Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,890 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:17 AM

What The Bible Say About Sports! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What The Bible Say About Sports! (12721 Views)

What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? / What Does The Bible Say About Sex Before Marriage? / What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What The Bible Say About Sports! by plappville(f): 8:49pm On Oct 17, 2011
Just want to know if its against the biblie for a christian practising sports like Judo, Wresling, Boxing etc.
I ve not come across a verse yet but someone told me, they re not a biblical surported.
What do u know about this? Ur views are needed plz.
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by jayriginal: 10:30pm On Oct 17, 2011
Why dont you read the bible from cover to cover, or you could ask the holy spirit for "revelation".
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by plappville(f): 11:25pm On Oct 17, 2011
I am reading it, i am yet to arrive at this varse, u cant know everything if u ve not finish gen to rev.

Thx for ur views.
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by harakiri(m): 3:32am On Oct 18, 2011
Last time I checked, the history of sporting events is all about giving glory to greek gods. The first amphitheatre/stadia was dedicated to hercules. Events such as running,wrestling,javelin,shot put etc were all praticed during the Zeus worshiping days.

Going by bible "principles", everything about sports is a sin coz it's giving glory to other gods and yet, you will see people like TB Joshua decieving people with soccer "predictions". Only if people knew the true symbolism of eaching sporting event.

And the reetards will still have the effrontery to say we Atheists are "confused fools". Really? Who are the real big fools now huh? HuhuhuhuHahahahahaha! ! !

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by plappville(f): 1:37pm On Oct 18, 2011
@harakiri, if u ve a heavy heart with God that is ur own cup of tea.
Thank u though for contributing.
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by harakiri(m): 3:00pm On Oct 18, 2011
plappville:

@harakiri, if u ve a heavy heart with God that is your own cup of tea.
Thank u though for contributing.

Please, try and see things from a broader perspective before commenting. The problem with religious folks like you is that you find it hard to handle bare cold facts concerning what you believe in. You opened a thread titled "what does the bible say about sports". I can assure you that there is no where in the bible where sporting activities is mentioned (if it was, it would be deemed as idol worship). In my previous comment, i made it clear that the history of sports is associated with the worship of Greek gods. Do not take my word for it. If you doubt me, do your research and see what you come up with. The first stadia/amphitheater was dedicated to Hercules. What does that tell you?

Do your own research and you'll see everything for yourself (if you are willing to face the cold truth). Nobody is attacking your religion or has issues with your god. It's the simple basic truth i'm telling you. You don't have to get all insecure about it and make it all about your god. Find out the truth for yourself and prove me wrong (if you can).

Nuff said!
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by Daiquiri: 3:21pm On Oct 18, 2011
plappville:

Just want to know if its against the biblie for a christian practising sports like Judo, Wresling, Boxing etc.

I ve not come across a verse yet but someone told me, they re not a biblical surported.

What do u know about this? your views are needed plz.

Well Isaac was sporting with Rebekah his wife and it wasnt held against him

And it came to pass, when he had been there a long time,
that Abimelech king of the Philistines looked out at a window,
and saw, and, behold, Isaac was sporting with Rebekah his wife
- Genesis 26:8

On a serious note, here are some facts

Judo or Wrestling mentioned in the Bible - Genesis 32:24

Also on record that Paul fought a good fight (i.e. possibly boxing) - 2 Timothy 4:7
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by JeSoul(f): 3:30pm On Oct 18, 2011
^Harakiri, your point about the historical associations of sports with greek mythological gods is noted.
But surely, you are aware of many many activities, practices, occasions that were previously associated with the veneration of idols that are NOW relatively innocuous? that christmas may have had pagan beginings doesn't mean modern day folks like myself cannot hijack it, attach our own meaning and significance to it.

^unless you weren't saying anything to the contrary? if so then pls ignore that bit.

@Plappville,
 Harakiri is right. There's nowhere in the bible that talks about sports. However, I believe we can use certain general guidelines and principles - just like we apply in our lives everyday - in sports. I'm a huge sports fan so this is right up my alley smiley. Judo, wrestling & boxing . . . I think we will all approach this based on whatever cultures we come from.

