the time being and don't sell the property. You can rent it out after a while

From the complicated nature of the unfortunate incident, it's best to work with a lawyer, a well known one for that matter. Going to the police without one will only complicate things for him as the police may want to hold someone responsible (like a fall guy). His house may be sealed for investigations for a long time to come

I have seen a story (on nairaland) of a hotel that was demolished by a governor because it was connected or used for murder incidents. I think the owner of the hotel and his wife spent a lot of time in detention as well.

OP @Israel5 be careful about trying to sell the house quickly or tampering with evidence. Work closely with a lawyer and contact the police and tell them all you know. Let them take photos and do documentation and paperwork before you take further action. Due diligence is important when renting out properties or doing business with strangers.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by jmoore(m): 3:40pm On Sep 12, 2023
Myer:

If you were to hand over your daughter for marriage, will you simply hand her over to any man simply by judging his looks?
Will you not do your due diligence and find out about him?

Why will you have a property and not be sure to at least do some due diligence?
Otherwise you're not worthy of that property.

Due diligence, because you have the skills of FBI to spot criminals?

Do you know some criminals travel outside their domain to commit crime?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Wizcollifa(m): 3:44pm On Sep 12, 2023
zeuss:
I pray he is not a innocent man..... Set up by evil people. He is a hustler apparently not a criminal mind. He organizes and transports food items from benue to abj for income and he also sublet rooms in his home which is enterprise and in doing so expose himself and heinous activities to witnesses and scrutiny, not a likely scenario for a criminal mind.
The mob battered the man into confessing what he knows nothing about.
Come Otukpo come talk this rubbish, you go join am ASAP.
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Myer(m): 3:45pm On Sep 12, 2023
jmoore:

Due diligence, because you have the skills of FBI to spot criminals?

Do you know some criminals travel outside their domain to commit crime?

Bros, kindly answer pls, if it were your daughter, would you?
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Xkale1996(m): 3:46pm On Sep 12, 2023
Israel5:
I have just been informed by neighbours from my house in my home town that my tenant was burnt to death by people in the environment. They almost burnt my house too but for some interventions. They ransacked the entire house, burn any item they could find, cutting down trees and pulling down doors.

He was accused of stealing and selling children. Four children have been reported missing. He confirmed it, only that they can not be recovered. That was before they meted jungle justice on him. He was survived by a wife and four children. The family are in police custody now. All his properties brought out and set on fire.
As I write, I am in shock right now. I can't travel there. All the while this devil told me he deals with Rice and other food items. He usually comes to Abuja to sell his items, asking to visit my house but for some reason I refused to let him. I have never him physically though. I thought he was a good man, how that he helped secure the property. It was after his death yesterday, I got to find out that he rented other rooms to some students and was collecting rent. Unfortunately, the properties of these students were burnt too. Not my problem.

I have contacted a property lawyer, and sent him there. He confirmed the incident, but asked me to sell the entire property.

put heavy padlock for now
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Bravepenis: 3:46pm On Sep 12, 2023
Salary:

**Damn! How much does crime pay??

Crime pays with time and death 💀
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by IjebuWarrior: 3:47pm On Sep 12, 2023
waledeji:
E no go pass East na

Wa sere joor! Na dem get dat savage nature for body. Awon Oloriburuku eyan angry
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Confirmedzombie: 3:47pm On Sep 12, 2023
Everyday different bad news from the SE. I'm tired of reading bad news from the SE.

Federal Govt should close eyes and give them their Biafra so we can part ways.

Haba

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by jmoore(m): 3:49pm On Sep 12, 2023
Myer:

Bros, kindly answer pls, if it were your daughter, will you?
It's not a matter of daughter.
Point is due diligence can still fail. You can't know 100% about an individual.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Psady(m): 3:52pm On Sep 12, 2023
Israel5:
Please don't turn this into a tribal witch-hunt. I am not Igbo, and my hometown is not East. My hometown is in north central, and the Tenant happen to be from same state. I won't say more than this.
VAR would have been called upon if u didn't clear the fact about the tribe involved knowing the sort of degenerated set of folks here on nairaland.
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Dennisochampa: 3:53pm On Sep 12, 2023
Sell your house for what? Na u e dey sell the children give or na you dey send am message?

