Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,753 members, 7,813,478 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:48 PM

Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead (40499 Views)

Prince Harry, Meghan Involved In 'near Catastrophic Chase' / Israeli Forces Hit Hamas Military Intelligence Centre, Many Feared Dead / Philippine: Volcano Spews Ash, Steam And Lava. 8,000 People Evacuated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by nlfpmod: 9:04pm On Sep 11, 2023
CNN — More than 2,000 people in Libya are feared dead in severe flooding, according to a Libyan leader, as Storm Daniel swept through the eastern part of the country.

The head of Libya’s eastern parliament-backed government, Osama Hamad, announced the death toll on Monday, according to a report from state news organization Libyan News Agency.

“Osama Hamad said in press statements that residential neighborhoods disappeared after the torrents swept them into the sea along with thousands of their residents, and the situation is catastrophic and unprecedented in Libya,” LANA reported.

CNN has not been able to independently verify the number of deaths, and Hamad did not give a source for the number of dead and missing.

Footage shared on social media shows submerged cars, collapsed buildings and torrents of water rushing through streets.

Hamad called on medical personnel and medical assistants to go to the badly affected city of Derna in eastern Libya to provide assistance immediately.

Phone lines were down in Derna and pictures shared by the Red Crescent showed severely flooded streets.

The Red Crescent in Benghazi said on Monday they estimate 150 to 250 people are dead in the city of Derna, according to Reuters.
Hospitals in the eastern city of Bayda were evacuated after severe flooding from rainfall caused by a heavy storm, videos shared by the Medical Center of Bayda on Facebook showed.

This rain is the result of the remnants of a very strong low-pressure system, which was officially named Storm Daniel by the national meteorological services in southeastern Europe.

The storm brought catastrophic flooding to Greece last week before moving into the Mediterranean and developed into a tropical-like cyclone known as a medicane. These systems can bring dangerous conditions to the Mediterranean Sea and coastal countries, similar to tropical storms and hurricanes in the Atlantic or typhoons in the Pacific.

The remains of the storm are affecting northern Libya and will slowly head east toward northern Egypt. Rainfall for the next two days could reach 50mm – this region averages less than 10mm across the whole of September.

“The United Nations in Libya is closely following the emergency caused by severe weather conditions in the eastern region of the country,” said the United Nations Support Mission in Libya in a post on X (formerly known as Twitter).

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/09/11/africa/libya-flooding-storm-daniel-climate-intl/index.html

2 Likes

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by TemplarLandry: 9:05pm On Sep 11, 2023

98 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by Hezzyluv: 9:05pm On Sep 11, 2023
2,000 human lives no be here cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

Since US killed Muammar Gaddafi, the Country of Libya na shadow of its self.

161 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by Acekidc4(m): 9:06pm On Sep 11, 2023
What's happening like this 😲 Shey Rapture have want to Come Ni 🤔🧐

127 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by Righteousness2(m): 9:08pm On Sep 11, 2023
Condolences to the people of Libya.

From Africa to Europe to Asia to Australia to America, it is unprecendented Floods, Fires, typhoons, Earthquakes, Wars, and Disasters.

I Sincerely Believe GOD is warning an Unsaved and Unrepentant world that HIS final Judgements are at the door step .

We are Currently witnessing events that will continue to be more Frequent and more Intense until GOD pours out HIS Final Judgements on an Unbelieving and Unrepentant world.

Fasten your seat belts.
Bible prophecy is accelerating at a High rate of Speed.

The Coming of JESUS CHRIST is soooooo imminent.
REPENT and BELIVE on JESUS CHRIST so as to be Escape what is Coming on this Sinking Filthy World.

108 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by Aonkuuse(m): 9:10pm On Sep 11, 2023
Rip.... I think no matter how you choose not to believe in the bible, I think the end Jesus spoke about is at hand. Africa was just watching how these natural disasters were happening in other continents but now it has reached Africa, may God help us

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by eepeepook: 9:21pm On Sep 11, 2023
2,000 deaths here. 2,000 deaths from the Morrocan earthquake. I don't believe the figures. Since idiot Africans are too lazy to physically investigate, let's rely on the white man's made up "facts."

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by MrsTwrite(f): 9:21pm On Sep 11, 2023
Omg! cry
Natural disaster.

1 Like

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by Juicethekid: 9:21pm On Sep 11, 2023
Too bad rip

I can help you write unique blog posts, Articles Contents and Company reviews /description.