For some cultures, wrestling is an everyday way of life and is even a treasured social event that members of the community take part in. For others wrestling (and especially boxing) is 'barbaric' and has no place in a civilized society. One man's meat - another man's poison. I once saw a program on 'christian wrestling', they were using their club and gym to reach out to fellow wrestlers - how can you hate on that because we don't understand their way of life?

So what the does the bible say about sports? Nothing. But it says "Let each man be convinced in his own heart" about whatsoever he does and believes. So if a christian's motives are proper in the sight of God - then the rest of us should mind our own motives. It also says in all things to love, respect and treat your neighbor as yourself - 1Be a Fair & Respectful Competitor. It says to study to show yourself approved, keep yourself alert and try to better yourself in everything and it says to work in whatever you do as though working for God 2Aim to be the Best Athlete in your sport. It says your life now belongs to Christ and you've been created for good works and to win souls so, 3Winning the game isn't everything, representing Christ comes first etc etc.

As a side note, I never pray for any team/country to win - that I think is a direspectful prayer to pray and I dare not. What I may pray for is certain individuals on the team, for their success (whether its winning or losing) and that above all God's name be glorified.
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by Nobody: 4:16pm On Oct 18, 2011
JeSoul:

^Harakiri, your point about the historical associations of sports with greek mythological gods is noted.
But surely, you are aware of many many activities, practices, occasions that were previously associated with the veneration of idols that are NOW relatively innocuous? that christmas may have had pagan beginings doesn't mean modern day folks like myself cannot hijack it, attach our own meaning and significance to it.

Interesting. Nice that you pointed out that it may have had pagan beginnings. Now, if only you could convince the rest of your folks. The day after thanksgiving they are going to start complaining about, " the war against CHRISTmas".

They won't be satisfied with," happy holidays" because the "atheists are trying to take Christ out of Christmas". Happy holidays means you can insert whatever floats your boat without alienating anyone. Christmas, Kwanzaa, hannukah, pagan festivals etc.

@Harakiri

I don't think the Greeks " invented sports". Every culture had their own games, the Greeks just did it on a larger scale and since modern day culture has extensive Hellenistic roots, we can say they invented sports as we know it.

Graeco-Roman wrestling= Gidigbo (eg okonkwo)
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by harakiri(m): 4:41pm On Oct 18, 2011
@Martian

I get your points and I'm aware other nations had their own sporting event versions. What I tried getting across was that the most popular sports we know today (which are celebrated in the olymipics) are from greek god worship. Is it a coincidence that the four year interval competition called the "olympics" was actually derived from the greek word OLYMPUS and olympus happens to be the dwelling place of the almighty god Zeus (I know you already knew that but I'm it out for the benefit of others). The four year break in between the olympics is not for the sake of sports rather it's a time set for celebrating the gods (especially Hercules). It's all about replaying the trials of Hercules in different challenges to prove who's the strongest of men. Do I need to explain the symbolism of the olympic flame?

@plappville

Have you seen one verse that says anything about sports yet? I doubt that. And yet, you'll see "men of god" giving "prophesies" and "visions" concerning sporting events. Didn't TB Joshua say something about "seeing" one goal? Did it finally end with one goal? Lol
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by JeSoul(f): 5:02pm On Oct 18, 2011
harakiri:

@Martian
I get your points and I'm aware other nations had their own sporting event versions. What I tried getting across was that the most popular sports we know today (which are celebrated in the olymipics) are from greek god worship. Is it a coincidence that the four year interval competition called the "olympics" was actually derived from the greek word OLYMPUS and olympus happens to be the dwelling place of the almighty god Zeus (I know you already knew that but I'm it out for the benefit of others). The four year break in between the olympics is not for the sake of sports rather it's a time set for celebrating the gods (especially Hercules). It's all about replaying the trials of Hercules in different challenges to prove who's the strongest of men. Do I need to explain the symbolism of the olympic flame?
Nicely said Harakiri. It is very true that many of our practicies today (not just sports self) are rooted in traditions that many of us are unaware of . . . please do say a bit on the significance of the flame.