Oga don't sell the house.....
It's your tenant that is a devil not you.
There is no way you could have known that he's a devil in human form.
As long as you're not complicit in the whole issue, u have nothing to worry about.
When next you dey visit the house for inspection, carry some soldiers go just in case some animals decide to bring out the animals in them

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Michaelkelvin1(m): 3:56pm On Sep 12, 2023
Israel5:

I want to help but first of all which state is your building located I would like you understand the kind of environment before choosing to sell
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by gman55(m): 4:06pm On Sep 12, 2023
I suggest you lock up the property for a while, do not sell.
When the situation has calm down, try to reach the local chief and youth leader via your lawyer to sympathise with the loss.
It will turn around soon

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Subonbon(m): 4:08pm On Sep 12, 2023
Baba no sell kan kan....
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Myer(m): 4:15pm On Sep 12, 2023
Israel5:

How do you release your property without due diligence of who occupies it?
Even if you contracted it out to property agents, that property agency must be

You should ask for forgiveness other wise the blood of those children can be on your head crying for justice because it is on your property.
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by SenecaTheYonger: 4:20pm On Sep 12, 2023
Israel5:

Omo, OP sorry oh. I really hate things like this. You go just Dey your own person go carry unimaginable problem come your side

4 Likes

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Clashhh1: 4:25pm On Sep 12, 2023
Neddstark:
Landlords need to do due diligence. It is your duty to know about every tenant in your house. If your tenant is a cultist, high possibility that a murder can happen in your house. If your tenant is like what the OP said he was the. Things like this happen.
The house i presently am houses a weird single guy who lives isolatedly and seems to be on hard drugs.

I advise you to consider selling your property. A new buyer and developer will change the story of that house. Glad your house wasn't burnt. Time to move on.

That guy is a fraudster and he's not from your state.
I live with such a weird person too and na Yahoo boy wey just like low-key life. Nobody dey visit am not except hookup girls

1 Like

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by SKYHIGHfx: 4:27pm On Sep 12, 2023
Confirmedzombie:
Everyday different bad news from the SE. I'm tired of reading bad news from the SE.

Federal Govt should close eyes and give them their Biafra so we can part ways.

Haba
Of a truth, you are a confirmedzombie

1 Like

Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by dazzlingd(m): 4:27pm On Sep 12, 2023
Before you give out your house. Do a proper background check but some people are greedy. You see someone responsible and working legitimately, but rather give out your house to someone of questionable living because the person offers to pay more money
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by adolfHitler1934: 4:31pm On Sep 12, 2023
Neddstark:
Landlords need to do due diligence. It is your duty to know about every tenant in your house. If your tenant is like MArNNABBGRILLS, high possibility that idiotic,senseless, useless, unreasonable and foolish reasoning can happen in your house. If your tenant is like Tilimbu there is 101% possibility of that property to be turned to a drug warehouse.
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by CORRECTMAN78(m): 4:35pm On Sep 12, 2023
Waste/Corn region for life.

Once you a truck load of skuuull, it's the Waste. They want to mine themselves to extinction
Re: My Tenant Was Burnt To Death by Douglad: 4:37pm On Sep 12, 2023
ObiaboAdoka:

D tenant is into stealing nd selling children. D last one happened last week nd he was caught with d child. He confessed of stealing d one's before dis one. Nd jungle justice took place. D house he was occupying wasn't his Daz y it was not burn down.

Did the guy have a wife and kid like the guy in OP's story?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Aluminium Vs Asbestos Roofing Sheets. / "Please Piss Here, Ogun Needs It": Hilarious Inscription On A Fence In Jos! / Updated Cost Of Renting A 1 Bedroom Apartment In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.