Reach me via : 090 75 152 629

1 Like

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by kennyz247(m): 9:21pm On Sep 11, 2023
God have mercy on ur people

1 Like

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by Primusinterpares(m): 9:22pm On Sep 11, 2023
My condolences.
But what is actually wrong with this recent natural disasters happening?

Let's preserve the earth by reducing human activities that poses threat to the environment and the eco system

1 Like

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by theophorus(m): 9:22pm On Sep 11, 2023
When a Country is filled with Wickedness, Disaster will decorate such Country.

Libyans better repent before more severe things start happening

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by eepeepook: 9:22pm On Sep 11, 2023
Righteousness2:

From Africa to Europe to Asia, Australia to America, it is unprecendented Floods, Fires, typhoons, Earthquakes, Wars, and Disasters.

I Sincerely I Believe GOD is warning an Unsaved and Unrepentant world that HIS final Judgements are at the door step .

We are Currently witnessing events that will continue to be more Frequent and more Intense until GOD pours out HIS Final Judgements on an Unbelieving and Unrepentant world.

Fasten your seat belts.

REPENT and BELIVE on JESUS CHRIST so as to be Escape what is Coming on this Sinking Filthy World.
...and then they lived happily ever after.

6 Likes

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by Sharpsharp00123: 9:22pm On Sep 11, 2023
One thing I realize is that Libya have never been d same since gaddaffi was ousted

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by southsouthking(m): 9:22pm On Sep 11, 2023
Pray for North Africa.

1 Like

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by Sonnobax15(m): 9:22pm On Sep 11, 2023
lipsrsealed
Libya don too suffer cha....

Imagine losing millions of her citizens to crisis and now natural disasters like this....

It's well indeed

1 Like

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by Cmeo(m): 9:23pm On Sep 11, 2023
Hmm

True story:
I went to my farm recently in a town that was announced to be expecting flood. I was asking why it had not rain for quite sometimes but a resident of the village told me that the spiritualist in the town has diverted the rain as a result of impending flood expected in town. And now, I am reading that Libya (a country with close proximity to desert) experienced flooding while the town whose flood has been predicted repeatedly now have the flood alert cancelled.

Now, I am wondering if those spiritualists truly diverted the rain as insulated by my town person.

2 Likes

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by atobs4real(m): 9:23pm On Sep 11, 2023
May the Almighty God help them. After going through a lot of challenges

3 Likes

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by BloomingDale(f): 9:23pm On Sep 11, 2023
Righteousness2:

From Africa to Europe to Asia, Australia to America, it is unprecendented Floods, Fires, typhoons, Earthquakes, Wars, and Disasters.

I Sincerely I Believe GOD is warning an Unsaved and Unrepentant world that HIS final Judgements are at the door step .

Fasten your seat belts.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by Guyman01: 9:23pm On Sep 11, 2023
This picture reminds us about the evil of the west in Africa.

12 Likes

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by SETHARTHUR(m): 9:23pm On Sep 11, 2023
I don't understand 2,000 people or 200 people. How many will now remain in them?
BTW I thought north Africa is desert, how come the flood. Any near by ocean.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by mecuries(m): 9:24pm On Sep 11, 2023
Hezzyluv:
2,000 human lives no be here cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

Since US killed Muammar Gaddafi, the Country of Libya na shadow of its self.
the country was thriving prior to Gaddafi being killed... Believe the westerns at your own will

6 Likes

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by Galaticos444: 9:25pm On Sep 11, 2023
Is it another form of Arab Spring but this time it's nature?rest in peace to d death
Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by SyrusdeHansome(m): 9:25pm On Sep 11, 2023
Terrible things are happening in north Africa. First it was earthquake in Morocco nd now flood in Lybia. I think the remaining north African countries shud start preparing because it may also hit them soon.
Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by oluseyiforjesus(m): 9:25pm On Sep 11, 2023
Climate change

1 Like

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by monsuru56(m): 9:26pm On Sep 11, 2023
lipsrsealed
Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by emoboy4u: 9:26pm On Sep 11, 2023
Disasters are happening daily, you only see the one that gets to the news..

3 Likes

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by DaTruths: 9:27pm On Sep 11, 2023
Airtel why una network slow, abi eyes dey pain my phone?

1 Like

Re: Catastrophic Flooding In Libya: 2,000 People Feared Dead by Seefinish: 9:28pm On Sep 11, 2023
What's happening in Africa?
We are still mourning Morocco and now Libya.
God save us

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How China Helped Remove Robert Mugabe, ‘Dozing Despot’ / President Trump Develops Fever, Flown To Walter Reed Hospital / Australia Welcomes 2021 With Sydney Fireworks Display

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.