Martian:

Interesting. Nice that you pointed out that it may have had pagan beginnings. Now, if only you could convince the rest of your folks. The day after thanksgiving they are going to start complaining about, " the war against CHRISTmas".
  Lol grin lef us jor. Na lie some hardcore non-religious folk are trying to even stop churches & private residences from displaying nativity scenes - if you don't like it commot your eye jor cheesy and stop spoiling it for the vast majority who are either fine with it or could care less about it.

Its usually a very small minority who are very aggressive and make enough loud noise that it seems like all the world is 'attacking christmas'.

They won't be satisfied with," happy holidays" because the "atheists are trying to take Christ out of Christmas". Happy holidays means you can insert whatever floats your boat without alienating anyone. Christmas, Kwanzaa, hannukah, pagan festivals etc.
My own bone has always been why does it have to be offensive or 'alienating', someone elses choice of religious celebration? Why do we have to pick a 'safe word' because people are not smart and respectful and tolerant of others enough to acknowledge their religion or faith and let them be?

I have no qualms with anyone telling me Happy Hannukah, Happy Kwanza, Eid-El-Fitri, Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays. I will eat my own share of the cake or cow. Nothing offends me and I would like for my own choice to not offend anyone. They are merely words - adopted and used in a celebratory spirit - people who get offended by such have other more serious problems I think grin
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by harakiri(m): 7:09pm On Oct 18, 2011
@JeSoul,

From what I can remember concerning Greek mythologies, the running athlete carrying a burning torch in today's olympics is symbolic with the tale of promotheus who is said to have stolen fire from the eternal burning altars of Zeus and his wife Hera. Fire was a symbol of eternity/life in those days. I know I'm deviating right now but everything from the olympics,"christian festivals,days of the week/months and even a lot of practices done in church today ALL have idol worship backgrounds. To be frank, all people do today is worship a "repackaged" form of idol worship! Now, ain't that something, lol.
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by wetu: 7:26pm On Oct 18, 2011

1Jn 2:15  Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

That is what the Bible says about sports if we can agree that sports are part of the things that are in the world

same with movies etc, But let everyone be fully persuaded in his own mind (Romans 14)

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by Daiquiri: 7:46pm On Oct 18, 2011
Keeping to the OP's question and scope was deliberate

Too many liberties taken or assumptions made

Interesting how OP's practising sports has now turned to competing in Olympics?

wetu:

1Jn 2:15  Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

That is what the Bible says about sports if we can agree that sports are part of the things that are in the world

same with movies etc, But let everyone be fully persuaded in his own mind (Romans 14)

If wrestling is now of the world, I wonder why Jacob bothered wrestling with God then

Legalism beware.
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by harakiri(m): 8:08pm On Oct 18, 2011
@daiquiri,

The thread hasn't gone far so it's still easy to follow through. Did you even read before commenting? The OP asked about bible and sports. Now most sports commonly practiced today have greek origin and from what I said, JeSoul wanted me to shed more insight to the benefit of everyone. Why can't you people learn to read before commenting? Is the olympics not a sporting event? Don't Christians participate in the olympics? Is the any sporting event illustrated in the bible?

Kai! Na wa 4 d pipo ooo!
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by Daiquiri: 8:36pm On Oct 18, 2011
harakiri:

@daiquiri,

The thread hasn't gone far so it's still easy to follow through. Did you even read before commenting?
The OP asked about bible and sports. Now most sports commonly practiced today have greek origin and from what I said, JeSoul wanted me to shed more insight to the benefit of everyone. Why can't you people learn to read before commenting? Is the olympics not a sporting event? Don't Christians participate in the olympics? Is the any sporting event illustrated in the bible?

Kai! Na wa 4 d pipo ooo!

^

and not sporting event or olympics
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by JeSoul(f): 9:45pm On Oct 18, 2011
^Abeg leave the guy jor cheesy grin His points are not altogether outside the scope of the discussion now . . . besides, I'm learning some cool things I didn't previously know smiley

harakiri:

@JeSoul,

From what I can remember concerning Greek mythologies, the running athlete carrying a burning torch in today's olympics is symbolic with the tale of promotheus who is said to have stolen fire from the eternal burning altars of Zeus and his wife Hera. Fire was a symbol of eternity/life in those days.
Thanks for that info. Greek mythology is just so fascinating to me . . .

I know I'm deviating right now but everything from the olympics,"christian festivals,days of the week/months and even a lot of practices done in church today ALL have idol worship backgrounds. To be frank, all people do today is worship a "repackaged" form of idol worship! Now, ain't that something, lol.
Lol hol' on der cowboy  smiley . . . the heart of your post is definitely on point, but I think you're a bit off on the conclusion. If I may . . .

suppose Egusi soup was the soup of creation & choice for native practitioners, and whenever rituals were conducted they used Egusi soup to consummate the act . . . does it mean whenever egusi soup is cooked & served in future generations down the line, they are conducting & consummating a ritual?

Whatever significance - or lack of - that a person attaches to what they're doing is what counts. Na perspective wey matter for here. To Usain Bolt he's merely running a race for cash and fame and honor, I doubt a greek thought has ever crossed his mind.
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by Nobody: 11:40pm On Oct 18, 2011
.@harakiri
you make a lot of sense.
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by Image123(m): 11:57pm On Oct 18, 2011
Sport is basically entertainment, a pastime, competitive activity. Bible says "Rom 14:20  For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offense. "+Titus 1v15. It depends on your spiritual understanding and situation. Some things are not sin but may be wrong, and may cause others to sin. It is wrong not to keep to time, ti may be a sin or not a sin depending. God sees our hearts and weighs ALL our works. nevertheless, we should not live without concern for others, or satisfy our flesh, or abuse our use of the world. Whatsover we do, we should do all to the glory of God. That something is called sport/entertainment does not mean it's good. Gambling is sport to some, playing lotto is, strip dancing is, swallowing knives, r.omancing snakes, these are all sports. Almost anything can be made a sport.
Jdg 16:27  Now the house was full of men and women; and all the lords of the Philistines were there; and there were upon the roof about three thousand men and women, that beheld while Samson made sport.
1Corinth 7:31  And they that use this world, as not abusing it: for the fashion of this world passeth away.
We as believers are not to love the world, or the things that are in the world, just as someone else earlier posted. Whatever we meet in this world should be held with'loose hands'. i.e We should be willing to drop them anytime, no matter how much we enjoy them. that should be our attitude to the world and its system. Love God, love your neighbour as yourself. That simplehard command takes out competition, doesn't it. 'Cause if you truly loved your neighbour as yourself you would not want him to lose, or be hit, as you don't want to lose or be hit. So how the heavens do you win in sport? Take it as a sport, not 'do or die', out of my way, all i care is to win attitude, regardless of what happens to other competitors. Now, that's very hard, maybe humanly impossible to achieve. So we might both be involved in something(a 'good sport'), and my heart may be different from your heart. God sees both hearts, we see two sport men. Whatsover we do, we should do all to the glory of God. If there's a way possible for Judo, wrestling, boxing, gambling etc would glorify God. How it can be possible, if it is possible, by all means, then do it.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by nlMediator: 12:29am On Oct 19, 2011
Sport is part of bodily exercise which Paul told us is profitable, but only a little. I Tim. 4:8.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by Joagbaje(m): 7:10am On Oct 19, 2011
plappville:

The bible is not against any sport. Biblical writers like paul often use sporting activities for their illustration. He must have been a sport lover. He used track race, he used boxing ,he used body building etc for illustration.

1 Corinthians 9:26-27
26 Therefore I do not run uncertainly (without definite aim). I do not box like one beating the air and striking without an adversary. 27 But [like a boxer] I buffet my body [handle it roughly, discipline it by hardships] and subdue it, for fear that after proclaiming to others the Gospel and things pertaining to it, I myself should become unfit [not stand the test, be unapproved and rejected as a counterfeit].
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by wetu: 8:03am On Oct 19, 2011
Joagbaje:

The bible is not against any sport. Biblical writers like paul often use sporting activities for their illustration. He must have been a sport lover. He used track race, he used boxing ,he used body building etc for illustration.

Maybe he was a sport lover before his conversion, maybe he wasn't. But what I know is that after his conversion he said:

Php 3:7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
Php 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

1Co 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

"The Bible is not against sports"
"The Bible doesn't say anything against movies"
"The Bible doesn't say you cannot kiss a girl"

Those are childish things to say, for those who are feeding on milk,
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by plappville(f): 9:12am On Oct 19, 2011
Thanks to all for contributing, i must say this is the reason why i set up this thread, I personally did not think the bible stated any positive or negative word about sport.

harakiri:

Please, try and see things from a broader perspective before commenting. The problem with religious folks like you is that you find it hard to handle bare cold facts concerning what you believe in. You opened a thread titled "what does the bible say about sports". I can assure you that there is no where in the bible where sporting activities is mentioned (if it was, it would be deemed as idol worship). In my previous comment, i made it clear that the history of sports is associated with the worship of Greek gods. Do not take my word for it. If you doubt me, do your research and see what you come up with. The first stadia/amphitheater was dedicated to Hercules. What does that tell you?

Do your own research and you'll see everything for yourself (if you are willing to face the cold truth). Nobody is attacking your religion or has issues with your god. It's the simple basic truth i'm telling you. You don't have to get all insecure about it and make it all about your god. Find out the truth for yourself and prove me wrong (if you can).

Nuff said!

I do understand ur first post, but it didn't hit my needs. I didn't want to go searching internet or else i wouldn't ve the need to post this thread. I needed responds from some Christians here, i prefare.

You are right the bible didn't mentioned a perticular sport event, But Paul wrote some thisng about sport but this applies to spiritual matters to my understanding.

You made some point about the history of sports by the Greek as in giving glory to their gods, but they practice certain sports not all at that time. This was the reason why the Jews generally did not participated in or even supported Greek sports because they were done totally nude, violation of the Jewish practice.

wetu:

I get ur point, but u know that even in the movie or music world there are certain u can pick as worldly and others no, i think this applies in everything we meet on this planet. the intention of how something is been used/practice matters alot. The business of our lives as christians is not to please ourselves, but to please God. That is true Christianity, which makes Christ all in all. Though we are of different strength, capacities, and practices in lesser things, yet we are all the Lord's. I ve practice sport all my life but have never make it a priority to Gods work.
If we are to count worldly things, Jobs and businesses etc.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by kufreabasi(m): 9:15am On Oct 19, 2011
plappville:

Why not leave bible alone and continue with your sport. Is bible against creating wealth? Never blaspheme against Holy Spirit. You need not ask this kind of question.
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by Mojibola(m): 9:32am On Oct 19, 2011
Daiquiri:

Well Isaac was sporting with Rebekah his wife and it wasnt held against him

And it came to pass, when he had been there a long time,
that Abimelech king of the Philistines looked out at a window,
and saw, and, behold, Isaac was sporting with Rebekah his wife
- Genesis 26:8

On a serious note, here are some facts

Judo or Wrestling mentioned in the Bible - Genesis 32:24

Also on record that Paul fought a good fight (i.e. possibly boxing) - 2 Timothy 4:7

laff wan kill me!!
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by plappville(f): 9:46am On Oct 19, 2011
Image123:

Sport is basically entertainment, a pastime, competitive activity. Bible says "Rom 14:20  For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offense. "+Titus 1v15. It depends on your spiritual understanding and situation. Some things are not sin but may be wrong, and may cause others to sin. It is wrong not to keep to time, ti may be a sin or not a sin depending. God sees our hearts and weighs ALL our works. nevertheless, we should not live without concern for others, or satisfy our flesh, or abuse our use of the world. Whatsover we do, we should do all to the glory of God. That something is called sport/entertainment does not mean it's good. Gambling is sport to some, playing lotto is, strip dancing is, swallowing knives, r.omancing snakes, these are all sports. Almost anything can be made a sport.
Jdg 16:27  Now the house was full of men and women; and all the lords of the Philistines were there; and there were upon the roof about three thousand men and women, that beheld while Samson made sport.
1Corinth 7:31  And they that use this world, as not abusing it: for the fashion of this world passeth away.
We as believers are not to love the world, or the things that are in the world, just as someone else earlier posted. Whatever we meet in this world should be held with'loose hands'. i.e We should be willing to drop them anytime, no matter how much we enjoy them. that should be our attitude to the world and its system. Love God, love your neighbour as yourself. That simplehard command takes out competition, doesn't it. Cause if you truly loved your neighbour as yourself you would not want him to lose, or be hit, as you don't want to lose or be hit.' So how the heavens do you win in sport? Take it as a sport, not 'do or die', out of my way, all i care is to win attitude, regardless of what happens to other competitors. Now, that's very hard, maybe humanly impossible to achieve. So we might both be involved in something(a 'good sport'), and my heart may be different from your heart. God sees both hearts, we see two sport men. Whatsover we do, we should do all to the glory of God. If there's a way possible for Judo, wrestling, boxing, gambling etc would glorify God. How it can be possible, if it is possible, by all means, then do it.

Whatever we do should be to the glory of God. 1 Cor 10:31-32 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
1 Cor 15:57 But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
( i could remeber how we always put God first before we go for our competition and if victory, the Glory goes to him, by going to give offering in the church.

If Jesus approved todays athletes/sports, the answer maybe yes or no pending on the ones with bad reputations.
I will personally not practice wresling becos they fight Uncoved and ve a wild appearance, and its specific goal is to physicaly harm/injure the other to the point dat he is knocked unconscious dat he can no longer continue.
This act is voilent. (Just my own opinion though.)
And for Boxing, its same rules as wresling, body exposed during competition.
But that of Judo, the rules is different, body well coverd, and respect is showed befor and during the event.
and there is no brutal hiting during event.

(Romans 14:5) One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. Put this in the sport world, it may not be offensive to God for his children practising a sport.
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by plappville(f): 9:52am On Oct 19, 2011
kufreabasi:

Why not leave bible alone and continue with your sport. Is bible against creating wealth? Never blaspheme against Holy Spirit. You need not ask this kind of question.

How does this sound blaspheming.?? i didn't add OR remove to the bible.
Is it wrong to ask fellow christian?
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by denitro(m): 10:03am On Oct 19, 2011
Tennis was played in the bible
"And Joseph served in Pharaoh's court."
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by LordReed(m): 10:39am On Oct 19, 2011
@harakiri
Abeg take it easy with this your history lesson. Was soccer made to glorify any god? Was baseball? Was basketball? The main reason for sports was as a substitute to martial pursuits. As a King or Emperor you need your standing army to always be in top physical condition. Running, jumping, marathons and so on were ways to test the human physique of the soldiers not to dedicate to any god, a practical reason not a sentimental one. Did they do sports on feast days celebrating gods? Yes they did but that did not form the origins.

As for the bible, it does not condemn physical workouts. What the bible says is if you care so much for your body (that will age and die) why can't you care for your spirit (that is eternal)?
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by redleich(m): 10:49am On Oct 19, 2011
Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by HISchild: 10:58am On Oct 19, 2011
Most sports are not bad of themselves (track & field, & non-contact in general), but here's the thing.  The violent ones, the one's that involve possible harm to another, one should avoid. In ref. to Genesis 26:8, Isaac was playing with his wife, as a husband would his wife, not engaged in a sport.

The most important thing is this: GOD says

"He delighteth not in the strength of the horse: he taketh not pleasure in the legs of a man. The LORD taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy." - Psa 147:10-11

"For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come." - 1 Tim 4:8

All things regarding the physical / flesh are fleeting, thus, the emphasis of one's life should, by GOD's grace and mercy, be on The Lord GOD HIMSELF / The Lord JESUS CHRIST, on spiritual things.  “For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God,  neither indeed can be.”- Rom 8:6-7. As a competitive athlete, you will have to give a lot attention to your body. "It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life."- John 6:63

Whether for fun or for a living, we should be mindful that neither that sport nor anything else in one's life becomes one's god as a result of the attention we give that thing, i.e. the place and importance it holds in one's life, because the no. 1 commandment is: "And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment." - Mark 12:30

-----------
"Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest? For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word." -Isa 66:1-2

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Say About Sports! by badlaw(f): 11:09am On Oct 19, 2011
sports is meant for the worship of idol gods grin note that okay. smiley smiley while songs and praise is meant the true God

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Could The Prince Of Persia Restrain Angel Gabriel? / Eagle Prophet delivers Ernest Opoku from fornication / Camilla Mberekpe’s Confession: Is It African Magic Or Holy Spirit In Action?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.